Component to HDMI switching - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 12-30-2012, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have an ONKYO HT-RC460 with both HDMI devices and a component device connected. Rcvr linked to TV via HDMI

When I switch to the component device assigned to first input. get sound but no video on TV.

Somewhat new to HDMI swicthing recvrs, so not sure if this is problem with my particular unit, a problem with the model, or is it that no receivers convert RGB to HDMI

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-30-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Hi Mark, welcome to AVS. Your receiver using component video are only upconverted for HDMI out when using signals with a resolution of 480i. So try change the component source resolution to 480i.
post #3 of 20 Old 12-30-2012, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks J.

The source is a DVD player, so I think the native stream is 480p. Am I correct that switching to 480i might cause some loss in quality?
post #4 of 20 Old 12-30-2012, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 81
There'd be some loss of quality, but the simple solution is to get a new player with an HDMI out. An upconverting DVD player costs less than $50 and an entry level Blu-Ray player not much more.
post #5 of 20 Old 12-30-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 134
^^^ +1
post #6 of 20 Old 12-30-2012, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Understand the get new player suggests. Unfortunately this guy is a Toshiba RD-XS35 -- So besides playing DVD, it has a HDD. Nice device for coveting tapes via an old S-VHS and turning them into MP4's for my Android.
post #7 of 20 Old 12-30-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

(double post)
post #8 of 20 Old 12-30-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

You don't have to throw away the old player. You can still use it for making MP4s.

Another almost as easy solution to either hook up the component video out of your RD-XS35 directly to your TV, or run a second component cable from your receiver to your TV. That way you can leave it set to 480p. You'll need to switch to the component input of your TV whenever you want to use the RD-XS35.
post #9 of 20 Old 01-08-2013, 08:11 PM

Just saw this thread. Why is it that the receiver will convert 480i but not 480p? I have a Wii that I still use, so now I have to decide whether to run component cables to the TV and change the TV input every time I want to use it, or ditch the component cables and go back to the composite cables which will make the picture worse.
post #10 of 20 Old 01-08-2013, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

I did switch to 480i and it did work. But like you iodeac, in this day an age of everything converting to everything I find it surprising. Also, if JChin is still in loop, was your advice based on the ref model, or is it that no switching amp/receivers convert 480p RGB to HDMI
post #11 of 20 Old 01-08-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Harris View Post

I did switch to 480i and it did work. But like you iodeac, in this day an age of everything converting to everything I find it surprising. Also, if JChin is still in loop, was your advice based on the ref model, or is it that no switching amp/receivers convert 480p RGB to HDMI

Did you switch out your component cable for a composite cable, or did you just change the output within the device? I wonder if there is a setting within the Wii that would allow me to change it back to 480i, even if I'm using component cables, or if I have to exchange cables just to get back to 480i
post #12 of 20 Old 01-08-2013, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Why? Because they chose to use a video decoder chip that only supported 480i. Probably only saved them about $1, but that's how it goes.

You can turn off progressive scan in your Wii settings and still use component cables. That'll give you 480i over component which is still a huge step up from using composite cables.

Alternatively, you can get a Wii2HDMI.
post #13 of 20 Old 01-09-2013, 01:00 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked: 1597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Harris View Post

Your HT-RC460 (as noted below).

The 717 and higher models can convert all resolutions to 1080p HDMI.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #14 of 20 Old 01-09-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Your HT-RC460 (as noted below).

The 717 and higher models can convert all resolutions to 1080p HDMI.

Thanks so much for the help. I changed the Wii resolution to 480i, still using the component cables, and to be honest I really can't tell the difference. I guess either the receiver or the TV is upconverting the signal anyway because it looks exactly the same. I love being able to pass the 480i signal thru the HDMI cable and not have to switch the TV input.
post #15 of 20 Old 01-09-2013, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iodeac View Post

Thanks so much for the help. I changed the Wii resolution to 480i, still using the component cables, and to be honest I really can't tell the difference. I guess either the receiver or the TV is upconverting the signal anyway because it looks exactly the same. I love being able to pass the 480i signal thru the HDMI cable and not have to switch the TV input.

The above chart for the HT-RC460 reminds me of something else I don't understand. The unit has one component input and one output. Per the similar to the above chart in the manual, the only port that Component[IN] can be switched to is component[OUT] The composite and none of the HDMI can be switched to Component[OUT]. What is the point of component IN/OUT if no other port can be switched to it. To me it's just a fixed pass thru.
post #16 of 20 Old 01-11-2013, 06:28 AM

I'm posting this reply because the Onkyo forums and other places aren't any help, but I could use some help upgrading the firmware for the HT-RC460. The first 2 updates can be done by ethernet, but the last update requires USB. Mark, did you update your firmware to the current version (1141-0108-0400). I downloaded the files from Onkyo's website and it's a little confusing how they are setup. There are 3 files, and then another zipped folder with 4 more files. I'm not sure which ones I need. Also, the biggest USB drive is have is 4 GB, so hopefully I don't need to go out and buy another one.

Also, I won't be able to have an ethernet connection to my receiver full-time since my router is upstairs. To install the first 2 updates I actually had to move my router and cable modem downstairs! Anyway, I was wondering if using the Wireless USB adapter on the receiver would provide the same access and functionality compared to wiring it with an ethernet cable.

Thanks!
post #17 of 20 Old 01-12-2013, 07:12 AM

^^^ To update the HT-RC460, download the firmware update (~70mb), and unzip it to a usb drive (update can only be done via usb). Make sure those are the only files on it, so your usb drive should have 3 files, plus a folder with 4 files in that. Then go to firmware update and update over usb (or something like that) should show up.

Note again that it only works if those are the only files on the usb drive.

I'm also having issues trying to get my Xbox to show up. i assigned Game to Component In1 and the audio to optical 1, but all I get is the blue screen.

jdsmoothie, if I'm reading that chart correctly, regardless of the source resolution, component will only do 480i out? 480i just won't cut it for an Xbox. Looks like I'll have to connect it directly to the TV, which I don't really want to do if I don't have to.

Edit: Hey first post after joining 3 years ago, lol
post #18 of 20 Old 01-12-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenz View Post

^^^ To update the HT-RC460, download the firmware update (~70mb), and unzip it to a usb drive (update can only be done via usb). Make sure those are the only files on it, so your usb drive should have 3 files, plus a folder with 4 files in that. Then go to firmware update and update over usb (or something like that) should show up.

Note again that it only works if those are the only files on the usb drive.

I'm also having issues trying to get my Xbox to show up. i assigned Game to Component In1 and the audio to optical 1, but all I get is the blue screen.

Edit: Hey first post after joining 3 years ago, lol

I'm an idiot. I was so hung up yesterday on the total size of the files and not wanting to spend the money to buy a USB drive that could hold 70MB, because in my head I was swiching MB to GB. Once I looked back at the instructions and slapped myself in the forehead, I threw all 7 files onto a USB drive and completely the update just fine.

With regard to your issue, someone on another thread pointed out to me that you can't pass a 480p signal (which is what your component signal is) through the HDMI cable. Our receivers don't have that capability, but the higher end ones do. I had the same issue with my Wii, so I changed the resolution from 480p to 480i and it passed it through the HDMI Cable. If I really wanted to pass a 480p signal, I would have had to connect a component cable from the receiver to the TV and I didn't want to do that.

Let me know if this helps, or I can dig up the other post with the handy chart that explains it better. Why not just hookup the 360 with an HDMI cable?
post #19 of 20 Old 01-12-2013, 08:32 AM

It's an older 360 so it doesn't have an HDMI ouput, otherwise I would. It's 1080i, but I see what you mean. This is actually the thread with the nifty chart smile.gif It's crap that my 3 year old Denon receiver had no problem with this. Looks like I'll have to connect it directly to the TV.
post #20 of 20 Old 01-16-2013, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter

Hello Iodeac

Getting to USB Firmware update 1141-0108-0400 (using Win 8 Pro)

Open ONKAVR000D_00EAEA00EAEAEA_118.zip
{Win 8 auto opens 'Compressed Folder Tools' at top of folder}
Click Extract All
Check-mark 'Show extracted files when complete
Click Extract
{A folder should open showing what looks like the same files}
Copy the 3 files and the folder to the USB (do not open the folder, just copy it )

Follow the standard receiver update Instructions in the manual.
I used a high quality PatriotXt Mem stick. First time I used a cheap old mem stick and it didn't work
Update took ~ 50 minutes

Hope this makes sense

Mark
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page