"The Official Yamaha RX-V773 Thread" - Page 32 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #931 of 948 Old 11-28-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Question about set up. I have had this receiver for a while now and had it set up with small front speakers. Just this week I upgraded to larger fronts and ran YPAO again and it set the front to large as well as the center. I like this because I want to be able to use the receiver in 2 channel mode for music along with the external amp for the subs. The problem I noticed is that once it did this it set the subs to 110hz and the fronts to large. Once I played some music on 2 channel nothing was coming from the subs. I checked all levels and all was great. I found that if I changed the fronts to smalls then the subs start to work, also if I turn on something called Extra Bass in the setup I also get the subs going. I don't remember this Extra Bass being there before? Is this an update and the correct way to have this set up? I would rather have my subs at 90hz and the fronts at Large but I do have to have the Extra Bass on? Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 948 Old 11-29-2014, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
trying to get one of these receivers working with a sony soundbar, 50" emerson led tv (i think non arc and non optic output) and an lg blu ray player (non optical output)

what are my options?
i've been told i cant use bluetooth even if i buy the adapter (to watch tv and audio)

I assumed if you connect a blu ray player to the receiver via hdmi you would always have optical output from the reciever regardless of what hdmi you have selected?

Is there a way to configure the audio output on an hdmi to optic output so I can run to the soundbar to hopefully fix my problem? (lets say I want to hookup a ps3 also or ps4, will this have to be configured per output?) if so can i have multiple hmdi's with the same optic output?

I've played with this thing for a while for a friend and can't get it to work.
(I thought I read the optical was an input not output on the receiver?)

Thanks in advance. I've read a bunch of stuff and this place is my last hope.

post #933 of 948 Old 11-29-2014, 09:53 AM

i just called emerson, they said the tv should have an optic output (brother just got the tv yesterday, I was trying to config this setup with a optima projector system prior). I think I understand now, you don't usually use a soundbar with a receiver.
I should be able to connect his hdmi devices into his tv and use the optic from the tv out to the soundbar. unless he moves the soundbar to his room and buys a 5.1/5.2/7.1/7.2 which he should for his living room.
post #934 of 948 Old 11-29-2014, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u View Post
Question about set up. I have had this receiver for a while now and had it set up with small front speakers. Just this week I upgraded to larger fronts and ran YPAO again and it set the front to large as well as the center. I like this because I want to be able to use the receiver in 2 channel mode for music along with the external amp for the subs. The problem I noticed is that once it did this it set the subs to 110hz and the fronts to large. Once I played some music on 2 channel nothing was coming from the subs. I checked all levels and all was great. I found that if I changed the fronts to smalls then the subs start to work, also if I turn on something called Extra Bass in the setup I also get the subs going. I don't remember this Extra Bass being there before? Is this an update and the correct way to have this set up? I would rather have my subs at 90hz and the fronts at Large but I do have to have the Extra Bass on? Any ideas?
OK, I can't verify all of this just now, because Christmas music is being played and I'll get shouted down if I start tinkering with it (as much as I'd like to). So, a few points:

- YPAO will set any reasonably capable speakers to large. I'm not sure what low frequency extension it's looking for, but you can simply manually set them to small afterwards. In fact, if you're using a good sub you probably want to set them to small even if they're towers (opinions differ on this).

- If the speakers are set to large, the sub output only outputs the LFE channel. 2-channel music doesn't have an LFE channel, so nothing from the subs in that case. This assumes that Extra Bass is off--see next point.

- If you engage Extra Bass, the subs will become engaged even if the speakers are set to large. What bothers some people with this is that now the speakers and the sub are reproducing the low frequencies. It could get boomy or otherwise not sound quite right. Extra Bass was probably not available before because your speakers were set to small and EB has no purpose in that case (lows already go to the sub, below the crossover).

- One advantage of setting your speakers to small is that the load for producing the low frequencies, which is demanding, is taken off of your AVR and handled by the sub(s).

- Your speaker specs should be consulted when determining your crossover. YPAO will test your speakers' capabilities, but you should check what the -3dB point of your speakers is and not set your crossover lower than that. I would suggest maybe setting it about 10 Hz above the -3 dB point (others may offer different advice here).

- If you set your speakers to small and adjust the crossover to a suitable setting, you should get bass from your sub from 2-channel music (maybe not if you're using Pure Direct, though--not sure about that just now. It may or may not override the AVR bass management, although I'm thinking not.)

Summary: I suggest you set all of your speakers to small if you have a decent sub, even if you have capable speakers. You can manually change this after running YPAO. Choose a crossover appropriate to your speakers; the one YPAO picks is probably fine, but check your speaker specs anyway. If you really like the sound from Extra Bass and your fronts set to large for 2-channel listening, you can manually change this when you want and change it back later; it won't mess up the PEQ that YPAO set up.

Enjoy your system.
post #935 of 948 Old 11-30-2014, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkRationally View Post
OK, I can't verify all of this just now, because Christmas music is being played and I'll get shouted down if I start tinkering with it (as much as I'd like to). So, a few points:

- YPAO will set any reasonably capable speakers to large. I'm not sure what low frequency extension it's looking for, but you can simply manually set them to small afterwards. In fact, if you're using a good sub you probably want to set them to small even if they're towers (opinions differ on this).

- If the speakers are set to large, the sub output only outputs the LFE channel. 2-channel music doesn't have an LFE channel, so nothing from the subs in that case. This assumes that Extra Bass is off--see next point.

- If you engage Extra Bass, the subs will become engaged even if the speakers are set to large. What bothers some people with this is that now the speakers and the sub are reproducing the low frequencies. It could get boomy or otherwise not sound quite right. Extra Bass was probably not available before because your speakers were set to small and EB has no purpose in that case (lows already go to the sub, below the crossover).

- One advantage of setting your speakers to small is that the load for producing the low frequencies, which is demanding, is taken off of your AVR and handled by the sub(s).

- Your speaker specs should be consulted when determining your crossover. YPAO will test your speakers' capabilities, but you should check what the -3dB point of your speakers is and not set your crossover lower than that. I would suggest maybe setting it about 10 Hz above the -3 dB point (others may offer different advice here).

- If you set your speakers to small and adjust the crossover to a suitable setting, you should get bass from your sub from 2-channel music (maybe not if you're using Pure Direct, though--not sure about that just now. It may or may not override the AVR bass management, although I'm thinking not.)

Summary: I suggest you set all of your speakers to small if you have a decent sub, even if you have capable speakers. You can manually change this after running YPAO. Choose a crossover appropriate to your speakers; the one YPAO picks is probably fine, but check your speaker specs anyway. If you really like the sound from Extra Bass and your fronts set to large for 2-channel listening, you can manually change this when you want and change it back later; it won't mess up the PEQ that YPAO set up.

Enjoy your system.
Thank you for the response. The fronts that I have are the diysoundgroup alchemy mtm. I am running 3 across the fronts. The subs I have are dual 18" Stereo Integrity cubes with a behringer 6000dsp. So when you say to run all the speakers as small, do you mean the center channel as well? Once this is done, how do I go in there and change the crossover frequency for the front? The MTM speakers say 60hz-20kz and I know the subs can handle the lower range and actually do pretty darn good with some of the higher range into 90-100 without sounding too boomy.
post #936 of 948 Old 11-30-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the response. The fronts that I have are the diysoundgroup alchemy mtm. I am running 3 across the fronts. The subs I have are dual 18" Stereo Integrity cubes with a behringer 6000dsp. So when you say to run all the speakers as small, do you mean the center channel as well? Once this is done, how do I go in there and change the crossover frequency for the front? The MTM speakers say 60hz-20kz and I know the subs can handle the lower range and actually do pretty darn good with some of the higher range into 90-100 without sounding too boomy.
Interesting setup. Easily destroys mine in terms of shear ear-shatteringness. Yes, I was thinking of running the center as small as well. Is there a reason why you're thinking of treating it differently?

With regard to changing the crossover for the fronts, there may be some bad news. You may be thinking that each speaker can be set to a different crossover, but the 773 has only one crossover that applies to all speakers. In this regard if you have much smaller surrounds they may limit how low you should go for the crossover. On the other hand, they may not typically carry that much low frequency content and maybe you can get away with a bit of a gap there.

Those subs seem like powerhouses. Based on your front speakers, a crossover of 60 or 80 Hz would seem about right. It doesn't specify whether 60 Hz is the -3 dB point--generally it is, but sometimes companies spec a -6 dB point. Based on the cone size, I'd say they're probably good down to 60 Hz. If you have smaller surrounds, you might consider setting the crossover to 80 Hz, though.

As for going to 100 or more for the crossover, that's up to you. Your speakers are highly efficient, so a lower crossover shouldn't load your AVR too much. The 773 does not have stereo sub out (both outputs are just a single output split inside the chassis), so as you increase the crossover you increase the range of frequencies that are in mono. The frequencies also become more and more localizable, so that it becomes more and more apparent that it's coming from the sub as opposed to bass that disappears (dual subs with a Behringer should minimize this, though). Another thing that I found is that if you run your subs hot, as most do, that the low end of male voices comes through the sub and sounds boomy and unnatural. I like to keep my crossover under 100 Hz for such reasons.

In the end, though, you seem to have a kicking setup and we can't hear it, so find what sounds best to you. Based on your setup, I'm guessing you know what you're doing, so mostly I'm just adding points about the 773 functionality.
post #937 of 948 Old 11-30-2014, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkRationally View Post
Interesting setup. Easily destroys mine in terms of shear ear-shatteringness. Yes, I was thinking of running the center as small as well. Is there a reason why you're thinking of treating it differently?

With regard to changing the crossover for the fronts, there may be some bad news. You may be thinking that each speaker can be set to a different crossover, but the 773 has only one crossover that applies to all speakers. In this regard if you have much smaller surrounds they may limit how low you should go for the crossover. On the other hand, they may not typically carry that much low frequency content and maybe you can get away with a bit of a gap there.

Those subs seem like powerhouses. Based on your front speakers, a crossover of 60 or 80 Hz would seem about right. It doesn't specify whether 60 Hz is the -3 dB point--generally it is, but sometimes companies spec a -6 dB point. Based on the cone size, I'd say they're probably good down to 60 Hz. If you have smaller surrounds, you might consider setting the crossover to 80 Hz, though.

As for going to 100 or more for the crossover, that's up to you. Your speakers are highly efficient, so a lower crossover shouldn't load your AVR too much. The 773 does not have stereo sub out (both outputs are just a single output split inside the chassis), so as you increase the crossover you increase the range of frequencies that are in mono. The frequencies also become more and more localizable, so that it becomes more and more apparent that it's coming from the sub as opposed to bass that disappears (dual subs with a Behringer should minimize this, though). Another thing that I found is that if you run your subs hot, as most do, that the low end of male voices comes through the sub and sounds boomy and unnatural. I like to keep my crossover under 100 Hz for such reasons.

In the end, though, you seem to have a kicking setup and we can't hear it, so find what sounds best to you. Based on your setup, I'm guessing you know what you're doing, so mostly I'm just adding points about the 773 functionality.
Thank you for the compliments. The speakers and subs are amazing. I love DIY and the ability to get pretty decent for a fraction of the cost of high end. I don't have high end money so DIY was the way to go for me. I set the fronts, rears and center as small. Set the crossover to 80, which I now know that setting it to 80 is basically telling the 773 that everything 80 and up will be handled by the speakers and 80 down will the sub? I then messed with the levels and ran YPAO again and it sounds pretty darn good. Thanks again for all your help I appreciate it.
post #938 of 948 Old 12-01-2014, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the compliments. The speakers and subs are amazing. I love DIY and the ability to get pretty decent for a fraction of the cost of high end. I don't have high end money so DIY was the way to go for me. I set the fronts, rears and center as small. Set the crossover to 80, which I now know that setting it to 80 is basically telling the 773 that everything 80 and up will be handled by the speakers and 80 down will the sub? I then messed with the levels and ran YPAO again and it sounds pretty darn good. Thanks again for all your help I appreciate it.
Excellent, glad you got things sounding good. Yes, you have it right about what the crossover does.
post #939 of 948 Old 12-01-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 925
Quote:
If you ran YPAO after setting all speakers to small it probably set some speakers back to large. Make sure all speakers are still set to small and xover to 80.
post #940 of 948 Old 12-01-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
If you ran YPAO after setting all speakers to small it probably set some speakers back to large. Make sure all speakers are still set to small and xover to 80.

Yes you are correct I went back and change them too small and change the crossover to 80. Thank you both for all your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #941 of 948 Old 12-12-2014, 04:18 AM

Rec Out on RX-V773

Hello anybody!

I'm trying desperately to get any kind of signal out of my Yamaha RX-V773 from the Rec Out audio or Audio/Video. Trying to record some vinyl onto a CF card and don't know if these outputs need to be activated in any way. The manual seems to suggest it is always on but I don't get a peep out of mine!

Any suggestions?

Cheers.
post #942 of 948 Old 12-12-2014, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hey all!
After reading alot in this thread I bought a used 773 and so far I am very happy with the sound quality but I am having problems running a couple TV's with it!

It is in my RV, I have a brand new build HTPC connected to it. I am going HDMI out of the PC into the Yamaha, then using both HDMI outputs to send video signal to two Samsung TVs.

I can not get either TV to scale correctly when I run the HDMI through the 773. I have tried changing the resolution to every setting in Windows, made sure it is just passing through the signal on the AVR.

Both TV's are newer samsungs, one new 40" led and few years older 24" one. I only need to feed video to these, no audio.

Today I borrowed a powered HDMI splitter and that seemed to get us a bit closer, but am I missing something, or do I need to get a video card with dual HDMI out to power the monitors and set resolution on them correctly and using last HMDI out on HTPC that I have now to just feed the audio to the 773 AVR?

Thanks for any help, I am stumped.
post #943 of 948 Old 12-12-2014, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
D'oh! Figured out by using the TV remote I could change picture to fit screen. Works full screen now, slightly pixilated on the big tv tho...any recommendations on maximizing video performance when using an HTPC? I am brand new to this, just using the Intel onboard graphics and HDMI...it is a pretty new Haswell processor!
Thanks for any tips!
post #944 of 948 Old 12-13-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 196
^ What resolution is the PC outputting (as shown under screen resolution in Windows), and what exactly do you mean by "cannot get either TV to scale correctly"?
post #945 of 948 Old 01-16-2015, 11:32 PM

Liked: 13
Note: When using 2 TVs, HDMI defaults both to the one with the lowest resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto2 View Post
Hey all!
After reading alot in this thread I bought a used 773 and so far I am very happy with the sound quality but I am having problems running a couple TV's with it!

It is in my RV, I have a brand new build HTPC connected to it. I am going HDMI out of the PC into the Yamaha, then using both HDMI outputs to send video signal to two Samsung TVs.

I can not get either TV to scale correctly when I run the HDMI through the 773. I have tried changing the resolution to every setting in Windows, made sure it is just passing through the signal on the AVR.

Both TV's are newer samsungs, one new 40" led and few years older 24" one. I only need to feed video to these, no audio.

Today I borrowed a powered HDMI splitter and that seemed to get us a bit closer, but am I missing something, or do I need to get a video card with dual HDMI out to power the monitors and set resolution on them correctly and using last HMDI out on HTPC that I have now to just feed the audio to the 773 AVR?

Thanks for any help, I am stumped.
post #946 of 948 Old 01-17-2015, 07:28 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto2 View Post
D'oh! Figured out by using the TV remote I could change picture to fit screen. Works full screen now, slightly pixilated on the big tv tho...any recommendations on maximizing video performance when using an HTPC? I am brand new to this, just using the Intel onboard graphics and HDMI...it is a pretty new Haswell processor!
Thanks for any tips!
Might also check to see if "overscan" (sometimes called something different) is off on both TV's

post #947 of 948 Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM

Hello,
I am a new member and english is not my first language.
I post here what I posted in an other thread who maybe was not the right one.

My system:
Yamaha RX-V773
dvd player: Panasonic DT500
speakers (5.1) PSB Alpha B and sub PSB 5ei
home theater room: not so good, small, full of compromises .

I have read and learn a lot on this Forum and many others. I ran YPAO many times without great succes until I decided to upload my firmware version from 1.22 to 1.85 versions. Despite the fact that Yamaha official site only tell that this version add some streaming services, it makes miracles with YPAO especially when used in multiposition settings.

My questions:
1-Did you noticed that select"test tone" activated in your receiver and after that, select PEQ YPAO FLAT put a noise in each channel that you can select. Is this noise (it sound very different than the pink nois provided on"level" selected) the same than the pink noise provide by the receiver includind the EQ curves? Can I use it to chekc the level of each channel even it does not sound like the pink noise?

2- To double check the levels choosen by YPAO, I burned a cd with Reatraps test tones (20 -200hz) and the pink noise file provided and tried to playback through my dvd palyer. I can put it one channel at a time. It goes only through the Center speaker or, if I select stereo in the mode options of the receiver, it is in the front speakers L and R.
How do I playback the pink noise in each channel?
Thanks for your help
post #948 of 948 Unread Today, 12:10 PM

Hello again,
while I am waiting for some advises (see my post #947, please help !) I read nearly all the posts of this thread and I am surprised that (I think) nobody seems to play with all the cinema dsp 3d modes parameter adjustments (a bunch of it !) for many mode.
For example, if "sci-fi" or "standard" is selectec for movies, you can open a windows with at least 5 or 6 options among those there is room dimensions, sound delays etc.

see:

1-Does anyone have experiment those settings?
2- Where can I found informations about each settings, how to use it, what is the standard for small or large room and the relative reference to 1 in those settings etc.? I know that most recents Yam receivers got an app with iphone to play with those settings (see the add on youtube and give all the adjustments needed; but it is not available for V773.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V773wa Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page