Yamaha RX-V371BL vs Denon AVR1513 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-25-2012, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am feeling a little buyer remorse after I ordered the Denon. Currently I have HK AVR254 which I absolutely love. However I don't have budget to spend on another HK receiver and for my family room I need standby hdmi pass through feature. Family room has HKTS 18 speaker. Basement has infinity primus P363 tower, which I am currently driving via a tripath amplifier from eBay. I am arranging NYE party in the basement so need a dedicated receiver. I love warm sound with little bit more treble and crispness. Klipsch is my dream speaker but still not reached that stage yet. I am hearing that Yamaha will be more brighter than Denon. I have heard Denon at my friends place, but his room setup and reflections are really bad and he is driving in-wall speaker with an weak Polk subwoofer, so can't judge Denon. I got the Denon because it vouched discrete amplifier and more "luxurious" brand than Yamaha. Which one do you think would excite me more, given that I like crisp high sound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-25-2012, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 290
I think you should go with the Yamaha 373 or Denon 1613 as both of these units feature room correction software and that will certainly help with room related issues. You could also go with the Denon 1612 (last year's model) for $200 at accessories4less.com.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #3 of 9 Old 12-26-2012, 03:22 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
+1

In the Denon linup, the 1613 is the lowest model recommended in order to utilze the Audyssey Auto speaker EQ feature which is not offered on the 1513.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 9 Old 12-26-2012, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

I don't have room problem. My current family room is 13x15 rectangle with one opening in the side. I have used the harman kardons version of speaker setup in my previous apartment with the supplied microphone like device. I didn't like the end results. I have never used Audyssey so not sure how it works. I trust my own ears to setup the speaker distance, crossover etc. I am more concerned on music sound quality in a budget.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-26-2012, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 346
You can always disable Audyssey if you don't like the results.

I currently have 3 Denon receivers and one old HK. The Audyssey is far better than what the HK offers.

I doubt you can calibrate your room better than Audyssey MultEQ

Afro GT
post #6 of 9 Old 12-26-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by kousikb View Post

I don't have room problem. My current family room is 13x15 rectangle with one opening in the side. I have used the harman kardons version of speaker setup in my previous apartment with the supplied microphone like device. I didn't like the end results. I have never used Audyssey so not sure how it works. I trust my own ears to setup the speaker distance, crossover etc. I am more concerned on music sound quality in a budget.

I stand by my suggestions. If you're not interested in room correction, all of these budget receivers you are considering are going to sound similar, if not the same.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #7 of 9 Old 12-29-2012, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Followup on my part and will probably help people with similar setup. I cancelled the Denon order and got the Yamaha RX-V371BL instead. The receiver can't output HDMI if HDMI cable length is more than 5m/16ft (mentioned in the manual in a fine print) - but not described anywhere. All my AV sources are in a closet and a 50ft HDMI cable goes to the TV. This setup works with direct connection from AV source to TV or via my current Harman Kardon receiver AVR254. The reason for buying a receiver was to get standby HDMI pass-through along with all other receiver functions. Looks like I have to (1)Pony up more for a mid range receiver (2)Read up the fatty manuals to lookout for HDMI cable length limitations (3)Get feedback from actual users who are using long run HDMI cable before zeroing on any receiver. Also the receiver seemed weak on bass (was using active subwoofer, compensated little bit by upping crossover settings to 120Hz.. but still not satisfactory) and sound output. Its rated 75W RMS per channel with 8ohm imp, which is more than current receivers 50W RMS per channel. But it sounded wimpy even compared to my el-cheapo $20 tripath amplifier which can only output 20W RMS on 4ohm,
post #8 of 9 Old 12-30-2012, 02:59 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
The 5m spec is a limitation of the HDMI cable and not the 1513.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #9 of 9 Old 01-10-2013, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

I gave up on my requirement of hdmi pass through and got the harman kardon 1700. Impressive sound and runs a lot cooler than my previous receiver. It's able to drive the tv via a 50' hdmi cable. The Yamaha failed on that. My previous HK receiver was able to drive it with ease, so when I saw the deal for HK, I thought of trying that. For pass through feature, I have decided to fish another 50' hdmi cable from the closet to tv dedicated for my dish network receiver and the optical output to the receiver for occasional surround sound from the satellite box. Sony blu ray player, wdtv, zino xbmc would still go via receiver.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V371bl 5 1 Channel Av Receiver , Denon Avr 1513 Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page