Divorced Dad with flexible HT budget......Help spend my money creating a very nice MID RANGE theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-31-2012, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I've spend a good portion of many days reading and reading these forums. I still don't know what to consider! It's been a while since I have thought about a home theater.

So here are my needs:

I am looking for advice on an AV Receiver and DVD player.

My room is 13 1/2' x 19 1/2'
I have four Berkline seats in the IOVOOVOI arrangement
I have three James Loudspeakers for my fronts and two James Loudspeakers for my rears
I have a powered James Sub and an Energy powered sub
My TV is a new Panasonic 60GT50
I have a Logitech Harmony 1100 remote
I watch movies 90% of the time and listen to Pandora the other 10%

So I am looking for a Receiver that will do all my video switching. It needs to connect a Comcast HD box, a DVD player, and traditional Wii for now. It also needs enough power to drive my speakers and since the TV is 3D....it might be nice to work with that. Streaming Pandora somehow is a must - whether through the receiver or DVD player.

I plan to buy the receiver and DVD player at the same time. I am not brand loyal so recommend whatever. I am thinking of the Oppo 103 for my DVD player and for my receiver, I am thinking Marantz 5007.

So within the $800-1000 receiver budget and $500 for DVD budget, what do everyone suggest?

As a result of the divorce, I had to rent a house for now. Ultimately, when I find a home to buy, I will build an actual theater and upgrade. I will sell off whatever gear I need and go with separates. But for now, a receiver will work well for me!

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-31-2012, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I recently bought an Onkyo TX-NR818 for less than your budget and I think it works pretty well. I only use it as a processor, though.

HD-A1 + XBOX Add-On + PS3 = Format Neutral
post #3 of 7 Old 12-31-2012, 02:50 PM

I just decided to go with the exact set-up you are considering (Oppo 103 and Marantz 5007). The Oppo arrived last week - love it and the Marantz should be here by Friday. Everything will be hooked up to my VT50 and Def Tech Mythos speakers.

It will be hard to be beat that combo esp for the money!
post #4 of 7 Old 12-31-2012, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

I'll be interested to hear what you think, cssnms. Where did you buy your gear?
post #5 of 7 Old 12-31-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmosmen View Post

I'll be interested to hear what you think, cssnms. Where did you buy your gear?

I've already used the Oppo running through my old Denon 2807 to a calibrated VT50. I watched Avatar and it was awesome! I am really anxious to get the Marantz hooked up to everything - can't wait.

I purchased the Oppo through Amazon. Ordered and it showed up on my doorstep the next day - love Amazon! I purchased the Marantz from HiDef Lifestyle (an authorized Marantz dealer). http://www.hideflifestyle.com/ Dave was great to work with and extremely responsive and flexible.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-31-2012, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post

I've already used the Oppo running through my old Denon 2807 to a calibrated VT50. I watched Avatar and it was awesome! I am really anxious to get the Marantz hooked up to everything - can't wait.
I purchased the Oppo through Amazon. Ordered and it showed up on my doorstep the next day - love Amazon! I purchased the Marantz from HiDef Lifestyle (an authorized Marantz dealer). http://www.hideflifestyle.com/ Dave was great to work with and extremely responsive and flexible.

Amazon Prime! Got to LOVE it!!!!!!! :-)
post #7 of 7 Old 01-01-2013, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I got the 818 as well on Black Friday for around 700. You got xt32, and you can stream pandora without turning on TV. Onkyo had an app for that. The only thing about onkyo is that it does not support airplay, but it does allow me to play songs on my iPhone no problem.
As far as blu ray player, can't go wrong with oppo. It had 2 output and you can have one go direct to your TV and the other to AVR so you can completely bypass the AVR video processing if you choose to.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page