newbie needs help with receiver selection - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-28-2012, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would really appreciate recommendations for what type of receiver I need. I have been reading different post for about 2 weeks in an effort to gain some info about HT. I am on a very tight budget (2 kids in college and 2 in high school) with aconsiderable WAF to contend with. My current situation is as follows: About 6 months ago my main TV broke and I bought a 47 inch Vizio with 3D capability. I received a Sony 3D blu ray for a Christmas gift. I have found a very nice pair of Klipsch KLF 10's with center speaker locally (the guy is asking about $500.00). Is this a reasonable price and if I bought them what receiver do I need bearing in mind that I would like to get to 5.1 eventually? Suggestions as I have already said are very welcomed. 2 weeks ago I had never heard of Klipsch and I thought Bose were the top speaker available so as you can tell I need help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-28-2012, 06:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 353
How much are you willing to spend on a receiver? You didn't provide a budget.

Afro GT
post #3 of 7 Old 12-28-2012, 07:48 PM

Liked: 17
As a long time Klipsch user / fan I've always like Marantz receivers paired with Klipsch. But any quality receiver should work well. If your getting a Klipsch center with the KLF 10's (and they are in good shape) that price is pretty good ... though it never hurts to offer a little less. You'll want to be getting some rear speakers and sub-woofer in the future. For the rears you will want to stick with Klipsch. Mixing different brand speaker usually does not work out to will.

The lazy man finds the easiest way ... Ben Franklin
post #4 of 7 Old 12-28-2012, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for your input. Like I said, I read as much as I could lately and I especially like this site. I've come across your posts quite often and you seem to be well informed but I must admit most of the info here is over my head. So keep things simple for my sake. To answer your question I could probably afford something up to the 400 - 600 range. My family use will be mainly movies but I will mostly listen to music. Also, I want to be able take advantage of the 3-D capabilities.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-29-2012, 10:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
For $400 I recommend the Onkyo 616. I have a denon 3311 and bought tne onkyo 515. A $1200 reciever vs a $300 receivef and I can say onkyo rocks. I want the 616 just becuase it have 5 band eq plus another 4 bands for sub. Thats something tne 515 dont have. Crutchfield mentioned the x515 has manual eq but its not. Now i cant return the 515 because the z616 was discontinued from crutchfield. I have to sell it locally and get the 616 somewhere else.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-30-2012, 02:53 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 1345
In that price range, consider either the Denon 1713 (5.1) or 2113CI (7.1) both of which include Audyssey MultEQ XT. Give Electronics Expo or AVS Sales a "call" for their best price. Review post #2 of the Denon AVR-XX13 Owner's thread linked in my sig to see a comparison of the features of each model. Note that MultEQ XT or the lower version MultEQ is much superior to the 2EQ featured on the lower level Onkyo models (717 and lower).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7 of 7 Old 12-30-2012, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 780
some good receiver recommendations so far, and I would like to add the onkyo tx-nr809 to the list. yeah it is last years model and all, but amazon has been having it on some amazing clearance sales of late. it can be had for around $425-$475. Not bad for having a msrp originally of $1100. it has just about every bell and whistle you can think of including networking and decent room correction (audyssey mutteq xt), access to music streaming services, a butt-ton of input options, full pre-outs if you ever want to add a separate amp later on etc. At the clearance pricing it is a huge bang-for -your-buck model right now and definitely worth consideration in your price range.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page