Yamaha HTR5990 internal fan can be heard! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-01-2013, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased a used HTR5990 (same as RXV1600) 120w x 7 AVR and we notice that when the receiver is on, the internal fan has an underlying low-level hiss we can hear and it bothers us.
Our low AV rack has an open architecture, plus we have a large living/dining/kitchen loft-style room with hardwood floors and no drapes, so I'm sure the fan noise is magnified. Though the fan noise is very low, after a while the noise bothers us like water torture, with no relief until we turn the amp off.
Is this common with high powered AVRs that are crammed full and use a fan to cool it? I told my wife we may have to get a low enclosed AV cabinet with glass doors to shield the AVR and she thinks it may not be enough. Is this the nature of an amp like this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-02-2013, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 42
How handy are you with electronics? You might be able to open it and replace the fan with a new, silent one. You might even find when you have it open that the fan is just dirty.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Htr 5990 Xm Ready 7 1 Channel A V Surround Receiver Black , Receivers Amplifiers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page