Advice on 3 Receivers: Yamaha RX-V373, Onkyo TX-NR509, Harmon Kardon AVR 1700 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-02-2013, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

This is my first post. I've been a lurker for a long time, and I finally have a problem I'd like some help with. This is my first receiver purchase and I don't have a large budget (I'm in college and only working part time), all three of these receivers I've come across through decent deals (at least from what I've researched). My question to all of you wonderful AVS forum members is which of these three receivers should I keep?

These are my three choices (labeled from most expensive to least expensive):
  1. Yamaha RX-V373
  2. Harmon Kardon AVR 1700
  3. Onkyo TX-NR509

If it helps, I'll be pairing the receiver I keep with the Klipsch HD 500 5.1 speaker system. At the moment the apartment rooms the system will be in are smallish and/or oddly shaped (I'm phrasing it like that anticipating I'll move a few times before I'm ready to upgrade).

I would like the networking capabilities of the Onkyo or HK, but they aren't nessecary if the Yamaha is much better buy. I'm looking for something that will last me at least 3 or 4 years and that is the best bang for the buck. I'm really not too sure how the automatic room correction stacks up and I think that may be where y'all can help me the most. Or just point out major things I've over looked.

Thank you for your input and help! I greatly appreciated it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-03-2013, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Anybody?

Should I take silence as a suggestion to just save my money for a better receiver?
post #3 of 7 Old 01-10-2013, 09:40 AM

Liked: 11
I actually joined because I saw your post. I live in an apartment also, and had a hard time choosing the right receiver. Amazon had some rockin' deals at Christmas, and I was looking at the Yamaha RXV371 and the Onkyo you mentioned. I got the Onkyo, because they have a great Audyssey equalization setting for the volume. It is perfect for my small space, because I don't have to crank it to hear every detail. In fact, I've never had to push the volume even halfway to get great audio. The TX-NR509 is my second Onkyo, because I sold the first for a soundbar to appease the wife. DON'T DO THIS. She even missed the surround sound! My advice would be to visit accessories4less.com. They have a great refurbished selection, featuring Onkyos and Denons. They are backed by a one year warranty, as they are an authorized dealer. You'll get a lot of receiver for your money. Just make sure it has Audyssey EQ. Both Denon and Onkyo models have this, except for their entry level receivers. I love Onkyo's sound reproduction, and I had no reliability issues with the first. I've only had this for a couple of weeks, and no hiccups so far. Haven't even messed with the networking feature, since my blu-ray player does that.
MormonMacMan likes this.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-10-2013, 09:43 AM

By the way, some on these forums can be snobs about budget audio equipment. That's why I do more lurking than joining.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-10-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by MormonMacMan View Post

Anybody?

Should I take silence as a suggestion to just save my money for a better receiver?

Review the "Onkyo TX-NR609, TX-NR509, TX-SR309 Thread" and if that doesn't scare you off, make your move. It is probably the one I'd pick of the 3 you mention.

Check out the competitive Denon AVR, too.
MormonMacMan likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-10-2013, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the reply! I had given up on getting a reply, so I appreciate it! I figured it was going to be tough getting an opinion on such budget receivers, and I too mostly lurk for the time being as I'm not even close to needing a really high end system just yet (let alone have to money to buy one).

I've decided to go with the Onkyo as well since the Audyssey is supposed to be better than YPAO and it was about $75 cheaper as well. I was able to get the TX-NR509 for $127 on Amazon (that was super lucky, they had it at that price for a few hours before they were sold out) and a 3 year SquareTrade warranty for $20. The Yamaha was $193 with tax and the standard warranty + $30 for a 3 year warranty. So far I've been good, but I haven't tried switching between HDMI sources much - the problem most people seem to have with that particular model.

I did test out the RX-V373 and it seemed to work as well as Onkyo does, but at about $75 cheaper my wallet said to go with the Onkyo.

Thanks for the referral to accessories4less! That's a good place to look in the future.

And again, thanks for replying!
post #7 of 7 Old 01-10-2013, 02:20 PM

That's an amazing deal. Amazon also has the wifi dongle for under $25, if you decide to network. I picked one up, just on case.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V373 5 1 Channel Av Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr509 5 1 Channel Network A V Receiver
Gear in this thread - V373 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page