"The Official Yamaha RX-V773 Thread" - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 944 Old 08-26-2013, 03:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I play bluray disc with 7.1 DTS Master audio. In straight mode under the information screen on the receiver it is shown that the audio coming in is 7.1 and it is on straight mode, so all the 7.1 channels are working. The presence speakers are still not working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 944 Old 08-26-2013, 04:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slavi Panayotov View Post

I play bluray disc with 7.1 DTS Master audio. In straight mode under the information screen on the receiver it is shown that the audio coming in is 7.1 and it is on straight mode, so all the 7.1 channels are working. The presence speakers are still not working.
Have you put your ear up to them to be certain? Are they lit up on the display?

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #273 of 944 Old 08-26-2013, 04:19 AM

Yes I have - not working. Also they are not lit up on the display.

I tried the test tone though and all speakers are working fine. But when the movie is on - presence are not working.

When I put the Cinema DSP mode the presence are working but the surround back are not. Very annoying, because I want the receiver to play what comes RAW from the bluray (straight mode).
post #274 of 944 Old 08-26-2013, 04:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

When in straight mode do the back surrounds work?

post #275 of 944 Old 08-26-2013, 04:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

There is no movie that I know of that is recorded specifically for fp speakers. 7.1 will be mastered with back surrounds so when you put it in straight thats what will work. If you want the fp speakers to work you will have to use a DSP mode.

post #276 of 944 Old 08-26-2013, 04:36 AM

In straight mode all the 7.1 speakers are working except the Presence Speaker. It sucks that i cannot use them properly now. Is there a way to connect them with the centre speaker. Basically the presence speakers get what the centre speaker get right?
post #277 of 944 Old 08-26-2013, 04:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

In straight mode all the 7.1 speakers are working except the Presence Speaker. It sucks that i cannot use them properly now. Is there a way to connect them with the centre speaker. Basically the presence speakers get what the centre speaker get right?
No. And no. I use my fp all the time for movies and music. I have bs and fp hooked up. What is so tragic about using the Standard DSP mode for movies?

post #278 of 944 Old 08-26-2013, 04:54 AM

Well I though the whole purpose for the 7.1 audio movies is to play it as it comes from the blu-ray, not to put it in a filter through the receiver. Also when you put DSP mode for a movie the back surround stops working in order the FP to work.
post #279 of 944 Old 08-26-2013, 05:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well I though the whole purpose for the 7.1 audio movies is to play it as it comes from the blu-ray, not to put it in a filter through the receiver. Also when you put DSP mode for a movie the back surround stops working in order the FP to work.
Thats not the whole purpose for me. I like to have options so I can decide what sounds best.If you are a purist then use the back surrounds for 7.1 movies. The fp are useful for other things as well. I use them a lot for music in 7 ch stereo. If you want the bs and fp to work at the same time you will need a 9.1 receiver.

post #280 of 944 Old 08-26-2013, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Thats not the whole purpose for me. I like to have options so I can decide what sounds best.If you are a purist then use the back surrounds for 7.1 movies. The fp are useful for other things as well. I use them a lot for music in 7 ch stereo. If you want the bs and fp to work at the same time you will need a 9.1 receiver.

Thanks for the help!
post #281 of 944 Old 08-26-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for the help!
yw

post #282 of 944 Old 08-26-2013, 03:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Just watched "Olympus Has Fallen". Its 5.1 like most movies. With all the helicopters and planes in the movie front heights is the way to go imo. Great movie.

post #283 of 944 Old 08-27-2013, 01:02 AM

It is a good one. I watch a lot of 5.1 movies but the receiver makes them 7.1 in straight mode. That is why i was so surprised that it can't do the same with the presence speakers.
post #284 of 944 Old 08-27-2013, 01:02 AM

It is a good one. I watch a lot of 5.1 movies but the receiver makes them 7.1 in straight mode. That is why i was so surprised that it can't do the same with the presence speakers.
post #285 of 944 Old 08-27-2013, 04:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I watch a lot of 5.1 movies but the receiver makes them 7.1 in straight mode.
Thats because you have the Extended Surround on. If that is the case then youre not really listening to it "as the Director intended" anyway. You might as well be using a DSP mode. Either way the 773 is adding some artificial processing.

post #286 of 944 Old 08-27-2013, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Nothing wrong with setting Extended Surround to PLIIx with 5.1 material, it's nothing like using some of the other DSP modes. If anything you'll hear something closer to what the director intended with PLIIx, because 4 surround speakers can position sounds more accurately than 2 (not that I really care what the director intended).
post #287 of 944 Old 08-27-2013, 06:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

Nothing wrong with setting Extended Surround to PLIIx with 5.1 material, it's nothing like using some of the other DSP modes. If anything you'll hear something closer to what the director intended with PLIIx, because 4 surround speakers can position sounds more accurately than 2 (not that I really care what the director intended).
I agree theres nothing wrong with it. My point is only that if it is mastered in 5.1 then the AVR is only guessing what should come out of the back surrounds. Same as when listening to 5.1 with front presence in a DSP mode. You can claim that using back surrounds with Extended surround is somehow more accurate than using a DSP mode but I really dont know. I switch between them depending on the source and use whatever sounds best to me.

post #288 of 944 Old 08-27-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

With PLIIx it's clear what should come out of the rear surrounds. e.g. when the intention was to create a sound directly behind you, it's recorded equally in both side surrounds (so it images behind you). In this case PLIIx will move it to the rear surrounds so it really does come from behind you and is more realistic (especially if you're not sitting in the centre seat). But you do need at least a few feet behind the listening position for the rear surrounds to work well.

On the other hand the presence speaker output is pretty much just made up, and I wish Yamaha would start supporting other standards for more than 7.1 speakers instead of just their own DSP modes.
post #289 of 944 Old 08-27-2013, 05:16 PM

Hello folks,

I've just bought the RX-V773 and I am pretty happy with it. Just one question: I am trying to connect my old sony home theater to it through an hdmi cable (to hdmi 2 port). I can see the image, but cannot listen. I thought I would be able to do that... am I missing something here?.

Thanks for your help.
post #290 of 944 Old 09-03-2013, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Has anyone purchased a factory refurbished 773? I'm wondering if they are scratch free and look and play like new?
post #291 of 944 Old 09-04-2013, 07:52 AM

Liked: 17
I just ordered a HTR-7065 refurbished from New Egg for only $339. This is the same as the RX-V773. I'll let you know when it shows up.
post #292 of 944 Old 10-02-2013, 02:53 PM

Hey all. Don't know if anyone may have a suggestion on what to do with this situation?

My father in law recently bought one of these amps and I was over last night helping set it up (I'm no techie, but better than him at least wink.gif ). Anyway, he's lost some hearing and at times he'll listen to stuff using a set of sennheiser hdr180 (think that's what they are) headphones. He used to just have them hooked up via rca out to his lg bluray/hdd recorder. But now he's using a few more sources (and I've hooked his tv through the amp too) but we are having a problem with getting the sound to his headphones.

When the headphones are connected to the front headphone out the speakers are obviously cut off, which isn't suitable as he uses them when others are around too. When I connect them via either the audio out or video out rca's on the back of the amp they get no sound/signal. I tested this connecting them up to his lg bluray again and the rca from them works fine.

So I'm just wondering if I'm missing something somewhere, a setting, or is this just plain not gonna work? I did find the settings where you could turn audio out on or off via amp, or hdmi etc but there was no setting for the rca/audio/video out.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

I am wondering if something can be set up using zone 2???? Or is that a noob's wishful thinking?
post #293 of 944 Old 10-02-2013, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I dont know about the headphones. Hopefully someone else can help. If not I would call Yamaha.

post #294 of 944 Old 10-02-2013, 08:11 PM

Liked: 20
The ouput level of the composite RCA (red/white) audio needs to be around one tenth to one half a volt, the RCA auxillary output level is much lower and of a much higher impedence so is inadequate to drive headphones. I do remember some high impedence headphones but that was from the mid 60's.
post #295 of 944 Old 10-03-2013, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Also, I don't think there will be anything on the RCA outputs when the audio was input via HDMI (which is perhaps what the OP tested).
post #296 of 944 Old 10-03-2013, 08:13 PM

Thanks guys. We also contacted the seller he purchased it from, and they suggested using the zone2 outputs for it, and setting it to party mode. He's not using zone2 at all so we're gonna give that a try. They did say they may have some other solutions which are more convoluted, but thanks anyway smile.gif

Edit: Have just had a chat to my FIL.

Using zone 2 and switching the amp to party mode appears to be working (granted he is getting a bit more echo than he used to due to delays etc), but it appears when in party mode he loses the other surround modes, which affects the others watching what is going on. The seller he spoke to thought the issue was to do with the audio outputs being designed to connect to another amp and that they aren't 'driving' the headphones. So I'm wondering if we get a cheap headphone amp of some description (in Aus, Jaycar sell them for say under $30) and connect that then maybe that will work from the audio out, and then he doesn't have to switch to party mode and lose the surround for everyone else. He'd only use the headphones 1/4 of the time anyway, and would have to switch the mode on and off each time. Less fiddling retirees have to do the better I say wink.gif
post #297 of 944 Old 10-04-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Using zone 2 without party mode will not work for digital inputs (unless you also run an analog audio cable from each source device to the receiver). But you'll definitely get an echo with this method, because the sound from the main speakers has gone through the DSPs for processing, while the sound from the zone 2 output is just an analog bypass (with less delay).

Party mode should solve the echo problem and work for any source (even digital), because the signal is then just being split after processing. But the downside as you noticed is that you can only get stereo in the main zone with party mode. Adding a headphone amp is not going to change this (or the echo problem when not in party mode).

When you want surround sound in the main zone using HDMI (e.g. from a Blu-ray player) you might be able to do something with the second HDMI output of the 773. You would need to connect it to another device that will accept multi-channel audio over HDMI (e.g. another receiver) and then use the headphone output of that device. You might even be able to match delays to avoid an echo by playing with the audio delay on the second receiver. Maybe you can borrow another receiver to test this, because I don't guarantee it will work smile.gif.

Or, if we go back to using zone 2 (no party mode, but with an extra analog cable from Blu-ray player to the 773), you will still be able to do surround sound in the main zone and you can buy a lip sync corrector to delay the zone 2 output and solve the echo problem. e.g. http://www.cyberselect.co.uk/product/2369 costs less than than trying to use a second HDMI receiver, and you might be able to find such a device even cheaper (that was the first one I came across).
post #298 of 944 Old 10-04-2013, 08:28 AM

Liked: 20
The external amp fed with the composite audio (red/white) to just run the headphones is a quick and easy solution, it could even be used to drive a wirelesss headphone setup.
post #299 of 944 Old 10-04-2013, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

You would still need a way to delay the analog audio to avoid an annoying echo (the main speakers being 40ms or more behind the headphones).
post #300 of 944 Old 10-07-2013, 06:59 PM

I have a Sirius IR issue with my 867 - I realize cross posting is frowned upon but it was recommended on the 867 thread to post here also since this thread is much more active.

I have owned and enjoyed my V867 for a couple of years now. I have been very happy with it generally - certainly the sound and capabilities have met my needs. Setup and configuration, well, good enough. My wife and I both work from home and this unit is powered on probably 12 hours per day on average. We listen to Sirius IR (40%), Pandora (40%), Internet Radio (10%), and HDMI cable TV (10%).

I ran into an issue with Sirius IR that started 2 weeks ago. Sirius made me change my internet password when I logged into the Sirius website to update my credit card expiration date - they decided my old password wasn't secure enough - whatever. The next time I turned on Sirius IR on my Yamaha, it told me it couldn't access my account, or something to that effect so I immediately figured "of course, I need to change my password." So I deleted my previous account as directed, added a new one with my Sirius username and new password. Upon entering the new password, it immediately comes back with the message "Access Error." I can login to Sirius IR with my username/password on my pc, on my Grace radio, on my android phone, etc. - but not on my Yamaha receiver. I tried my wife's username/login - same thing - "Access Error." We can both login to any number of other media streaming clients/devices with our Sirius credentials, but not this receiver any more. Pandora, Internet Radio, and DLNA all continue to work fine on the receiver it doesn't seem to be a connectivity issue. Receiver is hard wired into my home router, not wifi.

So I called Yamaha and after 3 days and escalations to Tier 2 suport, they sent me an RMA label and said I need to ship it to Atlanta (closest licensed repair shop to me here in North Carolina apparently). This will take a month probably. All for what is so obvious to me, a firmware issue! I am on the most recent firmware version 2.34. I have done full hard reset - lost all my config mad.gif None of this helps - all attempts to login to Sirius IR yields "Access Error" even though all other streaming internet sources are working perfectly fine. The Tier 2 support guy is able to login to Sirius IR on his test unit using my login credentials. Such a shame that somehow their Sirius IR client on my unit is obviously somehow corrupted or something.

Any last thoughts/suggestions on things I could try before I send this thing in and require a lot of hardware effort to fix an obvious firmware issue?

Yes I have searched the internet.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V773wa Receiver
Gear in this thread