How to add 3D source/TV *without* getting new AVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-04-2013, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a problem that some of you here may have also had and I am looking for advice.

I currently have a home theater with an Epson 6500 projector, HTPC and Pioneer VSX-23 AVR.
The Pioneer is older and has HDMI inputs/outputs that will not pass the new 3D signals (v. 1.4?).
I want to replace the 6500 with an Epson 5010e 3D projector (and a new HTPC which will output 3D) but I do not want to buy a new AVR.
The reason I dont want a new AVR is that I have Magneplanar speakers which I drive with a 300W per channel ADCOM amp driven by the pre-out outputs from the VSX-23. I have looked for a low end AVR which has pre-amp outputs to no avail. Apparently pre-outs are considered a high-end option. The cheapest Pioneer I could find with pre-outs is the Elite SC-61/63, which goes for about a grand!

So, here is my proposed solution:
take the HDMI output from the HTPC and split it using an HDMI splitter/replicator. Send one output to the Epson 5010 and one the VSX-23. This way, the VSX-23 can get the audio bitstream and the Epson 5010 can get a full HDMI 3D signal for the video. The question is: will this work? I mean the AVR will be getting a high frequency video signal that it can't handle (or even pass through). Will it choke on this or will it simply ignore it and process the audio?

I would like to have some confidence that this will work before I order the new projector. Does anyone have experience with something like this?

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-04-2013, 04:10 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked: 1510
Sorry, but no it won't work as the switch will read the non 3D EDID from the AVR and only pass 2D video to the PJ. Your best bet is to pass the HTPC(HDMI) to the PJ and HTPC(optical) to the AVR.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 7 Old 01-04-2013, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Sorry, but no it won't work as the switch will read the non 3D EDID from the AVR and only pass 2D video to the PJ. Your best bet is to pass the HTPC(HDMI) to the PJ and HTPC(optical) to the AVR.

Thanks. After I posted this, I found another article that basically says the same thing. I would do what you suggest but the Pioneer does not let you assign an optical or coax audio input with an HDMI input. I suppose they think "why would anyone want to do this?" since HDMI carries both video and audio. You are only allowed to pair an optical audio input with a component video input. Bummer. Looks like I have only one option: buy a new AVR. I have to say, this is probably the 4th time I have had to do this as the audio/video signal paths have evolved over the last 10 years and the VSX-23 is only two years old.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-04-2013, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainTiVO View Post

I would do what you suggest but the Pioneer does not let you assign an optical or coax audio input with an HDMI input. I suppose they think "why would anyone want to do this?" since HDMI carries both video and audio. You are only allowed to pair an optical audio input with a component video input. Bummer.

Hi CaptainTiVO, you can assign optical or coax audio input with HDMI input by turning off HDMI Control Kuro Link wink.gif.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-04-2013, 10:12 PM

I recently had this issue ... when I upgraded my computer which doubles as a HTPC I found a solution. I had already upgraded my AVR though. The solution I found was using the computer with a blu ray reader capable of 3-d I could use the multiple HDMIs out of my computer. One to the TV and one to the receiver. This allowed me to get HDMI sound (DTS-MA ect) as well as 3-d picture to my TV. Hope this helps
post #6 of 7 Old 01-05-2013, 02:35 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked: 1510
No reason to upgrade to a new AVR when you can use an HDMI--> Optical switch ....

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7 of 7 Old 01-11-2013, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpiontsi View Post

I recently had this issue ... when I upgraded my computer which doubles as a HTPC I found a solution. I had already upgraded my AVR though. The solution I found was using the computer with a blu ray reader capable of 3-d I could use the multiple HDMIs out of my computer. One to the TV and one to the receiver. This allowed me to get HDMI sound (DTS-MA ect) as well as 3-d picture to my TV. Hope this helps

You say "use the multiple HDMIs out of my computer". Where are the HDMIs? I mean, are both on the graphics card or is one on the motherboard and one on the card or what? Would you mind telling me which motherboard and graphics card you have?

Thanks.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page