Anyone here using an Emotiva UMC-200? What are your thoughts? - Page 19 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #541 of 564 Old 03-11-2015, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
Is emotiva coming out with a umc 500 should I wait and not buy a umc 200 off ebay? What's everyone's thoughts. Love the price of the 200. What the talk on the new version(500).
From Dan Laufman of Emotiva at the Emotiva Lounge:

Quote:
2. The are several new processors in development right now. I'd spoken about this at CES, so its not a secret. We have a 16 channel Atmos enabled unit in development and it will be the new XMR-1. It will have a new T.I. 800 Series six core processing engine with enough power to handle Atmos, DTS-X, and whatever else is thrown at us. It is completely balanced on ALL channels and will go head to head with ANY processor on the market today, or tomorrow. It goes without saying it will ship with Dirac Live for Emotiva on all channels, and soon after release, we will be able to offer Dirac Unison. If you haven't heard of it yet, search it on Dirac's site. The new XMR-1 is going to be a monster. Made in Franklin, TN USA

3. There is a "baby" 7.1 processor in final development. It has some very cool features that I'm not ready to speak about just now, but it'll be a sweetheart. I predict this one will be a huge success. As a teaser though, it uses a smaller version of the OLED used in the XMC-1 and you have to see it to believe it. Same exact look and resolution, but smaller. It's going to have some very unique and useful features. We have fully functional hardware running on this unit, so its launch is not that far off. Made in Franklin, TN USA

So, there is a similar model in "final development". Take that for what it is. I love my UMC-200, I'm sure the updated version will be nice when it is available too. Up to you if you want to wait for it.
eng-399 likes this.

I love my iPhone, but it will never replace my turntable.

The Cinema 1858 Remodel Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 564 Old 03-11-2015, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillcat View Post
From Dan Laufman of Emotiva at the Emotiva Lounge:

So, there is a similar model in "final development". Take that for what it is. I love my UMC-200, I'm sure the updated version will be nice when it is available too. Up to you if you want to wait for it.

Wow sounds nice when you say final development what does that mean in time to hit the consumer market? If it's by July it would be worth waiting for. This is very exciting news!!!!thanks for responding!!

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...oot-boxes.html
The STONE HAMMERS sub box build 4/20 cubic boxes tuned @ 16hz.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...land-area.html GTG meet Plainfield IL. (Chicago land area)
post #543 of 564 Old 03-11-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Wow sounds nice when you say final development what does that mean in time to hit the consumer market? If it's by July it would be worth waiting for. This is very exciting news!!!!thanks for responding!!
Your guess is really as good as anyone's what the time frame might be. Emotiva makes some great products, but they don't have a great reputation for making their self-imposed deadlines.

post #544 of 564 Old 03-17-2015, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
UMC-200s gone?

Looks like they are no longer selling brand new UMC-200s anymore... I just called Emotiva and they said they only have ones that customer's returned for one reason or another. All sales are final, they have been fully tested and it includes a 5 year warranty.

Don't really need the XMC so was thinking about these instead. Anybody's comments would be welcome in this? Thanks

post #545 of 564 Old 03-17-2015, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked: 592
^
Read this thread and you'll find 543 comments

This thread is probably also helpful:
"Official" Emotiva UMC-200 Thread

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #546 of 564 Old 03-17-2015, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Wow, they gave away the under $600 multi channel amp category which Outlaw filled with their new 5000 model. They've ditched(again) their UPA amp line completely. Now it looks like they're giving away the under $600 processor category to Outlaw. So now if you want a processor from Emotiva and you're a first time buyer, the price tag is $2000.

They've also deep-sixed the their receiver category. I'm really puzzled by this treatment of their customers.
post #547 of 564 Old 03-17-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
Wow, they gave away the under $600 multi channel amp category which Outlaw filled with their new 5000 model. They've ditched(again) their UPA amp line completely. Now it looks like they're giving away the under $600 processor category to Outlaw. So now if you want a processor from Emotiva and you're a first time buyer, the price tag is $2000.

They've also deep-sixed the their receiver category. I'm really puzzled by this treatment of their customers.

I thought there was a new model in the works to the umc 200? Is this not true? I was thinking there was an umc 500 in the works did I hear this wrong. I hope not. I posted this a few posts up and got a good response to the question unless that's going to be around 2k for it.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...land-area.html GTG meet Plainfield IL. (Chicago land area)
post #548 of 564 Old 03-17-2015, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
I thought there was a new model in the works to the umc 200? Is this not true? I was thinking there was an umc 500 in the works did I hear this wrong. I hope not. I posted this a few posts up and got a good response to the question unless that's going to be around 2k for it.
What I'm saying is since the UMC-200 is cancelled, the only option one has right now is the $2000 XMC-1. Emotiva having something that they refer to as "in final development" or some such thing could easily be a year away if one looks at their track record. At any rate, either way Emotiva has left the $600 processor marketplace as a UMC-500 would be a higher model and cost more.
post #549 of 564 Old 03-17-2015, 01:19 PM

Your right I hope they speed up there development I would like to buy the newer model!

post #550 of 564 Old 03-17-2015, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Recent UMC-200 buyer here - I got one of the last ones off the boat. It does a fine job and is stable. Sounds good too. Very nice build quality. Recommended, if you can find a deal and the feature set works for you.

Comments from Big Dan (Emotiva CEO) the replacement for UMC-200 will ship "any day now". Emotiva time is the exact opposite of internet time or dog years. But I tend to believe him, as they easily could have ordered another container full of UMC-200's if they were a year out. The new entry level processor will be based on the XMC-1 platform with TI dsp and similar firmware, and built in Tennessee, USA. My WAG is the feature set will be similar to UMC-200. (four HDMI inputs, no balanced outputs).

Hope they can pull it off. XMC-1 seems well received. A less expensive processor would fill a niche that's unoccupied, except for the outlaw box, and cheap asian receivers with pre-out jacks.
eng-399 likes this.

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #551 of 564 Old 03-17-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Recent UMC-200 buyer here - I got one of the last ones off the boat. It does a fine job and is stable. Sounds good too. Very nice build quality. Recommended, if you can find a deal and the feature set works for you.

Comments from Big Dan (Emotiva CEO) the replacement for UMC-200 will ship "any day now". Emotiva time is the exact opposite of internet time or dog years. But I tend to believe him, as they easily could have ordered another container full of UMC-200's if they were a year out. The new entry level processor will be based on the XMC-1 platform with TI dsp and similar firmware, and built in Tennessee, USA. My WAG is the feature set will be similar to UMC-200. (four HDMI inputs, no balanced outputs).

Hope they can pull it off. XMC-1 seems well received. A less expensive processor would fill a niche that's unoccupied, except for the outlaw box, and cheap asian receivers with pre-out jacks.
This answers my earlier post... I think I will wait for the UMC-200 replacement. Thanks!
post #552 of 564 Old 03-22-2015, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I got one of the last 200 too, am satisfied with it, I certainly have no mula to get a Xmc-1, which look aesthetically "thick" to me anyways and have no need to chase the latest and greatest.
thrillcat likes this.
post #553 of 564 Old 03-26-2015, 08:53 AM

Keeping my fingers crossed on an UMC-200 replacement especially since they announced the XMC-1 is going up in price starting in May.
post #554 of 564 Old 03-26-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney1 View Post
Keeping my fingers crossed on an UMC-200 replacement especially since they announced the XMC-1 is going up in price starting in May.
They've already announced there's one coming, but they also implied today that it won't be available until potentially early 2016.

post #555 of 564 Old 03-26-2015, 09:00 AM

Early 2016 did they post that on Emotiva's website?

post #556 of 564 Old 03-26-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Early 2016 did they post that on Emotiva's website?
Lonnie posted it on the Lounge in regards to the XMR-1, the higher end unit. They didn't reference the entry-level unit at all, so it could come out sooner, but who knows.

post #557 of 564 Old 03-26-2015, 09:58 AM

Thanks for the information thrillcat!!!
thrillcat likes this.

post #558 of 564 Old 03-30-2015, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1617 Post(s)
Liked: 1373
I have the umc200 and like the xmc 1 but not the price tag for Canadian funds. If I mainly want dirac live is the nanodvr dl a good addition for me ? Looking at improving midrange and highs. Bass is good right now with my system. Can get nano used for 350 . My measurements in rew with my 5.4 is good.
post #559 of 564 Old 03-30-2015, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

^
I would recommend the DDRC-88A. The nanoAVR DL doesn't do bass management so you have to do it downstream in your AVR which can result in a distorted signal.
chalugadp likes this.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #560 of 564 Old 04-09-2015, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quick question. I have a umc 200 and just ran emoq for the first time to try it out with a new pair of goldenear speakers i just got. the sound it created was awful and extremely loud. I am used to loud but this was like ear hurting loud. i dont plan on ever doing it again because it came up with insane results. Im just wondering if this emoq calibration can cause damage to my new speakers.
post #561 of 564 Old 04-09-2015, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckubs View Post
Quick question. I have a umc 200 and just ran emoq for the first time to try it out with a new pair of goldenear speakers i just got. the sound it created was awful and extremely loud. I am used to loud but this was like ear hurting loud. i dont plan on ever doing it again because it came up with insane results. Im just wondering if this emoq calibration can cause damage to my new speakers.
EmoQ is hit or miss. About 90% of the time it's been miss for me on setting speaker distances & sizes, but the eq it does is a little more effective. It could be that the eq it's doing is interacting with the speaker levels you set with the test tones, both increasing the gain and making it sound louder. I would now go through and, with the EmoQ correction turned on, re-run the Test Tones and reset your individual speaker gains using an SPL meter.

It could very well be that you simply need to get accustomed to different volume level settings on the UMC200. You mentioned new speakers - are they significantly more efficient than those they replaced?

Also, EmoQ often turns out better results the 3rd or 4th time you run it. You might try making small adjustments to the mic location and running it again until you get one that sounds 'right' to you.

Or get REW and a UMIK-1 and use that instead of EmoQ. I finally took the time to sit down with REW last weekend and the difference is pretty substantial. It has a bit of a learning curve, and it takes more time, but if you really want to make the UMC-200 sound great, REW is the way to go. It's very powerful and free (though you'll need to buy a mic).

In the past, with my NHT speakers I preferred the Flat setting. Then I upgraded to B&W speakers and still preferred the Flat setting. A couple months ago I built some MTM speakers across the front and preferred the EmoQ results while I let them break in a bit. This weekend I ran REW a couple times and the second set of filters I got out of it sounded great in my room. Best it's sounded down there.

post #562 of 564 Old 04-09-2015, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
There's no way these tests can damage my speakers though right? Because it sounded rediculously loud... louder than I would ever turn it up
post #563 of 564 Old 04-09-2015, 06:18 AM

Quote:
There's no way these tests can damage my speakers though right? Because it sounded rediculously loud... louder than I would ever turn it up
Well, that really depends on your amp and your speakers. It will probably sound loud during the tests, but unless your amp is way overpowered for your speakers, you should be okay. I've never heard anyone claim an automated setup of any kind has damaged their speakers.

post #564 of 564 Old 04-09-2015, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, driving speakers with too much power and the right signal can and will damage them but I doubt EmoQ did any damage.
Do the woofers still move? Is there sound coming from the tweeters? If yes then everything is most likely just fine. If you want to be sure you would need to take electrical and acoustical measurements though.

Markus

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Monoprice 6ft Ultra Slim Series High Speed Hdmi Cable W Redmere Technology Black , Emotiva