PS3 does not detect 3d display through AVR3600 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-31-2012, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been trying an issue with 3d content not being displayed on my ps3. Configured setup ps3 and other stuff into HK AR 3600, TV is a Samsung UN55EH3060F. I havn't gotten help anywhere else on this one yet, but I think I have it narrowed down to the fact that the PS3 does not seem to detect the TV as a 3d display when running through the AVR 3600. I have tried both with bypass on and off with the same result; signal is lost when displaying 3d content.

Hopefully somebody has a solution. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-31-2012, 04:56 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
Have you installed the 3D firmware upgrade to the 3600? Worst case scenario is you can connect PS3(HDMI) to the TV for video and PS3(optical) to the 3600 for audio with no real lose in audio quality as the higher bitrate lossy DD/DTS tracks on BDs is comparable to the HD audio tracks over HDMI.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 5 Old 12-31-2012, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Yea, the AVR3600 has the correct firmware upgrade. Interestingly enough, and hopefully this might shed light on it more... I used to use the exact same setup with a different Samsung TV. The 3D content on the PS3 would display just fine as long as the AVR was in bypass. However with the Samsung UN55EH3060F having the AVR in bypass results in no display what so ever.
post #4 of 5 Old 12-31-2012, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

I found out, that the PS3 seems to be having issues with properly detecting the Samsung TV when the AVR is in HDMI bypass. It attempted to detect resalutions and only finds the TV able to display 480P. However when bypass is off, the PS3 detects all from 480p-1080p, with of course no 3D capability since the AVR is required to be in HDMI bypass for 3D to work. So something with the AVR Bypass isn't working right? I'm at a loss on this one.
Any help would be apprectiated.

Thanks!
post #5 of 5 Old 01-01-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishen View Post

I found out, that the PS3 seems to be having issues with properly detecting the Samsung TV when the AVR is in HDMI bypass. It attempted to detect resalutions and only finds the TV able to display 480P. However when bypass is off, the PS3 detects all from 480p-1080p, with of course no 3D capability since the AVR is required to be in HDMI bypass for 3D to work. So something with the AVR Bypass isn't working right? I'm at a loss on this one.
Any help would be apprectiated.
Thanks!
I don't have that equipment, but what needs to happen is that the AVR must read the TV's EDID and then it needs to copy those EDID values into its own EDID. The EDID is a few bytes of memory that can be read over a VGA or HDMI cable, and it lists the capabilities of the downstream device. Usually, the EDID lets a Source, such as a PC, cable box, or BD Player, identify the display resolutions of the display. An AVR is supposed to read the EDID of the TV and then copy the list of resolutions into its own EDID, which creates a sort of super-EDID with high res display capabilities combined with HD audio capabilities.

So either the AVR isn't properly reading the TV's EDID or it isn't saving them into its own EDID. Look for any menu settings which would cause the AVR to read display resolutions.

Also, with my PS/3, I have an old HK AVR which can't do 3D, so I run HDMI straight to the TV and use TOSLINK when I want to watch a 3D movie. However, when making this switch, I need to use the PS/3 menu to re-read the display and audio capabilities. Until I do, I can't get 3D.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page