Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 906 Old 03-04-2014, 05:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post

Front and 1 rear mhl. Also spotify recently added.

Now I'm feeling really good about getting the Newegg deal on the 773.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 906 Old 03-04-2014, 06:03 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Turn off HDMI Control and ARC in all devices. Run a digital optical cable from tv to 773.

Thanks!
post #813 of 906 Old 03-04-2014, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goes to 11 View Post

Now I'm feeling really good about getting the Newegg deal on the 773.
I recommended that deal so many times newegg sent me a big check. lol I wish.
post #814 of 906 Old 03-04-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Yes and i ignored him and then scrambled to get a decent deal on the 673 but it worked out in the long run.If you cant find a 773 dont pass up on the 673 that is still out there.An amazing performer

Matt
post #815 of 906 Old 03-08-2014, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is back up on Newegg for $340 in case you weren't tempted at $360. I pulled the trigger on one.
post #816 of 906 Old 03-09-2014, 05:11 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricerocket View Post

This is back up on Newegg for $340 in case you weren't tempted at $360. I pulled the trigger on one.

Good going it's a great deal.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
post #817 of 906 Old 03-09-2014, 06:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricerocket View Post

Great deal. Out of stock now.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #818 of 906 Old 03-09-2014, 07:36 AM

and second zone is able to use hdmi inputs
post #819 of 906 Old 03-09-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:

Great deal. Out of stock now.

Sorry, I should've been more specific. They have it badged as the HTR-7065, and it's refurbed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882115429
post #820 of 906 Old 03-12-2014, 01:57 PM

Hello to all.  I just started setting up my new RX-V773.  At this point I only have it setup with a pair of vintage Polk RTA-8Tl....no display or other devices connected except the YWA-10.  My question is regarding the YWA-10 which looses the wifi connection at times.....though it's been better since I config'ed it with a static IP along with the RX-773.  At any rate, it's still flaky when streaming music from my PC running Media Monkey as the server.  My question is how do you guys hardwire to your networks?  Do you leave the YWA-10 connected to receiver using the 2nd port in the YWA-10 for the network cable?  Do you plug the network cable directly into the receiver and give up the ability to use your Android/iPhones to control the receiver?  

post #821 of 906 Old 03-12-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frede162 View Post

Hello to all.  I just started setting up my new RX-V773.  At this point I only have it setup with a pair of vintage Polk RTA-8Tl....no display or other devices connected except the YWA-10.  My question is regarding the YWA-10 which looses the wifi connection at times.....though it's been better since I config'ed it with a static IP along with the RX-773.  At any rate, it's still flaky when streaming music from my PC running Media Monkey as the server.  My question is how do you guys hardwire to your networks?  Do you leave the YWA-10 connected to receiver using the 2nd port in the YWA-10 for the network cable?  Do you plug the network cable directly into the receiver and give up the ability to use your Android/iPhones to control the receiver?  
I have the wifi module and intended to use it in the garage. Using as main unit I liked it so much. I read many times the ywa-10 drops connection. A generic $50 bridge is probably more effective. Unplug it and direct connect internet to 773 if you have a router nearby. I moved my router close by just because of music. Then wifi from the smart phone, tablet or for me laptop computer. Airplay and dlna server interface have been 100% rock solid playing music over wifi for me. No hiccups or disconnects at all. If you have to wifi to the 773 better to sell the ywa-10 and get a generic bridge.
post #822 of 906 Old 03-15-2014, 02:26 AM

Wanted to run by my YPAO level numbers.  Have not seen many and just wanted to compare some.

Running 5.2 with zone 2 hooked up but not on.  All in a computer/bedroom area right now.

FL -         0.0                  4.6'

FR -       +0.5                 4.6'

Center - + 2.0      but I back that down to +1.0 for my taste             5.0'

LR -        +4.5                 6.2'

RR -       +6.0 but I back it to +5.5           6.2'

Subs -    -4.5 turned up to 0    shows 11.6' so I guess it goes by sub 1 hook up?

I am running BIC PL-89II towers, PL-28II center, PL-66 for rears, PL-200 sub far (12') and sub 1200 near (5')

Surround/Rears seemed to be set high.  I have another pair of PL-66 that I could hook up and try but didn't figure it would make a difference.  Is it normal for the surround/rears to be set higher? 

post #823 of 906 Old 03-15-2014, 05:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It depends on many things. Mostly the room. So there is no "normal". But none of those settings seem to point to any kind of problem. If it sounds good Id say youre fine.

post #824 of 906 Old 03-15-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomassiv View Post

Wanted to run by my YPAO level numbers.  Have not seen many and just wanted to compare some.

Running 5.2 with zone 2 hooked up but not on.  All in a computer/bedroom area right now.

FL -         0.0                  4.6'
FR -       +0.5                 4.6'
Center - + 2.0      but I back that down to +1.0 for my taste             5.0'
LR -        +4.5                 6.2'
RR -       +6.0 but I back it to +5.5           6.2'
Subs -    -4.5 turned up to 0    shows 11.6' so I guess it goes by sub 1 hook up?

I am running BIC PL-89II towers, PL-28II center, PL-66 for rears, PL-200 sub far (12') and sub 1200 near (5')

Surround/Rears seemed to be set high.  I have another pair of PL-66 that I could hook up and try but didn't figure it would make a difference.  Is it normal for the surround/rears to be set higher? 

Like bond said, every room is different. Are you really only 4.6 feet away from your speakers? I know when I run ypao it is pretty darn accurate on the distance. The only one it doesn't get right is the subwoofer. As far as the sub being at -4.5 is not a big deal. You want it as close to 0 as possible, try turning down the gain/level on the sub a notch or two to see if it brings that up closer to 0. That is just my opionio.
post #825 of 906 Old 03-15-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u View Post

Like bond said, every room is different. Are you really only 4.6 feet away from your speakers? I know when I run ypao it is pretty darn accurate on the distance. The only one it doesn't get right is the subwoofer. As far as the sub being at -4.5 is not a big deal. You want it as close to 0 as possible, try turning down the gain/level on the sub a notch or two to see if it brings that up closer to 0. That is just my opionio.
Its fine to turn the sub up from -4.5 to 0 if you wanna run it hot. In fact thats recommended.

post #826 of 906 Old 03-15-2014, 02:03 PM

I like the sub running a little hot so all good there.  Yea right now I am crammed in a corner of my spare bedroom lol.  I have dual 24" monitors and they are less than 1' from the towers on either side :/.  The center is sitting about 8" above and  slightly behind them.  Then the zone 2 is hooked up to KLH 12" 3 way towers about another foot outside the main towers with the PL-66s about 2.5' outside of them.   I am trying to get the wife to let me get a hide away couch to put in here and get rid of the bed.  That way I can set up a projector in here, build 2 Marty cubes for it  and move the subs I have now to the living room.  Actually when I am not leaned back in my chair I am probably only 3-3.5' from the towers :/ but I was planning ahead.

post #827 of 906 Old 03-15-2014, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomassiv View Post

I like the sub running a little hot so all good there.  Yea right now I am crammed in a corner of my spare bedroom lol.  I have dual 24" monitors and they are less than 1' from the towers on either side :/.  The center is sitting about 8" above and  slightly behind them.  Then the zone 2 is hooked up to KLH 12" 3 way towers about another foot outside the main towers with the PL-66s about 2.5' outside of them.   I am trying to get the wife to let me get a hide away couch to put in here and get rid of the bed.  That way I can set up a projector in here, build 2 Marty cubes for it  and move the subs I have now to the living room.  Actually when I am not leaned back in my chair I am probably only 3-3.5' from the towers :/ but I was planning ahead.

Holly tight quarters.. 2 Martys in a room like that is going to be awesome!
post #828 of 906 Old 03-16-2014, 06:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

post #829 of 906 Old 03-16-2014, 03:40 PM

Hi everybody. I have the RX-V773 hooked up to my computer by HDMI. In sound properties for the video card i can set the sample rate and bit depth. If I use 16 bit, 48000 Hz everything works fine but if i increase to studio quality i can only select the "stratight" sound program.  I've been reading the manual and searching the net but cant find any info of the maximum setting that allowes sound programs such as "Drama" etc. to be set.

Is there a limit in the receiver on this or has it something to do with my computer or my HDMI connection?

By the way this is my first posting but i have been reading and learning a lot from this tread, thank you all :)

post #830 of 906 Old 03-17-2014, 01:45 PM

I am stumped on how to connect my "new" RX-773. I bought this thing back at Christmas time and finally got some time last night to get it out the box to replace my old Onkyo HTIB receiver. So far I just hooked up my DirecTV box to HDMI2 and my dedicated Media PC to HDMI1 since that is my BluRay, WMC, etc. device and I already am a little disappointed. I usually have two 15' HDMI cables running direct from my DirecTV and Media center PC to the TV and the picture quality is perfect. Last night due to a shortage of cables I used that freebie that comes with the DTV box to be my cable to the receiver, then from receiver to TV via the 15' since it is above my fireplace. The HD content was much worse and the SD was unwatchable. I swapped in another 10' "new" cable that came with my TV mount and it looked better but still not near as good as direct to the TV. I didn't even try to check the PQ of the media PC as it was late and I spent a long time stretching half into a built in cabinet and moving many wires. Before I start ordering lots of cables I want some advice on two things.

1) Is there really a quality difference between $5 and $50 cables? Digital is digital right?

2) This receiver basically came with no manual, just a few sheets of notes about Rhapsody, Pandora, etc. I have no clue what some of the buttons are doing on the front panel like "Pure Direct" and "Straight". That sounds like the same thing to me.... some kind of direct pass through? Any suggestions?

3) I am new to audio over HDMI and ARC, what is the best inputs to use to hook up my DirecTV, Media PC, and Wii. The media PC will also be used for music. Is the audio from HDMI all I will ever need or should I hook up good old stereo RCA cables for windows sounds, web browsing, etc. If so where would I hook it up? I assume that you could maybe assign AV 1, 2 etc to be the stereo audio for HDMI 2 or something similar right?

4) I was poking in the menu and there was an amp setting that seemed to choose between "Basic" whatever that means, "5.1 w extra amp" and "7.1". Since I only have a 5.1 speaker setup I chose 5.1 but what is the extra amp thing? I would also like to hook up my wireless headphones to an RCA audio out so I don't have to plug it into my headphone jack and kill everyone else's audio since my wife likes TV real low late at night and I like to hear it. I was using the RCA out on the DTV receiver before. The audio outs on this receiver don't seem to put anything out to my headphones.
post #831 of 906 Old 03-17-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEQuest View Post

I am stumped on how to connect my "new" RX-773. I bought this thing back at Christmas time and finally got some time last night to get it out the box to replace my old Onkyo HTIB receiver. So far I just hooked up my DirecTV box to HDMI2 and my dedicated Media PC to HDMI1 since that is my BluRay, WMC, etc. device and I already am a little disappointed. I usually have two 15' HDMI cables running direct from my DirecTV and Media center PC to the TV and the picture quality is perfect. Last night due to a shortage of cables I used that freebie that comes with the DTV box to be my cable to the receiver, then from receiver to TV via the 15' since it is above my fireplace. The HD content was much worse and the SD was unwatchable. I swapped in another 10' "new" cable that came with my TV mount and it looked better but still not near as good as direct to the TV. I didn't even try to check the PQ of the media PC as it was late and I spent a long time stretching half into a built in cabinet and moving many wires. Before I start ordering lots of cables I want some advice on two things.

1) Is there really a quality difference between $5 and $50 cables? Digital is digital right?

2) This receiver basically came with no manual, just a few sheets of notes about Rhapsody, Pandora, etc. I have no clue what some of the buttons are doing on the front panel like "Pure Direct" and "Straight". That sounds like the same thing to me.... some kind of direct pass through? Any suggestions?

3) I am new to audio over HDMI and ARC, what is the best inputs to use to hook up my DirecTV, Media PC, and Wii. The media PC will also be used for music. Is the audio from HDMI all I will ever need or should I hook up good old stereo RCA cables for windows sounds, web browsing, etc. If so where would I hook it up? I assume that you could maybe assign AV 1, 2 etc to be the stereo audio for HDMI 2 or something similar right?

4) I was poking in the menu and there was an amp setting that seemed to choose between "Basic" whatever that means, "5.1 w extra amp" and "7.1". Since I only have a 5.1 speaker setup I chose 5.1 but what is the extra amp thing? I would also like to hook up my wireless headphones to an RCA audio out so I don't have to plug it into my headphone jack and kill everyone else's audio since my wife likes TV real low late at night and I like to hear it. I was using the RCA out on the DTV receiver before. The audio outs on this receiver don't seem to put anything out to my headphones.

I can help with 1 or two of these. On the first one have you tried to turn off processing? I have directv as well and I noticed that with direct tv the receiver gets confused sometimes and yes standard non-hd channels suck but are watchable. I have noticed that the upconverting doesn't really work that great when it comes to directv. Turn the processing off and try it again. I also had to at times turn off the receiver and turn it back on.

On #4 you can go in and choose where you want the audio of a certain input to come out from. I choose HDMI1 but you can also add audio 1, 2 etc. Try that.
post #832 of 906 Old 03-17-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

1) Yes. You do not need expensive HDMI cables. The Mediabridges ones from Amazon or the ones you can get at Monoprice.com work fine.
4) The Basic setting is what you need. Run YPAO as soon as you get all your speakers placed properly.
Your headphones wont work in the Audio Out. I think you need an analog to digital adaptor or something.

post #833 of 906 Old 03-17-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:

1) Yes. You do not need expensive HDMI cables. The Mediabridges ones from Amazon or the ones you can get at Monoprice.com work fine.
4) The Basic setting is what you need. Run YPAO as soon as you get all your speakers placed properly.
Your headphones wont work in the Audio Out. I think you need an analog to digital adaptor or something.

Thank you for the help. At least I know not to keep trying with the headphones. Just to sure the basic setting still lets me use the zone 2 speakers correct? I plan to do the calibration when I get off work tonight but it was late and kids were sleeping last night. I guess the freebie from DirecTV must have been damaged since it really degraded picture quality. Any clue as to why my video quality has dropped since going through the receiver?
post #834 of 906 Old 03-17-2014, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1312
Quote:

Thank you for the help. At least I know not to keep trying with the headphones. Just to sure the basic setting still lets me use the zone 2 speakers correct? I plan to do the calibration when I get off work tonight but it was late and kids were sleeping last night. I guess the freebie from DirecTV must have been damaged since it really degraded picture quality. Any clue as to why my video quality has dropped since going through the receiver?

Video quality should not be effected if you have it set of direct.

You can download the manual from here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1bhpgksrwjuns96/downloadfile.pdf
post #835 of 906 Old 03-17-2014, 03:06 PM

I didn't see a different in quality but I was tired. I will try switching off and on direct and see what happens. I thought that was for audio settings like "Concert Hall" or "movie" etc. One thing I must admit is I instantly heard better clarity of the center channel and separation of left right, etc. and that was low without doing YPAO audio setup yet.
post #836 of 906 Old 03-17-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1312
Quote:

I didn't see a different in quality but I was tired. I will try switching off and on direct and see what happens. I thought that was for audio settings like "Concert Hall" or "movie" etc. One thing I must admit is I instantly heard better clarity of the center channel and separation of left right, etc. and that was low without doing YPAO audio setup yet.

You can not switch to direct off the remote...that is for audio. You must enter setup, scroll over to video settings and make sure the video mode is set to direct and not processing.
post #837 of 906 Old 03-17-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

You can not switch to direct off the remote...that is for audio. You must enter setup, scroll over to video settings and make sure the video mode is set to direct and not processing.

OK that may be it. I will definitely try that first thing! It may be trying to upscale or something.
post #838 of 906 Old 03-17-2014, 04:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

OK that may be it. I will definitely try that first thing! It may be trying to upscale or something.
Also if its just your cable box that doesnt look good check your cable box settings.

post #839 of 906 Old 03-18-2014, 07:42 AM

I checked and there is no enhancement turned on. DirecTV is not the best but there is definitely a drop in PQ for non HD content. Real good HD stuff looks OK, hard to tell for sure unless I switched back and forth between receiver and straight from DTV to TV, I will need another 15' cable to test that. But SD content looks worse for sure. I am replacing the short cable that goes from DirecTV to receiver since that is the "newest" one in the equation. I think there will always be some sort of drop when you add another cable and another piece of equipment in the run. I went from one cable between DTV and TV to 2 cables and a receiver now. That is the one thing about having a 75" TV, everything is noticeable.
post #840 of 906 Old 03-18-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:

. . . I think there will always be some sort of drop when you add another cable and another piece of equipment in the run. . . .

My opinion -- based on experience and a past career as an IS guy -- is that with digital there is no reason for this to be true. You have to remember that all of the zeros and ones that bits and bytes are comprised of simply represent "on" or "off," so the data is either getting there or it isn't. In other words, as long as any digital processing is turned off and the cables are good enough not to corrupt the data, what comes out should be identical to what went in.

As to your earlier gripe that no instructions came with the AVR, there's a detailed pdf of the manual on the disc that came with the receiver, or as basshead81 said, you can download it.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V773wa Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page