Emotiva XPR-2 / 600x2 - Page 6 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #151 of 213 Old 12-17-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
whoaru99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,971
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Maybe Emotiva should take a clue from chasw98.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
whoaru99 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 213 Old 12-22-2013, 12:23 AM
Senior Member
 
johnplayerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 40

lol, thread starts on emotiva xpr 2 then goes everywhere else. In my books anyway more power is always good, and it really does not matter if you use it or not. My yamaha mx 1000 u 260 watt per channel never got used to full power on any set up i have used. Usually i would pushing 30 watt rms at most with efficient speakers or inefficient ones.

The toroid is suppose to be 2500 kva and weigh over 30 lbs in the Xpr 2. Coincidentally Triad magnetic supplies a toroid at 14.5 kg. which is 2.5 kva or 2500va, The toroid is 4.75 inches high or 120 mm in height. The width was not given. The exact size and weight seem to indicate this is the toroid used, or quite similiar. I included the link below to the toroid at mouser.

Given the width was not given, I wanted to estimate this, which i did by picture extrapolation. I resized the xpr 2 pic so you could measure 8.5 inches side to side.Then knowing the xpr 2 is 17 inches in width, i measured the width of the toroid at 3.5 inchs and multiplied by 2 to make up for half sizing. So this toroid appears to be 7 inches wide and 120mm or 4 .75 inches high and weight14.5 kgs.

I did the same estimation with the toroid in the cerwin vega cv 5000 and i get the exact same results. When my unit arrives monday or tuesday I will be able to confirm but they seem the same, so it is quite an oversized power supply in the Xpr 2.
It will be interesting to compare these two beasts, and seeing as the Cerwin Vega cv 5000 toroid rating was never published
it would appear that it is 2500 VA.

The output devices are advertised as 36 250 watt. When I looked around the only 250 watt output transistor available that I could find was Motorola. When looking at the internal pic of the xpr 2 the transistors used look like ON output transistors, (national semiconductor), not Motorola.I am thinking 250 watt output transistors must be a misprint, as the ON transistors list 250 volt and 150 watt each. It does not seem to make sense to use a 250 watt transistor, but if it is so much the better, but again maybe this is accidental on purpose embellishment?, or maybe I am just paying too much attention to details? LOL:)




http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Triad-Magnetics/VPT230-10870/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvwUzoUXIIvyTw34uqMHR%252buHSGQD8YLZ68%3d

A Good amplifier requires a adequate power supply, It does not matter what the amplifier is capable of if the power supply will not provide the power required. Most amplifiers have under rated power supplies. It is up to you to make sure you get the ones that are
least under rated if at all.
johnplayerson is offline  
post #153 of 213 Old 12-22-2013, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Geoff4RFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Just down aways from Stanley
Posts: 3,871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnplayerson View Post


lol, thread starts on emotiva xpr 2 then goes everywhere else. In my books anyway more power is always good, and it really does not matter if you use it or not..

We read the same book my friend!!!

LOL, this thread was a bit of a mess biggrin.gif Like the OP, I too run Polk RTiA9's, four of them. I've powered them with the XPA-3 and XPA-2 and DID notice a difference, the Polks do have a personality that's sensitive to power.

I've drooled over the XPR-X line since it's hit the market, but for now, I'm driving my mains with a pair of XPA-2's in bridged mode, oh yes, these are some sassy monoblocks biggrin.gif



Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat


Set up:
Integra 70.4--Oppo 103--LG50"Plasma--Emotiva: XPA-3, XPA-2 x 2--PolkAudio: RTiA9 x 4--CSiA6--FXiA6 x 4--Epik: Empire x 2--XBOX 360--Furez 10awg homemade cables
Geoff4RFC is offline  
post #154 of 213 Old 12-22-2013, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
whoaru99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,971
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnplayerson View Post

In my books anyway more power is always good, and it really does not matter if you use it or not.

Yeah, what someone buys is their own business, but in some cases what they buy is really a waste.

Take for instance my quite well-to-do Aunt. She bought a Mercedes AMG CL55 (roughly 500hp supercharged V8) back in the day. I know for a fact that she never, ever used that car anywhere remotely to its potential in any aspect of speed, acceleration, or handling. She bought it because she could but drove it like an old granny. I could care less that she spent her money on it, heaven knows she has plenty, but what a waste of a car.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
whoaru99 is offline  
post #155 of 213 Old 12-24-2013, 02:44 PM
Senior Member
 
johnplayerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Ok lets see if this works. The Emotiva Xpr 2 testing to see if it works.



http://youtu.be/Beh4r-Ly2j4

A Good amplifier requires a adequate power supply, It does not matter what the amplifier is capable of if the power supply will not provide the power required. Most amplifiers have under rated power supplies. It is up to you to make sure you get the ones that are
least under rated if at all.
johnplayerson is offline  
post #156 of 213 Old 12-24-2013, 02:45 PM
Senior Member
 
johnplayerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Whats the matter whoaru? You developing a sweat over the fact your switch mode power supplies will be garbage before mine lol, or maybe your just pissed my resale value will be near what I paid when it comes to resale. Yes 30 year old yamaha mx 1000 u will fetch me 800 each lol, That is the thing about most pro gear, more value vs consumer gear, but resale much poorer. I will have to live with the waste of those 4 cerwin vega cv 5000 i bought, as well as the 9 cerwin vega cv 2800, In 30 years they will probably be worth 200 each just for the metal recycle. The old school way is the green way, keeps all those switch mode power supplies out of the landfill.


Anyway for those that are serious about audio. My unit arrived. I have too much gear to do a permanent install any time soon, but I took the xpr 2 and hooked it up direct to a cd player with variable output, and then hooked up a cheapo pair of fluance speakers i bought for rear surrounds some years ago. The amplifier is excellent, The lighting nice, The meters rather useless as they do not really indicate anything more than an american audio db meter. I will be showing a video LOL. The video is before this as somehow I managed to get the posts reversed when editing.

Lenard audio on Landfills....................

However switch mode power supplies are extremely complex. The high switching frequency technology is in the Rf radio frequency band. This causes major headaches to technically manage containing Rf radiation from the printed circuit tracks and connecting wires within the circuit getting to the outside world and causing Rf noise contamination in radio and TV. Also the circuit operation is extremely fragile, and if any fault occurs (no matter how small) it contaminates almost every sector of the circuit.

Switch mode power supplies are non user serviceable, failures are simply dealt with by trashing the power supply and purchasing a new one. Attempting to service a switch mode power supply is virtually out of the question, except for fanatics who have infinite time. The technology is so complex and fragile that reliable operation after 7 years is not always expected but considered a blessing. As the world converts to using switch mode power supplies and PWM Class D audio amplifiers, they will eventually end up as the dominant mass of rubbish land fills.

A Good amplifier requires a adequate power supply, It does not matter what the amplifier is capable of if the power supply will not provide the power required. Most amplifiers have under rated power supplies. It is up to you to make sure you get the ones that are
least under rated if at all.
johnplayerson is offline  
post #157 of 213 Old 12-24-2013, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
duc135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,839
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnplayerson View Post

Whats the matter whoaru? You developing a sweat over the fact your switch mode power supplies will be garbage before mine lol, or maybe your just pissed my resale value will be near what I paid when it comes to resale.

No, he was just stating that often times, what people buy are a waste of money. Sure if I had the money I can build a 100MW power plant just for my use because more power is always better right? There comes a point when all that extra power is a waste if you never use it. In most cases, mid - high end AVRs already have more than enough extra power for the average user.
duc135 is offline  
post #158 of 213 Old 12-24-2013, 03:08 PM
Senior Member
 
johnplayerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Of course but that applies to everything. If you dont want a cadillac and desire a Vw beatle go buy one. I was buying houses when others were buying cars because i thought cars were a poor investment, I can buy more of them later by buying more houses first. Everyone makes their own choice. Many like renting and I am glad they do.smile.gif), if you want to can rent your gear too..... Merry Christmas:cool:

A Good amplifier requires a adequate power supply, It does not matter what the amplifier is capable of if the power supply will not provide the power required. Most amplifiers have under rated power supplies. It is up to you to make sure you get the ones that are
least under rated if at all.
johnplayerson is offline  
post #159 of 213 Old 12-24-2013, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
whoaru99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,971
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnplayerson View Post

Whats the matter whoaru? You developing a sweat

Not much slips by you, does it. LOL...

I'm glad you mentioned the Yamaha resale value though. My M-80s aren't worth as much as the MX-1000, but the M-80s are still selling for roughly twice what I paid for mine.

I don't buy new power amps because they're stable technology and it's like buying a new car, take the big beating as soon as you drive it off the lot.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
whoaru99 is offline  
post #160 of 213 Old 02-05-2014, 04:12 PM
Senior Member
 
johnplayerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I have solved for the lack of level controls on the emotiva xpr 2. This ART XL 231 solves the problem nicely. It also is known for generating quite a bit of heat, Something the Yamaha M series liked to generate especially with Class A on with two pairs of speakers running. I have solved the heat problem with an ATM Cool stack unit.

I have verified that this is the exact same toroidal transformer as in the Cerwin Vega Cv 5000. 2500 VA at 31 lbs. The xpr 2 is heavier due to increased case size, as well as very large heat sinks , which are no doubt required to passively cool at 600 watt Rms amplifier. All the caps in the emotiva are 10000 uf vs the cerwin vega having 15000 uf caps. I am pretty much willing to bet it will be very hard to tell the difference between the emo and the cerwin soundwise. I have not done a direct comparison yet, but based on the fact I already know what the CV 2800 sounds like on home audio speakers, I assume this is the case.

Twice the price for the prettier front face, and much like most top quality old school amps they tend to run for 30 plus years.... a time frame where one could easily have tossed 4 switch mode power supply amplifiers in the Landfill. My opinion , do not waste your money on lightweight inferior amplifiers. My paragraphs keep getting jumbled up hence the editing.

One of three Yamaha MX 1000U amplifiers has developed a slight crackling in the left output channel that does not change based on output level. This one will be going to the shop soon for its first fix after well over 30 years. Sounds like it is probably a capacitor.

A Good amplifier requires a adequate power supply, It does not matter what the amplifier is capable of if the power supply will not provide the power required. Most amplifiers have under rated power supplies. It is up to you to make sure you get the ones that are
least under rated if at all.
johnplayerson is offline  
post #161 of 213 Old 02-06-2014, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
whoaru99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,971
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 68
You are all about your opinion, that's for sure.

Switchmode amps are where it's at. More energy efficient, and less waste on copper and iron natural resources relative to all that wasted old school iron for something that's not even relevant to music reproduction. Keep deluding yourself that dinosaur technology is a good thing; LOL....

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
whoaru99 is offline  
post #162 of 213 Old 02-09-2014, 08:25 PM
Member
 
Ediddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I'm upgrading from a XPA-3 to an XPR-2 should be here this week.
Ediddy is offline  
post #163 of 213 Old 02-17-2014, 02:06 AM
Senior Member
 
johnplayerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Well at least that will be someone posting about the emotiva xpr 2 that actually has one lol.

Yes whoaru, my opinion is old school and smps is not where it is at, As old school still dominates the market with that 1956 Linn three stage topology, and standard unregulated supply.

It is there in black and white at lenard audio what real waste is. smile.gif)))

Quote Lenard Audio..

However switch mode power supplies are extremely complex. The high switching frequency technology is in the Rf radio frequency band. This causes major headaches to technically manage containing Rf radiation from the printed circuit tracks and connecting wires within the circuit getting to the outside world and causing Rf noise contamination in radio and TV. Also the circuit operation is extremely fragile, and if any fault occurs (no matter how small) it contaminates almost every sector of the circuit.

Switch mode power supplies are non user serviceable, failures are simply dealt with by trashing the power supply and purchasing a new one. Attempting to service a switch mode power supply is virtually out of the question, except for fanatics who have infinite time. The technology is so complex and fragile that reliable operation after 7 years is not always expected but considered a blessing. As the world converts to using switch mode power supplies and PWM Class D audio amplifiers, they will eventually end up as the dominant mass of rubbish land fills.

Pennies on the dollar vs a conventional power supply and still charging you as if you bought a toroid lol. Next best scam to actual snakeoil.

A Good amplifier requires a adequate power supply, It does not matter what the amplifier is capable of if the power supply will not provide the power required. Most amplifiers have under rated power supplies. It is up to you to make sure you get the ones that are
least under rated if at all.
johnplayerson is offline  
post #164 of 213 Old 02-17-2014, 02:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fatbottom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 4,846
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 339
can agree with whoaru99, yes buy stuff but sometimes you can go over the top. Done it myself, PC Ultra 13 in a 30m cubed room, close to 2KW of power..
Emotiva are coming over here but no proper importer as of yet.

Don't need 1000W x 5 ;-) but a good 100-200W per channel, 5/7 channel would be perfect, high quality

Pivetta Opera
Bose Jewel speakers.
fatbottom is offline  
post #165 of 213 Old 02-17-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
whoaru99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,971
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnplayerson View Post


Quote Lenard Audio..

LOL. Same old tired Lenard Audio quotes. Do you have any real opinion of your own?

Perhaps SMPS is too complex for Lenard Audio to get right or to repair but plenty of other companies can, and do..

I'll be sure to tell my 14 year old SMPS amps that Lenard Audio says they should have died 7 years ago. I bet they get a big laugh out of that...know I did. LOL....

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
whoaru99 is offline  
post #166 of 213 Old 02-18-2014, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
whoaru99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,971
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post

can agree with whoaru99, yes buy stuff but sometimes you can go over the top. Done it myself, PC Ultra 13 in a 30m cubed room, close to 2KW of power..
Emotiva are coming over here but no proper importer as of yet.

Don't need 1000W x 5 ;-) but a good 100-200W per channel, 5/7 channel would be perfect, high quality

I have no problems with power, per se. Heck, I have 5.6kW of amplification in my HT setup. Not huge compared to the top tier players, but it's still quite a lot relative to many, maybe most. I just like having fun with JP because of his staunch albeit somewhat misinformed/misguided opinions.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
whoaru99 is offline  
post #167 of 213 Old 07-30-2014, 06:45 AM
Newbie
 
roguemodel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This is an old thread so I'll be brief. Power is directly related to function. If you run 20.7 Maggies, then you do NEED the power to drive their potential. However, if you are running a highly efficient loudspeaker then power is then applied to transient response. I have measured a transient peak of over 300 watts instantaneous pull in the 30 HZ region. Therefore, power allows your loudspeaker to achieve maximum performance without running out gas. A Cerwin Vega amp, along with so many others, may have huge power specs, but sound downright crappy. Part of the almost $1800 cost built into the Emotiva XPR-2 is the highest in quality caps, rails, resistors, and of course, the transformer. Here is where you find the blackest black, resolution, detail, and perceived 3D imaging. In comparing the $1800 Emotive to an $18,000 boulder offered NO discernible difference in power output AND QUALITY OF REPRODUCTION. Will you ever see a review that states this? NO! You don't kill the golden goose that is "High End." The same MAY BE true in the Golden Ear Triton Ones. Giant killers do exist. So, does one NEED an $1800 amp? Well, does one need an $18,000 amp? Perception of value and one's own tastes are just that. I bought the Emotiva even though I could afford, without a sweat, the Boulder.
roguemodel is offline  
post #168 of 213 Old 07-30-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
grasshoppers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: aridzona
Posts: 2,206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguemodel View Post
This is an old thread so I'll be brief. Power is directly related to function. If you run 20.7 Maggies, then you do NEED the power to drive their potential. However, if you are running a highly efficient loudspeaker then power is then applied to transient response. I have measured a transient peak of over 300 watts instantaneous pull in the 30 HZ region. Therefore, power allows your loudspeaker to achieve maximum performance without running out gas. A Cerwin Vega amp, along with so many others, may have huge power specs, but sound downright crappy. Part of the almost $1800 cost built into the Emotiva XPR-2 is the highest in quality caps, rails, resistors, and of course, the transformer. Here is where you find the blackest black, resolution, detail, and perceived 3D imaging. In comparing the $1800 Emotive to an $18,000 boulder offered NO discernible difference in power output AND QUALITY OF REPRODUCTION. Will you ever see a review that states this? NO! You don't kill the golden goose that is "High End." The same MAY BE true in the Golden Ear Triton Ones. Giant killers do exist. So, does one NEED an $1800 amp? Well, does one need an $18,000 amp? Perception of value and one's own tastes are just that. I bought the Emotiva even though I could afford, without a sweat, the Boulder.
How did you measure the "transient peak of almost 300 watts"??
grasshoppers is offline  
post #169 of 213 Old 07-30-2014, 05:28 PM
Newbie
 
roguemodel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
transient power

An amplifier will generally have a low distortion ration pertaining to a flat steady low power signal. However, low power amplifiers can have issues with high and low frequency performance or, trip into excessive negative feedback. Measurements are done using slew rate and rise time in said transients. While you can measure a transient in terms of power, the distortion within the rise is nearly impossible to measure. Transient response is directly affected by the drivers and crossover filtering in the speaker. Here is a graph demonstrating “steady state” power output at 50 watts, and a transient wave at 800 watts.
Hardware used, not necessarily in this representation, includes a digital multimeter, an audio analyzer, oscilloscope, the amp, and A Texas Instruments PNP-APA evaluation program.Transient power is also referred to as "headroom" availability.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	powerfigure2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	189010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Power_Figure_1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	189018  

Last edited by roguemodel; 07-30-2014 at 05:32 PM.
roguemodel is offline  
post #170 of 213 Old 07-30-2014, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
grasshoppers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: aridzona
Posts: 2,206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 205
"Hardware used, not necessarily in this representation, includes a digital multimeter, an audio analyzer, oscilloscope, the amp, and A Texas Instruments PNP-APA evaluation program.Transient power is also referred to as "headroom" availability."

I was actually wondering what equipment YOU used to measure
The transient peaks. Seems like the above list might be pricey
For a regular amp user.
grasshoppers is offline  
post #171 of 213 Old 11-23-2014, 07:19 PM
Senior Member
 
johnplayerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by johnplayerson 


Quote Lenard Audio..



LOL. Same old tired Lenard Audio quotes. Do you have any real opinion of your own?

Perhaps SMPS is too complex for Lenard Audio to get right or to repair but plenty of other companies can, and do..

I'll be sure to tell my 14 year old SMPS amps that Lenard Audio says they should have died 7 years ago. I bet they get a big laugh out of that...know I did. LOL....
When I make quotes they usually reflect facts rather than my opinion, of which i agree with. I have always expressed my opinion, You have always expressed your desire to have fun and play games , and not be serious , as you have already previously said you were doing. Having your fun with JP>

Maybe you like Elliot sound quotes better............ Copy and paste..

SMPS are used because people want gear that's light, powerful and cool running. Manufacturers like them because they are fairly cheap to make, and shipping and handling costs are reduced because of the low weight. No more bulky transformers and huge capacitors.

Expected life of a conventional linear supply is close to infinite. There are few parts, all are easily procured (even custom transformers aren't overly expensive) and service is a breeze. Any SMPS can be expected to last until it's first used, and with any luck it can last for quite a few years thereafter. Will you be able to repair it in 20 or 30 years? Not a chance. The power supply and amplifier become electronic waste once the specialised ICs are no longer made. Some of these parts have a single production run, and are never made again.

Whether I like the idea or not is beside the point - this is what's being made today, and customers have to put up with it. DIY people will be making linear supplies for quite some time yet though, and they will most likely still be repairable in 50 years time!

For those who want to know more about SMPS in general, there is some more info on the ESP site, and the OnSemi reference has some excellent introductory info (although the very latest developments are not included as it was published in 2002). There is another OnSemi document that explains power factor correction.

A Good amplifier requires a adequate power supply, It does not matter what the amplifier is capable of if the power supply will not provide the power required. Most amplifiers have under rated power supplies. It is up to you to make sure you get the ones that are
least under rated if at all.

Last edited by johnplayerson; 11-24-2014 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Elliot sound quote.
johnplayerson is offline  
post #172 of 213 Old 11-23-2014, 07:24 PM
Senior Member
 
johnplayerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 40
It is my opinion , with all the cash I saved buying old school HPA Amplifiers, Along with the Cash I saved buying top quality yamaha amplifiers, that still work 30 years later, That buying one of these amplifiers is really just a drop in the bucket out of my savings. I still have not seen a single post on this XPR2 thread by an owner that even has one of these amplifiers lol. I did also save by buying mine used but I had to as emotiva did not want to ship.

Not to worry whoaru, most peoples Smps units die an early death in the power supply. Check out all the yamaha P units that are failing to power up. Sure there will be exceptions from a sample of 100000, or so, with a standard deviation of whoaru, and a permutation of whoaru , that but is not going to change the real life expectations, from this newer and inferior design.

The best thing about the new lighter 10 lb class d units they are making, is that they can easily be carried out 10 at a time, either by a sound pro, or a thief wanting to cash in on someones audio.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SUC51826.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	485.5 KB
ID:	382122  

A Good amplifier requires a adequate power supply, It does not matter what the amplifier is capable of if the power supply will not provide the power required. Most amplifiers have under rated power supplies. It is up to you to make sure you get the ones that are
least under rated if at all.

Last edited by johnplayerson; 11-24-2014 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Is there an actual owner of the XPR 2 on this thread. I see only one.
johnplayerson is offline  
post #173 of 213 Old 11-23-2014, 07:27 PM
Senior Member
 
johnplayerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 40
The cash savings revealed. If the thumbnail ever works. It would seem to me the majority of people on AVS think saving money is buying proven new technology that has also already been proven to not last.

The same majority probably also feel 2 ohm loading and using less amplifiers is saving them money, and even after frying a few amplifiers , continue to believe this is a beneficial shortcut, that gives them high sound quality, and savings. I see all this right here on AVS and can't believe it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SUC51826.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	485.5 KB
ID:	382130  

A Good amplifier requires a adequate power supply, It does not matter what the amplifier is capable of if the power supply will not provide the power required. Most amplifiers have under rated power supplies. It is up to you to make sure you get the ones that are
least under rated if at all.

Last edited by johnplayerson; 11-23-2014 at 07:49 PM. Reason: looking for an actual owner lol, got to learn how to type
johnplayerson is offline  
post #174 of 213 Old 11-23-2014, 08:10 PM
Senior Member
 
johnplayerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Here is another example of where I put all my savings. What I like to do, is have fun with audio equipment, I do not try to have fun with audio on audio forums, at the expense of other people. Notice I moved the location of the XPR 2. Always changing things here.

$6600.00 list, worth of Audio metering. Almost as much fun as RTA's.


A Good amplifier requires a adequate power supply, It does not matter what the amplifier is capable of if the power supply will not provide the power required. Most amplifiers have under rated power supplies. It is up to you to make sure you get the ones that are
least under rated if at all.

Last edited by johnplayerson; 11-23-2014 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Oh where or where are those XPR 2 owners!!
johnplayerson is offline  
post #175 of 213 Old 11-24-2014, 03:20 PM
Senior Member
 
johnplayerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I found this quote online in regards to the emotiva XPR 1. Seeing as both the XPR1 and XPR2 are the same design, I imagine same would apply for the XPR 2.

Thank you for your interest in Emotiva. 4 ohms is not the minimum impedance that the XPR-1 monoblocks are able to support. That is just the lowest power rating that we provide. Customers are using the XPR-1 monoblocks to support Martin Logan speakers such as the Montis which drop to 0.52 ohms at their minimum impedance and the XPR-1 handles them with ease. The XPR-1 monoblocks have a 2.5 kVA toroidal transformer and 240,000µF of secondary capacitance in order to support current swing of demanding speakers. Yes, Thiel speakers do like a lot of current but there are certainly more current demanding speakers on the market and the XPR-1 monoblocks will be able to power them. Since you already have the 20 amp circuits installed there will not be an issue to operate these amplifiers to their full potential. I disagree with this person’s comment about being a lower class product as I have personally replaced Krell, Bryston, and McIntosh amplifiers in our customers’ systems with our amplifier of both the XPR and XPA line of amplifiers. The XPR-1 monoblocks is a fully balanced, fully differential design that is going to compete with other monoblocks 10x their cost. If you have any further questions please let us know. Thank you for your consideration.



Nick Kaumeyer

Sales Representative

Emotiva Audio Corporation

The XPR 2 is a pretty good amplifier at a cheaper cost than even the Crest CA 18. I could have bought two more Cerwin Vega CV 5000 Ampliers however lol.

A Good amplifier requires a adequate power supply, It does not matter what the amplifier is capable of if the power supply will not provide the power required. Most amplifiers have under rated power supplies. It is up to you to make sure you get the ones that are
least under rated if at all.
johnplayerson is offline  
post #176 of 213 Old 11-27-2014, 11:24 PM
Senior Member
 
johnplayerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
Maybe Emotiva should take a clue from chasw98.
I do not see chasw98 bragging about all those low grade, low temp, 85 degree caps QSC used in the PLX power supplies, and I doubt Emotiva would even think of using such low standards. All Caps are high grade, low esr, 105 C . Maybe QSC and Chasw98 should take a clue from Emotiva

Last time I checked the CV 5000 and other HPA series amps they too at least had 105 C capacitors in the power supply.

It would seem all the big higher priced names, who have always bragged about using better parts,(without specifying what parts used were better and why), are now being exposed via online pics and videos with the cover off.


azz7686 likes this.

A Good amplifier requires a adequate power supply, It does not matter what the amplifier is capable of if the power supply will not provide the power required. Most amplifiers have under rated power supplies. It is up to you to make sure you get the ones that are
least under rated if at all.

Last edited by johnplayerson; 11-27-2014 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Facts are facts. Opinions are just Opinions.
johnplayerson is offline  
post #177 of 213 Old 12-19-2014, 08:24 AM
Senior Member
 
JimSatala77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Can someone who actually owns any of the XPR series actually say if they are any good??? Do the come close to the specs posted on Emotiva website???? I plan on buying an XPR -2 and XPR -5 ....I am not expecting them to sound like McIntosh I just want them to sound better than Rotel and at least get to 70% of what they are claimed with as clear as they spec .0025thd . I am interested in an actual owners opinion on their performance compared to the specs listed on the website.
JimSatala77 is online now  
post #178 of 213 Old 12-19-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bootman_head_fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Nanny State
Posts: 1,413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSatala77 View Post
Can someone who actually owns any of the XPR series actually say if they are any good??? Do the come close to the specs posted on Emotiva website???? I plan on buying an XPR -2 and XPR -5 ....I am not expecting them to sound like McIntosh I just want them to sound better than Rotel and at least get to 70% of what they are claimed with as clear as they spec .0025thd . I am interested in an actual owners opinion on their performance compared to the specs listed on the website.

Yes they do meet and actually exceed specs.

I found one professional review with measurements for the XPR-1.

http://www.audioholics.com/amplifier...xpr1-amplifier

Into 4ohms at 1% distortion it put out almost 3kW.
Not bad for a mono block.

Are you really hearing a difference?
http://youtu.be/G-lN8vWm3m0
bootman_head_fi is offline  
post #179 of 213 Old 12-19-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bootman_head_fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Nanny State
Posts: 1,413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSatala77 View Post
Can someone who actually owns any of the XPR series actually say if they are any good??? Do the come close to the specs posted on Emotiva website???? I plan on buying an XPR -2 and XPR -5 ....I am not expecting them to sound like McIntosh I just want them to sound better than Rotel and at least get to 70% of what they are claimed with as clear as they spec .0025thd . I am interested in an actual owners opinion on their performance compared to the specs listed on the website.

Yes they do meet and actually exceed specs.

I found one professional review with measurements for the XPR-1.

http://www.audioholics.com/amplifier...xpr1-amplifier

Into 4ohms at 1% distortion it put out almost 3kW.
Not bad for a mono block.

I owned a XPR-5 for a while before downsizing.
It comes with lab tests and exceeded its specs.

Are you really hearing a difference?
http://youtu.be/G-lN8vWm3m0
bootman_head_fi is offline  
post #180 of 213 Old 12-19-2014, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
SeaNile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chadds Ford, PA
Posts: 835
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I have XPR-1 mono blocks driving Legacy Focus SE speakers. I absolutely love the combo and these amps are the real deal. Plenty of good clean power and sound very nice...
SeaNile is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off