Please tell me I'm not screwed! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 12-19-2012, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just ordered XLR cables for the Marantz preamp and amp, following exactly what it told me in the MM8807 manual (p. 4):

I had already mounted it in my rack. While connecting one of the last few connections, I noted this on the back panel, to my horror:

That's just about the exact opposite. The cables have already been ordered and shipped. Now what do I do?

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-19-2012, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 67
Well, they're opposite appearing because they're at opposite ends of the cable. If you can envision those two connectors back to back (or would it be face to face) you'll see they match up perfectly. In addition, the pin numbers and descriptions match so you're just fine.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
post #3 of 15 Old 12-19-2012, 07:08 PM

Liked: 13
As long as you got a "Balanced" XLR, there will be no polarity issues. You will be fine!
post #4 of 15 Old 12-19-2012, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for responding.

I sure hope you're right. But when I look at the preamp manual (p. 16), it says this about the AV8801:

This unit is equipped with BALANCED XLR IN terminals. Use these terminals if your device has an XLR terminal as an audio output terminal.
When using BALANCED XLR IN terminals, assign “XLR” for “Input Assign” – “ANALOG” (vpage 134). By default, these terminals are disabled.

Then it repeats the same information in the amp manual. But the preamp does not have XLR in, correct? Those are OUTS.

Gary
post #5 of 15 Old 12-19-2012, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Uhm, the Marantz Pre should have the same XLR configuration, no? Have you even checked it?

The pic in the manual shows the end of the connector....the 2nd pic in post is the back of the amp, both match up if you think about it.
post #6 of 15 Old 12-19-2012, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, fellows. It's clearer.

What really was confusing was when I turned to the preamp manual, which repeated the same configuration as the amp. But I guess they were trying to show what the PIN arrangement is coming into the MM8077, even though it says

{AV8801 BALANCED XLR IN terminal PIN arrangement}

and then repeats the same information on page 31 for the amplifier configuration.

That would make no misprints, just very confusing.

Gary
post #7 of 15 Old 12-19-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

It's completely fine. Just order the normal, every day XLR cables. The "USA method" went the way of the buffalo long time ago. If you use some ancient (relatively speaking) USA gear you might encounter it but most of that stuff is probably in the boneyard by now. Besides, it does't really matter as long as all channels are connected the same polarity.

It's too bad Marantz didn't take that distraction and confusion off the back panel after the first production run.

post #8 of 15 Old 12-19-2012, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

I'll sleep better tonight. Thanks all.

Gary
post #9 of 15 Old 12-26-2012, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, so I received my XLR cables today and ran the Audyssey XT32 calibration. It shows that my C, FHL, FWL, FWR, SR, SL, SBL, SBR are all out of phase, even though I triple checked the speaker connections, positive and negative. All of these are using the XLR connections.

For some reason, FHR (front height right) does not show put of phrase, even though that is using the XLR connection. (Fronts right and left are bi-amped and I'm using RCA unbalanced connections while I await the XLR cables.)

Since I had a week of waiting to receive the cables, I ran RCA unbalanced interconnects. No phrase problems using Audyssey calibration.

So I "am screwed" after all? Something I'm missing?

Gary
post #10 of 15 Old 12-26-2012, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Dunno what it would be that you're missing. I have a 7005, with external amps that are pin 2 hot as is the 7005, as is the MM8807 and AV8801, and have no messages about out of phase. I know all my balanced/XLR cables are wired straight through, Pin 2 -> Pin 2, etc.

Did you order off the shelf, standard balanced cables or are they custom pinout?

Also, I'd eliminate all variables like the biamping and run it again with everything wired up in the standard method.

post #11 of 15 Old 12-26-2012, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Yep. Pin 2 hot. If you look at the first post, the amp is in the first picture and preamp in the second.

I ordered through Blue Jeans Cable so I could get 3-foot cables. XLRs are not available locally, except in 25-foot lengths for microphone hookups.

The biamped speakers (RCA) don't show they are out of phase; neither does the right height speaker (XLR). But you may be right. Perhaps the fronts are throwing off the measurement since they are biamped and using RCA (unbalanced) connections.

I'm going to run through the speaker configuration again and see if the selections are all correct--RCA or XLR for each set. Thanks.

Gary
post #12 of 15 Old 01-08-2013, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Did ya ever get it sorted out?

post #13 of 15 Old 01-08-2013, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Not yet. When I hooked everything up, the Audyssey setup showed the speakers were out of phase. All except the bi-amped fronts were connected to the Amp via XLR. I returned the cables for retermination and ordered a y-cable xlr--straight pass through instead of "Euro wiring. "
post #14 of 15 Old 01-08-2013, 06:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Given this discussion of euro vs non euro wiring of XLR cables, are there any obvious side effects that would tell you that they're wired wrong?

My concern is that my Rotel amps may be wired different from what the Marantz 8801.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #15 of 15 Old 01-08-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

OK...everybody., just order your cables pinned the normal, straight through way (1>1, 2>2, 3>3) and save yourself some trouble.

As long as all channels are connected with the same pin out cables, your speakers will connected in the same polarity and that's what matters.

This assumes, of course, all the amps you're using at the same time are pinned the same. If you are simultaneously using different amps some pinned #2 hot and some pinned #2 cold, then the speakers connected to the different amps will be out of polarity with each other. In that case, the simplest solution would be to merely reverse the (+) and (-) speaker connections on one amp or the other, but not both.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page