Blu-Rays (and everything else) sounds better in Multi-Stereo than on the Pro Logic II with my 5.1 surround sound system. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-24-2012, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have been surprised to find that the Multiple stereo setting with my 5.1 system sounds louder, richer and fuller than the Pro Logic II Movie mode or any other setting with Blu-Rays, games, dvds, etc. Is this normal? What I'm hearing sounds great, but I guess I expected some sort of an improvement over multiple stereo with a true surround signal, not a decrease in sound quality. I find myself having to dramatically raise the volume whenever I switch from Multiple Stereo surround mode to Pro Logic II Movie or Music mode. The latter modes just sound thin, especially before raising the volume way higher than I have it on the multi-stereo mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-24-2012, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
True surround sound like Dolby digital Master audio and DTS True HD send discrete sounds to each speaker individually according to the movie example if a plane flys past from front to back you will hear it start from the fron and work its way back............using multi stereo or expanded stereo just sends all sounds to every speaker with no effects difference for any speaker meaning you hear the plane from every speaker at once.Using surround sound....... If theres an explosion in a movie on the right front side you only hear it from the right front side with the stereo setting it comes from all around you.........its not very realistic when watching a movie.....
post #3 of 8 Old 12-24-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Multi-channel stereo works well on 1.0 audio, especially if your center speaker isn't all that good or you want more volume from all of your speakers.
post #4 of 8 Old 12-24-2012, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

Multi-channel stereo works well on 1.0 audio, especially if your center speaker isn't all that good or you want more volume from all of your speakers.

My surprise is how it sounds better with Blu-Ray. I figured one of the modes taking advantage fo the true surround sound would sound noticeably superior. Someone suggested I use the auto/direct mode for the true surround sound. I forgot that Pro Logic II was the simulated surround sound. I don't recall Auto/Direct mode being much better though. I have a very nice center though. It's Bic America FH6-LCR with mid/high frequency. Love it. The total audio just sounds a bit thin and less midrange bass and such in other modes. They sound as if the other speakers become weakened.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-24-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Pro Logic II for BD discs? No wonder its not "realistic".

10 year member with 4300 posts and you don't know why your system sounds like it does? rolleyes.gif
post #6 of 8 Old 12-24-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Why are you using Pro Logic II with Blu Ray? How is your BD player connected to the receiver?

Ain't no way multi channel stereo sounds better than TrueHD or DTS-MA on my setup.

Afro GT
post #7 of 8 Old 12-24-2012, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTyson View Post

My surprise is how it sounds better with Blu-Ray. I figured one of the modes taking advantage fo the true surround sound would sound noticeably superior. Someone suggested I use the auto/direct mode for the true surround sound. I forgot that Pro Logic II was the simulated surround sound. I don't recall Auto/Direct mode being much better though. I have a very nice center though. It's Bic America FH6-LCR with mid/high frequency. Love it. The total audio just sounds a bit thin and less midrange bass and such in other modes. They sound as if the other speakers become weakened.

It probably comes down to what your AVR is capable of doing. If you have the option of PLII-X, try that. I remember early on in my home theater evolution, I went to a home theater group meeting and then invited some of the attendees over to listen to my home theater system that was running in multi-channel stereo. One of the guys looked at my settings and from then I was aware of PLII-X, especially for music from CD's. What happens if you run DTS-HD or Dolby HD for blu-ray films? One way to see the difference is simply to toggle between modes and just listen. If you still prefer multi-channel stereo, then that's your preference. The other way to find out the difference is to listen or experience other user's home theater systems and ask questions.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-25-2012, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is your receiver capable of Dolby Digital/DTS or any of the newer lossless surround sound codecs (TrueHD or HD Master Audio? It seems to me that when Pro Logic II originally came out DD/DTS were available so it should at least be capable of basic DD/DTS. I would try one of those instead of the Pro Logic II.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page