post #91 of 424 Old 04-02-2013, 04:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjen View Post

Definately something up with my signal. I again had a situation where I lost HDMI video. I could still hear sound through the speakers, but it said no signal detected on the video side. I restarted the receiver then I got a signal. I have a brand new redmere cable from monoprice that I installed today, hope thats not the issue. I also have yet to update the pioneers firmware, might try that tomorrow. I also ordered new HDMI cables for my sources.

I have to say the sound from this is amazing. I had a pioner 1018AH and this blows it away. One thing I did not like however was when I ran auto setup it set all my fronts to large so I was getting like no base, I thought the SW was broken. I changed back to small and all is well again. Is there a way to run that but force small for speakers?

Sounds like you got something screwy going on. Firmware shouldn't have any affect. Try the new cables. If that doesn't work, I'd suggest possibly getting a new unit.

Full Auto MCACC always sets the speakers to large. If you want to run MCACC and keep your speaker settings, do an Auto MCACC and tell it to save speaker settings. I forget the exact terminology, but if you search the Official MCACC thread you'll find it.

Edit - I see someone already posted the steps for running MCACC and keeping your speaker settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 424 Old 04-02-2013, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjen View Post

Definately something up with my signal. I again had a situation where I lost HDMI video. I could still hear sound through the speakers, but it said no signal detected on the video side. I restarted the receiver then I got a signal. I have a brand new redmere cable from monoprice that I installed today, hope thats not the issue. I also have yet to update the pioneers firmware, might try that tomorrow. I also ordered new HDMI cables for my sources.

I encountered that once. It is a HDMI handshake issue. In my case, I was listen to radio then switched DLNA stream from PC while TV is off. Then I turned on TV and other boxes. This is where I got no video but have audio. So, make sure you properly power on the devices in the chain is still the best bet (TV->AVR->player).

New firmware also mentioned something about improve HDMI compatibility and stability. So, you definitely want to update the firmware first.
post #93 of 424 Old 04-02-2013, 04:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

New firmware also mentioned something about improve HDMI compatibility and stability. So, you definitely want to update the firmware first.

I stand corrected. Didn't realize this, as it is mentioned in a slightly older firmware revision.
post #94 of 424 Old 04-02-2013, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharel View Post

I stand corrected. Didn't realize this, as it is mentioned in a slightly older firmware revision.

You are correct on that but there is no guarantee the receiver we bought from stores come with that firmware version at all. It is fairly old firmware on mine but I don't remember which one. I had it updated from internet once. Then I have to use the USB stick to update to the latest (that's the only way to get latest version).
post #95 of 424 Old 04-02-2013, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

^^^
Correct. Forgive me if it seemed as if I implied that latest firmware would be on the unit right out of the box. I grabbed the latest and installed via usb stick, so I didn't read what previous revisions fixed.

One other note for marjen, you mention that you have a redmere cable. By no way do I mean for this to sound insulting, but make sure you have it connected properly as it is directional.
post #96 of 424 Old 04-02-2013, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Finally got the SC-65 set up and running. Spent more time running an ethernet cable to the area through basement and getting the Harmony one to switch to the proper inputs then making connections and running MCCAC. Now I can spend some time listening and enjoying to see what fine tuning I may want to do. I gotta say so far I am thrilled with the receiver, not only the sound, but I swear video just seems much crisper/cleaner then before and I thought the DirecTv picture quality was darn good before.

Only "problems" at this point are the ipad app keeps giving me an error message (error code B57113) and recognizes the equipment (receiver and bluray player) but won't let me control them. Since the ipad connect cord won't fit the ipad4, not sure if it won't work with one yet or there is something else to look into. Also hooked up an old VCR (wife request) that has a video problem. Hooked it up per the set-up navi (dvd red/white/yellow in), but picture scrolls horizontally kinda like the "old days" of tv. Will have to play with it a bit after enjoying the receiver for a while.

Any suggestions on the ipad app or VCR appreciated.

Edit: Stumbled across the answer on the ipad4 question. Used the iControlAV2012 instead of iControlAV2 instructions called for. Surprisingly, there was an iControlAV2013, but that one would not work either. Now, back to enjoying the receiver,
post #97 of 424 Old 04-04-2013, 12:06 PM

Hi- I have been running my SC-65 for a month or so now. I have a 2.1 setup using Polk TSI 400s and a SW, Panasonic ST50, BDP and Roku hooked up. So far, I love this receiver but every few days, my remote stops working. Literally, no buttons I tried will work but the battery is fine and button light fires up when any button is pressed.

I connected via a LAN and I have the latest firmware. To temporarily resolve the issue, I hold down the remote setup button and press 0 to reset it. Then a few days later it does the same thing.

Has anyone had such an issue before? I'll admit that it *might* not be an electronics issue as I do have a 1 and a half year old that is a bit remote happy. tongue.gif I haven't fully ruled that out yet but it has occurred ~5 times now so I am thinking there is another problem.

Any thoughts would be appreciated
post #98 of 424 Old 04-04-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Which buttons don't work? A lot of the buttons on the remote are context sensitive and multi-function including the D-pad. So, if you are in regular HDMI or other video input mode on the receiver but the remote was in ipod or Network streaming mode (via respective input button), the d-pad and other buttons will not work. The best way is to always use receiver button to reset it back to default context. But if you are in iPod/USB mode, you need to press iPod/USB button first. If you are in network streaming (Internet radio, Pandora etc), you need to press NET button first.
jacomus likes this.
post #99 of 424 Old 04-06-2013, 11:18 PM

Liked: 15
Press [RECEIVER] on the remote. Then try these non-working function buttons. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Let us know how it goes.
post #100 of 424 Old 04-07-2013, 04:02 AM

Hi all,

I completed setup the receiver with an Netgear WNCE2001 adapter.
Selected NET on the remote but no matter what selection, it showed "server error". The adapter has an IP assigned with my network.
I have updated the firmware on the Pio already.

Is there another step to do such as updating the HTC/Pandora firmware to make it work?
Thanks.
post #101 of 424 Old 04-07-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treyrhodes View Post

Press [RECEIVER] on the remote. Then try these non-working function buttons. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks. it's all buttons, including the volume. I'll try this and let you know.
post #102 of 424 Old 04-08-2013, 02:56 PM

Hi all, 1st time site user so if I error in my post, please hit me up. I purchased the SC65 this weekend from a well known retail store. I think it's a great unit based on what I have heard from it, and my head still spins from the number of features it possess. After a few trial and error, I finally determined that my speakers are set up in a 5:1 configuration. I have (2) advent marbl II indoor/outdoor bookshelf speakers + 1 Criterion speaker, that my wife had purchased before we met. She worked in an electronics store and she bought the Criterion speakers with a Lafayette amplifier which I am replacing with the SC65 . Front Left (FL) up high is (1) advent speaker and on the ground is the Criterion, both speakers wired in series. I get a nice bass effect from the Criterion. On the Front Right (FR) up high is the other (1) advent. In the rear I have a similar speaker setup arrangement as in the front, so rear left (RL) ( 1 advent + 1 Criterion) and rear right (RR) (1 advent). Against best practices, I have a KLH sub woofer (KLH ASW8-120B) on the floor, since most sub woofers are in front. I leveraged this sub woofer from the Kenwood Home Theater system in the bedroom. This is more of a party room, where the system is in. I have a large family and when they come over we (wife and I) would throw a party...sometimes 30 people are in the room dancing. I have other accessories such as a "4 channel radio shack mixer" which I connect my CD player, a Kenwood multi cd player, model DPM 1074. I have some other gear, though not connected.

Use Case A: With the system turned on, SC 65 on, CD on, Mixer on but NOT using the mixer's amplifier, all speakers on, the FL and FR advent speakers are severely distorted...it almost sounds as if the speakers have reached their limit. As the sound is increased using the SC65 to about -15 db, the distortion seems to disappear or there is enough noise in the room that muffles the "distortion". In the other server configs that I tried, this distortion was not present. On the rear of the unit, I wired it as A: FL,FR + Surround Back L/R + Sub woofer 1

Use Case B: SC 65 tuner is on, and I am not going through the mixer, and CD player is off, at the low sounds, just listening to the radio there is no distortion.

Finally, when I had the speakers configured in the other ways, although the distortion maybe present, I did not hear it.

Any thoughts, advise ?
post #103 of 424 Old 04-09-2013, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Why do you use a mixer gadget instead of connecting all sources to the Pioneer?
post #104 of 424 Old 04-10-2013, 10:13 PM

Just legacy HW that I have that I didn't want to get rid of. I may have to do that though...& Thanks to Joel from PC Richards in NJ for pointing me to this group...Great technical resource and who sole me my SC 65.
post #105 of 424 Old 04-15-2013, 07:55 AM

I am thinking hard about purchasing this Pioneer model, I noticed many stated posts back that they got lucky with a Best Buy sale on the model for around $999.99, anyone in the know regarding another upcoming sale on the model? I'd feel more safe buying it in store and paying for the replacement warranty plan on an expensive piece of equiptment more than buying it online thru another retailer.

I also understand you can buy the similer Costco model minus the Elite moniker, however I have to have the ELITE on the item;)

UPDATE: I stopped by Best Buy magnolia center yesterday and they are ordering me in my SC-65. Now I need to think about what speakers to get as my next purchase. lol Tehy did price match Amazon's pricing for me which helped out a lot. Even though I am sure it will go on sale again soon.

Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60
Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103
LG BD550 Region Free
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
post #106 of 424 Old 04-16-2013, 08:03 AM

Liked: 12
Does anyone have any issues with the MHL Connection and using an Android device?

My screen is double imaged and splits in the middle. It's a very odd issue. Everything else functions great and audio over MHL works just fine.

Also, any recommendations for a streaming app from a laptop via DLNA? I use Spotify instead of Sirius or Pandora.

Check out my room build - DIY Subs, Speakers, Projection Screen
JVC RS46
Pioneer SC-65
SEOS Fusion 10 Pure LCR, Fusion 8 Surrounds
2x DIY 15" Ultimax in Sealed Enclosures powered by iNuke NU6000DSP Amp
post #107 of 424 Old 04-17-2013, 02:26 PM

Liked: 11
I have a SC-25 right now and I'm looking to upgrade to the 65 basically for the 3D pass through and to get ready for 4K. I have a quick question tho. On all the Pioneer receivers I have owned in the past, it wasn't possible to listen to an audio source while watching a video source ie listening to a CD while you play a game or while you watch TV. Is it still not possible to do this? On every other receiver brand I have ever used this was possible, but not on my Pioneers. I know you can use Zone 2 for this, but it's a serious PITA programming my harmony remote for that. It's also pretty inconvenient to have to run extra analog cables from all of my audio sources. Anyway, I'm getting the 65 for sure in a few weeks when I have some free time to connect it. I'm just preparing myself for what I'm gonna have to do when I get ready to connect this bad boy.
post #108 of 424 Old 04-17-2013, 08:20 PM

Hmm, I'm wondering if the fact that this thread only has a little over a hundred posts is a good thing or a bad thing........... I'm hoping that everyone is just enjoying the receiver so much that they don't have time to talk about it lol.
post #109 of 424 Old 04-18-2013, 05:53 AM

I'm just hoping no one else needed a new Pioneer receiver and maybe that is why there are so few posts. I can't imagine it not being a quality product.

About the listening to audio while playing games etc... not sure yet. Mine is still being ordered in for me should be here soon, however I'm still deciding on speakers for it. I think I may got with Martin Logan Motion 20 for the 2 front tower speakers and maybe just the Motion 12 for the back left / right. I hate to spend way too much on back speakers when usually they aren't in as much usage. IMO however I don't think the Motion 12s would be anything bad to own either. Plus I hate to spend a ton of money. Saving for this like crazy lol. :-)

One question I have for those who may own this model or another Elite with THX, Do you use the THX? I know over the years I've heard pros/cons for THX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine Davis View Post

Hmm, I'm wondering if the fact that this thread only has a little over a hundred posts is a good thing or a bad thing........... I'm hoping that everyone is just enjoying the receiver so much that they don't have time to talk about it lol.

Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60
Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103
LG BD550 Region Free
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
post #110 of 424 Old 04-18-2013, 11:11 AM

I own my SC-65 for a few weeks now, and haven't figured out how to play music while having the tv on. I run hdmi from cable box to the SC-65 and then hdmi out to tv, so when I'm watching tv and then switch source to music, it shuts off the tv. I haven't tried this yet, but I think I would need to also run component video cables from cable box to tv and then use that input on the tv to keep the picture on while I'm listening to music. Would love to know if there is another option as sometimes I like watching sports on tv while music is also playing.

As for THX, I haven't found it to be the best sound/surround option for music or video. Personally I like 2 channel stereo or extended stereo for music listening and Optimum Surround for watching tv programs.
post #111 of 424 Old 04-18-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondmjs View Post

I own my SC-65 for a few weeks now, and haven't figured out how to play music while having the tv on. I run hdmi from cable box to the SC-65 and then hdmi out to tv, so when I'm watching tv and then switch source to music, it shuts off the tv. I haven't tried this yet, but I think I would need to also run component video cables from cable box to tv and then use that input on the tv to keep the picture on while I'm listening to music. Would love to know if there is another option as sometimes I like watching sports on tv while music is also playing.

As for THX, I haven't found it to be the best sound/surround option for music or video. Personally I like 2 channel stereo or extended stereo for music listening and Optimum Surround for watching tv programs.

Sounds like the 65 is still set up like my 25. I use zone 2 when I wanna watch tv and hear music. I have to run analog cables for my digital sources but it works.
post #112 of 424 Old 04-19-2013, 10:57 AM

Update on my VCR problem:

Unable to correct my problem with adjustments to settings, I bypassed the SC-65 and connected it directly to the tv. After eating 2 tapes, removing the VCR from my setup eliminated the problem! I hate to lose all the video tapes of the kids growing up (many of which are already transferred to dvd thank goodness) but not sure if getting another vcr is worthwhile. Man, some of those tapes are over 30 years old and the picture degradation is pretty bad.

Also had trouble getting my harmony one to go to the correct input for the Wii which is hooked up by component. Adding a start-up command of "input next" at start-up and "input previous" at exit seems to have fixed the problem. Would be interested if anybody else found a way to have it recognize the component input.

As far as the lack of activity in this thread, it seems many are getting the (I think it is the) 1522 at Cosco. Word is it is the exact same receiver just without the Elite name and 1 year less warranty. I have been keeping up in that thread but wish too that there was more information here.
post #113 of 424 Old 04-19-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

There is no discrete IR commands for component input per Pioneer's published IR commands file.

Just FYI, Costco has life time return policy which applies to SC-1522.
post #114 of 424 Old 04-20-2013, 07:37 AM

I have 2 Bose outdoor speakers wired into my Front Wide (Zone 3) ports with 16 awg wire, however I cannot hear anything from them. I've tried "turning on" Zone 3 but this didn't solve my problem. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
post #115 of 424 Old 04-20-2013, 12:04 PM

Can someone help me with my setup?

I have a MacPro and am using 3 speakers. I have two fronts and a center channel.

I loaded the CD Rom, the software is on my desktop but AVNavigator won't launch.

I've made all my HDMI connections and have video but can't get any sound (didn't run setup.)

All help and comments are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
post #116 of 424 Old 04-20-2013, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

You don't need to use AVNavigator to set it up. You can set it up directly on the receiver. Make sure you didn't set HDMI audio out to pass through ( which will send audio to your TV). It should be AMP (default setting) that will send audio to your speakers and nothing to TV. Hook up the speakers and run MCACC auto calibration.
post #117 of 424 Old 04-20-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK2323 View Post

I have 2 Bose outdoor speakers wired into my Front Wide (Zone 3) ports with 16 awg wire, however I cannot hear anything from them. I've tried "turning on" Zone 3 but this didn't solve my problem. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

what do you mean "turn on" zone 3? what speaker configuration are you using? B) 7.2 + speaker B, D) 7.2 + Zone 2, E) 7.2 FW/FH + Zone 2, F) 5.2 Biamp + Zone 2 or G) 5.2 + Zone 2/3 ??

multizone configurations are not the same as connecting a 2nd set of speakers as B speakers (config B and using the SPEAKER button on the remote to select the B speakers).

if you connected the Bose to FW (also used as B terminals), you should follow the directions on pg 36, and you can use config B to use as a 2nd B set of speakers (listen to same source as main room only) or config G (if you want the ability to listen to other sources independent of what's playing in main room). you can't use the normal default 9.2 config and use B speakers or zones 2/3 so you can't have wides/heights in main room & also have a zone 2/3.

and you realize the only types of connections & sources that can be switched to zone 2/3 are analog? if you are only using HDMI, then you will never get those signals passed to zone 2/3. that also could be your problem.

NO receiver from any company cross-converts digital & HDMI signals for main room & multizones. and this is clearly spelled out in the manual on pg 35 as well as inputs that can be used for multizones. if you are trying to listen to an HDMI source, you'll also have to connect l/r analog cables. it should work if you activated zone 3 on the remote or front panel buttons but if you still don't get audio, try the SIGNAL SEL button on the remote to change the audio input signal from Auto to Analog for your zone 3.

Steve
post #118 of 424 Old 04-20-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvd3399 View Post

Can someone help me with my setup? I have a MacPro and am using 3 speakers...I loaded the CD Rom, the software is on my desktop but AVNavigator won't launch.

well, it's supposed to work only with Win XP, Vista, and W7. this is in the manual, if you downloaded it from Pioneer's website, page 10. and I also think it needs Adobe Flash. I'm not a Mac person, but isn't Flash supposed to be unsupported by Apple OS for security reasons?

if you hadn't downloaded it ahead of time, it's not your fault for not knowing since the only manual is on the disc eek.gifwink.gif

Pioneer *may* look into a Mac version of the disc in the future.

but Foxbat is right, you don't need it. go to Pioneer's web site and download the pdf manual for your model. it's the same but the links in the disc and EZ setup stuff for newcomers won't be there, just the manual. I've reviewed the disc, it's nice for beginners but you shouldn't need it if you do some reading, look at the rear panel diagram, follow directions for getting started with a basic setup & initial MCACC calibration. on doing MCACC, put the mic on a tripod or mic boom at your listening seat, preferably, or on the seat back or stack of books in the seat, but NOT in the seat. point the mic straight up to ceiling, don't tilt it forward or back, step back out of the way, make sure the mic has a clear line of sight to each speaker and go smile.gif

connect the receiver to your TV with HDMI out (or component video if no HDMI) and you can see the whole setup menus on the screen rather than the one line, line by line display on the receiver. makes it a whole lot easier to navigate the menus smile.gif

Steve
post #119 of 424 Old 04-20-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDVD78 View Post

UPDATE: I stopped by Best Buy magnolia center yesterday and they are ordering me in my SC-65. Now I need to think about what speakers to get as my next purchase. lol Tehy did price match Amazon's pricing for me which helped out a lot. Even though I am sure it will go on sale again soon.

Consider yourself lucky. After I saw your post, I called all the Best Buys in my area ( 9 of them) and neither of them would price match Amazon because it was a 3rd party seller. I guess I'll have to wait til the next big sale. frown.gif
post #120 of 424 Old 04-20-2013, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 45
With all the mixed reviews on this thread. I am staring to think this may not be the most reliable reciever? for the $600 price tag its an awesome deal, but not if it wont last as long as a Denon or Marantz.

Can you use the B speakers to power zones 2 and 3. Ideally playing airplay music in three rooms, same signal at the same time?

Yamaha calls this feature party mode.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Elite Sc 65 9 2 Channel Thx Select 2 Plus A V Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page