Pioneer VSX-521-k / 821-k / 921-k / 1021-k - Power-On problems? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 79 Old 10-14-2014, 01:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Pioneer VSX 521 K

Hi guys!

I bought a Pioneer VSX 521K. Worked fine for 6 months, then it shut itself off. Took it back to the shop, got it repaired with a note saying that defects like this one are usually not covered by the guarantee, That defect in the shop's opinion was caused by a faulty speaker connection (included a pic of how to connect speakers correctly, hahaha). I have a Denon amplifier which is 10 years old and never showed that problem with the same (BOSE Acoustimass 5) speakers. Anyway, took the Pioneer home, connected it, switched it on, bang, switched itself off again. Back to the shop, same repair, same stupid note. Guess what happened next? Only connected it back a few weeks later, same thing again. By then my warranty of 1 WHOLE YEAR had expired. Now it's in a repair shop. The guy there said that I cannot just use any loudspeakers with any device...Of course, I am not using speakers with ten times the power as the amplifier. The Pioneer is more powerful than my old Denon, so again, another stupid suggestion. Well, lets see how much it will cost me. Probably not worth it.

thsthx1138a, you seemed to have gotten close to an answer. Any luck? Not that I can do much as I am not an electronics expert/repairman. My guess is that I will have to cut my losses, sell the device for parts and use a brand that is worth my money.

What happened to the olden days when you bought a product, took it home, switched it on and enjoyed it for years to come? I imagine they provide only a limited lifetime for those devices in order to maintain the product turnover. i.e. have us buy new products at regular intervals, but not even making it out of a 1 year warranty? Pioneer probably changed the warranty from 2 years to 1 when complaints started to flood in about that particular series.

Anyway, good look to all. Good to know one is not alone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 79 Old 10-30-2014, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My almost 4 year old VSX-1020K has just started having shut down problems similar to those mentioned in this thread. It has recently started shutting down intermittently. (No changes in inputs/speakers/anything on this receiver for at least a year, maybe 2 years.)

It usually tries to power back on, but then shuts off again after a few seconds. I have checked and reset all the speaker connections (there were no shorts or frayed wires), changed inputs, etc, but the receiver still shuts down periodically. I opened it up to see if I could see any dust, but it was very clean inside Often it works fine for a hour or so, and sometimes it shuts down after just a few minutes. (oddly, after an uncommanded shut down, the PQLS light is blinking, and no other lights are on)

Inputs do not seem to matter, problem occurs whether on an HDMI input (I only have one HDMI device, a Windows 7 HTPC, and tried it on separate HDMI inputs) or on the Internet Radio input. I've unplugged the receiver but the problem still occurs after plugging it back in. Now I have no HDMI devices plugged in and problem still occurs.

I've tried getting into the service test mode per the 1020K service manual I found online (technique is different than the x21 models in this thread) but I could not seem to get that to work.

Ventilation has always been good and the unit has never indicate an overheat problem - never hot to the touch, only warm. I do not play at high volumes.

Repair shop said they want $200 to fix, which seems high to me. I'm handy with building PCs (I built the HTPC) but not particularily skilled with a soldering iron... :-(

I'm stumped, If a power supply component has gone bad, would it work fine for a hour or more before shutting off? That part seems different than some of the issues in this thread.

Any suggestions? (I'm thinking this a good excuse to get a new receiver, but I really would like this one to last a couple of more years until a 90" OLED TV is under $2,000 <grin>)
post #63 of 79 Old 11-01-2014, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken83 View Post
I own a VSX-522K. It went dead on me two days ago with a loud thud from the rear left speaker and not able to switch on again.

This is my second pioneer receiver. And this 522K is barely over 1 year old. So it is out of warranty.

Bro, i tried your suggestion by pressing the ALC+Advanced surround+Standby it powered up! Now i am listening music writing this post.

Many many thanks for writing that post. I almost committed to buying the Yamaha receiver costing 1.5K.

Nevertheless, i still completely lost faith in Pioneer, will not buy another again.
This thread just made my day; Have a VSX-921 that wouldn't turn on, and this fixed it! Thanks!
post #64 of 79 Old 11-03-2014, 12:35 AM

Well, I'll be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissident View Post
This thread just made my day; Have a VSX-921 that wouldn't turn on, and this fixed it! Thanks!
I assumed that the problem was a hardware burnout or something and never even tried the ALC-AV-Standby reset option. But when reading the last reply, I thought: What the heck? And what do you know? It turned back on. The guy at the repair shop said no way without Pioneer parts and I press three simple buttons and it is fixed? Goodness me! So 230€ maybe not going down the can after all...
post #65 of 79 Old 11-07-2014, 01:25 AM

Three button reset

Hey! Although the reset via the three buttons was successful, it only happened after three trys. At the moment I am up to about ten. I hope this number doesn't increase, otherwise the whole process is getting quite tedious. Anybody else experience that particular scenario or have any advice on how to fix that problem for good? Thanks a lot
post #66 of 79 Old 11-07-2014, 03:33 PM

Yeah this worked for me but I have to do it every time i turn it on.. POS...
post #67 of 79 Old 11-09-2014, 11:34 AM

Hi all,

My vsx-921 decided to stop working as well after 3 years;((. Repaired under warranty due to no sound in left channel 2years ago, good since then but in last few months started to play up again with u33 error. From last week I cannot switch it on at all!! It will switch on but freeze with message on display POWER ON !!!. I did try all reset tips from below but nothing works! Any ideas?
post #68 of 79 Old 01-12-2015, 08:59 PM

I took apart my 521k today,due to no power problem. The hdmi was not working for a awhile before it totaly died. I did the two finger salute and got a dc error, resets did nada. Wasted more time then it was worth and found a 7905 was dead. To get it out everything must come apart. More time wasted. I will try to update if i find anything else.
My last pioneer especially if the hdmi does not work after the no power gets fixed. The safety lockout features are well thought out. May have saved many components.
post #69 of 79 Old 01-20-2015, 10:50 PM

UPDATE. THE 7905 - FIXED it. Hdmi might be a simple fix also, but i don't need hdmi now...if i do ill update that hdmi fix also...
post #70 of 79 Old 01-25-2015, 02:57 PM

Hello all I would like to share my experience with owning the VSX 922K model.

I've had it for over one year now, and I got troubles with random shut downs. I've noticed it shuts down only while I'm watching TV via STB. I've already changed STB 2x. And it didn't help.

TV is connected to the AVR, in the OUT socket of course. The STB is in the SAT/CBL, Playstation 3 in BD, PC in HDMI 4, and that's it.

I've tested my AVR by having it ON by using Playstation 3 from time to time. But while I sleep it was always ON. Just to see if it will shut down. And I've had it on for a couple of days and all was ok. Playing games, listening to music, movies... and all was ok.

Then I've tested RADIO, same thing all okay.

Then I've tested 1h of pure torture of FLAC music having it to -10DB (EXTENDED STEREO) using Focal's sib&cub3, and it was all okey. Longer than that the police would've come haha. The AVR was HOT! But it didn't shut down. Normally I don't listen to music that loud, it was just for the test, and it passed in my opinion.

I also tested my PC for some hours playing a game, browsing, listening to music, and everything was fine.

Then it was time for the STB, it's so random that I have no idea what to say. It can work for hours, days (not at once, didn't test that), and sometimes it just shuts down after 30 minutes. The thing is when it shuts down the first thing it does it makes a TICK sound, and then the HDMI light goes OFF. Then shortly in a second or so, another TICK sound and MCAAC light goes off. IT DOESN'T BLINK. It just goes, off. My AVR was set on "TV SURROUND" if it makes any difference.

Though I don't care if I can't use my AVR for STB, I connected it directly to TV. I'm just worried maybe the STB did something to my AVR, and in the future it can go completely off.

I mostly use my AVR for Playstation 3 games, music, and movies (like many others huh xD). Maybe it was something wrong with the STB.

And another thing I can't say I can relate to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadted2 View Post
Hey I have 1021-k

I have all of my devices connected into the receiver via HDMI, and then one HDMI cable going from receiver to TV.

If I turn the TV on first, it doesn't shut off, BUT the tv has to full power up, which takes about 10 seconds. If I turn on the receiver before that, it will shut off.

If everything is on, and then turn the TV off and then back on, the receiver will shut down.

Powering up devices connected to the receiver(cable box, ps3, appleTV) does not cause the receiver to power off.

I've noticed then when it does power off from the TV being turned on, the HDMI light turns on(the red circle symbol on the interface) before it shuts off.
but I think there is something going on here. There was that one time when I turned on my TV, and after a sec or two I turned on my AVR after some minutes the AVR shuts down. I pushed ON button, it shuts off in 2 sec, it did that around 5 times. And since then I had my STB connected to TV directly, and I wait a few minutes to connect my AVR to TV ( the cable is connected to air now ahah), if I want to use PC, Playstation 3.

I hope someone found this helpful, if not I wish the best of luck to you all.
post #71 of 79 Old 02-02-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1soi View Post
Hello all I would like to share my experience with owning the VSX 922K model.

I've had it for over one year now, and I got troubles with random shut downs. I've noticed it shuts down only while I'm watching TV via STB. I've already changed STB 2x. And it didn't help.

TV is connected to the AVR, in the OUT socket of course. The STB is in the SAT/CBL, Playstation 3 in BD, PC in HDMI 4, and that's it.

I've tested my AVR by having it ON by using Playstation 3 from time to time. But while I sleep it was always ON. Just to see if it will shut down. And I've had it on for a couple of days and all was ok. Playing games, listening to music, movies... and all was ok.

Then I've tested RADIO, same thing all okay.

Then I've tested 1h of pure torture of FLAC music having it to -10DB (EXTENDED STEREO) using Focal's sib&cub3, and it was all okey. Longer than that the police would've come haha. The AVR was HOT! But it didn't shut down. Normally I don't listen to music that loud, it was just for the test, and it passed in my opinion.

I also tested my PC for some hours playing a game, browsing, listening to music, and everything was fine.

Then it was time for the STB, it's so random that I have no idea what to say. It can work for hours, days (not at once, didn't test that), and sometimes it just shuts down after 30 minutes. The thing is when it shuts down the first thing it does it makes a TICK sound, and then the HDMI light goes OFF. Then shortly in a second or so, another TICK sound and MCAAC light goes off. IT DOESN'T BLINK. It just goes, off. My AVR was set on "TV SURROUND" if it makes any difference.

Though I don't care if I can't use my AVR for STB, I connected it directly to TV. I'm just worried maybe the STB did something to my AVR, and in the future it can go completely off.

I mostly use my AVR for Playstation 3 games, music, and movies (like many others huh xD). Maybe it was something wrong with the STB.

And another thing I can't say I can relate to

but I think there is something going on here. There was that one time when I turned on my TV, and after a sec or two I turned on my AVR after some minutes the AVR shuts down. I pushed ON button, it shuts off in 2 sec, it did that around 5 times. And since then I had my STB connected to TV directly, and I wait a few minutes to connect my AVR to TV ( the cable is connected to air now ahah), if I want to use PC, Playstation 3.

I hope someone found this helpful, if not I wish the best of luck to you all.
UPDATE FOR MY AVR! DATE 2.2.2015

Power went down while listening to Tuner/Radio. It was at -44DB not much. Heh, so much for pioneer)
post #72 of 79 Old 02-03-2015, 02:15 AM

UPDATE FOR MY AVR!

Today I've taken it to the repair shop (I still have guarantee), and I've explained my problem. The repair man said it's possible that the HDMI board is malfunctioning. But he's not sure. He will be testing it, and if he can't fix the problem, he will send it to Germany.
post #73 of 79 Old 02-06-2015, 05:55 AM

UPDATE FOR MY AVR)

Repair man called me today, said he had not found any problems, while using the AVR lol) So he will bring it to my house and we will test it here. I wonder what good will that do, even if it goes off. It's like he doesn't believe me, and I got 1 month of guarantee left.
post #74 of 79 Old 03-10-2015, 06:45 PM

I have a VSX-523-K that has the power off issue, I took the amp board out today and found out that the front left transistors are shorting out. If i unplug the amp board and try to power it on it will power on but shut down on over heat. I checked the error codes dc and temps are good but the over is going off. I hope that by changing these transistors it will solve the problem.
post #75 of 79 Old 04-07-2015, 10:09 AM

well I found this site which is awesome!!! anyways I just found an avr vsx-921 in the trash and now I see why. It turns on for 5seconds and shuts off. code says it is "over" what I guess is over heating.
post #76 of 79 Old 04-07-2015, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
My vsx-1021 bombed out this weekend.
My wife was redoing the floors so I had to unhook, then rehook everything back up.
I think the old UPS might have failed because when I went to check one speaker wire, the unit shut off.
When I tried to turn on it made a pop sound.
Now, all it does is blink teh red MCACC(sp?) light no matter what button combos I try.

Any suggestions?
I think it is toast.

Call me crazy but I will probably pick up the vsx-1124.
post #77 of 79 Old 04-21-2015, 09:09 PM

VSX-822 - Power one then off after ~5 seconds

I have had a Pioneer VSX-822 back to 6/2012. About a month ago 3/2015 I started to experience one of the "protect" issues where the system turns on for ~5 seconds then turns off. I have tried the ALC + Stanby options, but doing this doesn't start the system up at all for me. I can't even get it on to show the error codes. I believe my protect error is due to TEMPerature.

I don't smell any burn from within my system and don't see any capacitors or transistors that seem to need replacement.

I'm willing to replace the left channel transistors that emigono listed a while back to see if this gets the system fully back and running. However, looking into my VSX-822 I can't find the left channel board with these transistor #'s anywhere. Can someone please post a picture of where this board and these transistors can be found inside the receiver?

I also saw a post suggesting to replace the Amp Assembly with this part (do a Google search for Pioneer awz6848). However it makes no mention of being part of the VSX series of receivers...only Pioneer TVs. If this Board is in the VSX series receivers, I can't find it on mine.

Any pictures/input would be GREATLY appreciated. I really don't want to toss this thing out if there is a quick fix by replacing these 4 transistors for ~$25.
post #78 of 79 Old 04-21-2015, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemoors View Post
I have had a Pioneer VSX-822 back to 6/2012. About a month ago 3/2015 I started to experience one of the "protect" issues where the system turns on for ~5 seconds then turns off. I have tried the ALC + Stanby options, but doing this doesn't start the system up at all for me. I can't even get it on to show the error codes. I believe my protect error is due to TEMPerature.

I don't smell any burn from within my system and don't see any capacitors or transistors that seem to need replacement.

I'm willing to replace the left channel transistors that emigono listed a while back to see if this gets the system fully back and running. However, looking into my VSX-822 I can't find the left channel board with these transistor #'s anywhere. Can someone please post a picture of where this board and these transistors can be found inside the receiver?

I also saw a post suggesting to replace the Amp Assembly with this part (do a Google search for Pioneer awz6848). However it makes no mention of being part of the VSX series of receivers...only Pioneer TVs. If this Board is in the VSX series receivers, I can't find it on mine.

Any pictures/input would be GREATLY appreciated. I really don't want to toss this thing out if there is a quick fix by replacing these 4 transistors for ~$25.
Transistor #'s again are:
2SD2390 Transistor
2SB1560 Transistor
KTC3964 Transistor
2442043982 0.22 OHM 1W Resistor
post #79 of 79 Old 06-16-2015, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
was curious as to how people were going with there repairs. Mine has just started doing to temp then shut down after 5 seconds, but I have found ( media centre connected via hdmi then to tv) if I turn tv on then wait till it is fully on then power on amp the amp has no issues. So far anyway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 521 K 5 1 Home Theater Receiver Glossy Black