Onkyo 818 Pre-out Connection Rating - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-30-2012, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have an Onkyo 818 and looking to add an Emotiva XPA-5.

Question is, does the 818 have quality pre-out connections that won't distort at high volume levels?

I thought pre-out connections were essentially all equal, but ran into the following article that said:
Quote:
After confirming this twice via my measurements, I pinged Emotiva technical support and they informed me this was purposely done for end users using a budget receiver many of which tend to clip above 1Vrms output. I can certainly appreciate this as I have found this to be the case with many receivers even in the $1k price range. The XPA-2 reached its full power with only 1.2Vrms.
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/amplifiers/emotiva-xpa-2/xpa-2-measurements

According to Onkyo's specs, the rated RCA output level is 200 mV/470 Ω (PRE OUT) and maximum output of 4.6 V/470 Ω (PRE OUT). The higher up model (Onkyo 1010) is rated for 1V, which seems like a major difference.

Will adding the XPA-5 actually make my setup worse because of this? I have Def Tech bp8060st / cs8060hd / sr8040bp (all rated at 92db sensitivity) in a ~2,000 cu. ft. room. I like to listen to movie/music up to -10db (after Audyssey calibration).

Also note that I bought this 818 last week (@ $647) and can return if you recommend another pre-amp unit. Though others I have seen so far with higher output rating is much more expensive.

Thanks in advance for all the advice,
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-08-2013, 02:28 AM

Liked: 10
Bump. I would really like to know the answer to this as well.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-18-2013, 04:00 AM

Liked: 24
Would like to know this as well. I now have an Onkyo 818, an XSP-1 and an XPA-3. Sound from the Onkyo is just "ok"... In wonder if the 1010 would have given me better results. If so I might sell the 818 and get a 1010.

Thanks.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-18-2013, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 322
If you're interested, I've been quizzing Roger Dressler and others about AVR pre out levels in another thread. Starting from here.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-18-2013, 08:56 AM

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by odedia View Post

Would like to know this as well. I now have an Onkyo 818, an XSP-1 and an XPA-3. Sound from the Onkyo is just "ok"... In wonder if the 1010 would have given me better results. If so I might sell the 818 and get a 1010.

Thanks.

I think you'd find that the difference between the 818 and 1010 would not be worth it. Could you tell us how your system is connected and what you are comparing the Onkyo to?
post #6 of 7 Old 06-19-2013, 05:12 AM

Liked: 24
System is connected as follows:

Onkyo Preout --> XSP-1 Home Theater Bypass --> XPA-3 --> Goldenear Triton Two towers.

My other comparison is:

Rega RP3 --> XSP-1 Phono Stage --> XPA-3 --> Goldenear Triton Two towers.

And:

Boxee Box preout (with really cheap cables) --> XSP-1 Input 1 --> XPA-3 --> Goldenear Triton Two towers.

Both the turntable and boxee options sound better than the onkyo, in either Stereo mode (room corrected) or Pure Audio/Direct. Quite disappointing actually.

I'll be connecting the speakers directly to the reciever tonight to do some comparison tests.

Oded S.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-19-2013, 08:17 AM

Liked: 42
So with the Onkyo in the chain it brings the sound quality down compared with just the XSP. You might have to spend a lot of money on a dedicated processor from Marantz or Integra to get the kind of improvement you want. Moving one up in the Onkyo line won't do it, unfortunately.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page