Low end-ish Receiver Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-02-2013, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
*If this is in the wrong place I apologize...I didn't see a posting rule set or a newbie question forum*

I am setting up a simple (and relatively inexpensive) home theater system using the DefTech Pro Cinema 60.6 as my speaker system (I'm in an apartment...don't want to wake the neighbors) and I can't decide on a receiver.

Back in the day I built a KEF system (towers and all) with a Velodyne sub which was powered by an Onkyo 705, which I was incredibly happy with. My first thought for this newer and cheaper system was to go with the 515, but given the insane amount of bad reviews mentioning HDMI problems, I really don't want to take the risk.

The only feature that tends to be a drawback in my search is 1080p upconversion: I would much rather not go forward without it. I've been doing a ton of research and have found that Yamahas have good reviews but no upconversion, the Pioneer 1022 also has HDMI problems, and the Denon sets are too much for the feature set (yes I know they sound better but I can't take full advantage of that). I started looking at older models (805, 805, 2309, etc) but the earlier HDMi spec could be a drawback...

How is the 1913? That looks like an option (refurbished = cheaper) http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1913/DENON-AVR-1913-7.1ch-Home-Theater-Receiver-w/AirPlay-3D-ready/1.html

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-02-2013, 07:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 1070
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWEB View Post

*If this is in the wrong place I apologize...I didn't see a posting rule set or a newbie question forum*

I am setting up a simple (and relatively inexpensive) home theater system using the DefTech Pro Cinema 60.6 as my speaker system (I'm in an apartment...don't want to wake the neighbors) and I can't decide on a receiver.

Back in the day I built a KEF system (towers and all) with a Velodyne sub which was powered by an Onkyo 705, which I was incredibly happy with. My first thought for this newer and cheaper system was to go with the 515, but given the insane amount of bad reviews mentioning HDMI problems, I really don't want to take the risk.

The only feature that tends to be a drawback in my search is 1080p upconversion: I would much rather not go forward without it. I've been doing a ton of research and have found that Yamahas have good reviews but no upconversion, the Pioneer 1022 also has HDMI problems, and the Denon sets are too much for the feature set (yes I know they sound better but I can't take full advantage of that). I started looking at older models (805, 805, 2309, etc) but the earlier HDMi spec could be a drawback...

How is the 1913? That looks like an option (refurbished = cheaper) http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1913/DENON-AVR-1913-7.1ch-Home-Theater-Receiver-w/AirPlay-3D-ready/1.html

Thanks for the help!

I find the idea that upconversion is necessarily a task for the AVR to be a bit strange. All the upconversion I need takes place in a moderately-priced Blu Ray player which does it brilliantly.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-02-2013, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I agree with you when it comes to DVDs, but my issue is I only want to run 1 cable to my TV (HDMI) yet I don't have an HDTV cable box (it runs via composite), and my PS2/N64 are the same way (not HDMI). Without the upconversion I would have to run more than just the one cable to my TV right? Or am I misunderstanding the concept
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Receivers Amplifiers , Blu Ray Movies , Pioneer Vsx 1022 K 560w 7 Channel A V Receiver , Denon , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page