Upgrade from 3806 to 4311CI and now with major surround speaker issues! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-18-2012, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone. I just upgraded my 3806 to a 4311CI and found that the 4311CI does not support an additional pair of surround speakers.

The theater room consists of 9 speakers, Front right and left with a center, right and left Surround A for the 1st row, right and left Surround B for the 2nd row, and finally 2 Surround rear speakers along with a subwoofer.

The 3806 had jacks for Surround A and Surround B but the 4311CI has jacks only for right and left Surround, as well as Height and Width jacks which I do not have speakers for. The speakers are installed into the wall and cannot be moved.

I would definately like Surround for the 1st and 2nd row seating. How do I accomplish this? The manual is not clear at all. No surprise given my experience with the 3806 manual I expected no different.

So any experts please advise! I appreciate any information you can give me.

Have a great day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-19-2012, 02:34 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 1482
Although a set of Surr B speaker posts was provided on the 3806, they were simply connected in parallel. So just connect them in parallel to the single set of Surr speaker posts on the 4311CI.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 4 Old 12-19-2012, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am new to this so please excuse my ignorance. How do I accomplish that? Any links I could reference?

I have 12-2 gauge speaker wires and at the ends banana plugs. Do i combine 2 left surrounds and 2 right surrounds into 1 banana plug each? Do I have to worry about the impedence or overheating my 4311ci? Any special settings in the setup or should I just do auto setup as usual?

Thanks again for your help!
post #4 of 4 Old 12-19-2012, 05:24 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 1482
Correct. As the diagram above shows ... wire the two "+" cables together and the two "-" cables from the SL(A) and SL(B) speakers together and connect the combined "+" cable to the SL "+" speaker post and the combined "-" cable to the SL "-" speaker post on the AVR. Do the same with the SR(A) and SR(B) speaker wires and connect the combined cables to the SR +/- speaker posts on the AVR. Although the impedance of each of the 4 speakers will be reduced to 4-ohm (if originally 8-ohm speakers), not only do the side surrounds generally not draw much power, but the 4311CI is more than capable of handling 4-ohm speakers. Run AUTO SETUP as you normally would.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page