post #361 of 426 Old 03-19-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

I'd have to look at the block diagram in a service manual I have for the SC-57 & do give you my interpretation of the circuit paths. the 57 has similar design topology. when I get a chance today or tonight, I'll take a look.

are you not getting 5.1 out and checking or asking before you try it?
Oh, don't bother trying to figure that out. I don't think it would work for me, anyhow, to restrict inputs to just the optical inputs. I was just curious.

I was thinking about ordering Turtle Beach XP400 Dolby surround headphones which take a 5.1 digital optical input, and it would have been convenient for me to just take that from the AVR's digital output. I guess I'll have to either get a toslink switch (since my output devices have unused toslink outputs) or an hdmi audio extractor to get a toslink signal out of one of the AVR's hdmi outputs.

Thanks.

Added: Since the AVR doesn't ordinarily pass audio to its hdmi outputs, I'm going to get a toslink switch to feed the headphones.

Greg Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 426 Old 03-28-2014, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

Added: Since the AVR doesn't ordinarily pass audio to its hdmi outputs, I'm going to get a toslink switch to feed the headphones.
I did buy XP400 Turtle Beach headphones -- they were on sale at Amazon for $130. I gave up on the idea of using my Pioneer to supply them with optical digital input, as advised above, and I did instead buy a toslink switch, on Amazon it's "ViewHD SPDIF | TOSLINK Digital Optical Audio Connector (Matrix 4x2)", for $50.
Since I'm bypassing the Pioneer AVR entirely for the headphones, this is off-topic, and I'm keeping it short.
It all seems to be working, basically, except that the base unit for the headphones won't accept some DD ("Master Audio") from my blu-ray player, and the headphones sound rather muffled, compared to the AVR with my speakers. Not so good with music. The headphones do a nice job with surround effects in TV movies, though. The wireless feature works fine.

Greg Lee
post #363 of 426 Old 03-31-2014, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi guys, I just snagged a SC 65 for a great price. I have an SC-05 as well that I will retire to my secondary system (still love that receiver).

I was wondering, can you set it to upscale everything to 1080P *unless* it's already 1080P, and in that case, just pass it through?

Or is my only option if I want 1080P passthrough to set everything to passthrough?

Thanks!
post #364 of 426 Old 03-31-2014, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I've just got a new sc-65 on the week-end to replace my old vsx-1018,
everything hooked up, runs fine so far,
connected 7.1 speakers, again all runs fine.

On the back of the receiver it says: "caution speaker impedance 4 ohms" on front height and wide

my question is: can i hook up some older JBL 50 watts 8ohms speaker for front height?
are they going to hold up or blow up?

The rest of the set-up has 125-150 watts speakers connected, i just wanted to re-use these older speakers.
btw I'm running my fronts Polk rti10's on a pre-out NAD amp to alleviate the load on the sc-65.

Also i was wondering if i connect another set to front wide as well as having front height will they all play ?
receiver is 9.2 but connections for 11.2, i'm a bit confused here.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

thank you
post #365 of 426 Old 03-31-2014, 09:01 PM

should be fine just make sure in the settings of the reciever set them to small speakers , also if im not mestaken you can change the Oms also in the speaker settings

post #366 of 426 Old 03-31-2014, 10:01 PM

Thank you very much
post #367 of 426 Old 04-01-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleybla View Post

Also i was wondering if i connect another set to front wide as well as having front height will they all play ?
receiver is 9.2 but connections for 11.2, i'm a bit confused here.
No, the receiver won't do front wides and front heights at the same time (at least if you have all 11 connected up and enabled). Having 11 speakers connected just gives you some choice about which 9 speakers to use. It can't be more than 9 and may well be only 7, depending on what sound mode you've set the receiver to. I think it's true that the Dolby Digital modes only do 7. Neo:X can do 9.

Greg Lee
post #368 of 426 Old 04-05-2014, 08:37 AM

I hope someone can help. My SC-65 is having remote/network issues. I hit the NET button and can cycle through the network functions but cannot go up/down on the remote to select anything. In addition I get server error messages on internet radio/sirius/pandora. This happens on the stock remote and a universal. If I reset to factory settings will I have to re-program my remote/hdmi settings/network settings all over again?

Anyone else have this issue?
post #369 of 426 Old 04-05-2014, 06:02 PM

Hi again, when I power off the receiver the message zone 2 on appears. How do I remove this? Also, just added a Martin Logan sub whose manual says I should customize the subs frequency range through the receiver but I can't seem to find the page to set the subs range.hanks
post #370 of 426 Old 04-05-2014, 06:16 PM

I figured out that I had turned on multi zone accidentally. Sorry for the unnecessary post
post #371 of 426 Old 04-15-2014, 09:37 PM

Two problems I'm currently having with my sc-65, cbl-sat hdmi output quit working ( now using bdr-dvr). I get a pop in my speakers when I hit ff along with a super high pitch sound , like it's some type of ground fault, if I unplug the unit it goes away. Now when I turn the unit on sometimes I get no sound, I change the channel & sometimes in get sound & sometimes I don't, unplugging will usually reset but sometimes I have to do it a couple of times. Any ideas ?? I'm in California & never had these problems with the oink yo I had before.
post #372 of 426 Old 04-21-2014, 02:02 PM

Liked: 13

I'm new to AVS Forum - great resource and I look forward to helping out in some way.  I'm ripping my small (~150) CD collection to a lossless format.  I haven't decided between FLAC and ALAC, though I do use iTunes on my iPhone. I have WiFi, but thought I'd just buy a 128GB USB stick and plug it directly into my receiver to minimize connectivity and speed issues.  As I see it, the pros/cons to this setup are as follows:

Pros

* Great quality sound (not audiophile quality, but my 50 year old ears can't tell the difference)

* Inexpensive ($55 for a 128GB stick)

* No network headaches

* No quality hits due to streaming hiccups

* Simple, convenient 

* Quiet, low power 

Cons:

* limited storage/expansion for the future

* Need to dedicate usb stick or plug/unplug everytimg we want to enjoy music

* No easy way to make/use playlists (I think this is true...maybe the iControl AV helps?)

A bit about me and my needs:

* I'd be an audiophile, but prefer to keep my retirement plan funded ;-)

* Much of my equipment was purchased open box to save money.  I tried to hit the "sweet spot" with my modest budget

* Simple is preferred though I can handle most things technically (networking, tweaking settings, etc.)

* My music library grows very slowly...maybe 1 or 2 CDs each year

Any suggestions or thoughts? Thanks!

TV: Panasonic 60GT50

Receiver: Pioneer SC-65

Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP-93

Turntable: Project Audio Carbon

5.1 Speaker system: Polk Invisible in walls + SuperCube 2000 sub (sounds great and wife friendly!)

Content: Lots of 3D blu-rays

Television: Panasonic TCP60-GT50
A/V Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-65
Satellite: Dish Hopper with Sling
Fronts and Rears: Polk Audio (Vanishing Series) RT-65; Center: Polk Audio (Vanishing Series) 255-RT; Subwoofer: Definitive Technology Supercube 2000
3D Blu-Ray Player: Oppo BDP-93; Turntable: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon
post #373 of 426 Old 04-23-2014, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I personally didn't like the media server on my SC-65.
No easy way to search, which may not be a big deal for most people but I have 1,000 plus artists in my collection.
I ended up getting a Raspberry Pi (with a USB DAC) and listen to my digital media that way.
Much, much better.
post #374 of 426 Old 04-23-2014, 06:01 PM

Thanks for the input.  Is your dislike user interface specifically or are there quality improvements with your Rasberry Pi solution?  With 1000+ artists, I can see why navigation is important.  I have a much smaller collection that includes about 25 artists or so.  Mostly, I need good sound quality and a few playlists and I'm good to go.  

Fronts and Rears: Polk Audio (Vanishing Series) RT-65; Center: Polk Audio (Vanishing Series) 255-RT; Subwoofer: Definitive Technology Supercube 2000
post #375 of 426 Old 04-24-2014, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I'm sure you'll be fine then.
What I really needed was a way to build playlists on the fly, like if I'm having a party or something, and be able to search for songs and artists in an easy way.
The sound quality was fine when listening to the music directly from the SC-65, but the interface was lacking I though.
You should try it and see if you like it. You've got nothing to lose.
Also, you could try it with a USB stick you already have lying around and put one or two albums on it to see if you like it.
post #376 of 426 Old 05-01-2014, 07:57 PM

Exactly...thanks and I will report back my findings in the next few weeks!

post #377 of 426 Old 05-07-2014, 05:40 AM

Here seems like the obvious place to ask my questions:

I have an older VSX-1126K receiver that currently is out getting fixed., so I can't really test it.. -BUT- I have purchased a new set of speakers for an entertainment room that I will be building shortly. The speakers are rated at 4Ω and my VSX-1126K doesn't really say that it supports that low impedance. I have checked the SC-1527K and it is clearly listed. This has me thinking that the older receiver will not, or more to point, if doing so will sound wrong and over stress the unit causing it to fail.

I need a new receiver (or pre amp power amp) as this is going into a new room and I don't happen to have a real spare receiver hanging around. I have heard from multiple sources that using an external amp will help offload the stress of a low Ω speaker, and the older VSX-1126 does have pre-out capability. But I am wondering if a better class of receiver like the SC-1527 is enough of a jump up to handle a more demanding speaker? Or would it make more sense to poach the VSX-1126 from the upstairs family room TV setup that really doesn't need a big unit, and move it downstairs. Buy a dedicated 3 channel amp that does 4Ω for my new speakers, and get a cheaper rceivere off kajiji (craigslist) to replace the one moved downstairs.

How good are the Pioneer Elite units. Will the SC-1527k unit stand up to usng 4Ω speakers and not simply cook itself and fail in 2-3 years outside of the warranty period.

Matt
post #378 of 426 Old 05-11-2014, 05:00 PM

double post sorry
post #379 of 426 Old 05-11-2014, 05:01 PM

double post. sorry
post #380 of 426 Old 05-11-2014, 05:14 PM

HI, new to the thread.

I have the sc 65 bought earlier this year. Everything was working perfectly until i moved last week, i just got a chance to reconnect it and all i get is a blue blinking MCACC light. it doenst turn on.

Any help would be really appreciated. Searched a lot online but with no solution.

Thank you

post #381 of 426 Old 05-12-2014, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sv Va View Post

HI, new to the thread.
I have the sc 65 bought earlier this year. Everything was working perfectly until i moved last week, i just got a chance to reconnect it and all i get is a blue blinking MCACC light. it doenst turn on.
Any help would be really appreciated. Searched a lot online but with no solution.
Thank you

See page 101 of the Manual:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/SC-65_OperatingInstructions061112.pdf

Both scenarios with a blinking MCACC light indicate you need to call a Pioneer authorized independent service company.

post #382 of 426 Old 05-12-2014, 02:05 PM

I have the same issue... with the blinking blue mcaa light...

I called Pioneer and they told me that because I bought mine on Amazon (only about 4-5 months ago) they would not honor the manufacturer's warranty.
They actually stated that Pioneer does not honor ANY Elite products purchased from any online site and that purchasing online immediately voids the manufacturer's warranty.
Now that is some BS! But thats also for another thread...

My question is, has anyone else had this issue before and any idea how much it would cost to get fixed?

The closest "authorized repair" place is about 45-60 mins from my house and charges me $59 to look at it and diagnose it.

I really just want to know if this is going to be one of those situations where it winds up costing me the cost of a new one just to get it repaired.

Anyone have any insight??

Thanks!
post #383 of 426 Old 05-12-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 331
^^
for both of you blinking MCACC light guys -
this is from the service manual for the SC-57 (same amp design). the Advanced MCACC light blinking can mean it

detected DC current in the amp output or detected some other abnormality from the amp section

you can try the amp protection reset:

During Standby mode, simultaneously press and hold the "TUNE" and "MULTI-ZONE ON/OFF" keys
for 5 seconds.

again, this is for the SC-50 series but yours is the same chip amp and amp design. so it's worth a try & may save you a trip to a repair shop. if Pioneer changed the button presses for your models, unfortunately I do not have a later service manual to refer to.

BTW - as far as online purchases of Elite AVR's, this has ALWAYS been Pioneer's policy. You get an offiical warranty only from an authorized dealer. Authorized B&M dealers are supposed to have territorial restrictions, around 200 or 250 mile radius, but a particular dealer MAY choose to "bend" the rules and take a phone call sale but only those internet dealers shown on Pioneer's web site are considered authorized (like BB-Magnolia). All the rest, even ones on Amazon, are not considered authorized. Most probably do offer a warranty thru Squaretrade or something similar but that warranty is extra money and with the dealer not Pioneer. IF you get around the internet & the forums, you'll discover there are a few authorized dealers friendly to phone sales & with those a warranty should be good. Amazon per se, IIRC, is NOT an authorized dealer for Pioneer Elite. Be mad if you will, but that's the way it is. Many knowledgeable AVS members could have told you that in advance if you had asked in a thread about it. Don't get mad at Pioneer, that is their policy. There are some companies, like Anthem I believe, that don't honor transferred ownership, which I think is pretty harsh.

Steve
post #384 of 426 Old 05-12-2014, 03:57 PM

Thanks a lot for the suggestion! I'll try it when I get home and give it a shot.....

I hear ya on the warranties and actually get it on Pioneer's side -- I did just look it on from when I purchased though (I take screen shots on large purchases luckily!!) and Amazon listed it as having a 2-Year manufacturers warranty so perhaps I can hunt them down on it! If they advertised it then they should honor it is the hope!
post #385 of 426 Old 05-16-2014, 04:57 PM

Anyone using a turntable with their sc-65? When I purchased mine I didn't listen to music much but ever since I've found myself listening much more and when I read about jack white's new album "lazaretto" and the features of the vinyl pressing, I feel that is what I want to hear. Any suggestions and or advice for playback of a phono system as well as tips for digital listening. Currently my listening setup is using my sc-65, 2-definitive technology bp8060st, Spotify over airplay set to extreme quality, and USB drive for FLAC file playback.
post #386 of 426 Old 05-16-2014, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 331
^^
if you don't know this stuff already, your SC-65 lacks a phono input. if you are new to records, you cannot use a line level input (CD, DVD, etc) for turntables.

cartridge output is in the 2-5 mv range for moving magnet cartridges and could be much less for moving coils. while line level is 2.8 volts. a phono input provides the extra gain needed.

plus, a line level input lacks the RIAA EQ curve needed for vinyl. when recordings are mastered for vinyl, the bass & treble is severely limited to meet a specific RIAA curve because the extreme groove tracings required could not be played. on playback, the phono preamp applies the inverse of this EQ to restore natural bass & treble.

you will need to buy a dedicated phono preamp and plug the turntable into it and the preamp into any of the line level inputs on the SC-65. you can find ultra cheap & lower performance for $50-100 or spend thousands on hi-end pieces. I've had a Musical Surroundings Nova II in my system that works & sounds great but it's $1200, the lesser MS Phonomena model is $600. and those are in the price range for entry-level "audiophile" phono preamps.

if you just want to dapple to try out vinyl, you may want to look at something like a NAD PP2E for $170:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_745PP2E/NAD-PP-2e.html?tp=204&awkw=68730687025&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=41464047025&awdv=c

there are ones that cost less and ones that cost $10K+ wink.gif

do some homework and you want something better than a budget DJ preamp to really appreciate vinyl.

others to consider might be Pro-ject and Music Hall. they can be had reasonably costs from places like Music Direct, Acoustic Sounds, Elusive Disc, Jerry's Needle Doctor. just search these kinds of places for phono preamps and see what fits your budget and how serious you want to get.

Steve
post #387 of 426 Old 05-16-2014, 05:46 PM

Thanks for the reply. I knew I needes a preamp I just don't really know enough about them in general. Thanks for the input
post #388 of 426 Old 05-18-2014, 05:41 AM

Dead Subwoofer?

Tried to add a second sub today (Klipsch sw-115). Power light turns on but when I connect the LFE no sound and no "thump" to indicate any signal going to it from the Pioneer.

Before I return it, just wanted to confirm no setting is missing. 

Note, when I touch the Sub 1 and 2 with my other subs RCA I do hear a thump.

Thanks for any help / advice.

post #389 of 426 Old 05-18-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill401 View Post

Will the SC-1527k unit stand up to usng 4Ω speakers and not simply cook itself and fail in 2-3 years outside of the warranty period.
I use the 1522-k (US version of 1527) with 3 Axiom 4ohm speakers. After one year, no problem.

Greg Lee
post #390 of 426 Old 05-18-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceans View Post

Tried to add a second sub today (Klipsch sw-115). Power light turns on but when I connect the LFE no sound and no "thump" to indicate any signal going to it from the Pioneer.

Before I return it, just wanted to confirm no setting is missing. 
A thump is not intrinsically a good thing.

Try a different sub cable, and try connecting the cable to the other sub output. Turn the sub crossover control all the way up. With your fingers touching the sub's grill, play something with bass, and turn the sub volume control up to see if you can feel some vibration. (Fingers work better than ears for very low frequency sounds.)

Greg Lee
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Elite Sc 65 9 2 Channel Thx Select 2 Plus A V Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page