If buying new receiver, can speakers from my HTIB be used until I upgrade? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-02-2013, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hello, In the living room area, I've got the Samsung HT-D6730 HTIB like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-HT-D6730W-Theater-System/dp/B004OCN6ZG

It uses proprietery terminals/plug-ins for the speaker wires on the back of its "receiver".. I am wondering if I were to invest in a decent onkyo/denon receiver, would I be able to cut the ends off and use these speakers reliably until I am able to upgrade the speakers themselves? Not doing this in the near future, but would like to know so if I run across a decent receiver at a good price, I know if I'd be able to actually use it in my system. Also, any recommendations on a receiver? Want it to be as "future-proof" as possible.. at least 3 HDMI inputs, capable of at least a true 7.1 surround system in the future (not the 'false' 7.1 my current HTIB is), reliable, and any other important things to look for in a receiver these days... Also needs to be at least partly piano black finish. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-02-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Many HTIBs use 4 ohm speakers, which should not be re-purposed for use with an 8 ohm receiver. Check the manual for your HTIB to see what kind of speakers it has. Also, most HTIBs have passive subs connected with speaker wire while most modern receivers use powered subs using a single coax connection.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-02-2013, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Here is a link to the manual:

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201202/20120202154053712/HT-D6730W_XAA_web_1226.pdf

It actually appears these speakers have 3Ω impedance!? Is that just the rating that Samsung calls 4Ω? The sub indeed is passive radiator..

Regardless, it appears my initial plan is a no go?

Possibly a better alternative would be to run HDMI cable out of the new receiver (when I get that) to this HTIB receiver, and basically use both until I am able to upgrade the speakers to ones that are compatible with new receiver? I suppose that would defeat the purpose.. Grr. Thanks for the info

post #4 of 4 Old 01-02-2013, 04:33 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
The 3-ohm speakers would actually be even harder to drive than 4-ohm speakers. If you want to upgrade, sell the HTIB in its entirety and purchase a separate AVR and 7.1 speaker setup.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page