"The Official Yamaha RX-V773 Thread" - Page 16 - AVS Forum
First ... 14  15  16 17  18  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > "The Official Yamaha RX-V773 Thread"
cessna1466u's Avatar cessna1466u 01:14 PM 12-26-2013
Hello All, hope everyone had a great Christmas. I recently purchased an RX-V773. I love it, its great. I have posted here before about the lack of power. I upgraded from a RX-V2600 that boasted 130watts/channel. I love all the upgrades the 773 offers, but.... Today I saw a listing for an RX-A2020 which has 140watts/channel and 3 zones. I know sometimes companies can hype up their brands and add special names to receivers to make them sound better, like Aventage, Elite, etc. My question to you all is, will it be worth it to upgrade to the 2020? I would need to sell my 773 and come up with probably another $300. I would love the 3rd Zone for the garage and the extra power would be nice. Besides that I don't think I see anything different from the 773. My plan is to have Klipsch Reference series towers as my fronts, preferably the dual 8" ones. Is the 773 going to be enough to run these towers and I should use the $300 towards getting the towers or work on upgrading the receiver. I know its hard to answer a question like this, I guess what I am looking for is more of your opinion. Would you upgrade?

Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 07:29 PM 12-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u View Post

Hello All, hope everyone had a great Christmas. I recently purchased an RX-V773. I love it, its great. I have posted here before about the lack of power. I upgraded from a RX-V2600 that boasted 130watts/channel. I love all the upgrades the 773 offers, but.... Today I saw a listing for an RX-A2020 which has 140watts/channel and 3 zones. I know sometimes companies can hype up their brands and add special names to receivers to make them sound better, like Aventage, Elite, etc. My question to you all is, will it be worth it to upgrade to the 2020? I would need to sell my 773 and come up with probably another $300. I would love the 3rd Zone for the garage and the extra power would be nice. Besides that I don't think I see anything different from the 773. My plan is to have Klipsch Reference series towers as my fronts, preferably the dual 8" ones. Is the 773 going to be enough to run these towers and I should use the $300 towards getting the towers or work on upgrading the receiver. I know its hard to answer a question like this, I guess what I am looking for is more of your opinion. Would you upgrade?
Theextra power wont be noticeable. Dont bother with dual 8 fronts. Get 6.5 and a sub. If you want a 3rd zone instead of paying $300 for a different receiver spend the $300 on a new one. Like an rx v375.
cessna1466u's Avatar cessna1466u 07:52 PM 12-26-2013
So you don't think the V2020 will give anything more that my 773 isn't already doing? I already have 1 RW-12D and have another one on the way. Those & dual 6.5" towers should cover my fronts pretty good? I like this idea, then I can stick to the RF-600's. I need to call Mike from here (AVS) and see what kind of deal he has for floor standing Klipsch speakers with the dual 6.5". Won't be buying anything any time soon thought, have to save a little first. Thanks for your input.
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 05:52 AM 12-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u View Post

So you don't think the V2020 will give anything more that my 773 isn't already doing? I already have 1 RW-12D and have another one on the way. Those & dual 6.5" towers should cover my fronts pretty good? I like this idea, then I can stick to the RF-600's. I need to call Mike from here (AVS) and see what kind of deal he has for floor standing Klipsch speakers with the dual 6.5". Won't be buying anything any time soon thought, have to save a little first. Thanks for your input.
Yes. Dual 6.5 with subs would be fine for primaries. Not sure what else you have but the Klipsch Synergy F20s are fairly cheap and sound good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780027&Tpk=klipsch%20synergy%20f20
DrNorm's Avatar DrNorm 04:11 PM 12-28-2013
HDMI handshake issues..... associated with multiple HDMI outputs

I am running my projector from HDMI 1 and an LCD PC monitor from HDMI 2.

I find that the HDMI handshake is VERY slow (5-10 seconds) and that unit frequently DROPS synch with HDMI2 and then cannot "find" (re-synch) the monitor.
When this happens, the red "HDMI" symbol on receiver screen flashes and then the output # (e.g., the 2) also flashes. Sometimes it will not re-acquire synch with the minotor w/o turning off the AVR.
Synch with the projector (HDMI 1) is stable but there is a 3-5 sec. lag (often accompanied by multiple screen flashes or screen flashing all one color) when the input source is changed.

annoying but not impossible to deal with.

What's weird is that I have "NET" hard button configured for Pandora with output to HDMI 2 only (since I will have music playing but no need for running projector) and this synch is VERY quick and almost never drops.

It also seems that if I have "output = HDMI 1 + 2" set but don't have the projector running then there is the same synch problem with HDMI 2. If I change output to "HMDI 2" only (even if input is DVR) then it seems a "little" better and more stable.

I tried turning OFF the "HDMI check" at start-up (where AVR confirms output resolution capability) through Advanced Set-up, but that didn't seem to improve things. Have also tried both "HDMI Auto" and "HDMI Direct" as far as ouput settings, also with no change.

Hardly a deal-breaker but a pretty annoying problem. I do wonder if a better receiver (i.e., "faster" processor = more expensive) would have faster HDMI handshake. I don't remember it being this slow with a the much more expensive Onkyo receiver I replaced (which I would NOT consider replacing with another Onkyo based on very premature electronics failure (known issue) in a unit costing 4x the price!)
Rojo_P's Avatar Rojo_P 10:54 AM 12-29-2013
I could not pass on the latest Newegg deal ($449), with an additional $45 off for signing up and using "MasterPass" (with the promo code "MASTERPASS"). The bang for the buck here is excellent.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115377

Our older Pioneer VSX1016 was having some problems, plus we are hoping the dialog enhancement features on the "Yammy" help out our older ears.
DrNorm's Avatar DrNorm 06:04 PM 12-29-2013
in "party mode" I can get audio output to Zone 2 and main and video output from either HDMI out.

Has anyone been able to get HDMI video output when using Zone 2 ONLY ? I have set parameters to output video from the source but there is none. It would "seem" that if you can have audio output to Zone 2 then you should be able to have video output (at least from HDMI 2?) as well. That would allow you to listen to and view a source in Zone 2..

My "goal" is to have music (from Pandora) playing throughout the house (my Zone 2 via a Niles distribution splitter) but have HDMI 2 Video output so I can see the Pandora info on an LCD monitor.
My workaround has been to use Pandora from my iPad via Airplay and then not only do I have the track info with me but I can control it, as well. In some ways it is actually a superior solution since I have "remote" control capability.
BiggNewt's Avatar BiggNewt 06:11 PM 12-29-2013
Does YPAO eq the sub on this model?
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 06:19 PM 12-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggNewt View Post

Does YPAO eq the sub on this model?
No
rosscan's Avatar rosscan 08:27 PM 12-31-2013
Ok I have the choice between a new v575 or the v773, both at $449 each. What's my best move here? Would the Polk Monitor 70s get enough power from either of these?
cessna1466u's Avatar cessna1466u 01:51 AM 01-01-2014
Question about audio out. I think I had it set up this way either on purpose or by mistake but I can't get it back to it. So I have everything being directed through the receiver to my tv via HDMI. Today we had issues with audio from the PS3 so we messed with the settings on the receiver and it turned out to be a PS3 issue. My problem is this. When the receiver is turned off I want the receiver to pass along the audio to the tv so I Can hear the sound out of the tv, as soon as I turn the receiver on to get audio out of the surround speakers, I want the audio to turn off on the tv. Is that a setting on the receiver or is it even possible? What is happening now is that I am having 2 audios, one form tv and the other through the surround speakers. Of course I can turn the tv volume down or Mute, but I thought the receiver was doing this on its own earlier.

Any thoughts?
kriktsemaj99's Avatar kriktsemaj99 08:30 AM 01-01-2014
In the HDMI menu, turn On Standby Through to send sound to the TV when the receiver is off (standby). And under Audio Output make sure HDMI OUT is Off (so audio is not sent to the TV when the receiver is on).

But the problem trying to do this with the PS3 is that, unlike most devices, the PS3 does not auto-detect the supported audio formats unless you explicitly ask it to do this from the setup menu. So if you set up the PS3 HDMI audio when the receiver is on, it will detect that surround formats are supported and it will use them.

Then when the receiver is off you may have a problem if the PS3 tries to send an audio format directly to the TV that the TV doesn't support. And if you run the PS3 HDMI audio setup when the receiver is off and the TV only supports stereo, the PS3 won't sent surround sound to the receiver when you turn it on (until you run the PS3 setup again).
cessna1466u's Avatar cessna1466u 12:12 PM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

In the HDMI menu, turn On Standby Through to send sound to the TV when the receiver is off (standby). And under Audio Output make sure HDMI OUT is Off (so audio is not sent to the TV when the receiver is on).

But the problem trying to do this with the PS3 is that, unlike most devices, the PS3 does not auto-detect the supported audio formats unless you explicitly ask it to do this from the setup menu. So if you set up the PS3 HDMI audio when the receiver is on, it will detect that surround formats are supported and it will use them.

Then when the receiver is off you may have a problem if the PS3 tries to send an audio format directly to the TV that the TV doesn't support. And if you run the PS3 HDMI audio setup when the receiver is off and the TV only supports stereo, the PS3 won't sent surround sound to the receiver when you turn it on (until you run the PS3 setup again).

Thank you that solved it! The tv I have can support the audio the PS3 puts out so its working really good now. I appreciate the reply. Thank you!
slreno's Avatar slreno 06:59 PM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkRationally View Post

I've been running a 773 for about 8 months now, and I like it.

One thing a lot of people would like is to be able to set separate crossovers for each speaker (or pair of speakers)--the 773 has only 1 crossover that applies to all speakers.

Also, YPAO doesn't cover the sub, like higher versions of Audessey do--I'd really like to have room correction for the sub.

I like internet radio, and I wish it were a little more flexible. Being able to save favorites from the remote or app, instead of being required to go to a website to do it, being able to re-order your favorites, and having an easy 'last station' function would be nice touches.

But now I'm getting nit-picky. I like this receiver. It has lots of features, and has performed well for me. I don't regret the purchase, and I don't have any deal-breaker complaints.

are you saying that i cant set a crossover of say 40 to my front large speakers (klipsch synergy f10's) and say 100 or even 120 to my small (klipsch quintets) if so i am going to be really disapointed with that crap!! guess maybe i should have read a little more before i pulled the trigger..
damn i hope i am reading this wrong!
thanks for any replies.
ThinkRationally's Avatar ThinkRationally 07:40 PM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by slreno View Post

are you saying that i cant set a crossover of say 40 to my front large speakers (klipsch synergy f10's) and say 100 or even 120 to my small (klipsch quintets) if so i am going to be really disapointed with that crap!! guess maybe i should have read a little more before i pulled the trigger..
damn i hope i am reading this wrong!
thanks for any replies.

That's correct, you can only set one crossover that applies to all speakers.
slreno's Avatar slreno 07:44 PM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkRationally View Post

That's correct, you can only set one crossover that applies to all speakers.

well i am confused then? how in the world are you supposed to set up the system correctly if i have large fronts and small surrounds. obviously you cant have the same crossovers for my f10's the same as the quintets. that would sound hidious. what is yamahas options for this in the settings? a small or large setting only? or do they even have that?

if it is a large or small setting only, has anyone figured out where it is et to as far as crossover goes? are they using thx settings of 80? or what?
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 08:22 PM 01-02-2014
The standard is to set all speakers to small and set xover to 80. The F10 dont do well much below that anyway. 90 might work a little better because of the quintets. Hard to say especially not knowing what kind of sub you have. Try small and 80 or 90 and see what sounds best.
Id get rid of those quintets and get a decent pair of bookshelf as soon as you can. 5.25" or something. Youd be a lot better off.
slreno's Avatar slreno 08:32 PM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

The standard is to set all speakers to small and set xover to 80. The F10 dont do well much below that anyway. 90 might work a little better because of the quintets. Hard to say especially not knowing what kind of sub you have. Try small and 80 or 90 and see what sounds best.
Id get rid of those quintets and get a decent pair of bookshelf as soon as you can. 5.25" or something. Youd be a lot better off.

are you saying set the sub to 80 or 90? just curious because i have a svs pb10 sub and was told by them to set the sub to 125 in the settings because this sub does well in that range and i wont lose any frquency if i do use that setting? do you recomend to go even lower to 80 or 90? or ptobably what sounds best to me?

just got off the phone with yamaha and was told if i set fronts to large it sends full range (20) to fronts and surrounds to small which is actually 80 (thx recomended setting) .. guess i will try both when it gets here monday.. i am suspecting its going to sound better with all set to small and sub maybe around 125, but am going to try your recomendation of 80 or 90 to see what the difference will be?
thanks
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 08:35 PM 01-02-2014
Sounds like a good plan to me.
slreno's Avatar slreno 08:37 PM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Sounds like a good plan to me.

thanks again!
by the way i am in dayton.. practically neighbors, just noticed that in your info..
have a good one.
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 08:43 PM 01-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by slreno View Post

thanks again!
by the way i am in dayton.. practically neighbors, just noticed that in your info..
have a good one.
tyt
EPlay's Avatar EPlay 02:00 AM 01-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u View Post

-Zone 2, I see that in Party mode I can output the signal of my what ever is on the main speakers through out the Zone 2 speakers. Great, problem is that normally I use this for outside with the hot tub so I would turn on Zone 2 (or B Speakers in older models) and turn off the inside speakers. I would then turn it up to the desired volume. Now if I do that I turn up the volume inside also. So it can get pretty loud when I just want to have some quite music outside. Is there a way to do this? Turn off the inside speakers? While still playing audio outside?

I may have missed an answer, but can you just select to play Zone 2 outside without "Party Mode" so the mains don't play?

For whatever reason, I have suddenly had a hankering to update my receiver. I have a 661 right now and had another Yamaha before that. I am not necessarily committed to Yamaha, but from scrutinizing specs for about a week now, they seem to have more of the features I want and I'm familiar with its sound. (I returned an Onkyo before the 661 because it just sounded too "bright" to me.)

I notice a lot of deals seem to come from NewEgg on models no longer carried by Amazon (directly). NewEgg says on the website: "Any return for a refund may be subject to a 15% restocking fee." In everyone's experience, has a receiver return been charged a restocking fee? I feel more comfortable dealing with Amazon or Crutchfield, but NewEgg does seem to have good deals. I do wish everyone had a 60-day return window like Crutchfield. With so many features to test out and "real life", it can be hard to test everything in 30 days.

Do new models come out around mid-year?
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 02:23 AM 01-03-2014
Newegg is OK but Id rather deal with Amazon. You will pay the 15% restocking fee if thats part of the deal. Sometimes you have to pay return shipping as well. It depends so do your research before buying from them.
cessna1466u's Avatar cessna1466u 11:31 AM 01-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPlay View Post

I may have missed an answer, but can you just select to play Zone 2 outside without "Party Mode" so the mains don't play?

For whatever reason, I have suddenly had a hankering to update my receiver. I have a 661 right now and had another Yamaha before that. I am not necessarily committed to Yamaha, but from scrutinizing specs for about a week now, they seem to have more of the features I want and I'm familiar with its sound. (I returned an Onkyo before the 661 because it just sounded too "bright" to me.)

I notice a lot of deals seem to come from NewEgg on models no longer carried by Amazon (directly). NewEgg says on the website: "Any return for a refund may be subject to a 15% restocking fee." In everyone's experience, has a receiver return been charged a restocking fee? I feel more comfortable dealing with Amazon or Crutchfield, but NewEgg does seem to have good deals. I do wish everyone had a 60-day return window like Crutchfield. With so many features to test out and "real life", it can be hard to test everything in 30 days.

Do new models come out around mid-year?


Yes, you can have Zone 2 on without the mains. Its very cool. I have the app for my ipad and have my ipad in a waterproof case. I step outside into the hot tub and am able to control the music outside via Pandora on the receiver and listen to the music on my outdoor speakers while the kids are inside watching a movie or when they are all asleep and don't want the music outside.

I purchased my receiver from Newegg and also my Klipsch RW-12D and some other items. I have never had any problems with them. Never had to return an item either, though.
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 11:34 AM 01-03-2014
I just returned a center that I didnt like. No defect. It cost me $34 to ship it back to Newegg. Not complaining because I knew that may be possible going in. But be aware.
slreno's Avatar slreno 07:20 PM 01-03-2014
can anyone chime in on the sound quality? i have been reading that the yamaha is going to have far superior sound compared to the onkyo 616 i am getting rid of? is it true i can expect a jump in sound quality between these two? that is pretty much what it boils down to for me. if it sounds good then the fact i cannot control each speakers crossover independatley is not a huge deal, even though i am kind of concerned how my quintets are going to sound being stuck set to small which is actually (80 hz from yamaha) when they true setting should be around 100 or 125.
anyway, again as long is sound quality is there i am not concerned.
thanks
cessna1466u's Avatar cessna1466u 07:26 PM 01-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by slreno View Post

can anyone chime in on the sound quality? i have been reading that the yamaha is going to have far superior sound compared to the onkyo 616 i am getting rid of? is it true i can expect a jump in sound quality between these two? that is pretty much what it boils down to for me. if it sounds good then the fact i cannot control each speakers crossover independatley is not a huge deal, even though i am kind of concerned how my quintets are going to sound being stuck set to small which is actually (80 hz from yamaha) when they true setting should be around 100 or 125.
anyway, again as long is sound quality is there i am not concerned.
thanks

The sound quality is great. I have mentioned here before that I noticed a small amount of loss of power or what feels like a loss of power compared to my older RX-V2600 when I moved over to the 773 but it is not very noticeable. Before when I watched a movie, it would have to be at about -18 or so. After with the 773 I watched the same movie at -12 through about -10..... But then yesterday I watched a Blu-Ray through our PS3 for the first time and WOW! It was amazing. I heard things I had never heard before. I do agree that the crossover setting are a bummer. I have very small rear (extras from a HTIB setup from Yamaha) that I am using for now and on some scenes I can tell that if the crossover was set a little higher it might be better for those speakers.

I don't think you will be unhappy with the 773, its a very nice sounding receiver.
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 07:46 PM 01-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by slreno View Post

can anyone chime in on the sound quality? i have been reading that the yamaha is going to have far superior sound compared to the onkyo 616 i am getting rid of? is it true i can expect a jump in sound quality between these two? that is pretty much what it boils down to for me. if it sounds good then the fact i cannot control each speakers crossover independatley is not a huge deal, even though i am kind of concerned how my quintets are going to sound being stuck set to small which is actually (80 hz from yamaha) when they true setting should be around 100 or 125.
anyway, again as long is sound quality is there i am not concerned.
thanks
By far the best way to get better sound quality is to get better speakers. No AVR will make small speakers sound big.
slreno's Avatar slreno 08:05 PM 01-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

By far the best way to get better sound quality is to get better speakers. No AVR will make small speakers sound big.

honestly i am happy with the sound i have now. it is just the half assed funcionality of the onkyo that broke the camels back and made me go to the yamaha. yes i am going to go to take your advise and go to a larger set of surrounds and center soon, at least with a 5 1/4 woofer in them. but i have in no way room to go with larger fronts and moving my f10's to the rear. unless i move my surround rears to the front as presence speakers and i am not sure how i would like presence instead of surround rears? never tried it.

i am SERIOUSLY thinking hard on those klipsch fronts you offered me.. i might try to throw you a offer of 150 for them but let me think on it to see if i can manage some more room here. but i am sure i couldnt go more than 150 .. they are a bit older then my f10's
thanks
steve
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 08:41 PM 01-03-2014
I use front presence and I love it. Stop by and have a listen.
Tags: Yamaha Rx V773wa Receiver
First ... 14  15  16 17  18  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop