Need help with streaming audio over WiFi - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-29-2012, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone, this is my first post and this seemed like a good place to try to find a solution to my problem. I apologize if this is in the wrong section, so moderators please feel free to move if necessary.

I am looking to setup a multizone receiver to have surround sound while watching movies, but be able to play audio through the house during dinner parties and such (not necessarily both at the same time). This part is easy enough. However, the house I am in came with big green speakers in the yard, with audio cables run to the garage (about 25 yards from the back of the house, and another 17 or so yards from the wireless router provided by Verizon).

What I would like to accomplish is to be able to turn on my zones in the house so the home speakers are playing whatever comes off the computer (easy enough) but also stream that same signal over wifi to an amp in the garage connected to the backyard speakers. Basically what I am looking for is some kind of audio receiver that will pick up audio signal over WiFi.

I've been trying to find solutions for this and have looked at Apple Airport Express and a logitech option (but it was bluetooth only). Are there any options out there to accomplish this goal that isn't prohibitively expensive? Thank you in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-30-2012, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
*bump*

anyone?
post #3 of 3 Old 12-31-2012, 01:36 PM

Liked: 19
I read this yesterday and have been thinking about it. Let me give this a try.

You will need 2 PC's. They can be OLD. Like, P2 type PC's. They can be laptops even. Doesnt really matter. The first PC will sit in your entertainment center, and you'll run a line from your headphone jack on your receiver to a line input on the first PC. That PC must be wifi capable (a card, for example). Make that PC a streaming server. Wifi that stream to the second PC sitting somewhere where you can connect to a hub connecting your back yard speakers. These would be dedicated PC's and if you dont have cheap PC's laying around you could probably get what you need cheaply (total set up like under $500.).

The other, possibly cleaner way, is get a couple of THESE connecting to your receiver, the other one connecting to the back yard speakers. You could probably use ANY old receiver (or buy one at a pawn shop) as it only job is to pass the audio from the input of the wifi box out to the speakers.

I'll keep looking around as this sort of interests me smile.gif

edit: you would need a wireless router for the wifi connection, and something like THIS on each PC if you went that route.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page