Buying a Denon 2113CI - Refurb or New? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-29-2012, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys, been a lurker here for a while and finally setting up my own system in my new apartment. Looking at getting an AVR-2113CI, but I can't decide where to get it.

At accessories4less, I could get a refurb for $449, but only 1 year warranty. I'll be buying with an AMEX so the warranty will be bumped up to two years. Main hesitation with buying from here is that this exact receiver was $400 in October. I emailed their sales contact and they said they don't plan on offering it at this price any time soon.

At J&R it goes for $599 new, and this is a bit out of my budget. I'm looking to spend $500 max, but it would be nice to have a non-refurbished receiver. Is there a special price or a way to get it down a little bit?

Basically, is it worth ~$150 more to get a new device or should I just take the risk and get the refurbished model? Anyone who's bought Denon receivers like this one online if you could chime in with your experience and where you got it from that would be really helpful. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I buy refurbished electronics products all the time. It isn't like buying refurbished underwear. You can get an extended warranty but I don't know if your Amex card will double that.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Old 12-29-2012, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
A few months ago I picked up a refurb 1712 from AC4LS for $250. It was indistinguishable from new in appearance and packaging, and everything worked fine. Any issues specific to being a refurb will happen within the first year, so the main difference is the length of the warranty. You can also get a better price on new (most likely) if you pick up the phone and call Electronics Expo, rather than just looking at the website.

LCR: Hsu HB-1 MK2, HC-1 MK2 ........ Subwoofers: Rhythmik D15SE, Hsu VTF-2 MK4
Receiver: Denon 2310CI .................. Networking: ATV3, WDTV Live
Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP-80 .................... TV: Panasonic TC-50PU54
Old 12-29-2012, 12:32 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 1749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

You can get an extended warranty but I don't know if your Amex card will double that.

Amex will add an additional (2nd) year warranty ... some MC/Visa cards will as well. smile.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 12-29-2012, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by highmr View Post

A few months ago I picked up a refurb 1712 from AC4LS for $250. It was indistinguishable from new in appearance and packaging, and everything worked fine. Any issues specific to being a refurb will happen within the first year, so the main difference is the length of the warranty. You can also get a better price on new (most likely) if you pick up the phone and call Electronics Expo, rather than just looking at the website.

Glad to hear your refurb experience went well. If I do get the refurb I'd definitely run it through its paces to make sure it's good, maybe a few day burn in test.

I called JR to get the $599 price, I'll try EE later to see if they could beat it. I just have a hard time forking over $150 more for the new model, when its likely that the refurb would be just fine.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll report back any findings on a cheaper new price or if I go with A4L!
Old 12-29-2012, 01:36 PM

I got a refurb from them last month and I have no issues at all. The extra savings has aloud me to run a a dual sub setup. Call me tickled pink!!!
Old 12-30-2012, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quick update: Paul's TV was able to get me the new 2113CI for $519 shipped with no tax to CA, where the refurb was going to be ~$470 shipped from A4L. For me this was a good enough difference to go ahead and get it from Paul's! Best of all it will be here this week! Can't wait to get set up. Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:18 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 1749
Great! Be sure to review posts #3-6 in the Denon AVR-XX13 Owner's thread linked in my sig for more helpful information and then post in that thread if you have any setup/troubleshooting questions.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 01-01-2013, 12:31 PM

I'm glad you were eyeballing this too! I want the same receiever and Accessories4less looks like the best price. I got an Onkyo from them about four years ago. First one did have some HDMI issues. Besides the shipment fee they were easy to work with and sent out a replacement. I'm still using it fine, and most things seems to work, but recently I think the HDMI card is going out again. I wanted to see what other's experiences were with Denon Factory Refurbs too, I wager that the issues I had were Onkyo's deal.... Let me know. I might pull a trigger on the same receiver today smile.gif
Old 01-01-2013, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Refurb is the way to go in most cases I think. A unit that gets shipped back gets tested completely, where on the assembly line maybe 1/100 gets pulled for QC.

It's these cans! He hates these cans!
Old 01-02-2013, 05:51 PM

Bam!!! just bought it. Wish me luck. Gostillerz, that's a good point. I was thinking as long as the refurb process isn't half a$$'t that, all things equal: waiting for randomly bought new units to fail and purchasing them as refurbs ought to cut down your probability of having a failing unit on your single purchase. Again only if a refurb is actually fixed, rather then bondo'd like an early model Nissan with a spoiler and spinners.

Tags
Denon Avr 2113ci Receiver