post #91 of 944 Old 05-25-2013, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlife View Post

And my thanks to both of you! I just placed my order for the A820 with NewEgg. MMichael, I was about to ask almost that identical question when I finally got to the end of this thread only to find the answer!

Sorry to the v773 guys for absconding with the thread a bit. I have been reviewing AVRs for just over a week now. Had pretty much settled on the A1020, but was trying to convince myself that it actually would be the right box. Have been all over the "comparable" Sonys, Marantz', Denons, and Onkyos as well as bouncing between the these three Yamahas. Just could not get myself out of the Yamaha groove -- I've lived with the Yamaha rep for too long.

What I'm replacing is my aged, out of date (pre-HDMI) Lexicon DC1 preamp/AV controller which has begun to play a few tricks on me and has a very testy remote without which you really can't run the box. Lots of power amps behind the Lex (100W for each channel) and a 7.2 Mirage (old brand GOOD Mirage) matched speaker setup. I'm retired now and just don't have the bucks to play at that level anymore. And not the ears, either!

So thanks again -- that's enough of me taking time in this thread. OH! But more thanks deserved here in this thread. This is where today I stumbled on the NewEgg super deals and got registered. The net result is a new A820 on the way.

Rich

Hey, Rich. I'm early retired myself (2004). It's a tough decision. Hoping we made the right one...

Guessing the 1020 would be incredibly good, too. A lot more bones for that AVR, though.

mm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 944 Old 05-26-2013, 11:41 AM

Liked: 12
MMichael, Truly a tough decision -- takes good planning. Hope it's been good for you and will continue to be. As for me, I can't much ask for more -- the great bear on my back finally pounced a month ago -- heart attack (no real damage) and triple bypass. So for me, the decision was right to retire and i just got the proverbial new lease on life.

I think you're right about that 1020, but at double (even if there was a sale) this price for the 820, I'm happy to grab what I can. The V773 everyone has been talking about here was a mighty temptation and I was delighted about your question and especially Bond's answer. While I could see for myself that his response was likely right, it's a great thing to be able to get confirmation here from one of those who looks at these devices on a regular basis.

So I'm off to download the manual and move my discussions over to the The "official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A710/810/1010/2010/3010 thread as there is apparently no A820 thread. The The "Official" Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1020, RX-A2020 and RX-A3020 Thread seems oriented more to the higher end 2020 and 3020 with which the 1020 shares some architecture.

The older thread has welcomed A820 questions, but hasn't had many takers yet. See you there perhaps?

Rich
post #93 of 944 Old 05-26-2013, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Hi, Rich. Glad to hear you didn't have heart damage from your heart attack. I pulled the ripcord for somewhat similar reasons. Reduced income took some adjustment - but frankly less than I expected. Well, at least so far... cool.gif

Is there an A820 thread? Link appreciated, if so. Will definitely see you there. I searched and thought I only saw mostly oblique splinter threads. Maybe we should start an "Official Yamaha A820 Thread"? Or maybe I missed it somehow. The search tool in AVS gives me fits... like in the following:

Question for all:

I've searched the following and mostly only found too much noise to wade through. Is it true that the supplied microphone for YPAO tends to be kinda' cheap? If yes, is there a better mic anyone can recommend that will allow more accurate and/or consistent YPAO sampling?

Thanks!

Micke
post #94 of 944 Old 05-26-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 888
First Ive heard that. It works well for what its supposed to do. I am not aware of any type of substitutes.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #95 of 944 Old 05-26-2013, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

First Ive heard that. It works well for what its supposed to do. I am not aware of any type of substitutes.

Thanks for the info! I'll give the supplied mic a fair chance.

I'd stumbled upon that notion in customer feedback somewhere or other. That person might have simply gotten a bad mic... or doesn't participate in AVS (poor soul) to get good info on how to use it! biggrin.gif
post #96 of 944 Old 05-26-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMichael View Post

Hi, Rich. Glad to hear you didn't have heart damage from your heart attack. I pulled the ripcord for somewhat similar reasons. Reduced income took some adjustment - but frankly less than I expected. Well, at least so far... cool.gif

Is there an A820 thread? Link appreciated, if so. Will definitely see you there. I searched and thought I only saw mostly oblique splinter threads. Maybe we should start an "Official Yamaha A820 Thread"? Or maybe I missed it somehow. The search tool in AVS gives me fits... like in the following:

Question for all:

I've searched the following and mostly only found too much noise to wade through. Is it true that the supplied microphone for YPAO tends to be kinda' cheap? If yes, is there a better mic anyone can recommend that will allow more accurate and/or consistent YPAO sampling?

Thanks!

Micke

Yeah, we actually "practiced" for a year living on one income to decide if we could manage the lower income. It's worked out and now we feel accomplished! smile.gif

On the mike, I think it's like a lot of electronics -- what's the purpose? If it delivers the signal does it have to be audiophile quality? Granted I want quality out of my A820, but I used a $29 SPL meter to configure my $5000 Lexicon. (Now THAT leads to questions, but later.)

On the A820 thread question, I put it directly in three other (potentially relevant?) threads. So far my best answer came from Ross Ridge:
"If there's no thread explicitly covering the RX-A820 then the best place to discuss this receiver would be in the RX-V773 thread. Despite the AVENTAGE branding the RX-A820 is functionally and operationally almost identical to the RX-V773." Bond 007 responded to you similarly yesterday, so maybe this is the thread after all?

What do you think, folks? Is this possible the "Official RX773 and A820 Thread"? I don't want to steal it from Mattyo and others. Below is what I asked:

Ok, I'm kind of a newbie though I've been around here and the DBSForum for a long time -- and I'm going to knowingly violate a fairly well acknowledged forum policy by repeating my question in three different threads. So I'll go for brief.

After a lot of review here at AVSForum and numerous other places, I finally ordered an AVENTAGE A820 from NewEgg at their "gift" price of $499. Happy to pay that over the RX-773 and the A1020, but why has there never been a claim for the A820 in any of these threads? Sure, A820 owners are welcomed, but in reality almost no posts appear for this model.

And now there is a new A830 (and A730) which is obviously why the great price break on the A820.

But where best to apply my thoughts, comments, questions and (actually) a fair amount of expertise among these threads? I have questions, and will pick one thread, but which do you folks think is right?

Rich

/the-official-yamaha-aventage-rx-a710-810-1010-2010-3010-thread
/the-official-yamaha-aventage-rx-a1020-rx-a2020-and-rx-a3020-thread
/yamaha-rx-a720-official-owners-thread
post #97 of 944 Old 05-26-2013, 09:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Any of them would do for most questions. This one would probably be best as a primary. It is reasonably active.

post #98 of 944 Old 05-26-2013, 10:15 PM

So a question relevant to both 773 and 820 (at least based on features and back panels).

The Lexicon that I'm attempting to replace and upgrade with the A820, is a preamp with two following power amps -- an ADCOM GFA 5500 (2 channels at 100+ watts each) and a Rotel RB-985 (5 channels at 100+ watts each). The difference is that the ADCOM cost me $500/channel and the Rotel only $200/channel. So as you might expect, the ADCOM drives my fronts (Mirage OM-6s with built-in powered subs). These are all vintage 1997, but performance is great! The other 5 channels are matched Mirage speakers and I have 2 ACI (Audio Concepts, Inc) Titan powered subs (one currently needs repair).

Despite the several powered subs (all drive to 16Hz), sound is vivid and clear. My living/dining room (theater) is more than 6000 cubic feet (including an overhead loft) laid out in a folded-horn formation (hallway wraps out the back through the bathroom). It's odd, yes, but not half bad.

My question is, since I have these power amps, might I be better off using the A820 pre-outs to feed them (the 773 has comparable pre-outs) rather than the A820 amp(s). I'm still not sure what the configuration of the A820 powers amp(s) are (is). This current system (pre-A820) was paid for with a few years of nice bonuses back then. It was configured by my dealer and was my first system with separates. Now that I'm moving back to an integrated receiver (though from a video controller functional point-of-view it's a nice step up), I'm trying to figure how to best use what I have for audio. Age will probably play a part in how these components sound. The subs aren't much of an issue as they use multiple 8" drivers rather than large, heavy cones.

Obviously, I have a lot of learning, setup and comparison ahead of me and I can certainly use some help.

Rich
post #99 of 944 Old 05-27-2013, 07:55 AM

After more study and manual browsing, I think this is the best place for discussion of the A820. And input from several others around these "Official" threads support that. I've pretty much explained here why I think so, but it all comes down to the fact that the primary differences between the A820 and the RX773 appears to be the Aventage name (with "Fifth Foot") and maybe a little I/O. Functionally, they are very similar. Call them "black boxes" and differences are hard to pin down, though I'd be glad to learn of any.

So I hope to get some advice on my pre-outs questions, potentially assistance with setup if I run into trouble, and perhaps contribute a bit from my (long-) past experience as a communications engineer, programmer, and general all-round A/V enthusiast.

My biggest problem right now is that I ordered my A820 at the beginning of a long holiday weekend. [sigh]

Rich
post #100 of 944 Old 05-27-2013, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I dont use any external amplifiers so I know little of the subject.

post #101 of 944 Old 05-27-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:

I dont use any external amplifiers so I know little of the subject.

Unfortunately, that makes two of us. tongue.gif

I found another Rotel power amp question, so hopefully there may be someone who knows. I'll give this a couple of days here, then maybe transfer the question of a new thread. I'd sure like to hear of experience from these models though.
Rich
post #102 of 944 Old 05-27-2013, 09:14 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

So a question relevant to both 773 and 820 (at least based on features and back panels).

The Lexicon that I'm attempting to replace and upgrade with the A820, is a preamp with two following power amps -- an ADCOM GFA 5500 (2 channels at 100+ watts each) and a Rotel RB-985 (5 channels at 100+ watts each). The difference is that the ADCOM cost me $500/channel and the Rotel only $200/channel. So as you might expect, the ADCOM drives my fronts (Mirage OM-6s with built-in powered subs). These are all vintage 1997, but performance is great! The other 5 channels are matched Mirage speakers and I have 2 ACI (Audio Concepts, Inc) Titan powered subs (one currently needs repair).

Despite the several powered subs (all drive to 16Hz), sound is vivid and clear. My living/dining room (theater) is more than 6000 cubic feet (including an overhead loft) laid out in a folded-horn formation (hallway wraps out the back through the bathroom). It's odd, yes, but not half bad.

My question is, since I have these power amps, might I be better off using the A820 pre-outs to feed them (the 773 has comparable pre-outs) rather than the A820 amp(s). I'm still not sure what the configuration of the A820 powers amp(s) are (is). This current system (pre-A820) was paid for with a few years of nice bonuses back then. It was configured by my dealer and was my first system with separates. Now that I'm moving back to an integrated receiver (though from a video controller functional point-of-view it's a nice step up), I'm trying to figure how to best use what I have for audio. Age will probably play a part in how these components sound. The subs aren't much of an issue as they use multiple 8" drivers rather than large, heavy cones.

Obviously, I have a lot of learning, setup and comparison ahead of me and I can certainly use some help.

Rich

1. Which sounds best?
2. Which "looks" best? (How much equipment do you want to have on display?)
post #103 of 944 Old 05-27-2013, 12:12 PM

Liked: 10
I just received my RX-V773 from Newegg as well. It is replacing my sacred Pioneer Elite VSX-03 receiver because the Pio won't handle 3D video and I have to keep changing wires on the BD to do so ......

So I was looking for something to replace that receiver, but not as expensive. I have a 7.2 setup, and I use an Emotiva UPA-200 amp for my fronts (all Mirage speakers btw). I wanted to get an Emotiva UMC-200 processor to go with the amp, but the UPA-200 amp is only 2-channel, so I had to spring for a receiver.

I narrowed it down to another Pioneer receiver, a Denon 2313, or this Yamaha RX-V773. I disregarded the Pioneer as I'm tired of their lackluster customer service, and the Denon didn't have the Pre-Outs I needed for the Emotiva amp. I'd have to bump up to the Denon 3313 for that ..... and now we're into the bucks..... I happen to see this Yamaha at Newegg for a great price and decided to spring for it after all of the glowing reviews.

I hooked it up the other night and started putting it through the motions. I use a 2-sub setup as well, so the dual Sub-pre/outs came in handy. Ran the YPAO room correction, and went from there.

My intitial reaction was WOW !!!! The separation and imaging were astounding. The clarity was on another level. I immediately heard things I hadn't heard before and I am (was) a Pioneer disciple. Ran a few movies through it for testing (King Kong, Lord of the Rings, Avatar) and once again, the steering of the sound effects were absolutely incredible. I had not heard my movies this way before even though the Pioneer is an excellent receiver.

Now, as some of you may do, I'm second guessing my purchase. While the Yamaha seems surreal in what it does, I seem to think there is "something" missing. I'm not sure what that is, and it could be buyer's remorse, but if I had to describe it, I'd say that this receiver is a bit on the brighter side of things and the warmth of the Pioneer is what I'm missing (or think I'm missing). I will say that any sub-par recordings put through this thing sound really bad, while above average recordings sound incredible (that goes without saying), but the Pioneer seemed to have toned that concept down for me a bit.

My question is: I really didn't want to pay the price of the Denon 3313, but should I have gone that route based on what I'm talking about above ? Or is it just that I have a new receiver and I need to get used to the different sound of the Yamaha vs the Pioneer ? I have owned Denon receivers in the past but not since I went over to Pioneer land many moons ago.

My user ratio is probably > 60% music, 40% movies but I am equally picky about how both sound. Thanks for your responses.

5/27/13 --

Thanks for all of the responses..... in the end, I couldn't settle down with the V-773. It just wasn't "full" enough for me....... as I was preparing to return it, I noticed the Pioneer SC-1222 went on sale, and I pulled the plug.
I haven't gotten it yet, but I'm most comfortable with the Pioneer / Elite sound. It should be here on Wed. I'm hoping that those Class D amps provide me with that "fullness" that seemed to be lacking on the Yamaha.

The only thing missing on the Pio are the trigger inputs, and the GUI overlay for TV. I was impressed that the Yamaha had both, and I can't figure out for the life of me why Pioneer didn't include both on this model.

Time will tell but I guess I'll be over on the Pioneer side of things on the forum once I get it ....... thanks again !!!!
post #104 of 944 Old 05-27-2013, 03:59 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD9000 View Post

I just received my RX-V773 from Newegg as well. It is replacing my sacred Pioneer Elite VSX-03 receiver because the Pio won't handle 3D video and I have to keep changing wires on the BD to do so ......

So I was looking for something to replace that receiver, but not as expensive. I have a 7.2 setup, and I use an Emotiva UPA-200 amp for my fronts (all Mirage speakers btw). I wanted to get an Emotiva UMC-200 processor to go with the amp, but the UPA-200 amp is only 2-channel, so I had to spring for a receiver.

I narrowed it down to another Pioneer receiver, a Denon 2313, or this Yamaha RX-V773. I disregarded the Pioneer as I'm tired of their lackluster customer service, and the Denon didn't have the Pre-Outs I needed for the Emotiva amp. I'd have to bump up to the Denon 3313 for that ..... and now we're into the bucks..... I happen to see this Yamaha at Newegg for a great price and decided to spring for it after all of the glowing reviews.

I hooked it up the other night and started putting it through the motions. I use a 2-sub setup as well, so the dual Sub-pre/outs came in handy. Ran the YPAO room correction, and went from there.

My intitial reaction was WOW !!!! The separation and imaging were astounding. The clarity was on another level. I immediately heard things I hadn't heard before and I am (was) a Pioneer disciple. Ran a few movies through it for testing (King Kong, Lord of the Rings, Avatar) and once again, the steering of the sound effects were absolutely incredible. I had not heard my movies this way before even though the Pioneer is an excellent receiver.

Now, as some of you may do, I'm second guessing my purchase. While the Yamaha seems surreal in what it does, I seem to think there is "something" missing. I'm not sure what that is, and it could be buyer's remorse, but if I had to describe it, I'd say that this receiver is a bit on the brighter side of things and the warmth of the Pioneer is what I'm missing (or think I'm missing). I will say that any sub-par recordings put through this thing sound really bad, while above average recordings sound incredible (that goes without saying), but the Pioneer seemed to have toned that concept down for me a bit.

My question is: I really didn't want to pay the price of the Denon 3313, but should I have gone that route based on what I'm talking about above ? Or is it just that I have a new receiver and I need to get used to the different sound of the Yamaha vs the Pioneer ? I have owned Denon receivers in the past but not since I went over to Pioneer land many moons ago.

My user ratio is probably > 60% music, 40% movies but I am equally picky about how both sound. Thanks for your responses.

5/27/13 --

Thanks for all of the responses..... in the end, I couldn't settle down with the V-773. It just wasn't "full" enough for me....... as I was preparing to return it, I noticed the Pioneer SC-1222 went on sale, and I pulled the plug.
I haven't gotten it yet, but I'm most comfortable with the Pioneer / Elite sound. It should be here on Wed. I'm hoping that those Class D amps provide me with that "fullness" that seemed to be lacking on the Yamaha.

The only thing missing on the Pio are the trigger inputs, and the GUI overlay for TV. I was impressed that the Yamaha had both, and I can't figure out for the life of me why Pioneer didn't include both on this model.

Time will tell but I guess I'll be over on the Pioneer side of things on the forum once I get it ....... thanks again !!!!

Goodbye.
Chris Hodges likes this.
post #105 of 944 Old 05-29-2013, 12:39 PM

Liked: 10
Hey Everyone. New person to the world of AVR's and home audio. I've searched the site and web for advice on my proposed setup with this receiver but wanted to try and get a difinitive yes or no.

My new house is almost complete and I have had in ceiling speakers wired for surround in the living room (5.1) and then six other speakers throughout the house (with in wall volume controls). I had them use 14 gauge wire to keep the signal as strong as possible.

My goal was to have one receiver control both the surround in LR and also the whole house audio via Zone 2. I purchased this receiver along with an impedence matching speaker switch thinking i would connect the switch to zone two for the extra speakers. The speakers are 100w 8ohm 8" in ceiling.

I've read where some people say this is acceptable for background listening but not high levels and then others that say it won't work. Am i spinning my wheels with this "one piece" solution or am i going to be forced into getting a second multi zone amp? Any help for a newbie is appreciated. Thanks.
post #106 of 944 Old 05-29-2013, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

5/27/13 --

Well, it sounds like you've made your decision and from what I've read, that AVR is a good one. I had some ideas I've been reading about/collecting regarding preventing YPAO from messing with the odd room or sub, but probably got here late. Best of luck with your Pioneer,

mm

p.s.: 2 days to when my RX-A820 arrives; hoping some of the YPAO tricks I've been reading up on will get it good enough. My former receiver was a pre-HDMI unit named R-V1105. Some good juice, but probably never as well rated as the 820.

My new speakers are pretty easy to drive, so that will probably help. I hear that varies a lot.

The 820 is apparently pretty similar to the 773's, hence my post here.

The 1105 was rated at 85 watts per channel x5 whereas the 820 is rated at more. However, I understand that ratings were maybe more "real" 15+ years ago versus now. If I have to buy a separate amp for the mains or maybe use the 1105 as an amp. I'm ok with that. Wishing it didn't have to be that way... and maybe it won't. We'll see. Not like I crank the system much in the past 7 years. And the mains will require setting the 820 to 6 ohms which is supposed to be ok for 4 ohms per the instructions which is where my mains want to be. Again, trying to "control expectations" but still have some reasonably good hopes.
post #107 of 944 Old 05-30-2013, 10:21 AM

This morning I found out that my a820 won't be delivered until tomorrow (it sat more than 24 hours waiting for UPS pickup). Anyhoo, it will get here and then I can start playing around to see what I have. Good to hear from you folks -- I'm actually not doubting my choice. I think there is enough flexibility in this device that I can be happy with it one way or another. But as you said, the reviews and the Yamaha reputation for equipment and customer service are also worth a lot to me.

As far as the YPAO, yeah, I'm sort of anxious to see what I can get out of that setup also. My Mirage OM-6 fronts (with powered subs) may be a little different to work in -- not sure that setting them to small would be right as that could take the subs out of the picture completely. I also have the two ACI Titan subs (only one currently operating). For those, I expect I'll have to do some manual correction (unless I set all 7 speakers to small which puts me back to the previous).

On setting the independent subs (Titans in my case), I read years back about a procedure that helped tremendously to place my subs as I added them in. I described it here. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1474568/room-mode-calculator-and-speaker-placement#post_23370654 If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd like to hear it as this is exactly what I plan to do again if I have to manually setup the sub(s) post-YPAO.

(At some point I'll post to the right thread my nightmare of a room configuration so ya'll can say, "Sure glad I don't have that mess!" But I think I've got it pretty well managed -- at least pending YPAO, etc. In the end, though, that setup was with a completely different set of equipment except speakers.)

Rich
post #108 of 944 Old 05-30-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:

On setting the independent subs (Titans in my case), I read years back about a procedure that helped tremendously to place my subs as I added them in. I described it here. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1474568/room-mode-calculator-and-speaker-placement#post_23370654 If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd like to hear it as this is exactly what I plan to do again if I have to manually setup the sub(s) post-YPAO.

The "subwoofer crawl" definitely works, but don't forget the vertical component (the sub should be placed at the height your ears will be when listening normally, and you should crawl (not walk) around the room at the height the sub will be placed).

Also I would find the best place for the subs before running YPAO, not after (this would be especially true if the 820 applied EQ to sub, which it doesn't, but I would do it anyway). And don't forget that you'll have to manually set the two subs phase and levels, because the two sub outputs from the 820 are identical (no independent distance or level settings).
post #109 of 944 Old 05-30-2013, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

My A820 also arrives tomorrow, hopefully. I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the functions and settings. I downloaded the pdf manual and have scanned that a couple times, so I'm feeling a little less over my head.

I'm going to begin with the firmware update via USB first, then set impedance to 6 ohms. I guess the only settings are 8 or 6 in the A820 and the manual says the 6 setting will handle 4 ohm speakers like I have. Then start transferring all the connections over.

Also have to pull another set of speaker wires under a section of carpet for the added 2 back speakers. And see if I can get a smart surge strip calibrated with the 820 plugged into the master outlet. I'm going to try banana connectors behind this AVR at long last. Mundane stuff like that.

Micke
post #110 of 944 Old 05-30-2013, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

This morning I found out that my a820 won't be delivered until tomorrow (it sat more than 24 hours waiting for UPS pickup). Anyhoo, it will get here and then I can start playing around to see what I have. Good to hear from you folks -- I'm actually not doubting my choice. I think there is enough flexibility in this device that I can be happy with it one way or another. But as you said, the reviews and the Yamaha reputation for equipment and customer service are also worth a lot to me.

As far as the YPAO, yeah, I'm sort of anxious to see what I can get out of that setup also. My Mirage OM-6 fronts (with powered subs) may be a little different to work in -- not sure that setting them to small would be right as that could take the subs out of the picture completely. I also have the two ACI Titan subs (only one currently operating). For those, I expect I'll have to do some manual correction (unless I set all 7 speakers to small which puts me back to the previous).

(At some point I'll post to the right thread my nightmare of a room configuration so ya'll can say, "Sure glad I don't have that mess!" But I think I've got it pretty well managed -- at least pending YPAO, etc. In the end, though, that setup was with a completely different set of equipment except speakers.)

Rich
Play around with the ypao settings and see what sounds best. Your fronts actually play pretty low so the large setting might be ok. No sub for music, sub for movies. Also try setting them to small, but crossing them over at 40 or 60hz and see how that sounds. Even try large with sub enabled, although that might be too much.
post #111 of 944 Old 05-30-2013, 08:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMichael View Post

My A820 also arrives tomorrow, hopefully. I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the functions and settings. I downloaded the pdf manual and have scanned that a couple times, so I'm feeling a little less over my head.

I'm going to begin with the firmware update via USB first, then set impedance to 6 ohms. I guess the only settings are 8 or 6 in the A820 and the manual says the 6 setting will handle 4 ohm speakers like I have. Then start transferring all the connections over.

Also have to pull another set of speaker wires under a section of carpet for the added 2 back speakers. And see if I can get a smart surge strip calibrated with the 820 plugged into the master outlet. I'm going to try banana connectors behind this AVR at long last. Mundane stuff like that.

Micke
Doesnt sound too bad. It will all be worth it. smile.gif

post #112 of 944 Old 05-31-2013, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 1718
Quote:

5/27/13 --

Did you ever try adjusting the PEQ before deciding to pack it up and return it?
post #113 of 944 Old 05-31-2013, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Doesnt sound too bad. It will all be worth it. smile.gif

Very true. The unit just arrived in apparently perfect shape. Falling back on my forensics background, I can say with certainty it wasn't a returned open box deal. Very happy.

It's going through the firmware update via USB pen drive right now. Up to "S5-1"... The 5-1 sequence is going much more slowly than the rest but is making steady progress. Shoulda' had the unit plugged into a UPS for the firmware update with as bad as the power is out here. Forgot to do that - and the wind is blowing pretty badly... holding breath.

If one uses the time honored "weight equals quality" for AVR's, the old time 1105 was a lot heavier. However, I'm not going to jump to any conclusions. Tech has come a long way since that old AVR and I doubt they have to be an anchor these days to be good.

It was not double boxed. A couple corners of the Yamaha box were bruised but nothing appears to have damaged the unit.

Initial appearance is very clean; much cleaner looking than the old 1105. Looks professional. biggrin.gif

mm

yee hah. Firmware update completed before any power blips. FYI - the long/slow S5-1 sequence was the last sequence. After that, it said "verifying" for a short while, then said "update success". A few moments later, it said "power off... ...the unit". Done.

Setting to 6 ohms speaker impedance setting next... then I'm gonna be outta here for awhile hookin' up all the "spaghetti". Expect I'll be dancin' with YPAO for awhile. Impressions later today or tomorrow 'er whenever. Sure does have a fairly loud main power relay. No biggie on that - might just mean it is a fairly heavy duty relay..
post #114 of 944 Old 05-31-2013, 01:53 PM

Sounds like you're way into having fun, MMichael. Keep at it. I remember when I first got my Lexicon -- I worked at the manual, tried things out and kept adding new capabilities to my system the more I learned. What started out costing me $4500 for the basic Lex, the Mirage OM-6s and a 5 channel surround amp just kept growing. I had a couple of extra speakers, so why not add surrounds. They sounded so good, my wife decided we needed a new TV (instead of the 13" we had stuck in our living room) so a Pioneer Elite 48" pre-HDTV came in. Then came a wall unit to spruce up the room. Over the next several years, the Lex was maxed out with upgrades, a good 2 channel amp for the fronts got added, the surrounds got replaced by Mirage along with a new center and then a nice set of Mirage rears and I had 7 channel system that desperately needed a separate sub. Then it still wasn't quite right (remember 6000 cubic foot space), so another sub. Oh it's a long slippery slope...

I was sitting in my living room listening to music and drinking tequila with my friendly hifi sales guy after this setup was all in place, when he said, ya know, you just need a pair of xxxx subs (at $4500 each) to replace those ACI Titans. But by that time I had worked out a good response. "No, I think I need to prepare for retirement." He had to settle for my tequila.

Everyone has different needs and different means. Enjoy what you have and keep your future in mind.

And no, my A820 didn't come in yet -- UPS gets out here around 4:30pm. That's why I'm rambling.

kriktsemaj99, thanks for your thoughts on the "subwoofer crawl" -- I did have the subwoofer in the right place when I did it, but I'll try the crawling. biggrin.gif I appreciate your advice.

crn3371, again more good suggestions. Funny how as these things get more complex the more you have to play around with the "auto setup". tongue.gif

So some friends came by today and mentioned that their refrigerator has ceased functioning properly. My wife happened to hear that and said, "Oh good! I was just looking at a refrigerator sale and the one I want is 40% off. You can have ours if you'll just take it away." So that must be why I got the A820 on sale...

Rich
post #115 of 944 Old 05-31-2013, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Sincere THANKS going out to Bond 007 for sharing info and for the recommendation for the RX-A820! Very happy, so far. biggrin.gif

Hey, Rich. You're right - I'm definitely having a ball. First time installing banana plugs, but figured out a good procedure in a few. Can't believe I did without those for so long; really secure connection and cleans up the back of the AVR nicely.

Naturally had to switch my PS3 from optical to HDMI, but that was expected. I used HDMI2 in on the Yami, so I thought I'd have to switch that, but the unit detected and switched automatically pronto.

I've been playing some mp3 music I stored on the PS3. With no YPAO adjustments yet, the sound is far superior to my 1105. Mid bass was always a little weak on the 1105. Excellent overall balance with the A820 just right out of the box. Not sure if it detected that the mp3's are only stereo, but that is what it either switched to or is at by default.

Gonna spin Avatar on blu ray and see if the unit auto switches to surround. Also, that will be looking for any darkness the 820 might add to the picture though only 1 or 2 guys have complained about that so far as I know.

Of course, there is always some breath holding when breaking in new electronics - aka, the well known "bath tub failure curve" of new electronics, so I hope it stays healthy and makes it to the statistically more reliable "mid life" portion of the curve.

I'm using 2 subs and the A820 has 2 plug ins for that, so no more Y cable. Though I'm pretty sure those are not separated on the 820, it does get rid of the troublesome Y cable and butt connector.

I can see this thing is going to take a lot of time and tinkering to name all the inputs I'm using. Likewise, YPAO is probably going to be a fun/perplexing puzzle. After the brief experiment with Avatar, I'll probably start walking through the owner's manual setup.

Not sure how I'd do the "subwoofer crawl" with 2 subs. Maybe I'll do that for the one I consider to be the main sub and just keep the other where I "think" it's ok.

Where are you at on placing subs at ear level? I can do that but it will make the one look a bit overbearing in the room.

Anyway, thanks again for your input.

My initial impressions of the A820 are very promising. By the way, I don't think it is lighter than the 1105. I think I got that impression because the 1105 at first had all kinds of heavy wires connected. Not that it really matters. If it's going to sound this good and is reliable, then this is a WIN for me.

My living room isn't terribly large - about 15 x 22 with 8 to 10 foot ceilings. So I think the built in amps will be plenty for me. I live in a super quiet rural neighborhood. My 2 neighbors are 200 feet and 660 feet away. This goes loud enough, I could disturb the nearer neighbor. I don't want to do that. I'm a head trauma survivor and as is typical for such, noise bothers me. So it is not in my best interest to maybe PO someone and then they start showing me what a "real" stereo can do... if ya' know what I mean. I keep the subs lower than I like for that reason. Some of the thunder in movie sound tracks can be overbearing for me and I sure don't want to be annoying my neighbors with that. Not that they are picky neighbors; to the contrary, very friendly people. Just doing my part to keep it that way. Truthfully, I can't tolerate loud music or soundtracks any more due to the trauma induced hearing problems. It's part of the reason I built this home cinema. I felt like soundtracks at movie theaters were going to make my ears bleed - or at minimum, it was unquestionably further damaging my hearing adding to my extant problems. While way too loud, movie theater sound isn't very good, either, IMHO. This way, I get to control the SPL and have much better sound. And yes, I use dynamic range switched to minimum for the same reason.

By the way: I'd previously stated doubts about whether 100 watts per channel today would be equivalent to 85 watts way back when the 1105 was built. I no longer have any doubts. It acts more powerful and I haven't heard clipping yet. Clipping wasn't too hard to hit with the 1105. I am pleasantly surprised. Having said that, my budget oriented Fluance XL7F and C speakers are supposedly pretty easy to drive, so it might be different with more advanced speakers.

'k, a little more fun experimentation then on to more regimented setup.

Michael
post #116 of 944 Old 05-31-2013, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

When attempting to re-program my Harmony 600 for the new AVR, the remote jammed up. Though an old model, I purchased it new 2 weeks ago new in Amazon. Really liked it, too. A nice lady at Logitech took me through all the hoops, then declared the remote "toast". She is sending me a new 650 as that model is still being made. That tied up quite a bit of time. So finally, back to the RX-A820 AVR:

Movie update on RX-A820:

With as delivered settings, the 820 did in fact switch up to surround on its own. I don't know if there is such a thing as a "smart AVR", so I'll call it a "pretty clever AVR". wink.gif

The sound quality in the Avatar blu ray is absolutely smashing.

With whatever video processing is on by default, it is possible the picture is a hint different. I need more time with it to decide. I have several good setting combos kindly shared by fairchild99, so I'll experiment a bit.

Sound quality: It's so good, I have this sneaking suspicion that YPAO can only make it less excellent. However, I'll be giving it a try for sure.
post #117 of 944 Old 05-31-2013, 05:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Very glad youre happy so far. Running YPAO is actually very simple. i would do,it as soon as you get a chance. You can run it again after you get the subs figured out. Do you have a tripod?
And yes youre right the subs are treated as mono even though theres 2 pre outs.

post #118 of 944 Old 05-31-2013, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Very glad youre happy so far. Running YPAO is actually very simple. i would do,it as soon as you get a chance. You can run it again after you get the subs figured out. Do you have a tripod?
And yes youre right the subs are treated as mono even though theres 2 pre outs.

Info appreciated. I've got my brother's tripod that is used with a firearms chronograph. It's just a regular vid cam HD type tripod, so it should work fine for locating the mic where my head will be at, so to speak. wink.gif I'll pick a day when the wind isn't roaring, turn off the fridge over in the kitchen, turn off fans and HEPA filters, etc, so those don't interfere.

Do you think I should just turn off the subs during YPAO and calibrate those manually afterwards? Read widely varying opinions on that.

I have 5 speaker surround right now plus the 2 subs. I have a pair of the Fluance wide dispersion bipolar surround speakers pre-ordered early for 1/3 price for the other 2. Those are still a month out, but probably worth it for the ridiculous price.

Amazon has the regular Fluance XL7S surround speakers in stock, so I just ordered a pair of those. Main reason(s): I want to be able to test the AVR's surround/back channels before the AVR return period is up.

My current R&L surrounds are Klipsch RB-41 II's. I may eventually use them in another setup or in front presence - though I don't know if the 820 can run that many surround channels at once. Much to learn.

I shoulda' just ordered the Fluance XL speaker package since I'm ending up buying all their stuff piecemeal anyway. Coulda' saved a lot of money. But I was skeptical about the low prices regardless of the amazing professional and customer reviews.

The point of all that above: I may wait to run YPAO until my surround/back channel speakers get here. I'm in Amazon Prime, so they'll be here Tuesday. OTOH, I could turn off the surround/back channel speakers and run YPAO anyhow. I suspect the AVR has automatically turned off those channels since there is no load there. I'll probably run YPAO even though it is "only" 5.1 right now. The AVR is a heckuva' new toy! biggrin.gif

While I've probably already seen it too many times, Avatar sucked me in again due to the spectacular sound imaging and overall sound improvement. cool.gif

mm
post #119 of 944 Old 05-31-2013, 07:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You can run YPAO whenever you want but personally I would run it if you have the time for the simple reasons that it doesnt take long and should sound better. YPAO tests to see which ones are hooked up and will eq only those.
You should find the best place for the subs before running YPAO. Then leave the subs on and let YPAO eq them. You want the sub volume to be as close to 0 in the avr as you can get it. The rest will take care of itself. So when you run YPAO the first time in the first position keep running it and adjusting your subs volume until you get a sub volume of 0 in the avr. Then move to the next position. YPAO will inevitably set your speakers to large. Dont worry about that. Just keep running it in the different positions while keeping the sub volume at 0 in the avr.
The 820 will run 7 speakers at once. Back surrounds or front heights but not both. I have both hooked up and use whichever I choose according to taste.
Do you have the equipment and the skills to eq the subs yourself?

post #120 of 944 Old 05-31-2013, 09:39 PM

Well, I'm impressed with how far along you've gotten, MMichael. For the sub crawl, just pick your 'best' sub and locate it. I put the sub right up on my seat (with any necessary support) to find the right location. Then put that sub in place and repeat with the other -- the second will definitely show a different spot.

My A820 finally got here about 6pm. That left me with another dilemma. I'm doing well now, but still recovering from open heart surgery last month. 28 pounds is enough to play hell with my chest, so I got to sit and look at the box for a few hours. Finally got my wife to help get it out, but I'm going to need stronger help (or a few more weeks of recovery) before I can start messing with any real setup. I'll probably end up simply swapping out the 820 for the Lex and amps and trying out just an 820 setup. Then I'll go back and compare options when I can manage it on my own.

I'll benefit from all you post though. :-)

Rich
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V773wa Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page