"The Official Yamaha RX-V773 Thread" - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 910 Old 06-20-2013, 08:52 AM
Member
 
NachoB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMichael View Post

I hear ya' about functionality. I don't have a tablet or iPhone or iPad. I do have a PS Vita, but I haven't looked into whether that could take on wireless control or not. Of course, I give up Zone 2 due to using the 7.1 +2 feature, but ya' know. Always looking.
Not sure if you're aware of this, but in a browser, if you browse to http://[Receiver assigned IP] there's a applet that lets you control the receiver.
and if you browse to http://[Receiver assigned IP]/setup/ (yes, include the last /) you can change a lot of the settings via a web interface.





Apologies if you already knew this.
bbbobbb, richlife, Crump and 3 others like this.
NachoB is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 910 Old 06-20-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,867
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoB View Post

Not sure if you're aware of this, but in a browser, if you browse to http://[Receiver assigned IP] there's a applet that lets you control the receiver.
and if you browse to http://[Receiver assigned IP]/setup/ (yes, include the last /) you can change a lot of the settings via a web interface.





Apologies if you already knew this.
I didnt know about the Setup part. Cool. Thanks.
crn3371 likes this.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is online now  
post #183 of 910 Old 06-20-2013, 10:10 AM
Member
 
richlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central NC
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I didnt know about the Setup part. Cool. Thanks.

YES! Absolutely cool! Thanks from here also, NachoB.

Going through the detail of the Setup options was really helpful to me as I can see each configuration item and all the options for setting. I can't claim to understand every last one, but I'll be back to ask when I'm feeling a little less overwhelmed with all this power to control. rolleyes.gif

MMichael, If you haven't looked into this yet, you REALLY want to do it. I've used the Yamaha app on my Nexus 7 from outside in my deck hammock to turn on my system, select Zone 2 and control what I want to hear. THAT is quite a trip in itself and completes a long time "want". And when I started looking at AVRs again a couple months ago it wasn't even on the wish list. So I hope all of you who have a tablet or smart phone and one of these Yamaha AVRs have gone out to get the app -- you may find a whole new function.

But this control of Setup using the PC network access is a whole new level. Even if you don't care about it (I didn't), you need to check this out. It's much more than you might think.

Rich
richlife is offline  
post #184 of 910 Old 06-20-2013, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
MountainMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 68
richlife,

I definitely agree. Very cool! I'm going to look into maybe doing that with my laptop on my wireless network. Seems to access it fine. I wonder if there is such a thing for Windows XP..

My speakers are configured in 7.1+2, so I would have to give up the +2 part to use zone 2... not ruling it out yet. cool.gif



NachoB,

Echoing others, I didn't know about the second setup part. I went in that way just now and then saved a shortcut to my desktop.

Clicking the "found that helpful" thumbs up button for sure!

Much appreciated.

mm
MountainMichael is offline  
post #185 of 910 Old 06-20-2013, 07:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,867
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMichael View Post

richlife,

I definitely agree. Very cool! I'm going to look into maybe doing that with my laptop on my wireless network. Seems to access it fine. I wonder if there is such a thing for Windows XP..

My speakers are configured in 7.1+2, so I would have to give up the +2 part to use zone 2... not ruling it out yet. cool.gif



NachoB,

Echoing others, I didn't know about the second setup part. I went in that way just now and then saved a shortcut to my desktop.

Clicking the "found that helpful" thumbs up button for sure!

Much appreciated.

mm
What is 7.1+2?

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is online now  
post #186 of 910 Old 06-20-2013, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
crn3371's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 743
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Thanks for that, NachoB! How did you find that? I knew about the web interface, but not the setup option. Pretty cool.
crn3371 is online now  
post #187 of 910 Old 06-20-2013, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
MountainMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

What is 7.1+2?

It's a configuration offered in the owner's manual of the Yamaha A820. It's the usual 7.1: Mains, center, surrounds, back surrounds and sub. What the +2 adds in addition to 7.1: Front presence speakers IF the person is willing to forgo zone 2 usage.

In fact, if memory serves, I think the one set of speaker connectors on the back of the amp say: "Zone 2 / Presence".

I like it because it makes dialogue lift more effective (IMHO) than the "virtual front presence" option.

If I decide I want Zone 2, I think I can use the back surround feeds for the front presence instead of back surround..
MountainMichael is offline  
post #188 of 910 Old 06-20-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,867
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMichael View Post

It's a configuration offered in the owner's manual of the Yamaha A820. It's the usual 7.1: Mains, center, surrounds, back surrounds and sub. What the +2 adds in addition to 7.1: Front presence speakers IF the person is willing to forgo zone 2 usage.

In fact, if memory serves, I think the one set of speaker connectors on the back of the amp say: "Zone 2 / Presence".

I like it because it makes dialogue lift more effective (IMHO) than the "virtual front presence" option.

If I decide I want Zone 2, I think I can use the back surround feeds for the front presence instead of back surround..
Thanks. Thats the way Ive got mine set up but didnt know it was called that. I cant use the front presence and the back surrounds at the same time. I was hoping you had found some kind of way around that other than a 9.2 avr.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is online now  
post #189 of 910 Old 06-20-2013, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
MountainMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Thanks. Thats the way Ive got mine set up but didnt know it was called that. I cant use the front presence and the back surrounds at the same time. I was hoping you had found some kind of way around that other than a 9.2 avr.

To be clear, it runs all 9, but when doing that, I can't use zone 2.
MountainMichael is offline  
post #190 of 910 Old 06-20-2013, 07:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,867
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMichael View Post

To be clear, it runs all 9, but when doing that, I can't use zone 2.
OK How do you get them all to work at the same time?
You have Party Zone dont you? I wonder if thats how you can get sound from all of them at once. I have the 675 and I can only use fp or sb but not both at the same time.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is online now  
post #191 of 910 Old 06-20-2013, 08:49 PM
Member
 
NachoB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post

Thanks for that, NachoB! How did you find that? I knew about the web interface, but not the setup option. Pretty cool.
Came across it somewhere in these avs forums scouring for info on my A820 I got this past Tuesday.
NachoB is offline  
post #192 of 910 Old 06-20-2013, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
MountainMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

OK How do you get them all to work at the same time?
You have Party Zone dont you? I wonder if thats how you can get sound from all of them at once. I have the 675 and I can only use fp or sb but not both at the same time.

Plugged everything in, went into menu-setup-manual setup-configuration and turned everything on. I'm not sure I'd have had to do that because when I ran YPAO after that, it saw everything and left it all on. Note that the front presence icons DO NOT show ON when run like this; the only way I can tell they are on is to arrow down to front presence, click on it and then I see that "Use" has the check mark by it whereas "None" does not. Those are the only 2 selections on that.

With the front mains on large and extra bass on, the sub icon also has no text by it until arrowing down to it. Then it suddenly shows text saying "Normal" by the sub icon. I've confirmed the subs are running with these settings (that you suggested - and thanks for that!)

A couple of icon text glitches maybe, but at least the stuff is confirmed turned on.

I've verified there is sound coming out of them in movie surround modes. Playing stereo mp3 files, I hear/feel sound coming from presence in 7 channel stereo. The presence speakers have somewhat louder sound coming from them in Party Mode just as we would probably expect.

The room can really get raucous in Party Mode!

I suggest this: If your 675 has this capability, it should be listed in the owner's manual PDF in the index at the back as "7.1+2". In my pdf owner's manual, that index says to look to page 17 for info. Page 17 shows the wiring layout you'd expect and some text about it.
MountainMichael is offline  
post #193 of 910 Old 06-20-2013, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 5,587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMichael View Post

To be clear, it runs all 9, but when doing that, I can't use zone 2.

If you can run all 9 then it would be a 9.2 avr which its not...its only a 7.2 avr. You can run 7.2 + 2 channel in basic amp config mode. However the front presence and rear surround do not play audio simultaneously...the avr will switch back and forth between the 2 sets of speakers depending on the dsp mode. refer to page 15. of your manual. wink.gif
basshead81 is offline  
post #194 of 910 Old 06-20-2013, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
MountainMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

If you can run all 9 then it would be a 9.2 avr which its not...its only a 7.2 avr. You can run 7.2 + 2 channel in basic amp config mode. However the front presence and rear surround do not play audio simultaneously...the avr will switch back and forth between the 2 sets of speakers depending on the dsp mode. refer to page 15. of your manual. wink.gif

Page 15 of my pdf manual is something else. Looking for the paper manual now.

Edit: Confirmed by testing. If front surrounds are running, surround back is off. That is true in Party Mode, 7 channel stereo and movie mode.

Thanks for clarification, basshead81.

Bond 007 - mea culpa, I was wrong on this.

Given the above, I might be better off tossing the front presence and using Zone 2 sometimes.
MountainMichael is offline  
post #195 of 910 Old 06-20-2013, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 5,587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
here is the manual I use for reference.

http://db.tt/cjTZTtXQ
basshead81 is offline  
post #196 of 910 Old 06-21-2013, 08:58 AM
Member
 
richlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central NC
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoB View Post

Came across it somewhere in these avs forums scouring for info on my A820 I got this past Tuesday.

Can that info about the broswer access and especially the Setup options be put into a stickie? It's truly great information that would be useful to far more than those of us who have been looking at this thread right now. I expect there is a similar browser access for other Yamaha models also.

NachoB has done us a real service by letting us know -- I think there are MANY others who could benefit from this in various Yamaha AVR threads (or other equipment for that matter). The device control function is clearly identified in the manual (for those who read manuals eek.gif), but the "Setup" option is more obscure.

Rich
NachoB likes this.
richlife is offline  
post #197 of 910 Old 06-21-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,867
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 825
Post that option in all of the Yamaha owners threads here. The word will get out.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is online now  
post #198 of 910 Old 06-21-2013, 06:27 PM
Newbie
 
jen773's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a way to watch movies, etc from a USB ext HDD? I listen to lots of music but like to occasionally watch video. Currently I switch to a blu-ray player but I'd like to leave it plugged into the 773.
jen773 is offline  
post #199 of 910 Old 06-21-2013, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Mattyo1612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Mackay Queensland Australia
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
New firmware update version 1.80 now available on the Yamaha website, can only be download via usb.
NachoB and MountainMichael like this.

Mattyo1612 is offline  
post #200 of 910 Old 06-21-2013, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
MountainMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyo1612 View Post

New firmware update version 1.80 now available on the Yamaha website, can only be download via usb.

Installed US version of 1.80 just now with USB pen drive method. The portion of the firmware update called "S5-1" took the longest as usual - or about 10 minutes.

It went fine. One odd thing: When I went in to confirm afterwards in on screen - information - system, it showed "---" in firmware version for about 20 seconds, then it FINALLY showed 1.80. (sigh of relief) biggrin.gif Powered it off and on and repeated, this time 1.80 showed up right away. smile.gif

Backed up in pc interface. As usual, backing up turned ON zone 2. I turned it back off. Blinking light on display... reading glasses, dammit... it was muted. Unmuted. Everything working fine so far. Speaker config appears unaffected.

Will report back if anything goes "toes up" eek.gif following the 1.80 update.

Thanks! to Mattyo1612 for posting about 1.80.

mm
MountainMichael is offline  
post #201 of 910 Old 06-22-2013, 03:23 PM
Member
 
richlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central NC
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The Yamaha site says this 1.80 firmware update provides:

This firmware
1. Improves connectivity and stability with AV Controller App
2. Improves DLNA network function stability
3. Other bug fix

I just installed the update also, but Info immediately showed the new level. No heart-stopping "-.--" pause like MMichael got. That's ok with me. tongue.gif

I also get one more plus today -- just picked up my second sub from the repair shop! Connecting... And also connecting the Z-Fan to the 820's Trigger output and it's finally all set.

Rich
richlife is offline  
post #202 of 910 Old 06-22-2013, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
MountainMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlife View Post

The Yamaha site says this 1.80 firmware update provides:

This firmware
1. Improves connectivity and stability with AV Controller App
2. Improves DLNA network function stability
3. Other bug fix

I just installed the update also, but Info immediately showed the new level. No heart-stopping "-.--" pause like MMichael got. That's ok with me. tongue.gif

I also get one more plus today -- just picked up my second sub from the repair shop! Connecting... And also connecting the Z-Fan to the 820's Trigger output and it's finally all set.

Rich

Hi, Rich. Glad to hear the firmware worked for you, too but without the moment of doubt. I've tried to search z-fan but not getting anywhere. Is it a home theater cooling fan? Manufacturer name or link would be appreciated.

So the trigger out has proper voltage and amperage to run a fan? Or are you switching a power supply with it?

I'm currently running 2 x 120mm fans places in the upper/outer corners of my TV stand from CoolerGuys. I have them on 5v wall warts on a switching "smart" power strip. Seems to have dropped AVR temp a lot and on the other side, PS3 temp somewhat. But they're a little noisy. I have a couple of speed controls on the way so I can turn them down a bit to reduce a "thrum" type of resonance. Not averse to trying some other fans if they are stone quiet.

Glad to hear you got your sub back. What kind of repair did it need?

Thanks!

mm

ps: The noise seems to be mostly transmitted by the thin backing on the TV stand. It's minor and mostly only noticeable with sound off. However, it is audible in quieter TV scenes. Considering gluing on a couple of small 2.5# barbell discs with silicone to act as a silastic weighted damper.. they would be on the back where not visible.
MountainMichael is offline  
post #203 of 910 Old 06-22-2013, 05:05 PM
Member
 
richlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central NC
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMichael View Post

Hi, Rich. Glad to hear the firmware worked for you, too but without the moment of doubt. I've tried to search z-fan but not getting anywhere. Is it a home theater cooling fan? Manufacturer name or link would be appreciated.

So the trigger out has proper voltage and amperage to run a fan? Or are you switching a power supply with it?

I'm currently running 2 x 120mm fans places in the upper/outer corners of my TV stand from CoolerGuys. I have them on 5v wall warts on a switching "smart" power strip. Seems to have dropped AVR temp a lot and on the other side, PS3 temp somewhat. But they're a little noisy. I have a couple of speed controls on the way so I can turn them down a bit to reduce a "thrum" type of resonance. Not averse to trying some other fans if they are stone quiet.

Glad to hear you got your sub back. What kind of repair did it need?

Thanks!

mm

ps: The noise seems to be mostly transmitted by the thin backing on the TV stand. It's minor and mostly only noticeable with sound off. However, it is audible in quieter TV scenes. Considering gluing on a couple of small 2.5# barbell discs with silicone to act as a silastic weighted damper.. they would be on the back where not visible.

Oops, sorry -- some of what you asked I meant to include.

The Z-fan is a home theater component fan by Elan Home Systems. As it's 15 years old, the new ones (Z-Fan2) are somewhat more sophisticated. You can find some of the model I have on eBay at (some) decent prices. I THINK it was originally $115 but might have been more. They came either standalone or as rack-mounters. This is a pretty quiet dual fan -- can be heard in a quiet room, but not with soft chamber music set at -48 db.

I had to do some searching on the trigger because it originally didn't work -- helps to plug it in to the right port. rolleyes.gif It provides a 12-volt@15mA trigger to your device. (I think the debate still rages whether it's constant or pulse -- apparently Yamaha has said various things to various people and I have yet to see where anyone put a meter on the connector.) The fan now starts when I turn on the A820. The trigger options are in Setup. Though I don't remember ever changing these, mine wasn't set to the "default" but it was simple enough to correct.

The sub was a power supply issue. Probably too many (two) grandsons playing with the switches, toggles and connections too often. Fortunately, they've grown some and lost interest since nothing (audible to them) ever seemd to happen. But one day it began to woompa-woompa-woompa. It's behaving nicely now and my quiet chamber music has changed to a violin concerto sending deep rolling thunder into my livingroom.

Edit: Yes, the fan goes off with the AVR.

Rich
richlife is offline  
post #204 of 910 Old 06-22-2013, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
MountainMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Rich,

Info appreciated. Thanks!

mm
MountainMichael is offline  
post #205 of 910 Old 06-23-2013, 06:04 AM
Newbie
 
zotirinel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, please tell me if i can have different signals on the two HDMI OUT (received from any of the five HDMI IN). Because I have a TV who knows to split the screen and take thru two HDMI two different signal and show in the same time. Thank you very much!
zotirinel is offline  
post #206 of 910 Old 06-24-2013, 08:00 AM
Member
 
richlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central NC
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You didn't say specifically what AVR you have, but I think you're basically out of luck on this. You have your inputs and you have your Scenes. The Scenes can be re-programmed, but you still can only select one at a time. (Anyone who know better, please clue us in.)

To accomplish what you want, you may want to consider taking another output directly from one or more of your sources (let's see -- TV, DVR, BD -- how many could you have?) and route them directly to the other input on your tv. That's how mine is setup though I seldom use it for two. (For me, why have a 55" screen so I can watch 2 24" images?)

Rich
richlife is offline  
post #207 of 910 Old 06-24-2013, 10:53 PM
Newbie
 
zotirinel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry, I was writing about yamaha 773. I have a projector epson tw6100 and the screen have 3m/1.69m the image is big enought. I need TV and BD.player or X.Box in the same time, sometime my childrens want to look at cartoons and i preffer a movie. Even I have 3 tv in the house, he want to stay and look at cartoons only near me..... right now i put the player (Dune) directly in projector and the soud in yamaha thru optical cable....but in this case i don't know if the sound is so good than i put directly thru hdmi...and  i need to use more remotes control. Thank you very much
zotirinel is offline  
post #208 of 910 Old 06-29-2013, 11:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
MountainMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 68
My RX-A820 was within 3/4" of the top of my TV stand. That is, it was significantly taller than my R-V1105. Because of this, it felt like it was running pretty hot.

So I installed CoolerGuys 5v 120mm fans extracting hot air from the upper outer corners of the back of the TV stand. Sure enough, this made the AVR run very cool. Apparently room temp to the touch, but that's not necessarily very accurate...

I purchased a decent IR temp gun recently to find out how cool. Right now, at this moment, it is running at 80f in a room that is 75f - and that's after several hours of usage. I consider that pretty good.

Anyway, the CoolerGuys fans were initially too loud for me personally. I'm a head trauma survivor, so minute noises can make people like me kinda' crazy.

So I picked up a Chinese RoHS 3v 1.5 amp power supply and found that its no load voltage was 3.35. Would that be enough to run 2 CoolerGuys fans? It is.

I bought a 4 pin Molex 6 foot extension cable to connect the 2 fans. Installed a Molex 4 pin connector on the RoHS wall wart using a multimeter and visuals to get polarity right.

Tested 50 times to make sure the fans would start reliably. No problema. However, there is a somewhat concerning delay where it takes about 1/2 second for both fans to start; totally uniform to both fans. But they start every time. Now, they are totally silent.

And BTW, the 80f temp above is with the fans throttled way back as described above.

This is all probably not directly related to the thread, but I figure I'm not the first person to have an AVR run hot to the touch due to new AVR's being significantly taller than older ones.

I'm astonished at how much temp differential is caused by 2 little fans operating at low rpm. I'm also pretty glad. biggrin.gif

After this exercise, my PS3 fan sounded loud. So I hung a small towel over that side - still allowing the CoolerGuys fan plenty of ingress. It cut the PS3's fan noise in half, yet it still runs cool. After 5 hours continuous use today, the temp gun says it is running at 94f right now. Not stone cold, but not scary as PS3's go.

Ok, ending my "fan club" project now. wink.gif

If this seems too oblique, well, the thread has been a little bit slow lately anyway. smile.gif
MountainMichael is offline  
post #209 of 910 Old 07-02-2013, 10:38 AM
Member
 
richlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central NC
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Oblique, maybe, MMichael -- but I wonder how many owners actually check to see how hot their equipment runs. And some may not know that heat is destructive of electronic components. That 80*F is spectacular! Congrats!

I'd say that warm to the touch is ok -- hot is not so good. When I first checked my A820, I checked at the top and it felt ok. (No IR gun here rolleyes.gif .) Later, I felt around the bottom and found it quite hot. Apparently the heat sinks are low in the chassis (in some equipment, they sit above the hot electronics). Adding the zFan took care of it.

My Lexicon used to run hot in DTS mode which is why I got the fan. Given all the components collapsed into this receiver, I assumed that heat could be an issue and gave it an extra six inches overhead -- plenty of room for that thin fan smile.gif . It's funny how replacing 4 boxes with one has a tendency to open up space in the cabinet...

Rich
richlife is offline  
post #210 of 910 Old 07-03-2013, 01:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
MountainMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlife View Post

Oblique, maybe, MMichael -- but I wonder how many owners actually check to see how hot their equipment runs. And some may not know that heat is destructive of electronic components. That 80*F is spectacular! Congrats!

I'd say that warm to the touch is ok -- hot is not so good. When I first checked my A820, I checked at the top and it felt ok. (No IR gun here rolleyes.gif .) Later, I felt around the bottom and found it quite hot. Apparently the heat sinks are low in the chassis (in some equipment, they sit above the hot electronics). Adding the zFan took care of it.

My Lexicon used to run hot in DTS mode which is why I got the fan. Given all the components collapsed into this receiver, I assumed that heat could be an issue and gave it an extra six inches overhead -- plenty of room for that thin fan smile.gif . It's funny how replacing 4 boxes with one has a tendency to open up space in the cabinet...

Rich

Rich,

Thanks for input. I appreciate it. That you've mentioned how hot the bottom of the A820 is makes me all the more glad that I went after a 'perceived' possible problem. I wonder if any of the A820 failure reports in customer feedback are due to the taller form factor and limited space on top. Since these are obviously convection cooled, limiting outflow on top might make the sinks on the bottom run scary hot. Just speculating.

I hear ya' about the heat sinks being in the bottom. Still, if the top of the unit is too close to the top of the TV stand, I reason that convection cooling will be reduced and that might be a bad thing. Might make a Yamaha as failure prone as an Onkyo. Oops, hold the flames Onkyo owners. At least until your AVR torches. No, no. jk. I take it all back. Just talkin' about AVR's that run hot and a Yamaha shouldn't IMHO. cool.gif

The point is, just as you said Rich, heat is destructive.

Let me see if I can get a "snapshot" of the heat of my Yami right now.... be right back. Might be a minute. Gotta get a refill on the Canadian Mist... biggrin.gif

Ok, that latest "island drink" is pretty righteous. Back to topic: The AVR has been running a LOT longer today than last measurement. Like 10 hours. So the temps are up a bit. But not that much, really.

So: Top of the AVR is 84.5f right now whereas the bottom of it is as at 88.0. So just as you said, the heat sinks are almost certainly on the bottom of the unit.

And: When I say that before the TV stand fans it was "hot to the touch, but not burning me", I know that to be in the 105 degree range plus or minus 5.

Anyway, with only 3/4" above the A820 due to its taller form factor and because I was feeling "offensive" heat, I had to do something. Not saying CoolerGuys 5v fans are the way to go since they were too noisy for me. OTOH, I'm excessively sensitive so I guess I can't really say.

However, for a picky SOB... the CoolerGuy's fans (2 of them) - with the RoHS 3v wall wart... well, they keep components pretty cool and I can't freakin' hear them. Did I mention I'm a picky SOB? wink.gif

Rich: Any updates on your A820? Likin' it? Not? What is working and what is not? Suggestions appreciated though my 820 has blown my expectations out of the water already.

Thanks,

mm
MountainMichael is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V773wa Receiver
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off