I have the 1613 and it can be done w/o the TV screen. Not as easy though.
1. Press setup button on remote
2. Use down arrow button on remote until Speakers shows us on display. press enter key
3. Toggle down to manual setup, press enter key
4. Select Speaker config, press enter
5. You'll probably see Front Large on the display
6. Arrow down until you see Subwoofer No, hit the enter key
7. Use left and right arrows til it display YES. Hit the enter key.
It may change your front speakers to small now, or you should change them to small anyway. You still have to change the channel levels and I'm not about to go into that. Here is a link to the manual if you need it.
Honestly, I would bring down a TV and plug in the HDMI cable. Then you can plug in the Audyssey mic and it will configure everything properly for you. That way you'll get your channel levels set correctly and you can see all the results and settings clearly. They make these receivers so that you must use the On Screen Display now. Plus its way more convenient than using the receiver display.