are there any receivers with line-level audio out? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 12-28-2012, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i want to be able to listen to to whatever audio is playing on my pioneer VSX-920 receiver, whether itunes or eyetv from my minimac, or digital fm or whatever's on tv, so i got a lo-power fm xmitter for xmas:-) that way i can use any radio in the house...

most video sources are digital audio, and of course the digital fm tuner is analog, but unfortunately:

"Audio signals that are input through the digital terminal will not be output from the analog terminal."

grrrrrr...so are there any receivers on the market that DO have line out for all audio inputs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-28-2012, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
The Yahama RX-A3020 supports HMDI, SPDIF and analogue inputs for the zone 2 pre-outs. Certain 2011 and earlier Denon receivers support SDPIF and analogue inputs for the zone 2 and 3 pre-outs. These zone pre-outs can be set a fixed volume and so can act as normal line-level outputs.

The simplest solution would be to hook up your sources using analogue audio cables as well digital ones.
post #3 of 17 Old 12-29-2012, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ridge View Post

analogue audio cables as well digital ones.

i'll give that a try, thanx...i was under the impression that the vsx tried the digital audio 1st & only looked @ the analog when there was no digital...
post #4 of 17 Old 12-29-2012, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

no joy: the analog isn't passed thru:-( got this switcher/audio breakout box on order:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2
post #5 of 17 Old 12-29-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 256
The Onkyo TX-NR-717 has analog outputs for all 7 channels.
post #6 of 17 Old 12-29-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Those are pre-outs on the TX-NR717. Plenty of higher end receivers have them, and all receivers have analogue speaker level outputs for that matter, but they're affected by the recevier's volume control and bass management so they may not be suitable for what airdrummer is trying to do.

While the VSX-920 should by default select the digital audio input jack over the analogue audio input jacks for a given input, this only applies to the speaker outputs. For the receiver's line level audio output it will always select the analogue audio input jacks because it's not capable of selecting the digital ones.

If you're not getting anything out of the line level audio output with the source hooked up by analogue audio cables as well then the problem is likely that your source doesn't simultaneously output digital and analogue audio. You probably need to select one or the other with your Mac mini.
post #7 of 17 Old 12-29-2012, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

"source doesn't simultaneously output digital and analogue audio"

nope, the fios box (minimac only has 1 audio out jack, either analog or optical) puts out both a&d, but it disappears in the vsx, so i'll just add the switcher between the rcvr & tv, altho i probably won't then b getting the tv's audio, but then who ever watches live tv;-)

as 2 no digital 2 analog, i suspect that's just an attempt to close the dreaded analog hole;-\

thanx 4 all ur suggestions, guys...i'll let u know how the switcher works...
post #8 of 17 Old 01-03-2013, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

the switcher arrived today, but is going back: no stereo output from the stereo port:-(
post #9 of 17 Old 01-03-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdrummer View Post

the switcher arrived today, but is going back: no stereo output from the stereo port:-(

Even with a stereo input? You'd think it would pass that through . . . But not too sruprising ifa switcher can't decode multichannel then mix it down to stereo, as that exceeds the concept of "switch." And having once improperly connected my center, I can tell you that listening to just th Land R of a multichannel mix is pretty useless, unless you just don't like to be bothered by all those people talking all the time in a movie . . .
post #10 of 17 Old 01-03-2013, 10:59 AM

My Harman/Kardon AVR230 outputs on 6.1 analog channels even when a digital sound source is used, I don't know if this is true for their newer HK HDMI receivers, but I have no problems even tho all my inputs are digital. I don't even run any speakers off the 230, I use it's pre-amp outs to distribute FL/SR/SB/C/SW to separate amps pushing Kilpsch F-series speakers, it sounds fantastic. I am going to be upgrading it this weekend to an AVR245 I just scored on ebay so I can have 7.1, HDMI and Dolby PIIx's features, I'll let you know if it distributes HDMI as well then.
post #11 of 17 Old 01-03-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Again those are pre-outs on the HK AVR 620. Any receiver with pre-outs supports using any kind of input, analogue or digital, with the pre-outs, just like they support any kind of input with their speaker outputs.
post #12 of 17 Old 01-03-2013, 01:00 PM

I am assuming that after the signal comes into the HK230's optical port ( which I set up to come in as an unencoded bitstream on the source device) , then the HK's DAC converts each channel based on the selected protocol and then selects the proper analog port to send it through, correct? For example, I select Dolby PLIIx, that is essentially the sound format that is going to be sent to the amps via analog by the HK if I set it up to decode on the receiver. Sure sounds like that is what I am getting. I'm getting killer movie surround and for the most part, excellent psuedo-5.1 channel from my old stereo CDs and killer SACD.
post #13 of 17 Old 01-03-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

The signal the that gets output from an AV receiver's pre-outs is exact same signal that gets output from the AV recevier's speaker terminals except that it hasn't been amplified to speaker levels. Internally after all decoding and processing has been applied, the same signal get split into two and gets sent both to the receiver's own internal power amps and the pre-out jacks.
post #14 of 17 Old 01-03-2013, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAz View Post

exceeds the concept of "switch."

that may be, but monoprice specifically advertizes that:

"This 4-way HDMI switch features S/PDIF Optical Toslink, Digital Coaxial, and analog 3.5mm stereo output ports, allowing you to connect to the audio inputs of any AV receiver or amplifier. A built-in DAC allows simultaneous audio for HDMI as well as the three audio only outputs.
Integrated audio converter for simultaneous digital and analog audio output on all audio output channels"

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2

got my rma...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ridge View Post

The signal the that gets output from an AV receiver's pre-outs is exact same signal that gets output from the AV recevier's speaker terminals

that's what i need, so i'll just hafta spring 4 a new receiver;-\
post #15 of 17 Old 01-03-2013, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 154
So perhaps the switch woulld output stereo if you wet the sourcec device to output stereo so it has a stereo signall to process
post #16 of 17 Old 01-07-2013, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

nope, nothing out with stereo input, either:-\ and i specifically want stereo out for all inputs...i could use the b speaker outputs, but i need line-level...
post #17 of 17 Old 08-28-2013, 03:59 PM

Hello Airdrummer,

the Onkyo TX NR 414 is doing what you want, an unampilfied line-out for zone 2, I have the same needs but not sure wether to buy the receiver because of flaw reports, nevertheless it is fairly cheap because of these reports...I wanted this for connecting the receiver to an amp, to be able to listen to high quality stereo from the receiver's DAC via the amp, plus having home theater..
greets
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page