Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-01-2013, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All!
Was hoping someone could help clear something up for me:

I currently have an LED Samsung TV with the following components hooked up to it:
AppleTV box
XBox 360
Playstation 3
Comcast HD-DVR
Samsung Sound Bar
WiiU

I'm in the market to upgrade to a front projector and a screen, and am currently in the process of deciding between an Epson 5020UB, an Epson 5020UBE and a Sony VPL-HW50ES. Assuming I don't go with the "E" version of the 5020 (which has a wireless HDMI transmitter), I'm looking at 5+ components needing to be hooked up via HDMI and the projectors only have 2 HDMI inputs. I don't want to use a third-party wireless HDMI solution due to fears of video quality, build quality, and the possibility of them adding even more video lag into the equation for gaming. With that all in mind:

Would a receiver with 5+ HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output allow me to plug everything via HDMI into the back of the receiver and then run just one HDMI cable from the receiver's HDMI-out port to the projector and use the receiver to swap video/audio sources?

Also, some of the receivers that I've briefly been looking at feature "A/V Passthrough" capability. Do I need one that indicates that it does this to make everything work correctly? If so, as I would imagine that I would want to do some 3D with the new projector, would I need to get a receiver that supported the HDMI 1.4 standard (some of them are labeled as "3D A/V Passthrough")?

Oh, and if I do need a receiver like this, do they send an "unmolested" video signal through the receiver to the projector? In other words would the video be just as good/identical run through the receiver as it would be if each of the components were run with their own separate HDMI cables to the projector, or would the receiver try and "enhance the image" before passing it on to the projector (which I am hoping to avoid)?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me get this all straight!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-01-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 122
First off, a 5.1 system will almost certainly sound better than a sound bar. Beyond that, yes, you should be able to connect all of your devices to the AVR and run a single HDMI to your projector. You'll need to make sure the receiver can pass 3D to your projector. Most AVRs allow you to send video to a display without any intervening processing. But, you'll need to read the manuals carefully to make sure the AVRs you are considering meet your specific needs.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-01-2013, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, thanks BIslander! I'll go start looking for a decent receiver that won't "molest" the video at all.

If anyone has any suggestions on a receiver that doesn't cost a fortune (say, between $300-500 USD) that has 5+ HDMI inputs, A/V Passthrough capability, and would pass the video to the projector without attempting to modify it, please let me know!
post #4 of 4 Old 01-01-2013, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, so after doing a couple of hours of digging, I've found the following receiver:

Pioneer Elite VSX-42

It fits in my price range, has 6 HDMI inputs, one HDMI output and indicates that it supports 3D A/V Passthrough. So everything I listed above appears to be in this unit, but after reading through the manual online, it doesn't seem to indicate anywhere whether or not it can pass the video signals coming from the connected components via HDMI out to the projector without altering them or attempting to "clean them up" in any way. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to verify this since it's not in the manual???
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page