Puzzling a/v problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 12-31-2012, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, wasn't sure where to post this, anyway, setting up a home theater, with a new Denon AVR1513, everything works, here is the problem, I have the cable box running through the Denon, by doing this 2 channels, (so far), cut out the audio every 10-20 mins, for 2 to 10 seconds, but it does not cut out the pic.........this will not happen if I run the hdmi from the cable box directly to the tv, only when I run a hdmi from the cable box to the Denon then a hdmi to the tv. All cables and connections were checked and rechecked, even by 2 cable techs, signal is strong, bluray works great. Can't be the Denon, because I tried a Harmon Kardon receiver, and had the same problem, even ran a different hdmi from the Denon to the tv, a GE 3d ready 1080p with Ethernet cable. But it can't be the cable because when I run the cable rith from the cable box to the tv, the problem is gone. PUZZELED! HELP!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-31-2012, 04:36 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 1368
Cable/sat boxes often have HDMI handshake issues with AVRs so the best configuration is connecting the box (HDMI) to the TV with the box(optical) to the AVR for surround audio with no difference in audio quality and none of the HDMI handshake headaches. smile.gif

Also note there is a dedicated thread for Denon AVR-XX13 owners linked in my sig for more helpful information.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 15 Old 12-31-2012, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks JD!
My tv only has one hdmi in, what would be the best way to connect the cable box and a blu ray player, (besides getting a newer plasma, lol)??
post #4 of 15 Old 12-31-2012, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 124
I use an HDMI switch to connect a cable box, Roku, AppleTV, and BD player to my set's one HDMI input. Got it from monoprice.com. We run It with a Harmony remote and it works every time.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-01-2013, 01:39 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpl20 View Post

Thanks JD!
My tv only has one hdmi in, what would be the best way to connect the cable box and a blu ray player, (besides getting a newer plasma, lol)??

Connect a component video cable from the cable box to the TV instead with an optical from the cable box to the AVR ... the BDP can still connect via HDMI to the AVR.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #6 of 15 Old 01-01-2013, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks JD, I think I will do that, the only thing is, other than the optical audio out, (that's already in the Denon), there is only one more audio out, a digital audio out that only uses one cable, but the tv uses rca's in, so I think I need a digital to rca converter. I think this would be the only way to get the tv speakers to work when I am not using the Denon..........
post #7 of 15 Old 01-01-2013, 09:06 AM
585-645-1006

Either that or as BIslander suggested, you can use a 2:1 switch connecting the HDMI out from each of the cable box and AVR to the switch and connecting the switch to the TV.

post #8 of 15 Old 01-01-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

What cable box do you have? I don't know that I've seen one that lacks analog stereo outputs. If it has component video jacks it pretty much has to have analog stereo, too, as TVs rarely have optical or digital coax audio inputs.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-01-2013, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

What cable box do you have? I don't know that I've seen one that lacks analog stereo outputs. If it has component video jacks it pretty much has to have analog stereo, too, as TVs rarely have optical or digital coax audio inputs.

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD
post #10 of 15 Old 01-01-2013, 03:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpl20 View Post

Thanks JD, I think I will do that, the only thing is, other than the optical audio out, (that's already in the Denon), there is only one more audio out, a digital audio out that only uses one cable, but the tv uses rca's in, so I think I need a digital to rca converter. I think this would be the only way to get the tv speakers to work when I am not using the Denon..........

Your Scientific Atlanta box has optical, digital coax and two sets of analog audio outputs.

either one of those sets or red/white outputs would work. Use the ones next to the component video output first labeled OUT 1.

Afro GT
post #11 of 15 Old 01-01-2013, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Your Scientific Atlanta box has optical, digital coax and two sets of analog audio outputs.

either one of those sets or red/white outputs would work. Use the ones next to the component video output first labeled OUT 1.

Yup, you guys are right, I hooked it up right to where you have it circled and it works fine, although I did get a pretty good volume drop compared to where it was with the hdmi cable, is that normal? Also, the last thing, when I have my blu ray playing, (Sony bdp bx59), the Denon avr1513 says "Multi Channel Stereo" on the front panel, I know one of the setting on the Sony is set to bitstream.......btw guys, THANK YOU!!!!
post #12 of 15 Old 01-01-2013, 04:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 379
You can probably adjust the volume output on the cable box. Look it up in one of the setup menus.

As far as your Blu Ray player you need to connect it to the receiver via HDMI and have it set to bitstream audio or AUTO in order to get True HD or DTS-MA with movie. You may have to turn secondary audio off if that is an option. I'm not familiar with Sony BD players as I have Panasonic and Pioneer. It might be called BD audo mix on the Sony. Turn it OFF.

On your Denon remote press and hold down the Movie (green) button until you get a list of audio options. Try setting it to Dolby PLII Cinema, not Multi Channel Stereo. When a HD audio signal is recognized it'll automatically switch to TrueHD or DTS-MA.

Afro GT
post #13 of 15 Old 01-01-2013, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

You can probably adjust the volume output on the cable box. Look it up in one of the setup menus.
As far as your Blu Ray player you need to connect it to the receiver via HDMI and have it set to bitstream audio or AUTO in order to get True HD or DTS-MA with movie. You may have to turn secondary audio off if that is an option. I'm not familiar with Sony BD players as I have Panasonic and Pioneer. It might be called BD audo mix on the Sony. Turn it OFF.
On your Denon remote press and hold down the Movie (green) button until you get a list of audio options. Try setting it to Dolby PLII Cinema, not Multi Channel Stereo. When a HD audio signal is recognized it'll automatically switch to TrueHD or DTS-MA.

That did it afrogt, turning the bd audio mix off, although it did seem I got a bit of a volume loss with this as well, it seems that to listen at a decent level I need to have the Denon at 60, as far as the volume level on the cable box, I now have it maxed at 30, just seemed odd that by switching from hdmi to rca I would have such a loss........
post #14 of 15 Old 01-01-2013, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I am confused now. Are you back to running everything through the AVR?
post #15 of 15 Old 01-01-2013, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

I am confused now. Are you back to running everything through the AVR?

Sorry, no, two different things, the blu ray is running through the Denon via hdmi & hdmi to the tv.
The cable box is running to the tv on its own with rca cables. By running the cable box that way it developed a volume loss.
#2 By turning off the bd audio mix off and letting the Denon do the decoding, it seemed to develop a slight volume loss, but that's nothing, all the major issues are fixed and I owe it all to you guys, THANKS!
And the last thing was I was concerned with the Denon having the volume to be at 60 for it to start to come alive.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page