AVS Forum banner

"The Official Yamaha RX-V773 Thread"

138K views 1K replies 184 participants last post by  Goughy 
#1 ·
I know there is an "official Yamaha RX-V673 Thread" but I just recently purchased the Yamaha RX-V773 and I am slowly getting my head around all the features and menus and was hoping there would be enough people out there that have the RX-V773 to get some people's thoughts, opinions, tips on this reciever.... The one thing I do want to ask is that when playing blu-rays, should I have the video processing on auto, through or direct? The picture doesn't appear to look any different to me when I change between the three....I have decided to leave it on through for now....

See less See more
#3 ·
I am debating on either buying the Yamaha 773 or the Onkyo 818. The 818 is $300 more ($899 vs. $599) at Future Shop/Best Buy in Canada. I was all set on the Onkyo based on all the positive reviews, but now am struggling to justify paying the extra $300. I need to decide by midnight before the sales end...

#4 ·
After some manual tweaking with the speaker settings, after doing the YPAO auto calibration, I think the sound quality is pretty damn good. I'm not that keen on the Cinema DSP settings as I prefer to keep it on the Straight setting as I thinks it's a more natural sound. But I'm still playing with different settings as I've only had it a week.

#5 ·
I think that I've just answered my own question after having more of a play around I've switch it to Direct as this appears to be the crispest, sharpest image. I switch to auto to upscale when I watch Austar/Foxtel as I only have a standard definition box.

#7 ·
Matt, I just got this receiver without the wifi accessory. I have apple tv. do I shell out another hundred bucks for the wifi? and how did the calibration work out YPAO? I have polk rm101's and velo sub. coming from a denon. will I be pleased? I am going to set up Monday. Just wanted to know what to expect. Many thanks in advance.

#8 ·
Mine didn't come with the wifi accessory either and I was led to believe that it came with one, however, I connected it direct to the ethernet connection on my router, I think this would be the prefered option if you can. As far as the YPAO calibration, I'm pretty happy with the result. But as with any auto calibration, I think there always the need to do some fine tuning once you have gone through the calibration process. I always do it a couple of times to see how consistant the settings are. And another thing, have your amp on for around 30 minutes to warm up before doing the calibration and also your speakers sound better when they've loosened up as well.

#9 ·
The RX-V773WA comes bundled with a USB powered wireless bridge. The RX-V773 doesn't.

As far as I know the RX-V773WA is only available in the United States. Canada, Australia and the rest of the world get the WiFi-less RX-V773.

You should be able to find cheap wireless access point that can act as a wireless bridge for $50 or less.

#989 ·
Late-comer to the thread, after noticing some activity in the Active Topics sidebar on the 673 and thinking "hey I have a 773 - I'm sure there will be a thread here for it"...

Like many others here, I could not resist Newegg's $440+$2 deal.

Interesting to catch up on two years of posts.

The RX-V773WA comes bundled with a USB powered wireless bridge. The RX-V773 doesn't.

As far as I know the RX-V773WA is only available in the United States. Canada, Australia and the rest of the world get the WiFi-less RX-V773.

You should be able to find cheap wireless access point that can act as a wireless bridge for $50 or less.
The non- North America models also have a phono stage. If I knew beforehand I think I woulda' tried to get one imported somehow.

Since I have a bunch of Ethernet -capable stuff in the "home theater" areas of the apartment, instead of a crapload of WiFi nodes competing with each other I set aside the (predictably notorious) YWA thing and installed a Netgear WNCE4004 WiFi bridge in each area. With 4 ports, just enough for the receiver, BDP, TV, and a PC. Or in the other room, a DVR, game console and PC. Great throughput with my Asus RT-AC66U. TIP: If you have very close neighbors with WiFi, 5 GHz can save much grief. YMMV.

The Z-fan is a home theater component fan by Elan Home Systems. As it's 15 years old, the new ones (Z-Fan2) are somewhat more sophisticated. You can find some of the model I have on eBay at (some) decent prices. I THINK it was originally $115 but might have been more. They came either standalone or as rack-mounters. This is a pretty quiet dual fan -- can be heard in a quiet room, but not with soft chamber music set at -48 db.
Ooof, that's a lot of money for a couple of fans in a case design that is prone to increasing turbulence noise at the cost of lowering air volume movement.

But yeah, a lot of folks have little grasp of how much the lifetime of their hardware can be reduced by heat. Stacks of H/T stuff without some plan to move some air across and through it is a recipe for trouble.

Good news is, there is a huge market for quiet PC components and that means super quiet 120mm - 180mm fans can be had easily and cheaply. Trash-pick a 12V power brick, plug it into your smart strip and use it to power a few low-speed $5-$15 PC case fans mounted with silicone bits. Cheap, effective if you place 'em right, and if you do it right you won't even hear them over the noise floor of your listening area, much less quiet chamber music passages. Tip: If you can place them out of the way of busy fingers, don't use fan grilles! Better airflow with low-speed fans and one less source of turbulence noise.

Anyway, on to miscellaneous stuff...

Irritations:

The inability to independently route certain sources to Zones 1 and 2 or do anything that remotely resembles D/A between ins and outs is frustrating and stupid. The capability is there and intentionally disabled to force you to spend more for Yamaha's $1000+ receivers. It even goes so far as to sense when you try to plug an output to an input and interferes. Bastards! Not that there aren't work-arounds...

The two HDMI outputs are tied. So if you do something sneaky like putting an inexpensive HDMI-Analog adapter on HDMI OUT 2, it drags both HDMI outputs to 720p.

In spite of a few things like that, I'm generally happy.

It runs a LOT cooler than my old Pioneer. That thing was a coffee warmer just idling!

I totally forgot there was an HTTP interface to this unit. I like using Yamaha's iPhone app. Makes handling zones and sources much easier.

Noticed there's new firmware 1.91 from last July available. Thinking about braving it..! Right now the iPhone app doesn't always see the receiver.

#10 ·
I have a question for those of you with this receiver, is it possible to watch TV on one source (HDMI) and listen to audio on another? The audio could be just an AV connection for an ipod or maybe optical out from an Apple TV.

I was looking at the manual and I can see that you can set a different audio source for a video input, but that seems like to pain to do every time. The Advantage 1020 is able to do it a little easier since the Scene option also allows for the setting of the audio source and you're able to have 4 additional custom Scene configurations, but I would like to save a little money and go with the smaller and lighter 773.

Thanks!

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opuntia  /t/1449409/yamaha-rx-v773-thread#post_22799413

I have a question for those of you with this receiver, is it possible to watch TV on one source (HDMI) and listen to audio on another? The audio could be just an AV connection for an ipod or maybe optical out from an Apple TV.

I was looking at the manual and I can see that you can set a different audio source for a video input, but that seems like to pain to do every time. The Advantage 1020 is able to do it a little easier since the Scene option also allows for the setting of the audio source and you're able to have 4 additional custom Scene configurations, but I would like to save a little money and go with the smaller and lighter 773.

Thanks!

I asked a similar question on a differeent forum and here is my answer, it was more relating to the wireless adaotor.

Yes the AppleTV has airplay and this works exactly in the same way as the YWA-10 utilises the receivers Airplay functionality, the only difference however is that the AppleTV Airplay won't work for Zone 2 whereas the Receiver's Airplay (accessed via the YWA-10) does.

The reason for this is that AppleTV is classed as a digital input (i.e. as it's connected by HDMI) and zone 2 only works with analogue inputs. The receiver's Airplay functionality, because it is inbuilt, is classed by the receiver as an analogue input and therefore works for zone 2.

The only way you can get AppleTV to work in zone 2 is by using the party mode function. The downside of this is that you can't play a different music source or watch tv say in zone 1 when you have party mode engaged and at the same time play something different via Airplay in zone 2.

Having had the YWA-10 for a few months I would suggest if you can connect the receiver directly to your modem/router (via network cable) this would be a better solution in my mind. My router isn't the best which could mean the 'patchy' performance I've noted is because of that, however in my mind anything 'hardwired' is generally better anyway.

#14 ·
Hi All,

I just bought a new Yamaha HTR-7065. I have an apple TV, PS3, a PC and a Cisco Cable Set Top box in my setup. All else works great except the cable.

I read the manual and set my AV2 option such that audio for it comes from AV6 (component audio). In other words, the R,G,B of the component cable from set top box goes into AV2 and Red and White of component cable from set top box goes into AV6. I matched the On Screen settings for AV2 to reflect the same.

The above isnt giving any audio or video although i am certain the cable set top box is switched on.

Any help that any one can provide on this will be highly appreciated

-Mayoor

#15 ·
This amp is rated at 95 watts per channel at 8 ohms as this is the default setting for this amp, I'm just curious to know if anyone can tell me what this translates to in watts per channel for 6 ohms speakers as I have changed the impedence setting to 6 ohms to match the Yamaha EF Series speakers (NS-777, NS-C444, NS-333, YST-515 sub) which have an impedence of 6 ohms. Thanks in advance

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadoublej  /t/1449409/yamaha-rx-v773-thread#post_22855993

I have a friend looking at this receiver but he wants to use it with a separate two channel only amplfier. Is there a way to configure this unit for two channel audio out through the pre out jacks? If so how?

I have my front speakers driven by a separate Onkyo app off the front pre-outs. This drives my front speakers regardless of whether I am in 2-channel stereo or 5.1 surround sound.

There isn't any setup for it, all he has to do is connect the pre-out's from the Yamaha to his amps input jacks and then wire his speakers to the separate amp.

I would probably do YPAO though if he is looking to use them in a surround sound scenario to help balance the channel levels between the stand-alone amp and the other speakers being driven off the Yamaha's internal amp.

#17 ·
How wrong is it that they do not provide a written manual? I have computer in another room, no laptop. Either run back and forth, or print it up. I printed good portion of the pages.

Anyone have any success with the wireless adapter? Mine is one floor above and 30' away and not really usable. Keeps going in and out. Running Ethernet is going to be a major headache, because of the house layout. I ran this stuff for a living, retired now, still not looking forward to it.

I bought this to upgrade an olde Sony STR 995, and listen to Sirius. So far cant figure out how to get Sirius.

#18 ·
Hello All:

I am a new member here and a recent owner of the rx-V773 (got it a day back). I was hoping for some advise from the group. Here is what I was trying to do.

I want to use airplay to stream movies (and related audio) from video streaming apps on my iphone/ipad. The iphone recognizes the receiver for air play and stream audio. But it does not stream the video. I have the HDMI1 out connected to the TV. Am I doing something wrong? Any help or advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

#19 ·
My wireless adapter is connected fine using the WMA method described in the manual. It is reasonable coverage to appx 20 feet away.

One thing that I noticed is when it asks you to update the firmware, it switches off the wireless adapter and cannot download the firmware. I think I will have to hardwire the receiver to ethernet to update.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGRR8T  /t/1449409/yamaha-rx-v773-thread#post_23141605

How wrong is it that they do not provide a written manual? I have computer in another room, no laptop. Either run back and forth, or print it up. I printed good portion of the pages.

Anyone have any success with the wireless adapter? Mine is one floor above and 30' away and not really usable. Keeps going in and out. Running Ethernet is going to be a major headache, because of the house layout. I ran this stuff for a living, retired now, still not looking forward to it.

I bought this to upgrade an olde Sony STR 995, and listen to Sirius. So far cant figure out how to get Sirius.

#20 ·
It is better to have your internet wired directly via an ethernet cable, but a word of advice. Be careful when downloading the firmware update as when I first hooked mine up, it asked to download the latest update which I proceeded with, then about halfway through the process, I lost internet signal which froze the amp! I then had to upload the firmware update via usb from the Yamaha website, turn everything off from the powerpoint, then reboot the amp with the usb connected by turning amp on from the powerpoint. Everything went well once I did this, the amp works beautifully and I haven't had any issues since. Now I can only hope that the internet service in your area is much better than where I am, if so, then you hopefully won't have the dramas I had.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGRR8T  /t/1449409/yamaha-rx-v773-thread#post_23141605

I just got mine this week, but I never bothered with the wireless. I bought a $20- refurbished Netgear router and created a wireless Ethernet bridge. I then connected my tv, computer, BluRay, and Yamaha receiver to the Netgear with ethernet cable. My main router is in another room about 30 feet away. Even though I can receive the signal there, I just get a more reliable signal this way. I will probably be selling the wireless adapter soon. If you don't know how to create a wireless Ethernet bridge, just do a search. That's what I did, it was simple. Btw, my receiver came with the latest firmware already installed, bought it from Newegg.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyo1612  /t/1449409/yamaha-rx-v773-thread#post_23146005

It is better to have your internet wired directly via an ethernet cable, but a word of advice. Be careful when downloading the firmware update as when I first hooked mine up, it asked to download the latest update which I proceeded with, then about halfway through the process, I lost internet signal which froze the amp! I then had to upload the firmware update via usb from the Yamaha website, turn everything off from the powerpoint, then reboot the amp with the usb connected by turning amp on from the powerpoint. Everything went well once I did this, the amp works beautifully and I haven't had any issues since. Now I can only hope that the internet service in your area is much better than where I am, if so, then you hopefully won't have the dramas I had.

I had the same issue and I think it's fairly common. My internet service is very good so I don't think that was the problem. But, just like you, once I got the firmware update installed it's been smooth sailing.

#23 ·
i just got mine too from newegg. Just had a chance to hook it up with my newly bought RTi8s (160 each from frys) and felt that it is still lacking some juice to push the polks. I had to turn up the volume to ~- -25 db to hear better sound reproductions... will be bi amping it to see if it helps....Spent a considerable amount of time trying to get the Wireless setup done. Damn!!

nonetheless...awesome amp....

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj0408  /t/1449409/yamaha-rx-v773-thread#post_23142949

Hello All:

I am a new member here and a recent owner of the rx-V773 (got it a day back). I was hoping for some advise from the group. Here is what I was trying to do.

I want to use airplay to stream movies (and related audio) from video streaming apps on my iphone/ipad. The iphone recognizes the receiver for air play and stream audio. But it does not stream the video. I have the HDMI1 out connected to the TV. Am I doing something wrong? Any help or advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

i had the same issue as well, only the audio gets passed through the airplay but not the video, i did some googling and apparently that is how the way it works....unless someone has different findings...

Also, is there a way that i can watch TV channels and have the audio signal passed through the amp with the use of HDMI cables (maybe ARC port at TV) ....abit confused whether the HDMI should be connected to tne "input" or the "output" of the receiver to do this...

#26 ·
Not an audiophile - but I did grab it at new egg since, as you said, it's a no brainer at that price.

I've been doing home theater PC's since the end of 1998 when I got my first MItsubishi 60" HDTV, so since the beginning of 1999 I've just been using the best PC 2.1 systems I could find, and now have been using sound bars for the last 5 years or so. This was mostly due to my great room being an odd shape, and pretty much having only one corner of an oddly shaped room (open concept kitchen / dining room / great room with one floating wall that goes up only 8 feet or so between the great room and kitchen) and no good place for surround speakers.

But I saw this deal and had to get it and will figure out a way to make things work.

I'm looking at 6 ohm speakers though - and I'm getting a lot of conflicting reports in my google searches. I live in a house so I can crank it up some if I want, but I don't have a habit of blasting things loud. My 9 year old doesn't like that much volume, and I don't feel the need. So for normal movie watching and music listening from someone who generally doesn't even crank things up to the half way point, would it be safe to run 6 ohm speakers with this unit?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.