Need advice on an upgrade path - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-19-2012, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys. New to the forums, but I've been lurking off an on for awhile. I'm building a new house and feel that it's time for me to upgrade my audio system to go with the new bonus room. My current system is about 7 years old. My stuff is in storage, so I don't recall the center and exact receiver offhand

Onkyo TX-SR503
Polk RTi28 bookshelfs
Matching Polk center channel (don't remember the model number)
Polk FX i30 rears
Crappy Sony HTIB sub

My bonus room is a bit large and oddly shaped. Kind of like a T and has 5' high knee walls. The main part is 25' x 17' and the "entrance" area (basically the bottom of the T) is 14' x 7'. The room will be mostly used late at night after the wife goes to sleep, so I'm not looking for something that will blow out the windows. However, she works weekends so I'll be listening at louder levels then. My primary goal is SQ though and my current system just isn't cutting it. I spend 80% of the time playing video games, 15% watching movies, 4% TV, and 1% music.

Okay, sorry for the book. On to my question. I want to upgrade slowly but end up with a really nice system. I'll probably go with a receiver first since I need the inputs. As far as speakers, the Paradigm Studio 100 floor standing speakers really catch my eye, but only in terms of looks. I've not been anywhere to audition them yet as there aren't many places in Charleston, SC to do so. The only place I can find is by appointment only and I'd hate to waste the guy's time if I'm not buying today. I also like the look of B&W CM9 speakers too. I worry that both of these speakers would be overkill though.

Assuming that I'll like those speakers should I bother getting a receiver or should I just save up a bit more and get a pre-processor and amp first? I've had my eye on multiple receivers, but every time I research them on the forum I end up getting directed to something else. I think I've landed on the Denon 4311 though. It's a bit concerning that it doesn't support 4k pass-through, but it's not like I have a 4k TV right now and 8k may be the new hotness by the time I upgrade my LED-LCD. I don't know if I care about networking. SQ and number of inputs are all that matter to me. If I decide to get the 4311 will I be fine with that as my pre and just add a separate amp later? Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-19-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
yes, the 4311 will be fine, and it's doubtful you will ever have to add an external amp to it...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #3 of 6 Old 12-19-2012, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Do you think those speakers would be overkill for that room? They say they're for large rooms, but I'm not sure what that means.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-19-2012, 03:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post

Do you think those speakers would be overkill for that room? They say they're for large rooms, but I'm not sure what that means.

Polk Rti28's overkill? For large rooms?

Surely you jest!

They are mini speakers with 5 inch woofers, for small rooms.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-19-2012, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, sorry if I wasn't being clear. I currently have the Polks now. Those things are barely too loud for 55 gallon drum.

I'm interested in the Paradigm Studio 100 or B&W cm 9 floor speakers.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-19-2012, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I currently have Studio 100s. For basic TV and Video watching my Yamaha A3000 handled them fine. My guess is that Denon would be sufficient. I added an external amp for the fun of it. Noticed some, but not a huge, difference.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page