AVS Forum banner

adding speakers

253 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  jdsmoothie 
#1 ·
I recently hooked up my stereo in my new home & now want to add more speakers. I have a Yamaha RX-V650(several years old) & a center, R, L, Surrounds, & sub hooked up. I want to add a couple more speakers in the kitchen & someday outdoors. I would like to be able to turn them on only when cooking or w/ guests. What is the best way to do this? Zone 2, Speaker B, another receiver(I have a HTIB), amp, preamp? I am somewhat new to all this. I tried hooking to Zone 2, but didn't work. Maybe I did it wrong. Any advice will help. Thanks.

#2 ·
I quickly read the owners manual for your receiver page 63, you need too pull up the "set menu" on the front display and turn "zone 2" on. This will allow the internal amplifier to power the speakers you have plugged in to zone 2 on the back of the unit.

#4 ·
I tried again last night on the zone 2 & nothing. Anyone know a trick to this? I read somewhere that I need to be on 5.1, not 6.1 or 7.1. I changed the settings to what I thought was surround 5.1, but still noihing. If I want to hook up 4 more speakers, can I use an external amp?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.