Pre Amp under $1300 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 12-19-2012, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
BartholomewR04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am in search of a great sounding processor under $1300 and would like some input/advice on the "best bang for buck" in this price range. I have considered the Outlaw 975 and the Marantz 7005. But I am really liking the price tag on the Outlaw. Is there anything in this price range that is going to give me an obvious improvement in sound quality over the Outlaw?
Thanks guys,
Joe
BartholomewR04 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 12-19-2012, 11:24 AM
LVS
Advanced Member
 
LVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Check out the preamps from Emotiva.

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors
LVS is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 12-19-2012, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
BartholomewR04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks LVS, I will look into it. Any other recommendations?
BartholomewR04 is offline  
post #4 of 19 Old 12-19-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 13,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartholomewR04 View Post

I am in search of a great sounding processor under $1300 and would like some input/advice on the "best bang for buck" in this price range. I have considered the Outlaw 975 and the Marantz 7005. But I am really liking the price tag on the Outlaw. Is there anything in this price range that is going to give me an obvious improvement in sound quality over the Outlaw?


What do you find in these devices that you can't find in an AVR for half the price?
arnyk is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 12-19-2012, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
BartholomewR04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Heck, I don't really know.. After researching it seemed that many home theater enthusiast went with separate components. I just assumed the audio quality was potentially better this way. I am fairly new to this but I want optimal sound on a budget. I'm trying to keep the processor and amp under $2000, but ideally around $1500. Any suggestions?
BartholomewR04 is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 12-19-2012, 01:34 PM
Member
 
BentZero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartholomewR04 View Post

Heck, I don't really know.. After researching it seemed that many home theater enthusiast went with separate components. I just assumed the audio quality was potentially better this way. I am fairly new to this but I want optimal sound on a budget. I'm trying to keep the processor and amp under $2000, but ideally around $1500. Any suggestions?

I'm in the same exact boat. I've kind of landed on the Denon 4311 for now. It seems like it's a very capable AVR and can be used as a pre-processor when I decide to go with separates for my front channels while still using the 4311 for my surround channels.
BentZero is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 12-19-2012, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
BartholomewR04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am currently using 2 RF-3 towers, 2 RS-3 surrounds, and 1 RC-3 center. Wanting to upgrade to a full 7 speaker system however. I would like around 125 watts RMS x 7 if this helps with recommendations?

Bent zero- thanks for the recommendation. I will look into the denon.
BartholomewR04 is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 12-19-2012, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
BartholomewR04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I will primarily be using for home theater purposes (MOVIES). And also for cable TV/Sports. Not sure if this helps with recommendations.
BartholomewR04 is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old 12-19-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
holt7153's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 3,195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post

I've kind of landed on the Denon 4311 for now.

I landed on the 4311 as well--what a fantastic AVR.

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
holt7153 is online now  
post #10 of 19 Old 12-19-2012, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
duc135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I'm going to hop on the bandwagon and recommend the Denon AVR-4311. Run it as is and if you need a separate amp, add an Emotiva XPA-3 for your front three channels and run the remainder off the Denon. If not, you've just saved yourself some money and real estate in your equipment rack/shelf as well as cabling hassles.
duc135 is online now  
post #11 of 19 Old 12-19-2012, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 387
I have the 4311 which I'm using as a prepro as well. If one wants a dedicated prepro I understand that as I used feel that was the best route to take. But after owning the 4311 for about six months I see no disadvantage of using an AVR as a prepro. The talk of added heat or electronic interference of an all in one box solution is all BS if you ask me wink.gif. I doubt very much anyone could pickout the SQ differences between the Onkyo 5009 (AVR used as a prepro) and the Onkyo 5509 (prepro). So I strongly recommend the 4311 as well. The upside is if your amp craps out you still can use your system. But with a prepro if your amp craps out you are out of commission wink.gif.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is offline  
post #12 of 19 Old 12-19-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
duc135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I have the 4311 which I'm using as a prepro as well. If one wants a dedicated prepro I understand that as I used feel that was the best route to take. But after owning the 4311 for about six months I see no disadvantage of using an AVR as a prepro. The talk of added heat or electronic interference of an all in one box solution is all BS if you ask me wink.gif. I doubt very much anyone could pickout the SQ differences between the Onkyo 5009 (AVR used as a prepro) and the Onkyo 5509 (prepro). So I strongly recommend the 4311 as well. The upside is if your amp craps out you still can use your system. But with a prepro if your amp craps out you are out of commission wink.gif.
Bill

While these statements may be true I don't see a point in buying a separate amp just so you can use an AVR as a pre-pro unless you already have an amp or the AVR doesn't have sufficient power for your requirements. OP said he needs 125Wx7. The 4311 is 140Wx9 if you believe Denon marketing. Not sure what real world testing has proven though. I think the OP should just get the 4311 sans external amp and give it a shot first.
duc135 is online now  
post #13 of 19 Old 12-19-2012, 05:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post

While these statements may be true I don't see a point in buying a separate amp just so you can use an AVR as a pre-pro unless you already have an amp or the AVR doesn't have sufficient power for your requirements. OP said he needs 125Wx7. The 4311 is 140Wx9 if you believe Denon marketing. Not sure what real world testing has proven though. I think the OP should just get the 4311 sans external amp and give it a shot first.

I recommended the 4311 as a prepro as the OP is looking at the Outlaw 975 and the Marantz 7005 which I'm assuming is the AV (the prepro). So that lead me to believe he was looking for a prepro and was going to buy an external amp. I think the 4311 will be fine with the OP's speakers without an external amp. I already had an external amp as I had an Onkyo 886 before the 4311. So I did not go out and buy the amp as I already had one. If one wants to use an external amp with an AVR as a prepro why not? But your advice to try the 4311 first before adding an external amp is very good advice without a doubt smile.gif.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old 12-19-2012, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
BartholomewR04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Right on fellas! Thanks a lot for all the advice. I am leaning this way now for sure.
BartholomewR04 is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 12-20-2012, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
BartholomewR04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone know if thee are gonna be good deals on this receiver after christmas? Or does anybody know of any great deals in the receiver right now?
BartholomewR04 is offline  
post #16 of 19 Old 12-20-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jinjuku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 2,244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I'll toss on the same recommendation. A few years ago picked up the Denon 4308Ci and got rid of my HK + Adcom GFA 5503. Nearly broke even $$ wise and in my 17X23X9.5' room it has no problem at -7on the volume knob. Room's a rockin' at that point.

An audiophile likes to talk about how much they spent and how good it sounds.

A DIY'er likes to talk about how little they spent and how good it sounds.

Jinjuku is offline  
post #17 of 19 Old 12-20-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartholomewR04 View Post

Anyone know if thee are gonna be good deals on this receiver after christmas? Or does anybody know of any great deals in the receiver right now?

The 4311 is no longer being made so I would grab one while you can. There is a A100 which is a special edition version of the 4311 available over at the Emotiva Lounge. Here is a link to that listing.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is offline  
post #18 of 19 Old 12-20-2012, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MUDCAT45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

The 4311 is no longer being made so I would grab one while you can. There is a A100 which is a special edition version of the 4311 available over at the Emotiva Lounge. Here is a link to that listing.
Bill

Do you think the UMC-1 would be a better choice? I know the UMC-200 would be the best choice, however, the UMC-1 is a bargain.


smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif:)Just bugging you Bill. MERRY CHRISTMAS
MUDCAT45 is online now  
post #19 of 19 Old 12-20-2012, 06:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

Do you think the UMC-1 would be a better choice? I know the UMC-200 would be the best choice, however, the UMC-1 is a bargain.
smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif:)Just bugging you Bill. MERRY CHRISTMAS

What was I thinking eek.gif. Yes you are correct the UMC-1 would be the better choice wink.gif. Merry Christmas to you as well smile.gif.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off