How do I get ARC to work with Sony DN1030 and Panasonic 55GT50? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-23-2012, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an ARC compatable HDMI connected and to the right inputs on both the receiver and TV. I thought it would just automatically switch when I used an app on the TV like Netflix, but I am getting no sound. What do I have to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-23-2012, 07:51 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
First note that any HDMI cable will pass ARC audio .. HDMI 1.3 or HDMI 1.4 ... doesn't matter. Second, for the feature to work, the HDMI cable from the AVR must be plugged into the HDMI(ARC) jack on the TV as there is generally only one input designated as the ARC input, the HDMI-CEC (VierraLink) on the TV must be set to ON as well as to "external speakers". Then the HDMI Control feature on the AVR must also be set to ON as well. AFAIK, all these settings normally default to OFF from the factory. And lastly, note that AFAIK, your Panny can only pass PCM 2.0 using the HDMI(ARC) connection so if you want to pass DD 5.1 from Netflix movies, you're much better served connecting an optical cable from the Panny to the AVR.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 3 Old 12-23-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Connect your sources (player, cable box, dish receiver, etc.) to the HDMI or component-video inputs of the receiver only.

Connect an HDMI cable from the receiver HDMI output to the TV.

All audio will be processed by the receiver and go directly to the speakers from the receiver.

The TV will function as a Video Monitor only (no audio connections).

If you are using an app built-in to the TV (such as Netflix) as your "source" then you may need to run a digital audio cable to the receiver for that function.

Since your receiver has WIFI, it would be better if you could access Netflix or other services directly with the receiver from the internet and not use the built-in app of the TV. Then you would not need the digital audio cnnection.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt50 55 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page