Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #271 of 424 Old 09-24-2013, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Jitter is commonly referring to HDMI connection, not this streaming. There are too many stages in this and you are typically started with a lossy MP3 anyway. I personally don't care about jittering, nor I can hear such thing. So, I'm not the person to ask this question. But I can say this: if your speakers are not $5k each, you probably not in the business of caring about jittering either.

BTW, the Pioneer version of anti-jitter technology is called PQLS (over HDMI only). This receiver already supports it but you need a Pioneer Elite BD player that also supports PQLS to complete the loop.
Errol77 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 424 Old 09-24-2013, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Excellent Fox,

I will buy you a drink for all your kind Help ... It's a shame that I don't live nearby.

I allways try to use WAV, SACD, Audio DVD or any other format over 44 Khz 16 bit content, and don't use MP3, ACC, or any looseless format by anymeans... I'm very picky about playing lossless in this excellent AVR. I leave my Denon in my Bed room to do standard CD or WAV.

Good point about speakers, I use a Definitive Technology almost Top line 5.1 in main room, and in 2nd Zone I have little better "Dynaudio Speakers" (I think are the best), many studios including Pioneer certification "Airstudios" have this brand of speakers in all of recording rooms (offcourse bigger ones).

Agree with you about Jittering, I don't know if this a REAL or just a Marketing blurb.

Here is an open Question to all people..

Does anyone hear the difference WITH AND WITHOUT JITTER in this Receiver aka PQLS (over HDMI only). ..?

UPDATE: Here a link from Stereophile about digital Jitter, that I will read tomorrow.
http://www.stereophile.com/reference/1093jitter/

I'm very tented to buy the Pioneer Elite BD player with multi-PLQS and try to hear if this Real improvment..

PLEASE SEND YOUR THOUGHTs

Kind Regards/Saludos..!
post #273 of 424 Old 09-26-2013, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I would like to see what others are achieving with EQ ??

Im a newbie to MCACC but can anyone explain these graphs?

Did the Full Auto MCACC, then reajusted to small ,corrected distance ,Levels , did the Save All SP and redid MCACC

This is with just Left Speaker

Blue = Direct ,EQ ON

Green = Direct , EQ OFF

Red = Pure Direct ,..NO EQ

direct.jpg 78k .jpg file Originally Posted by randyc1

Can anyone explain these differences ?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg direct.jpg (77.7 KB, 24 views)
post #274 of 424 Old 09-26-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 222
There is a dedicated MCACC thread here for discussion of MCACC.
post #275 of 424 Old 09-26-2013, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Yes i know , but no responces there either ??
post #276 of 424 Old 09-26-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyc1 View Post

Yes i know , but no responces there either ??

well, maybe no one knows what you're reason for asking is? or where they came from or how you took them (Pioneer data dump, REW, Omnimic, XTZ, etc)? or what would you like to know? or what's confusing about them to you? or how you set your speakers for bass mgmt or what crossover was used? or even a basic what speakers they represent since there's only set of comparisons?

wink.gif

at face value, they more or less make sense to me...at face value.

but without knowing any system, speaker setup, what speakers are these measurements for, the room acoustic, subwoofer or not, how many if any, what you'd like to gain from this, there's nothing really anyone can discuss. plus, these measurements (however you took them) are unique to your room, your speaker(s), your calibration parameters, etc so comparing with someone else is pointless.

plus, you freely admit you took Auto MCACC settings and changed the distance and channel levels. not sure why you did that. distance is not the physical distance, but the acoustic distance, especially for subs may not be the same at all as the physical distance. distance also takes into account the delays from going thru multiple DSP's in the receiver. for instance, I have an outboard SVS Audyssey based sub EQ'r and without it, every Pioneer I've owned sets the sub distance ballpark about 15 ft. even tho physical distance is a bit shorter than that. going thru the SVS EQ however, now 2 Pioneers set the distance at 22-23 ft! the lag going thru the ext sub EQ with all its processing adds to the delay time and hence distance.

so, you took the auto EQ and basically threw some of it out the window in favor of some other settings. so how is someone supposed to relate to & comment on any measurements you took & whether they makes sense or not?

they certainly don't represent what the Auto EQ calibration would have or could have been.

at least you got some discussion wink.gif

Steve
post #277 of 424 Old 09-26-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Direct uses MCACC
Pure Direct does not

there's minor differences once you get past the bass region and that's consistent with how a graphic or even parametric EQ'r seems to work. it basically tracks the non EQ'izd response, less of a dip here or less of a bump there...why, because MCACC is a 9 band graphic equalizer, not a parametric so there's gaps in the "corrections" applied between the freq bands.

a more sophisticated parametric EQ like Yamaha YPAO and certainly Audyssey with its time domain measurements could have more of flatter overall response. I was able to achieve more or less flat bass with the exception of 2 true room nulls using Velodyne's built-in parametric EQ'r in my hi $$ DD sub. the SVS Audyssey EQ'r I have is even flatter wink.gif

differences in bass response - you do have the effects of the Standing Wave Filter and Phase Control at work. SWF is a 3 freq notch parametric filter and is set automatically based on the measurement Pioneer takes or can be manually set, cutting 3 bass region freq's so that peaks are smoothed out. Phase Control also has an effect by increasing the group delay where the measurements are taken until all the freq's more or less are close to the same amplitude at the mic.

makes sense?

it still doesn't negate the fact that your graph is unique and may not represent what MCACC would have done since you changed some parameters. all in all, conclusions from your graph cannot be generalized without knowing exactly what you did, how you measured, what speakers were measured, were they set as Large or Small, was a sub used or not, what the crossover was, etc. IOW, no real conclusions can be made, one way or another, whether they are "good" and typical of a Pioneer calibration. but my guess is the mid to high where the EQ'd and non-EQ'd responses more or less track each other, dip by dip, peak by peak are typical for the type of EQ system it is. a true parametric EQ above the bass region might show more differences. who knows...

Steve
post #278 of 424 Old 09-26-2013, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Ok these measurements were taken with emc8000 and REW for Statement Monitor speaker (1), No Sub ,set to small , 80hz
The Mic was never moved .
Yes i ajusted the levels with the rew spl meter more precisely.

Mcacc set speakers to large even my excisting center ( Kef Egg?)
Should i have left them to Large also ?
I understand the why sub distance is further to compensate for elec delay and was not touched.and not used for these measurements.

Just trying to understand the differences in the high freq?
post #279 of 424 Old 09-30-2013, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Nobody ?
post #280 of 424 Old 10-01-2013, 04:48 PM

Dear All,

Just want to know what is a regular Powed Drawn from this excellent Receiver SC-65.

Everyone knows the power handling of the aparatus can deliver 130 Watts x 9 (8 Ohms) at full power into the speakers for a Total of 720 W, I assume an average of; Power Consumption = 330 Watts. at medium- high load,;
In real life with a standard setup (5.1 or 7.1) I used more less between -45 to -30 in the volume grid depending of the source, even at night I use between -45 to -50 more offen.

I don't think the Power drawn of the AVR is consuming more than 150 Watts at this level of volume and it consume almost equal to a regular PC with a performence GPU and CPU..

Does any of you know by any chance what is the Real power consumption of this SC-65 at a low-medium volume or level..?

I think this is very important to know since the energy cost is going up this days. rolleyes.gif

Thank you for your kind comments or thinking,

Sincerely
post #281 of 424 Old 10-07-2013, 02:51 PM

Can anyone comment on the D/A Converter capabilities on this model? debating if this is enough for a HTPC. music and movies are primarily stored on the PC or HDD's.
post #282 of 424 Old 10-22-2013, 04:42 AM

Hi all,

I have an SC-65 with Emotiva UPA-7 amp. All my speakers are Mythos. My set up is 9.2.

I am connecting 5 speakers to the SC-65 (F/LR, Center, S/LR) and the other 4 to the amp (B/LR and SideSR/LR).

The front Height or Wide connections on the SC-65 are not in use.

Before getting another pair of speakers, can I connect 2 more using the receiver F/HW connections?

Thanks.
post #283 of 424 Old 10-31-2013, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi ,anyone know if an older Pioneer Elite ( VSX 92 txh ) remote will work with the SC 65 . Im thinking probably or even my Harmony maybe ?
Im asking because I can get an open box with no remote or microphone for 700.00. Complete warranty etc...

Tom O.

post #284 of 424 Old 10-31-2013, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Not sure about the SC-65 remote but the Harmony works with the 92.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #285 of 424 Old 11-05-2013, 08:36 PM

Liked: 11
Hope people are still looking here. I have had my reciever for about 9 months now. I switched to a projector and I don't get a signal to the PJ. The cord works directly to the device but not through the AVR. I am using a Monoprice Redmere cable. Not sure what the problem is. Could it be the Qdeo? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #286 of 424 Old 11-06-2013, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadayo View Post

Hope people are still looking here. I have had my reciever for about 9 months now. I switched to a projector and I don't get a signal to the PJ. The cord works directly to the device but not through the AVR. I am using a Monoprice Redmere cable. Not sure what the problem is. Could it be the Qdeo? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have an SC-1522K and all of my HDMI sources routed into the receiver and then out to a JVC RS46 projector and it works fine.

I also have the second HDMI out sending to a small TV/monitor and standby passthrough is enabled as well. I get my TiVo's HDMI output on the TV and projector without issue regardless of whether the receiver is powered on or in standby.

Give a little more information about your current and previous connections and what gear you have and maybe we can help.

post #287 of 424 Old 11-15-2013, 02:33 PM

Hi,

Has anyone experienced any issues connecting their SC-65 to an HTPC via HDMI? I've set up an HTPC and I connected the receiver to an HDCP-capable video card. My PC can see the receiver as I have the SC-65 listed as a second monitor now and it appears as an HDMI connected option in my HD Digital Out sound properties. I even set the PC default audio to the SC-65. I have connected it to the HDMI #4 input on the receiver.

No matter what I try, I cannot get the receiver to see my HTPC. There is a blue HDMI indicator light on the front of the receiver that lights up when the HDMI connection is successfully made. I never get this after selecting that input. I have tried powering both devices down and starting the PC first and then the receiver and vice versa- I get nothing. No connection, no video/audio.

I was reading on HDMI.org and I know there are handshake issues connecting to an A/V Receiver. Apparently, this is because an HTPC might not consistently stay in "repeater" mode after the input is switched and then the connection will be lost. However, I feel like this implies that at least one successful connection would have to have been made in order to have this problem.

The manual addresses connecting with an HTPC via DLNA options only- not too much in the way of HDMI connections.

At a loss here. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks

HTPC Specs

Windows 7 64 bit
Intel i7 Mobo
EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti FPB 1024 MB Graphics Card

SC-65 Setup
Connected to Panasonic Plasma via HDMI out (ARC)
post #288 of 424 Old 11-15-2013, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 146
I just stream stream stuff from the pc via the BDP or smart TV. Samsug, LG and other offer these options which may workout better.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #289 of 424 Old 11-20-2013, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 55
From what I understand if I'm running 7 speakers on the receiver I'm not going to get a full 130 watts of power to each channel. I have heard the more speakers I add, the output power decreases to each speaker.

My question is; if I add a external amp to run 3 of the 7 speakers will the receiver automatically realize this and feed more power to the other channels that are being driven by the receiver?

RC-64 Center, RF-7 Fronts, RF-82 Sides, RW-12D, QTY=2, RSW-15, RS-52ii Rears, Pioneer SC-1522-K, Panasonic 65VT60, 65"
post #290 of 424 Old 11-20-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacomus View Post

Hi,

Has anyone experienced any issues connecting their SC-65 to an HTPC via HDMI? I've set up an HTPC and I connected the receiver to an HDCP-capable video card. My PC can see the receiver as I have the SC-65 listed as a second monitor now and it appears as an HDMI connected option in my HD Digital Out sound properties. I even set the PC default audio to the SC-65. I have connected it to the HDMI #4 input on the receiver.

No matter what I try, I cannot get the receiver to see my HTPC. There is a blue HDMI indicator light on the front of the receiver that lights up when the HDMI connection is successfully made. I never get this after selecting that input. I have tried powering both devices down and starting the PC first and then the receiver and vice versa- I get nothing. No connection, no video/audio.

I was reading on HDMI.org and I know there are handshake issues connecting to an A/V Receiver. Apparently, this is because an HTPC might not consistently stay in "repeater" mode after the input is switched and then the connection will be lost. However, I feel like this implies that at least one successful connection would have to have been made in order to have this problem.

The manual addresses connecting with an HTPC via DLNA options only- not too much in the way of HDMI connections.

Thanks

HTPC Specs

Windows 7 64 bit
Intel i7 Mobo

SC-65 Setup

Try connecting a second monitor to your HTPC while it is still connected to the receiver. The receiver should be powered on and set to the input for your HTPC. Right click on your desktop and select Screen Resolution. Select the monitor that shows up as the SC-65. Make sure it is attached. Make sure it is set to a compatible resolution for your television (1920x1080 or 1280x720). From the Multiple Displays drop down select Extend these displays. Then select Apply. If it still doesn't work click the Advanced settings link and then click the List All Modes button. Verify that the currently selected resolution has a refresh rate of either 30 or 60 Hertz. If it is working go back and set the SC-65 as your primary monitor. If it doesn't work after all that, I have no idea.

post #291 of 424 Old 11-20-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadayo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacomus View Post

Hi,

Thanks

HTPC Specs

Windows 7 64 bit
Intel i7 Mobo

SC-65 Setup

I'm using the 50' Monoprice RedMere cable to connect to my Panasonic AE4000U projector, and I have no issues. Did you make sure to run the RedMere cable in the right direction?

post #292 of 424 Old 11-20-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmo View Post

Try connecting a second monitor to your HTPC while it is still connected to the receiver. The receiver should be powered on and set to the input for your HTPC. Right click on your desktop and select Screen Resolution. Select the monitor that shows up as the SC-65. Make sure it is attached. Make sure it is set to a compatible resolution for your television (1920x1080 or 1280x720). From the Multiple Displays drop down select Extend these displays. Then select Apply. If it still doesn't work click the Advanced settings link and then click the List All Modes button. Verify that the currently selected resolution has a refresh rate of either 30 or 60 Hertz. If it is working go back and set the SC-65 as your primary monitor. If it doesn't work after all that, I have no idea.

Ok, I will try that. Thanks. I got it to work connecting my Panasonic TV to the HTPC but I can't accept that. It outputs my quality surround audio signal to stereo and I don't benefit from the Pioneer video processing.

I'll try it out!
post #293 of 424 Old 11-22-2013, 09:02 PM

Liked: 22
I'm having an issue playing Blu-Rays.
My BDP-BX2 supposedly can output TrueHD soundtracks, and the SC-65 can too.
When playing a TrueHD Blu-Ray my receiver only shows PCM, not TrueHD.
Is this a handshake problem?
Pretty sure my Blue-Ray player is setup correctly.
post #294 of 424 Old 11-22-2013, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Electric Wiz View Post

I'm having an issue playing Blu-Rays.
My BDP-BX2 supposedly can output TrueHD soundtracks, and the SC-65 can too.
When playing a TrueHD Blu-Ray my receiver only shows PCM, not TrueHD.
Is this a handshake problem?
Pretty sure my Blue-Ray player is setup correctly.

Hi Mr. Electric Wiz, set the Blu-ray player HDMI Audio to "Auto" and BD Audio to "Direct".
post #295 of 424 Old 11-26-2013, 10:26 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi Mr. Electric Wiz, set the Blu-ray player HDMI Audio to "Auto" and BD Audio to "Direct".

This is how my Blu Ray is setup currently.
When watching TrueHD soundtracks, is the screen on the SC-65 supposed to show TrueHD?
I would assume it would if the signal is passed through to the receiver.
post #296 of 424 Old 12-10-2013, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

When watching TrueHD soundtracks, is the screen on the SC-65 supposed to show TrueHD?

Yes. If the player is pushing TrueHD, then the SC-65 should show it on the screen.

There are never failures, only challenges.
post #297 of 424 Old 12-16-2013, 04:23 PM

Hey guys, Just got rid of my Onkyo nr1007 and got me a sc65! so far a very happy guy. I also have a BDP 51fd for blu rays that Ive had for awhile. Besides being slow its a great player, but now im curious if I can control the bluray player with the sc65's remote or the Icontrol app on the android fone.

Have been reading around but havent sen anything that caught my eye.
Thanks
post #298 of 424 Old 12-17-2013, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

If you set your player to output audio as Uncompressed/PCM, it will perform the audio decoding of all Dolby/Dolby TrueHD and DTS/DTS-HD Master Audio - related soundtracks internally and send the decoded audio signal in uncompressed form to your home theater receiver. As a result, your home theater receiver will not have to perform any additional audio decoding before the audio is sent through the amplifier section and the speakers. With this option, the home theater receiver will display the term "PCM" or "Multi In" on its front panel display.

If you select Compressed/Bitstream, the player will bypass its own internal Dolby and DTS audio decoders and send the undecoded signal to your HDMI-connected home theater receiver. With this setting, the home theater receiver will do all the audio decoding of the incoming signal. As a result, in this case, the receiver will display Dolby, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD Master Audio, etc... on its front panel display depending on which type of bitstream signal is being decoded.

You have the choice as to which setting to use, and as mentioned above, either setting should yield the same audio quality.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #299 of 424 Old 01-04-2014, 11:28 PM

I picked up an open box SC-65 today and got to work configuring my remote, and re-configuring my system setting up this receiver.

I've tried everything I can think of, so I'm hoping someone here can help.

I have two issues going on:

1, unable to get Opt-1 or Opt-2 audio to work from my Tivo. I used the optical out from my Tivo on my last rcvr, so I know it is set correctly there. I do get the video on the input selected, just not getting the audio.

2, unable to connect to the internet. I do have a valid IP address from my router, and I am able to ping from my computer, as well as see my computer music files from the rcvr.

I did do the USB update of the firmware, but still cannot get to the network. I've not tried the Opt input since then, but I doubt that would do much.

I did see another post about a member powering down/unplugging the unit and then having network success upon power-up.

I also saw a post about the sub not being recognized. I too plugged mine into zone 2 initially. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to run the setup again.

Thanks in advance. 

post #300 of 424 Old 01-05-2014, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muphasta View Post

I have two issues going on:
1, unable to get Opt-1 or Opt-2 audio to work from my Tivo. I used the optical out from my Tivo on my last rcvr, so I know it is set correctly there. I do get the video on the input selected, just not getting the audio.

I'll address one of your questions....

1. in the receiver's input setup menu, make sure the Opt connection you are "plugged" into is the same as the input you are using for the Tivo's video input.
2. if the Tivo's connected by component video, that should work but you may need to use the SIG SEL (signal select) button on the remote to manually override the receiver using HDMI as its first choice for audio. by default, the Audio Signal source is set to Auto and the priority is HDMI >> Digital >> Analog. so if the Tivo is plugged into an input that is also assigned to one of the HDMI inputs, the receiver may be looking for HDMI as the audio source.
3. if the Tivo's connected by HDMI, then you may have to use the SIG SEL (Signal Select) button on the remote to manually choose digital opt audio over HDMI. (although using HDMI, I'm not sure why using optical wink.gif but I thought I'd cover this in case.
4. note: if you are using component video and also using one of the inputs that is assigned to an HDMI port, you can go into the input setup menu and unassign the HDMI port for that input. that way having the audio SIG SEL set to Auto would go to opt/dig as it 1st choice by default.

the 1st item to address is to make sure the physical opt connection number matches what is assigned in the receiver. and if its also assigned to an HDMI numbered connection, the optical assignment may be greyed out and not available, so un-assigning the HDMI number may be needed and then opt assignments can then be done.

I tried to cover all the possibilities since we don't know your setup nor what you did in the menu. just follow a logical path for matching input assignments and selecting the audio source and it will work smile.gif

Steve
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Elite Sc 65 9 2 Channel Thx Select 2 Plus A V Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page