Need some help upgrading from 5.1 to 7.1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-01-2013, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi all. I have a Pioneer VSX-820-K. It is currently setup as a 5.1. I remember reading in the manual that it can do 7.1 through the use of an external amp. This is the manual:

http://www.pioneer-mea.com/en/manuals/1270025712VSX-820-K.pdf

It is on page 16.

I'm looking for a relatively low cost amp that will drive the speakers the same way as if the receiver was already 7.1 without pre-outs. Or maybe it's not worth it to add two speakers at all? My room's dimensions are 16.5 x 13 x 7. (It's my basement).

Suggestions or ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 02:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
If your seating is a few feet away from the back wall, then you're a good candidate for a 7.1-speaker layout (a pair of speakers directly to your sides and another pair spread out behind you). However, if your seating is at or near the back wall, then better to stick with a 5.1 layout (no space behind you for the rear speakers).

Not sure what your idea is of "relatively low cost", but 2-channel amps can be had for not much money: http://amzn.com/B0052CHIYC

Sanjay
Old 01-02-2013, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

If your seating is a few feet away from the back wall, then you're a good candidate for a 7.1-speaker layout (a pair of speakers directly to your sides and another pair spread out behind you). However, if your seating is at or near the back wall, then better to stick with a 5.1 layout (no space behind you for the rear speakers).
Not sure what your idea is of "relatively low cost", but 2-channel amps can be had for not much money: http://amzn.com/B0052CHIYC

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I will be sitting away from the wall about 3-4 feet. And by relatively low cost I mean something like you posted, if not even cheaper. I bought my receiver for $280. I've seen amps cost around $1000. Rather not even think about that much. If you could recommend something from a Canadian retailer as that's where I'm at.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

+1. Not worth it to have 7.1 when you are sitting pretty close to the back wall. Trust me, I didn't take his advice originally and boy was that a waste of time and money.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
Old 01-02-2013, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

+1. Not worth it to have 7.1 when you are sitting pretty close to the back wall. Trust me, I didn't take his advice originally and boy was that a waste of time and money.

So 3-4 feet is too close?
Old 01-02-2013, 03:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftcomet View Post

So 3-4 feet is too close?

I'm sitting about a foot away. At first 3-4 feet does seem close but one of my friend's set up I believe is pretty close to the back (I think) and still sounds awesome. Sdurani knows who I am talking about. He can comment on that

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
Old 01-02-2013, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

I'm sitting about a foot away. At first 3-4 feet does seem close but one of my friend's set up I believe is pretty close to the back (I think) and still sounds awesome. Sdurani knows who I am talking about. He can comment on that

So assuming I get it, I have a few questions about the amp. Will it turn off/on automatically? What about the volume? Will I have to change it separately on the amp when I do on the receiver? The VSX 820 says it has 110 Watts of power per channel. Does this mean I need an amp that has 110W/channel as well? How difficult will it be the balance and match the sound to as if the Receiver was already a 7.1?