AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Receivers, Amps, and Processors (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/)
-   -   Which Receiver should I buy and why??? (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1447422-receiver-should-i-buy-why.html)

harpj 12-25-2012 11:38 PM

My choices are between these three Receivers.

Onkyo TX-NR818

Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A820

Sony STR-DA1800ES

pokekevin 12-26-2012 12:02 AM

Id recommend the 818 since it has XT32 which could be useful.

Jinjuku 12-26-2012 10:37 AM

I would just post a budget and see what fits. At least that is my recommendation.

afrogt 12-26-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpj View Post

Doesn't the sony receiver and yamaha have that auto calibration feature just like the onkyo though.

Pretty much all new receivers except entry level models can setup channel levels, distance and crossover settings nowadays, but some receivers also eq the system to your specific room.

Yamaha has Proprietary calibration software called YPAO and the version on that receiver does not EQ the subwoofer. Don't know what Sony uses but it isn't Audyssey.

MultEQ XT32 is the highest level of Audyssey calibration available on consumer receivers. Much higher resolution filters than MultEQ or MutlEQ XT. You can also EQ dual subwoofers.

http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/multeq

arnyk 12-26-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpj View Post

Doesn't the sony receiver and yamaha have that auto calibration feature just like the onkyo though.

The manufacturer's web site spec sheets contain information about what auto calibration they features they have. It is skectchy in some cases, but it is there.

You can find more details about how the autocalibraion works in the user's manuals which are also downloadable from the same source. There are also AVS web site threads that expand on them.

harpj 12-30-2012 05:25 PM

Anyone else with any feedback.

lodit 12-30-2012 07:55 PM

Before you decide on a receiver, here's a quick checklist you may want to use before soliciting member opinions:

1. What's my main use for the receiver (music and/or movies)?
2. What's my audio/video setup where I plan to use the receiver (how many speakers, subwoofers, zones, source unit(s), display unit(s))?
3. What's my budget?

Come back with the answers to those three questions, and other members will surely chime in with recommendations.

The best bang for your buck will still require research on your part, recommendations notwithstanding.

Good luck!

domos 12-30-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:
Before you decide on a receiver, here's a quick checklist you may want to use before soliciting member opinions:

1. What's my main use for the receiver (music and/or movies)?
2. What's my audio/video setup where I plan to use the receiver (how many speakers, subwoofers, zones, source unit(s), display unit(s))?
3. What's my budget?

Come back with the answers to those three questions, and other members will surely chime in with recommendations.

The best bang for your buck will still require research on your part, recommendations notwithstanding.

Good luck!

I'm looking for a reciever to buy, too
1. movies almost 100%
2. I have 5.1 B&W mt-25 satellite speakers, and HTPC
3. under $850

I'm considering these candidates,
1.Marantz SR5007,NR1603
2.Yamaha RX-V673
3.Denon AVR-1713,2113

plz help me to choose among these receivers.

jdsmoothie 12-30-2012 10:27 PM

^^
Either the 5007 or 2113CI would be good choices, both featuring the higher version of Audyssey MultEQ XT with the 5007 offering a few more connectivity options (eg. EXT IN, main zone pre-outs).

harpj 01-07-2013 11:45 AM

My choices are between these three Receivers.

Onkyo TX-NR818

Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A820

Sony STR-DA1800ES

Here's my details

1. Blu-ray movies/3D Blu-ray movies/Gaming

2. Setup 7.2 with 6 Harman Kardon SAT-TS7 satellite speakers, 1 Harman Kardon CEN-TS7 Centre speaker and 2 Polk Audio PSW-505 subs. Sony HX-850 TV

3. Under $1000

Thanks

Knucklehead90 01-07-2013 12:24 PM

I would lower the budget for an AVR and hike the budget for speakers.

javygonx 01-07-2013 05:08 PM

My vote goes for Onkyo 818 or skip all and get Pioneer Sc-61. I met someone which had 818 and pioneer sc-61 and returned the onkyo 818. He claims it has more power, better clarity on center channel and beter surround details.

lodit 09-24-2013 07:21 PM

Though it's not always advisable, I would suggest scouting your local B&M for Clearance and Open Box models that are higher MSRP than the ones you've listed.
Typically, though they are display or demo or customer return units, they'll have a full manufacturer's warranty from the day you buy it, and you'll still have the option to buy an extended at a more reasonable price that if you got it at MSRP or original retail.

That way, you pretty much guarantee yourself a higher (generally) quality unit with all the features and functions you need and more for the same or even better price you were going to buy at anyways.

Give your budgets at $850-$1000, I might suggest hitting your local BB and seeking out the Pioneer Elite SC-67 or even Yamaha 3020/2020, which I've seen discounted down to about $1100 or less. Make them an offer to take it off their hands, and you never know, they may just work with you to help you both out. You can usually bargain to get at least another 10% off and do the no-interest financing option if you have a BB Credit Card. Though they've changed the Rewards program so it's not as beneficial as before.

To save even more money, see if they have one or two models below those on clearance or open box display. That's how I scored a BNIB Pioneer Elite SC-57 for about half off MSRP among other things.

Good luck!