Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 12-27-2012, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Skip to POST #14 for my latest -

**THIS IS HOW THE THREAD STARTED BUT THE SITUATION HAS CHANGED**
Ok, so the story begins that all of my friends growing up always had Cerwin Vega speakers. I now own a home and picked up a pair of 10" Cerwin Vega RE30's for cheap on craigslist. Those speakers which I am reading are 4ohm, but the receiver below outputs 8ohm?

Some time ago I bought a Pioneer HTP-2920 (click specifications tab for details) system and I am wondering if I can hook these speakers up to the receiver without an issue..

Receiver -
Power - Stereo = 860 Watts (RMS) 600 Watts (FTC) 100 Watts x 6
Power - Surround = 860 Wats (RMS) 600 Watts (FTC) (Front x 2, Surround x 2, Center x 1 - 200 Hz - 20 kHz, .7%, 8 Ohms. Subwoofer (45 Hz-200 Hz, .7% THD, 8 Ohms)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-27-2012, 09:12 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked: 1523
At lower volume levels, there should be no issue, however, the AVR will likely shut down in protection mode at louder volume levels as it's not designed to power 4-ohm speakers.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 14 Old 12-27-2012, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Just don't try to turn the volume up past the receiver's halfway point. This should allow you to play your 4 ohm speakers as loud as they possibly can with this receiver, without overdriving the amp.

Of course this depends on if the receiver's gain is linear, as well as other factors. But in theory(very elementary theory), you should reach the receiver's maximum RMS wattage output with 4 ohm speakers at half the volume it would take to get the same wattage with 8 ohm speakers.

post #4 of 14 Old 12-27-2012, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for the speedy replies! smile.gif I'm picking them up after work today and will give them a try. (keeping my fire extinguisher within reach and an eye open for any smoke) smile.gifcool.gif

I'm also going to see if I can snag some Cerwin Vega VE-5M Bookshelf Speakers and a Cerwin-Vega VE-5C Center Channel Speaker since they are also cheap. smile.gif

Finally building the CV system I always wanted. I am by no means an audiophile or know what I am doing, but this should be awesome smile.gif

Thanks again everyone smile.gif
post #5 of 14 Old 12-27-2012, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Back with a few more questions! smile.gif

I just picked up Cerwin Vega VE-5M 5-1/4" 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers and a Cerwin-Vega VE-5C 2-Way Home Audio Center Channel Speaker.

Those should be fine on this receiver too right? Having all these on the pioneer receiver wont make a smokey mess of my equipment? Lastly I am wondering if anything goes wrong, will it likely be my speakers frying somehow or the receiver blowing up?

I think I got a good deal... both re30's for $100 and then the bookshelfs AND center for $120

smile.gifsmile.gif thanks again smile.gif

/Edit: Another question smile.gif What gauge wire should I be using for all this?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044YPN0A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A1DCPNQKKEISZB
?
post #6 of 14 Old 12-27-2012, 04:50 PM
585-645-1006

Yup ... just remember to keep the volume down. Regarding speaker wire gauge, that 16AWG should be fine.as long as there are no runs > 50'.

"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

post #7 of 14 Old 12-27-2012, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply... but keep the volume down? (booooooooooooooooooooooooooo)

Ok, hooked up the receiver and NO BASS out the woofer,. Probably because this receiver shipped with little crappy satelite speakers..

time to go receiver shopping frown.gif
post #8 of 14 Old 12-30-2012, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Subwoofer Bump
post #9 of 14 Old 01-03-2013, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Trust me, I have read many threads and other forums and googled the heck out of this... but I just want a few works to calm me down smile.gif

So I went with the Denon 2308CI. (100watts X 7 at 8ohm, and from what I am reading more watts will be going into my 4ohm RE-30's with a higher THD %) I also purchased 100 feet of RCA 14-Gauge Speaker Wire

With that being said, should the 2308CI be able to run the below speakers without issue? Or are these 4ohm RE30's going to make something bad happen?

Cerwin-Vega! -
2x LS-10 10" Floorstanding Speakers (8ohm/200w max)
2x RE-30 12" Floorstanding Speakers (4ohm/250w max)
2x VE-5M 5-1/4" 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers (8ohm/125w max)
1x VE-5C 2-Way Home Audio Center Channel Speaker (8ohm/150w max)
1x LW-15 15" Subwoofer

I'll post a pic of the setup tonight, I am pretty happy with it. I am finally able to set something like this up... yeah it might be old school but I think it's cool: ) ( still waiting on the receiver to be delivered and I am getting impatient!)

Thanks a ton though, seriously.

_Brendan
post #10 of 14 Old 01-03-2013, 05:32 PM
585-645-1006

Nothing has changed from my post #2 advice. smile.gif

"JD" –

post #11 of 14 Old 01-04-2013, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, that's kind of what I was thinking. I just set them up for a quick picture, but as soon as my receiver comes I will move the speakers to where they are going to live and then hook everything up.

I guess I'll just start at a lower volume and keep raising it until A.) ear bleed or B.) Receiver shuts down. Hopefully I hit A before B. biggrin.gif

post #12 of 14 Old 01-09-2013, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

System is sounds JUST okay with the 2308CI. It does get very loud, but I am not getting the bass out of my RE-30's (or sub for that matter) that I am expecting. I first tried setting everything up manually and no dice. I then borrowed a friends Audyssey mic and that made it a bit better. (the settings it went with were very similar to the ones I set..) Crossover for fronts set to 40hz, LFE+Main, etc

With that being said I thought I would try something else. I just bought a Pioneer Elite SC-25 for what I think to be a pretty good price (140wpc/Ice Amp etc, but no mic, no original remote but comes with Harmony 659) I bought that receiver because I wanted something to compare against. I am hoping that the more watts per channel and other features will get me the sound I am expecting.

Or my expectations are too high for the RE-30's.... but I just feel like I should be getting more bass and those damn woofers should move more smile.gif I guess I'll wait until I have that SC-25 and see what comes of it. If that remote is crap I'll just buy the original remote for $67 shipped from Pioneer (part number AXD7542) I don't know too much about Harmony remotes...
post #13 of 14 Old 01-09-2013, 03:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by rottentreats View Post

Ok, that's kind of what I was thinking. I just set them up for a quick picture, but as soon as my receiver comes I will move the speakers to where they are going to live and then hook everything up.

Looks like a bare plaster room. Just screaming for some acoustic treatments.

Instead of churning components like you were making butter, why not read the Room Eq Wizard thread and do some serious analysis?
post #14 of 14 Old 01-20-2013, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

I would agree that the room definitely needs some acoustic treatment. BUT, first I want to try and get the speakers pounding like they should. My 12" RE30's are just not pounding as much as I am imagining they should, the woofers barely move unless I venture into reference levels. Even then the bass is lacking. I think I have most everything setup properly on my SC-25 (so I am not under-powering them by any means)

For example, see this youtube vid of a guy with his RE30's... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq7Kq-Z21Wk

Bumping like a mofo, and that is what I have always expected but am just not getting it. On the AVR I have the fronts set to Large and the x-over set to 80hz. The sub pounds great... but I want to pretend like I don't have a sub and just get the sound/bass I want.

Any ideas of what I could try to do to make them pound? (or what I should test if something might be wrong w/ the speakers)

Thank you all, I am just now getting back into home audio and am at a bit of a loss... I just think these CV's should hit better than my dads old kenwood receiver and $30 fisher speakers...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page