Official Pioneer Elite SC-65/SC-1527-K Owners Thread. - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 417 Old 05-19-2014, 05:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can feel a very faint vibration cross over turned up and gain to full.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 417 Old 05-19-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Then I guess you'll have to return it. But do change out the cable and connections at the receiver side, just to be sure, and twist the RCA connector at the sub end back and forth a couple of times. One of my subs has a defective line level input, but it also has speaker-level inputs which still work, so trying those is another possibility, if your sub has them.

Greg Lee
post #393 of 417 Old 05-20-2014, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I lost my volume OSD. How do I get it back?

My setup:
Pioneer Elite SC-65
Sony VPL-HW30ES Projector
Sony BDP-s790
Monoprice HDMI 1.4 cables

There are never failures, only challenges.
post #394 of 417 Old 05-21-2014, 03:56 AM

What is the point of the Zone 2 & 3? from the spec inside the manual, these zones can only be from an analog source and not a digital. Doesn't that sort of hinder the use of the zone.

I see a zone connection is a great method to extend the speakers out to another room that you would not always want to be on all the time but in some cases would be preferable. For example, you have the receiver in the TV room, but also have a dining room and formal sitting room. You have dinner guests over. it would be nice to play dinner music in the dining room but if you are limited to a sole analog input, you can't stream from say your AppleTV connected via optical as it would never make it to that zone.

Or you are having a party, and now you want the music played across the house. So you want the main + zone 2 + zone 3 to be playing all the same. HOW?

With the older receivers they had the speaker A & B, you could turn them on and off independent of each other but they all played the same source.. You would have essentially a 2 zone system but it worked. What is up with what they gave us.
post #395 of 417 Old 05-21-2014, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill401 View Post

What is the point of the Zone 2 & 3? from the spec inside the manual, these zones can only be from an analog source and not a digital. Doesn't that sort of hinder the use of the zone.

I see a zone connection is a great method to extend the speakers out to another room that you would not always want to be on all the time but in some cases would be preferable. For example, you have the receiver in the TV room, but also have a dining room and formal sitting room. You have dinner guests over. it would be nice to play dinner music in the dining room but if you are limited to a sole analog input, you can't stream from say your AppleTV connected via optical as it would never make it to that zone.

Or you are having a party, and now you want the music played across the house. So you want the main + zone 2 + zone 3 to be playing all the same. HOW?

With the older receivers they had the speaker A & B, you could turn them on and off independent of each other but they all played the same source.. You would have essentially a 2 zone system but it worked. What is up with what they gave us.

the more expensive model last yr, the SC-68 had a zone 4 for HDMI. if you wanted that kind of feature, maybe you should have looked at the SC-68 wink.gif

you still can have a Speaker A/B setup in 2 rooms. Pioneer didn't take that away. you just have to pick one of the speaker configurations that give you a stereo B pair. there are at least 2 configurations that will do that for you. read the manual. if you choose one, then you give up the option to have front wide/front height in the main room. I have the 68 but check your manual again for which pair of extra channels you lose.

and BTW - at the time your SC-65 came out, NO receiver from ANY company had digital zone 2/3. none! receivers do not have the converters in them to convert HDMI to digital o digital matrix switchers in them and never did! I've had top Elite models all the way back to 2002 and not one had the feature you envision.

did it ever occur to you that you can use the Digital output? you do have one wink.gif just run it to the 2nd room to another receiver or digital device in that room. the only difference between this & multizones is that you can't use HDMI source (none do this), and you can't have one source in the main room and another in the 2nd room.

if I'm not mistaken, even the current competitive models from Denon, Marantz, Yamaha can't do digital multizones, altho each company's top models do have an HDMI zone 4 just like Pioneer.

sounds like you might want a B speaker setup. check pg 19-20 & pg 74 in your manual - the configurations and speaker switching options are clearly described. and these will be stereo so no surround. you may be somewhat confusing a B speaker setup with a multizone setup with respect to sources.

Steve
post #396 of 417 Old 05-21-2014, 05:37 AM

perhaps you missed my point.

You are correct that none of the receivers or pre-amps that seem to be out there have a digital forwarding of a signal to any of the zones. You take a look at the specs given for even the newer SC-75 that Pioneer is touting as having 9 of the Sabre32 DAC's inside, so clearly it should have enough hardware to Digital to Analog Convert (DAC) your toslink or coax digital signal over to the amplifier assigned to a zone, or an RCA port to pre-out.

I fail to see any reason for wanting an analog zone. So you could hook up a Squeezebox, and hook up via RCA out, but use an appleTV, sorry you are out of luck as it only outputs via toslink. Yes, you can hook up a CD player, but it's not like that has very good inter room controls. What other thing would you have?? A VCR? Those died around the same time a dinosaurs. Use a more modern DVD or BluRay and oops, you are into a digital signal. The whole thought of ZONE is selling us FLUFF that has ZERO real value.
post #397 of 417 Old 05-21-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

no I didn't miss your point at all. I got it. and I understand what you mean by not being able to just use a digital source digitally.

but you are complaining about something in a product in 1 mfg when all of them don't have this capability. so it seems to me, you are looking for AVR's in general to do this, when they don't.

just connect up a pair of analogs from Squeezebox to the receiver and use the remote button to select the analog signal for the 2nd zone.

or setup a B speakers configuration.

this isn't that hard wink.gif there are EZ ways to have a 2nd zone either with a 2nd pair of cables or just use the A/B speaker switching function that you already have and said you liked back in the day wink.gif just select the appropriate speaker config in the setup menu and done. what's the problem? you'll have all sources, no limitations. I don't see the problem here.

sure, there's a limitation with how AVR implement multizones but I know of no AVR or prepro device that has this onboard capability to act as a matrix digital switching hub, not even ones costing in the $10K range. only last year did HDMI zone capability become available. not defending, just stating facts.

besides, with the emphasis on home theater/video, the use of HDMI will become the prevalent connection. and Pioneer was the 1st AVR company to have an independent HDMI 2nd zone.

companies that make receivers, especially in the lower price ranges, operate at razor thin profit margins and some lose money. so don't expect any of them to put in a feature out of the kindness of their hearts just so some folks have the convenience of using a receiver for all conceivable purposes. they make decisions and so far, no company has put digital coax/toslink matrix switching capability or the ability to send digital to zone2/3. plus, any resources spent to getting away from analog zones will be to use HDMI because that's what most people will use to connect sources these days.

Steve
post #398 of 417 Old 05-21-2014, 06:29 AM

Just think of all the money they could have saved if they didn't put a zone into receiver in the first place. And you are going on to say that they did HDMI HD zone.. Yes, but take a look at how useless that actually was. The HDMI zone is nothing more than a passthough. It doesn't take the sound output from the HDMI signal and send it out to an analog channel, so I'd hardly call it a zone. If they had it so the HDMI connector could pass sound to a zone speaker then it might add some value, but as it stands it does not.

Take a look at the junk inside SC-75 with 9 DAC's . If they are living on a razor thin profit margin then why not pull 8 of those chips out as your not using them as you can only have 1 digital source. Hence you only need 1 DAC to convert the signal. But in the name of making things more complex than they need to by, lets split every digital signal and process it though multiple chips so it just costs more to do.

It is simply adding in features that are not required. Why not add a cell phone charging USB plug onto the reciever, or perhaps a special channel for a baby monitor.

Unless we the users of the units start to voice our disgust over how badly features are implemented, how would we ever expect for the vendor to know that they are doing such a bad job and maybe, just maybe improve in the future.
post #399 of 417 Old 05-21-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:

Take a look at the junk inside SC-75 with 9 DAC's . If they are living on a razor thin profit margin then why not pull 8 of those chips out as your not using them as you can only have 1 digital source. Hence you only need 1 DAC to convert the signal. But in the name of making things more complex than they need to by, lets split every digital signal and process it though multiple chips so it just costs more to do.

That's incorrect. Each DAC converts one channel of digital audio to the speaker or pre-out. SC-75 is a 9.2 receiver. Hence it requires 10 DACs. If you only have 1 DAC, your AVR effectively is just a mono AMP.

I agree that Zone feature is a wasting of money and confusing to setup. But I assume there are plenty of demands out there to justify the cost. I also like to see all analog audio inputs to be gone to save the extra costs and space on the back of the AVR.
post #400 of 417 Old 05-21-2014, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Save for a couple though... Squeezebox and one analog for a turntable.smile.gif
post #401 of 417 Old 05-21-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

That's incorrect. Each DAC converts one channel of digital audio to the speaker or pre-out. SC-75 is a 9.2 receiver. Hence it requires 10 DACs. If you only have 1 DAC, your AVR effectively is just a mono AMP.

Funny that.. But if you take a look at the chip spec, it actually has 2 channel capable per unit, so they could have gotten away with 5 of those chips. Then you have the larger Sabre32 Reference or Ultra chip like used in the Oppo that gets away with less chips as the single DAC and do 8 channels. All comes down to what chip you spec. Now does the 2 channel Sabre32 cost significantly less, to the tune of the additional support and circuit to support them? i don't know.. but if they put in 9 of them then they have 18 channels worth of computing power to drive 9 amps, or even 11 if you count the FH & FW options on different circuts. So there is still a good 7 channels left free. So you have FREE DAC CAPACITY for 3 other zones even if you dedicate for surround processing. Why not use them for a couple of toslink's plus a co-axle digital input? You've paid for the hardware why not use it. And I will bet that you could charge an extra $200 for the unit just having a digital output to the zone..
post #402 of 417 Old 05-21-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

companies that make receivers, especially in the lower price ranges, operate at razor thin profit margins and some lose money. so don't expect any of them to put in a feature out of the kindness of their hearts just so some folks have the convenience of using a receiver for all conceivable purposes. they make decisions and so far, no company has put digital coax/toslink matrix switching capability or the ability to send digital to zone2/3. plus, any resources spent to getting away from analog zones will be to use HDMI because that's what most people will use to connect sources these days.

I think it may have more to do with antiquated copy protection thinking than saving a buck. My big bitch with not passing a zone 2 digital signal is not being able to connect my set of wireless headphones and using zone2 to control the gain. WAY more difficult than it should be. Technology has blown by the HDMI protocol in regards to "protecting" a digital signal.
post #403 of 417 Old 05-21-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The HDMI zone is nothing more than a passthough. It doesn't take the sound output from the HDMI signal and send it out to an analog channel, so I'd hardly call it a zone.

confused.gif
and I thought you wanted to do away with analogs for zones wink.gif

FYI - hate to burst your bubble again but NO AVR or prepro, even expensive boutique ones, crossconverts HDMI to analog audio.

that's not in the receiving/transmitting chipsets and maybe not even allowed by the HDMI licensing. the receiver has to take an HDMI input, do the encryption HDCP handshake and pass it on with the encryption intact to the transmitter chip. the receiver is not the source or the endpoint of an HDMI signal but an HDMI sink.

there are HDMI switchers that can strip the HDCP encryption for converting to 7.1 analog audio outputs. those devices are available from suppliers like HDTV Supply & Monoprice like this one:

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-to-7-channel.html

but they are limited to HDMI 1.3b or 1.4, not yet for 2.0 and cost several hundred bucks which would add to the cost of a mass-market receiver. some of what you seek is available and there for the CI market or advanced user who is willing to spend some extra money for a custom multiroom solution. but this is a mass-market receiver, which has a swiss army knife list of features for the majority of "normal" or "typical" users.

cover 85-90% of the users for the money 85-90% are willing to spend.

Steve
post #404 of 417 Old 05-21-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Take a look at the junk inside SC-75 with 9 DAC's

where did you get the idea it has 9 DAC's? do you have service manual or documented proof?

I have the service manual for the SC-57, older but the SC-60 & 70 series should be just refinements on the design, not whole sale changed. all Pioneer did was change DAC suppliers, from the Asahi Kasai AKM4480 to the ESS Sabre 9016.

and there are 5 main DAC's, not one for each channel. there's one DAC for each of FL/FR, C/SW, SL/SR, SBL, SBR, FHW-L/FHW-R. that's 10 channels using 5 DAC's, I believe what you stated is your "recommended" use.

Pioneer has ALWAYS used 1 DAC for 2 channels, in previous designs. they already use 2 channel per DAC capability.

DAC chips can be used so that channels are stacked for greater SNR & lower THD. The Oppo 95/105 players do this for the dedicated stereo outputs but not cost effective in a mass market receiver where the use of 2 ch/DAC is very close to the ultimate use of a DAC chip.

so, no, none of the Pioneer's have 18 channels of capability and channels being wasted rolleyes.gif

BTW - the USB DAC port that's in some models is a separate DAC chip, not the same ones used for 9.1/7.1/5.1 audio.

Steve
post #405 of 417 Old 05-21-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

confused.gif
and I thought you wanted to do away with analogs for zones wink.gif

FYI - hate to burst your bubble again but NO AVR or prepro, even expensive boutique ones, crossconverts HDMI to analog audio.

that's not in the receiving/transmitting chipsets and maybe not even allowed by the HDMI licensing. the receiver has to take an HDMI input, do the encryption HDCP handshake and pass it on with the encryption intact to the transmitter chip. the receiver is not the source or the endpoint of an HDMI signal but an HDMI sink..

SS9001 -- I hate to burst your bubble but why don't you bother trying to READ the previous posts so that you can FOLLOW what the conversion was all about.

I am talking about sending sound to another ZONE and why do they even bother putting that feature into a receiver when all you can do is analog?

It was brought up that Pioneer came up with the GEE WOW we can now do HDMI to another zone. But it offers ZERO real advantage other than you can put a TV in another room.

Show me where inside the HDMI secification that you MUST be sending multiple channel sound? IT IS NOT THERE. You could send CD sound over HDMI and have ZERO problems with encryption or copy protection. it's just a Flippin Cable that sends data. Why didn't they let the sound from an HDMI cable be channeled through to a zone amp output.. even if it gets down samped to 16bit 44.1

I KNOW THAT THIS LIMITATION IS NOT JUST PIONEER BUT ALL THE OTHER MAIN STREAM MANUACTURERS OUT THERE. BUT IF WE DON'T COMPLAIN THAT THEY ARE DOING A CRAP JOB OF GIVING US REASONABLE EQUIPMENT THEN THEY WILL NOT CHANGE.
post #406 of 417 Old 05-21-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

so complain to them not to me!

All I'm doing is giving you facts and reasons, it you don't like it, talk to THEIR CUSTOMER SUPPORT people or marketing folks.

DO SOMETHING CONSTRUCTIVE instead of ranting in a forum thread!

Go to the next CEDIA show and go to the Pioneer, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo booths and talk to the heads of marketing. Send a PM to AVS Forum member Walkamo, who is Pioneer US head of Home Audio, tell HIM.

but "shouting" to me isn't going to change things, is it? don't kill me, I'm just the messenger.

I understand completely what you are saying. you have 12-13 posts, I have nearly 10 years and over 8000 posts, and am a very frequent poster in Pioneer threads. why take it out on someone who is giving you facts & reasons for why things are the way they are?

put me on your ignore list or calm down.

Steve
post #407 of 417 Old 05-21-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

"HDMI to another zone. But it offers ZERO real advantage other than you can put a TV in another room."

not completely true...you can send it to another receiver and use it for other sources and a complete surround sound setup. that is more of a big deal & advantage, is it not?

Steve
post #408 of 417 Old 05-21-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

roadkill401,

if you want to do something constructive and possibly make a difference to these companies...

why not start an email campaign to the marketing folks at each company?

I did on behalf of all forum owners of Pioneer's very expensive ($7000) former flagship AVR, the Susano SC-09TX. I did this to try to convince Pioneer to offer us a hardware upgrade package to get some newer features. I enlisted about 2 dozen forum members & owners from around the world, put their names on an email that I composed, and emailed it with the names to several people high-up at at Pioneer US that I have met.

I also attended 2 CEDIA shows in Atlanta, not just for the fun of seeing new gear, but to meet, shake hands with & specifically talk to Walkamo & other Pioneer attendees about the Susano.

I rant too, but I also did something other than pound my complaints and ideas on a keyboard. In the end, it didn't get us an upgrade pkg but it did get my name & person in front of several important folks at Pioneer as a big Pioneer fan, contributor & resource person here. as a result, at least one hi-up marketing person knows me by name, face & has had several calls with me so I'm not a faceless username just complaining on a forum.

If you feel that passionately about this issue, take to the streets and send off emails to each company. at least that's constructive wink.gifsmile.gif

peace

Steve
post #409 of 417 Old 05-29-2014, 09:19 PM

Liked: 11

Have any SC-65 owners encountered any issues with composite video inputs, particularly with older devices, e.g., laserdisc players, vintage video consoles, etc.?  I've seen the notice about how if you use ARC with HDMI, you lose the SAT/CBL audio channels, but that's not what I'm referring to.  I'm specifically interested in how a perfectly working device can be hooked up to composite/analog connections, and the AVR being apparently incapable of detecting the incoming video signal.

(Some backstory:  I just picked up, and returned, an SC-77.  It was a lovely receiver, but I had to return it because it wasn't working with some of my composite video devices.  By not working, I mean the video wouldn't show up through the receiver.  The audio was working fine, but no video.  The devices that all had issues were on the older side (90's and earlier); the devices that were more modern (00's and later) fared just fine.  Sometimes I could get the video on these older devices to work by unplugging/replugging the cables, or by fussing with the video parameters, but sometimes, and with some devices, it wouldn't work at all.  All of these devices had worked (and still work) just fine with my VSX-32, so I don't know what the issue is.  Neither did the vendor, nor Pioneer support.  Hence my return.  I would still like to get a receiver that's capable of 9.1, and I'm fairly brand-loyal to Pioneer, but I don't know how far back this composite video bug extends.  I'm looking for information to help inform my decision:  go with an older Pioneer model, or wait for a later Pioneer model, or look toward another brand.

If you've successfully used this AVR with legacy devices (ideally multiple legacy devices) through a composite video input, or if you've encountered any issues getting said devices to work with this AVR, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

tony426 likes this.
post #410 of 417 Old 05-30-2014, 01:50 PM

So, I'm trying to do a software update, and no matter what, even w/a fan blowing directly on the unit, I get Amp Overheat. I left the thing off for over 30 minutes, it felt cool to the touch, and after hitting "OK", the darn thing shuts off. Any ideas?

post #411 of 417 Old 05-31-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megarat View Post

Have any SC-65 owners encountered any issues with composite video inputs, particularly with older devices, e.g., laserdisc players, vintage video consoles, etc.?  I've seen the notice about how if you use ARC with HDMI, you lose the SAT/CBL audio channels, but that's not what I'm referring to.  I'm specifically interested in how a perfectly working device can be hooked up to composite/analog connections, and the AVR being apparently incapable of detecting the incoming video signal.

(Some backstory:  I just picked up, and returned, an SC-77.  It was a lovely receiver, but I had to return it because it wasn't working with some of my composite video devices.  By not working, I mean the video wouldn't show up through the receiver.  The audio was working fine, but no video.  The devices that all had issues were on the older side (90's and earlier); the devices that were more modern (00's and later) fared just fine.  Sometimes I could get the video on these older devices to work by unplugging/replugging the cables, or by fussing with the video parameters, but sometimes, and with some devices, it wouldn't work at all.  All of these devices had worked (and still work) just fine with my VSX-32, so I don't know what the issue is.  Neither did the vendor, nor Pioneer support.  Hence my return.  I would still like to get a receiver that's capable of 9.1, and I'm fairly brand-loyal to Pioneer, but I don't know how far back this composite video bug extends.  I'm looking for information to help inform my decision:  go with an older Pioneer model, or wait for a later Pioneer model, or look toward another brand.

If you've successfully used this AVR with legacy devices (ideally multiple legacy devices) through a composite video input, or if you've encountered any issues getting said devices to work with this AVR, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

The problems you describe with the SC-77 sound remarkably similar to the issues I have with a Pioneer SC-LX77, a European model which I believe is very similar to the SC-77. In fact the timing of your post couldn't be better, because I'm currently in discussion with the dealer and Pioneer on the best course of action. Pioneer UK are saying they never heard of this problem, but that may be due to so few people actually using the feature. I've forwarded them a link to your post.

I tested the SC-LX77 with various composite video sources; 2 Pioneer LaserDisc players, 2 VHS and a 2000-era Pioneer DVD player with composite video out, and the video conversion failed to work reliably with any of them. I also tried 3 different TVs, 2 HDMI cables, and numerous composite video cables. All of this equipment works fine on a direct connection, when the AVR is taken out of the equation.

When testing with an LD player, the TVs displayed 'no input signal' until I changed back and forth between different analogue inputs on the AVR. Then the LD players' blue screen was displayed as a distorted mess of colours, which changed slightly as I switched resolution on the receiver, or pressing the system button on the LD player to swich from PAL to NTSC. When starting LD playback at this point I could usually get a picture, but the signal was lost again after pausing playback and trying to resume, or whenever there was a disc side change. Part of the problem seems to be that the AVR doesn't like the blue screen/on-screen display output by the LD player prior to playback, or during pause and side change.

I even had problems with the Pioneer DVD player. On 2 of the TVs I tried (both Panasonics), when bringing the player out of stand-by the TV behaved as if there was no input signal, when it should've been displaying the Pioneer logo output by the DVD player. After selecting a different analogue input on the receiver and switching back to the correct input, the Pioneer logo was displayed correctly. Disc playback was normal from this point onwards. However, if I put the DVD player into stand-by and powered it on again, no picture was displayed and I had to switch inputs again to recover. The 3rd TV I tried (a Samsung) behaved slightly differently. The Pioneer DVD logo was displayed at power on, but it was enlarged and shifted towards to the lower half of the screen. Changing inputs back and forth on the AVR restored the image to normal.

I had slightly more luck when testing with VHS, but the AVR still behaved erratically. NTSC VHS playback was OK, without any need to switch inputs on the AVR, until I tried resuming playback from picture search, at which point the picture was lost and the TV thought it was receiving a 24p signal. Switching inputs on the AVR restored picture. Curiously, I had no problems with PAL VHS playback through the AVR. I tried picture search, pause/resume repeatedly, without any loss of picture.

Like you, I'm a big fan of Pioneer products, but trying a replacement with another of their receivers would too risky for me, and I could end up back to square one. I think I'll have to try another brand, Yamaha perhaps, and hope I have more luck there.

post #412 of 417 Old 06-02-2014, 08:20 AM

Liked: 11

Thanks for the feedback, and indeed, your problem sounds exactly like mine, particularly how the idle screen wouldn't be seen by the receiver.  E.g., with the LD player, even when I managed to tweak the receiver to get it to see the LD player, it would only see it when it was playing a movie.  Beforehand, it wouldn't show the black screen (the TV would say "no signal"), and none of the LD player's on-screen display would ever be visible, except occasionally as a brief flash.

A curious effect I noticed:  when playing an LD and pressing stop, if I were getting a true uninterrupted composite signal, upon stopping the LD I would get a black screen with the LD player's OSD message of "STOP" in the upper corner.  Instead, the receiver would show a freeze-frame of the last image it received, which clearly it interpolated itself.  I wonder if some of this extra video-conversion logic that the receiver is doing also introduces some mistakes where it can't find the start of a signal to begin with.

If I can make a request:  can you also cross-post your story above on avsforums's official SC-77/79 owner's topic?  It would be nice to have these stories consolidated into the same thread.  (I had posted here to see if anyone was having this same problem with the SC-65.)  Thanks again.

post #413 of 417 Old 06-02-2014, 10:51 AM

I'll certainly post the above info in the SC-77 owner's thread, together with some pictures of the distorted on-screen display. I'm also forwarding any relevant posts from that thread for Pioneer UK to read, although I'm not holding my breath for a miracle fix. It seems like a problem with whatever video processing/upscaling IC Pioneer are using (Marvell QDEO?). Perhaps it's something Pioneer could eventually fix with a firmware update, but it's probably too late for me. My SC-LX77 is being collected on Wednesday and I doubt it will be replaced with another Pioneer model.

Quote:

Originally Posted by megarat View Post

A curious effect I noticed:  when playing an LD and pressing stop, if I were getting a true uninterrupted composite signal, upon stopping the LD I would get a black screen with the LD player's OSD message of "STOP" in the upper corner.  Instead, the receiver would show a freeze-frame of the last image it received, which clearly it interpolated itself.

I actually had a freeze-frame of the words 'LASERDISC STOP' permanently displayed, about the only time the OSD appeared in the correct place. Even then, the blue background didn't look right.

What I find astonishing is that the product has been widely available since last summer, and these problems have only just come to light. None of the reviewers picked up on it either, no doubt because they don't test with composite video anymore. It's a basic feature of the AVR which simply doesn't work.

post #414 of 417 Old 06-09-2014, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have an analog input question.
In my setup I have 3 analog pieces, these being a turntable (with outboard phono-preamp), a Squeezebox, and a CD player.
Since the SC-65 only has one real analog audio input, can I just use one of video inputs for the other two devices?
Is there any difference in the audio L/R in the CD Input and the video L/R analog inputs?
post #415 of 417 Old 06-21-2014, 09:09 PM

Liked: 0
Zone 2 Inputs

I get the full ensemble of inputs on my main zone. On zone 2 I get limited number of inputs.

I have an apple tv that I used to stream music that I want to get to my outside zone2, why doesn't that input show up? It is there in the main zone. I don't seem to get any of the HDMI inputs in zone 2.

In a separate but related item, what do I need to do to get my SC-65 to show up as an airplay option?
post #416 of 417 Old 07-05-2014, 06:38 PM

Changed routers (from link says to bell hub 2000) and the receiver no longer able to connect to network.

Previously when the system was turned on a "please wait" message appeared as it was attempting to connect to the network. Now, I do not get this message when the system is turned on....is there a setting I have changed by mistake?

Thanks
post #417 of 417 Old 07-06-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post
^^
for both of you blinking MCACC light guys -
this is from the service manual for the SC-57 (same amp design). the Advanced MCACC light blinking can mean it

detected DC current in the amp output or detected some other abnormality from the amp section

you can try the amp protection reset:

During Standby mode, simultaneously press and hold the "TUNE" and "MULTI-ZONE ON/OFF" keys
for 5 seconds.

again, tQhis is for the SC-50 series but yours is the same chip amp and amp design. so it's worth a try & may save you a trip to a repair shop. if Pioneer changed the button presses for your models, unfortunately I do not have a later service manual to refer to.

BTW - as far as online purchases of Elite AVR's, this has ALWAYS been Pioneer's policy. You get an offiical warranty only from an authorized dealer. Authorized B&M dealers are supposed to have territorial restrictions, around 200 or 250 mile radius, but a particular dealer MAY choose to "bend" the rules and take a phone call sale but only those internet dealers shown on Pioneer's web site are considered authorized (like BB-Magnolia). All the rest, even ones on Amazon, are not considered authorized. Most probably do offer a warranty thru Squaretrade or something similar but that warranty is extra money and with the dealer not Pioneer. IF you get around the internet & the forums, you'll discover there are a few authorized dealers friendly to phone sales & with those a warranty should be good. Amazon per se, IIRC, is NOT an authorized dealer for Pioneer Elite. Be mad if you will, but that's the way it is. Many knowledgeable AVS members could have told you that in advance if you had asked in a thread about it. Don't get mad at Pioneer, that is their policy. There are some companies, like Anthem I believe, that don't honor transferred ownership, which I think is pretty harsh.
I had the same problem when setting up the SC65. I had cut my speaker wire too long and they where touching. The reciever would start and then start blinking. I fixed the wires and it has worked great for over a year. Really love it.

Sc65
Bdp62fd
LG 42" led
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Elite Sc 65 9 2 Channel Thx Select 2 Plus A V Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page