Pioneer VSX-521-k / 821-k / 921-k / 1021-k - Power-On problems? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 58 Old 12-28-2012, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm posting to try to find the common denominator with these models power failure issue. The entire family in this line seems to have the same problem: the power button is pushed - the unit comes on - the unit powers itself off after about 5 seconds.

I have read reports (here and elsewhere) of the same issue in the following models:
VSX-421-k (never seen one - maybe EU only model)
VSX-521-k
VSX-821-k
VSX-921-k
VSX-1021-k

VSX-522-k
VSX-822-k
VSX-922-k
VSX-1022-k

**EDIT** The final diagnosis would seem to be blown amp transistors. The part numbers appear on the 2nd page.

What I know so far...

- It's not the main fuse. This is located at the top of the "STANDBY ASSEMBLY" in the left rear corner. It should be visible using a flashlight without removing the cover.

- The Service Manual ( downloadable from electrotanya ) Lists a error log that can be run (if you're quick) and a reset procedure.
* error detection count - (from OFF/STANDBY state) press & hold [PRESET <–] &[ STANDBY/ON] buttons. Release when the unit powers on. each press of [ENTER] key display a protection error count. DC errors / OVERload error / TEMPerature errors
* error reset- (from OFF/STANDBY state) press & hold the [ALC/STANDARD SURR] & [STANDBY/ON] buttons. Release when the unit powers on. The unit will display "CLEAR?" press [ENTER] to reset error and error logs. The unit will respond with "OK".

- There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when the failure occurs. Some have had it happen within three months of new - most after warranty is gone. One unlucky individual had it happen while under warranty; had it repaired and it failed in the exact same manner within two months. Some have had it happen on power-on, others after extended use.

What I want to know...

- Was yours repaired successfuly? If so did the shop tell you what was replaced?

- Circumstances of failure? What was going on when it first failed? There might be a rhyme or reason we haven't found yet.

A lot of people have had this problem. If we can ID the problem we can keep from getting scammed by a repair shop, or possible repair them ourselves. Not everyone is comfortable with or capable of poking around in the guts of their receiver, but an informed consumer can help save time for a reputable shop to affect a repair.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old 12-28-2012, 11:57 AM

Liked: 10
I am having this issue. I've isolated the problem to a certain scenario. It happens when I power on the receiver, and then power on the TV. If I don't power on the TV, it doesn't shut off. I've tried unplugging all of my speakers, but that didn't do anything.

I called a repair center, they quoted me $150-$325 for the repair... I can buy a new one for that much.
post #3 of 58 Old 12-28-2012, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Treadted2

Which model do you have?

If I understand correctly - the receiver powers off when the TV is turned on. How is it connected? Does it do the same thing if you turn the TV on first? (I know that sounds obvious, but for some hardware if can make a difference.)

Jim
post #4 of 58 Old 12-29-2012, 09:36 AM

Hey I have 1021-k

I have all of my devices connected into the receiver via HDMI, and then one HDMI cable going from receiver to TV.

If I turn the TV on first, it doesn't shut off, BUT the tv has to full power up, which takes about 10 seconds. If I turn on the receiver before that, it will shut off.

If everything is on, and then turn the TV off and then back on, the receiver will shut down.

Powering up devices connected to the receiver(cable box, ps3, appleTV) does not cause the receiver to power off.

I've noticed then when it does power off from the TV being turned on, the HDMI light turns on(the red circle symbol on the interface) before it shuts off.
post #5 of 58 Old 12-29-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Treadted2

It sounds like your TV is doing something the receiver doesn't like during it's power-up. It could be noise, excessive current draw, or any of a couple of different things. The HDMI boards in these receivers apparently have some issues, too. There are several reports of problems when everything runs through the HDMI ports. If your TV has any other inputs try using them. You may get the same picture quality. More info and advice (from people that know more about HDMI than I do) can be found by searching "HDMI" + model number (ie: "vsx-521"). Try all the other model numbers.

The same thing can happen to a computer if the preipherals aren't powered up first... well... except that it won't power itself down. I suppose an exceptionally "noisy" device could crash it

BTW, this isn't exactly the problem I'm looking for input about. You're in luck there!!!

The problem I'm seeing is the receiver shuts itself off every time it's powered on even with nothing attached to it. There are currently 1/2 dozen of them on eBay right now "for parts or repair" with the same exact problem.
post #6 of 58 Old 12-29-2012, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

treadted2

Did you know that there is a firmware upgrade for your receiver?
post #7 of 58 Old 12-29-2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thx1138a View Post

The problem I'm seeing is the receiver shuts itself off every time it's powered on even with nothing attached to it. There are currently 1/2 dozen of them on eBay right now "for parts or repair" with the same exact problem.
Quote:

threadted2

Ah, ok, thanks for all your help. I tried another hdmi port on the TV, no luck. I'm wondering if the next step might be a higher quality hdmi cable. Might that make a difference? I just buy cheapies off of amazon.
Quote:

threadted2

I did update the firmware, so unless there is a new one(I updated several months ago), than I should be up to date
post #8 of 58 Old 12-30-2012, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Treadted2,

Glad to be of assistance (if I was any ?). I'm also glad that you don't have the problem I'm looking for. I don't mind off-topic (slightly) discussion - after all, I came here for help. (Well... by the title your question was actually on-topic.)

Besides I hate seeing people ask for help and then get ignored. Someone did ask the very same question I'm asking in one of the "Official" threads and they were completely ignored.

I'm not sure that a better shielded cable is the answer. Shielding is used to prevent radiated noice (static / EMF) . Noise picked up by the cable would be there all the time. Noise usually shows up as lines or static on the picture or buzzing in the audio. Noise from the cable is different from noise created by the TV. The TV's start-up (like a computer boot-up) may be creating noise out the HDMI port that 'confuses' the receiver. A better cable won't help this.

Something else to check... When I first got started with audio equipment, I liked everything nice and neat. I bundled all the excess cable up with twist ties. Looked great, but, every one of those neat & tidy coils of cable was acting like a small transformer. To see the effect in action, all you need is an extension cord and a cheap compass. Coil the cord up on the floor; plug it into the wall; set the compass in the middle. Plug something with a motor (drill, fan, etc) into the cord. When you turn on the device it should make the compass spin or at least change it's indication. (practical app from a military EMF reduction class). Keeping the power cables away from the AV signal cables can help. If you really want to find out if a shielded cable would help, you can make a temporary shield using scotch tape and tin foil. Cut the tin foil into strips and wrap the cable like tape on an automotive wiring harness. The foil has to touch the metal chassis of at least one of the devices. DO NOT use this as a permanent install unless the foil is covered with electrical tape over it's entire length. It will look really redneck, but it will tell you whether a shielded cable will make ANY difference at all.

OK enough BLAH, BLAH, Blah from me rolleyes.gif
Jim
post #9 of 58 Old 01-11-2013, 02:13 PM

Hey Jim! This is the closest thing to a solution I've had so far!

I haven't been able to turn on my reciever since my friend gave it to me. He has used it twice. Tried your tip to force power it on and it worked but it turns off after two seconds. Any idea how to fix that?

Also buddy told me that he had a temp flash on his screen for a couple seconds

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm a student and I really can't afford to repair/buy a new one
post #10 of 58 Old 01-11-2013, 02:38 PM

To add I found out that my DC counter is adding up after I hard start it. Temp1 temp 2 and over counters are at zero FYI
post #11 of 58 Old 01-11-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadted2 View Post

I am having this issue. I've isolated the problem to a certain scenario. It happens when I power on the receiver, and then power on the TV. If I don't power on the TV, it doesn't shut off. I've tried unplugging all of my speakers, but that didn't do anything.

I called a repair center, they quoted me $150-$325 for the repair... I can buy a new one for that much.

The TV is probably sending out a power surge while it is powering up.

This overdirives the amp and pushes it into protect mode. The protect mode may activate so quickly that you never hear the thud that often accompanies this situation.

If trying a different TV or simply disconnecting it alleviates the problem, the source of the problem is pretty obvious.
post #12 of 58 Old 01-21-2013, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Matt brownbear

The "force start" is just to be able to see the diagnostics. An overheat warning can be cleared (which you did), but the DC error is the one that prevents power-on. My suspicion is the "STANDBY ASSEMBLY" or "SMPS ASSEMBLY" has failed. These are the Pioneer part numbers and current prices: WRONG !!
PN 7028070225030-IL for the VSX521/821...$58.00
PN 7028070225070-IL for the VSX921...........$55.75
PN 7028070322010-IL for the VSX1021.........$81.75

- http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/model.asp?modelNum=VSX521K
- http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/model.asp?modelNum=VSX921K
- http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/model.asp?modelNum=VSX1021K

[U]PLEASE NOTE[/U] this is only a suspicion, NO confirmation of this from anyone. Until someone can confirm that they had this power problem and replacing this board fixed it, it'll only be a guess. One owner had this problem and had it repaired under warranty (now expired on all models), but can't remember / didn't know what they fixed. He sold the receiver when it failed a second time.

I got a VSX-821-K (with bad HDMI input) and swapped the standby assembly. The 521 and 821 use the same board. This DID NOT fix the problem. This means the fault is deeper in.

I'm still very open to input here.... I'm a computer nerd with diagnostic skills, not a repair tech or electrical engineer. At one point recently there were nearly a dozen of these on eBay with the same problem.

The entire VSX-xx21-k line is now out of warranty. These repairs are all on us now.

Jim
post #13 of 58 Old 03-22-2013, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

STANDBY ASSEMBLY is NOT the problem !!

Jim
post #14 of 58 Old 03-27-2013, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have the 921-k. Purchased in December of 2011.

Unit just failed exactly how you described it a few nights ago. I was playing video games and it turned off. Strange enough it was not at a part that was loud. The unit was very cool to the touch as well.

Unit powers on for about 2 seconds then shuts off. If I remove stand by fuse the device will not power on at all. I have also replaced the fuse with another receivers just to check with no luck. I have cleared all codes and that does not do anything to remedy the situation.

My guess would be the power supply. But I have no way of testing that theory.
post #15 of 58 Old 03-27-2013, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

@MisterW...

High volume / overheat doesn't seem to be factor. I have a VSX-521k & a VSX-821k. The 821 was sold to me as having a bad HDMI board. I bought it to swap the standby assembly (board with fuse on it) into the 521, but now I'm thinking I may just swap the HDMI boards and use the 821. I haven't tested the 821's HDMI inputs/output because I'll have to tear apart my current system to get an HDMI source. Given the problems some have had trying to get the HDMI setup and working, the 821 might not have anything wrong with it.

On the original topic: I'm starting to see reports that the 2012 VSX522k - VSX-1022k series are starting to have similar failures eek.gif .

PIONEER if you're listening... This is NOT how you win fans or loyal customers.

Jim
post #16 of 58 Old 03-28-2013, 10:03 PM

Hey, I have this issue as well. My model # is the VSX-521-K.
It will turn on for a few seconds and then turn back off. After checking the error codes, it does show a count in the "over" section. You mentioned before that you could clear those, do you know how to do that?
The unit is well ventilated and always cool to the touch. I tried the factory reset, but that didn't work either. Any thoughts?
post #17 of 58 Old 03-28-2013, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately, clearing them (OVERload errors) will probably not fix anything. It didn't on mine. I think the only error the clear will 'fix' is a TEMPerature error.

This clears ALL the counters. You have to be quick to get this done. If it doesn't help the unit will just switch off again and up the count to 1 (again).

From STANDBY state(off)
1. press ALC/STANDARD SURR+ STANDBY/ON keys (press and hold the keys for 10 seconds.)
- the display will read "CLEAR?"
2. press the ENTER key
- the display will read "OK"
- the display will return to a normal state

Jim
post #18 of 58 Old 03-31-2013, 06:46 PM

did you ever find a solution to this problem?
post #19 of 58 Old 04-01-2013, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

No solution yet !

I am going through the service manual checks, but it's slow going with the unit still fully assembled. The manual assumes you have it apart with special jumper cables reconnecting all the parts. I have disassembled it far enough to check for visibly defective parts (burnt diode or resistor, blown cap), but found nothing obvious. I had to put it back together to perform the voltage checks in the service manual.

I'm still hoping somebody who has had theirs repaired by a shop will chime in with what the shop said was bad.
post #20 of 58 Old 04-01-2013, 12:33 PM

Liked: 12
add vsx 1020k to the list. i lost the hdmi input board under warranty, the blue light of death came on 3 mths out of warranty and in dec (8 mths out of warranty) the remote eye on the receiver quit working. when the blue light of death came on i got an amp overtemp mssg. the tech who repaired it said the sensor went bad, i also think he was just blowing me off. the repair was 179. when the ir sensor went out i was able to sell it for 125 and the remote for 50 on ebay. pioneer would have to do a lot to get me back as a customer.

science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
post #21 of 58 Old 04-14-2013, 12:24 PM

Same thing just happened to mine. Did some cleaning - disconnected my sub after turning it off. Turned everything back on and now I am encountering this same power issue. Unit powers on for 5 seconds and turns off. I have tried everything I have been able to find on the internet and nothing is working....

Does anyone have any answers for this?
post #22 of 58 Old 04-15-2013, 10:15 AM

Called Pioneer customer support. Waited for 15 minutes to speak to a live person. He spent all of 90 seconds with me and referred me to a local repair center. Repair center wants 200 dollars.... UGH

I am done with Pioneer. I will never buy anything from them again. I have never had a piece of electrical equipment fail in this manner and have never experienced such lackadaisical customer support.
post #23 of 58 Old 04-15-2013, 11:41 AM

Liked: 12
1 yr warranty has to change to get me back. all 3 failures happened within 2 yrs
ebay is your friend biggrin.gif i sold my 2nd remote for $49 and a non operating avr 1020k for $129 biggrin.gif:D

science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
post #24 of 58 Old 04-18-2013, 02:13 PM

Thanks I will post it on ebay and take what I can get for it. Then I am going to go to every online place that I can and bash them as much as I can. I am very disapointed and frustrated with this purchase / situation. At least I can vent my frustration over the internet and maybe someone else will not suffer the same fate.

The good news is that I was able to pick up an open box denon AVR 1613 with a price drop at best buy for 250. Such a better receiver........

Thanks to all for their advice.
post #25 of 58 Old 06-05-2013, 10:05 PM

I have this receiver and it works and sounds great. I thought maybe that the power problem might be the infra red remote for the television is sending the on signal to the receiver too, which would turn it off. I bought this receiver at BestBuy with an extended warranty and only paid 200 including warranty which I think is four years.... It was a clearance model to make way for the newer model.... I don't have problem with receiver turning off after " two seconds on" however, not yet. There is a feature on the receiver that turns power off after a set time, I set it for six hours. It can be set for less time or turned off so receiver would stay on indefinitely.... Maybe thats not working correctly...
post #26 of 58 Old 06-08-2013, 11:43 PM

Hi! Having the same problem with my vsx-521K for months now..encountered it 6 times or so now and good thing it's still under warranty. The repair man said to me to lower the volume down and to put in a spacious place to avoid overheating, I did all of that then a while ago I was using my receiver again, then suddenly it turned off! (First time that happened to me, all 6 times happened when my mom/brother was using it). So because I don't want to bring it over again to the service center (which is 2 hrs away from my home) I researched in the net and found a solution to power up my receiver. http://electronicshelponline.blogspot.com/2013/05/pioneer-vsx-821-k-vsx-921-k-vsx-521-k_14.html I tried the advanced surround + standy mode/on and it turned on! I'm really disappointed with my pioneer AVR but I have no choice cuz I just bought it for 6 months. Hope the link helps you guys! btw. All errors were DC errors, can anyone tell me what a DC error is? not really a techie person. Thanks!
post #27 of 58 Old 06-14-2013, 01:41 PM

Hi all,

I had the same problem (switching off after 5 seconds) with my VSX-822k . Took it to a repair shop, they told me my left channel had died causing it to go into protection mode. They replaced the following parts:

2SD2390 Transistor
2SB1560 Transistor
KTC3964 Transistor
2442043982 0.22 OHM 1W Resistor

Now its working fine. This is for those technically inclined, checked the cost of these parts in total is like $40 tops.

hope this helps someone.
post #28 of 58 Old 06-14-2013, 03:52 PM

I have the Pioneer VSX-821 receiver. It will turn on then power off after only a couple seconds maybe 5 or so. I did the one test to see what the problem is and the counter for "Over" continues to increase it is the only one that increases. Any recommendations on what i should do.
post #29 of 58 Old 06-27-2013, 05:53 PM

I have a Pioneer VSX-821-k which will not power up at all. I tried different power sources, checked the connections, changed batteries in the remote and tried to power up from the unit itself, all with no avail. It was working fine and all of a sudden it would not turn on at all.
This is different then the power on then it shuts itself off problem, but wonder if it could be related. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you !!
post #30 of 58 Old 07-02-2013, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry All - I haven't been getting any updates on this thread.

On my end - The 821 I bought with the "bad" HDMI board is now dead too !! I have made contact with someone (A REAL person) at Pioneer, but still haven't heard back. Still don't know if they can or will help ?!?!

It's now beginning to appear as if the VSX-*22k series is going the same direction. eek.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

KOLGREN - Sorry to hear you gave up, but I totally understand. Pioneer is going to lose a LOT of loyalty over these failures. A receiver that can't make to the end of warrantee is bad - One that makes it a month out of warranty is WORSE !! My hope is that this is not another "planned obsolecense" gone wrong. Examples of this are: Apple Ipod (18 month non replaceable battery), Ford Mustang II (does RUSTang say enough), disposable Inkjet printer. An interesting video about "Planned Obsolecense" - The Great Lightbulb Conspiracy

STROTH - ditto on KOLGRENs remarks. I have considered the same sort of "Truth about Pioneer" type of campaign, but I'm there not yet. That is the type of campaign that got Apple sued and made them change the Ipod. Ipod battery lasted 18 months and wasn't replaceable - Apples solution was "go buy another one" (@ $500) eek.gif

PAUL46NIX - The "auto shutoff" was considered and rejected, because the error log shows actual errors.

DIMENSIA03 - Good username ! The techs advice is great IF you were having TEMP or OVERload errors. DC errors indicate a voltage problem. You might consider finding a different tech? That or you were having different errors then and the DC error is new?

*** EMIGONO *** - This is the kind data I've hoping to find !!!! That gives me specific components to test. EVERYBODY cross your fingers !!!

Jabob Barker - As Bruce Willis said "Welcome to the party pal". Unless your receiver was purchased in 2012, you're out of warranty.

MOJOE24 - Have you checked the internal fuse? It is located on the circuit board that the power cord attaches to. It looks like white ceramic. PLEASE, use caution if you open the case to check it. Unplug the unit from the wall before opening!! The fuse may be discolored if bad. Radio Shack is the easiest place to get a replacement. They might also put an ohmmeter on it to check it. *** Keep in mind that the capacitors inside take a while to discharge. Anything conductive (metal or YOU) that touches the wrong things could be bad. Old picture tube TV's were the worst - they could shock you HOURS after they were unplugged.

********************************************************************************************

I'm still hoping we can get to the bottom of this! When they work these are pretty good receivers. A recall on these is wishful thinking, but if we can find out what the problem is, we can fix them ourselves or at least take it in for repair KNOWING what needs fixed.

I don't have a lot of faith OR trust in most repair shops or people. I have been ripped off (and know too many others who have been ripped off) on repairs. It doesn't matter what type of product we're talking about: cars, appliances, electronics - If you don't know the problem you're at their mercy. I hate having to open my wallet and let them take money until THEY get tired.

Jim
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 521 K 5 1 Home Theater Receiver Glossy Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page