Help me decide on an avr - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-04-2013, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I'm finally getting my 5.1 put together. With help from the folks in the speaker forum I ordered some Focal chorus 814v fronts, cc800 center and an Outlaw LFM-1 PLUS sub. (The 705 surrounds will get ordered shortly)
everything arrived yesterday and they are all beautiful. But I can't even listen to them because I can't make up my mind on an avr.
Every time I think ive made up my mind for some reason I do more research (mostly here) and I find tons of complaints. I'm assuming it's a vocal minority kind of thing since if people are having trouble they head here for help. But all the negatives scare me away.
Please give me some recommendations that should pair well with the focals. I'm trying to stay under $600 and I don't mind refurbs.
Thanks for any thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-04-2013, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
First I'd get rid of that notion of "pairing" your speakers with an avr. Sounds like you're picking a wine for dinner. Do the Focals have particular amp needs (not familiar with them other than the name)? Do they have 4ohm ratings and need to go lower on occasion? How efficient are they? What spl are those speakers capable of and what are you trying to achieve via the avr's amps?

So what are your three favorite AVRs? Personally I'd look for some more sales on the Onkyo 818, a nice AVR with Audyssey XT32 and some other nice features. It was going for $679 recently.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #3 of 8 Old 01-04-2013, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

@Lovin- The 814's are 8ohm and 91.5 dbl. They are supposed to be fairly easy to drive. Not sure on spl.
I do prefer my music and movies loud.
And I really don't have a favorite because of my limited experience with any of them.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-04-2013, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by billg221 View Post

Hey guys, I'm finally getting my 5.1 put together. With help from the folks in the speaker forum I ordered some Focal chorus 814v fronts, cc800 center and an Outlaw LFM-1 PLUS sub. (The 705 surrounds will get ordered shortly)
everything arrived yesterday and they are all beautiful. But I can't even listen to them because I can't make up my mind on an avr.
Every time I think ive made up my mind for some reason I do more research (mostly here) and I find tons of complaints. I'm assuming it's a vocal minority kind of thing since if people are having trouble they head here for help. But all the negatives scare me away.
Please give me some recommendations that should pair well with the focals. I'm trying to stay under $600 and I don't mind refurbs.
Thanks for any thoughts.

All are at your price point:

refrub:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR809/Onkyo-TX-NR809-7.2-Channel-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html

new with a 3 yr warranty
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/SHERR972/SHERWOOD-R-972-Newcastle-7.1-A/V-Surround-Receiver-TrueHD-DTS-HD/1.html

refurb:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR2313CI/DENON-AVR-2313CI-7.2-4K-3D-Pass-Through-Networking-Receiver/1.html

new:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0054N9RQQ/ref=s9_hps_bw_g23_ir07?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-6&pf_rd_r=094K4Z6AD7GXJBTABC37&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1443111422&pf_rd_i=667846011

Look for something with pre-outs in case you want to add an external amp later.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-04-2013, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I was originally looking at the onkyo's, but there are tons of threads about reliability issues. Should I be concerned?
And with the denon, would the 30 less watts even make a difference or would that still be plenty of power?
post #6 of 8 Old 01-04-2013, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
I have an Onkyo, no issues so far but my two year old Pioneer 919 died. All electronics aren't as well made as once upon a time, they have limited life, some may last a few years, some many. Forums have more complaints from the anal than praise from the general consumer. Depends on use and environment, too. What's the specific watt difference, is that an rms per channel difference or some peak figure difference? Consider it takes a doubling of wattage to raise spl by 3db, small differences mean very little in real output terms but will depend on the efficiency/sensitivity of your speakers. With an avr now I would be more concerned with having pre-outs for use with power amps as needed, features for connectivity that work for your setup, and what room correction software is built-in....as long as it has say 70-120 w/ch not a huge difference in spl in most cases.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #7 of 8 Old 01-04-2013, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I have an Onkyo, no issues so far but my two year old Pioneer 919 died. All electronics aren't as well made as once upon a time, they have limited life, some may last a few years, some many. Forums have more complaints from the anal than praise from the general consumer. Depends on use and environment, too. What's the specific watt difference, is that an rms per channel difference or some peak figure difference? Consider it takes a doubling of wattage to raise spl by 3db, small differences mean very little in real output terms but will depend on the efficiency/sensitivity of your speakers. With an avr now I would be more concerned with having pre-outs for use with power amps as needed, features for connectivity that work for your setup, and what room correction software is built-in....as long as it has say 70-120 w/ch not a huge difference in spl in most cases.

Thanks, I'll probably look harder at the onkyos. You have to go so damn high in the denon line to get pre-outs.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-05-2013, 02:14 AM

Liked: 23
Denon avr 4311ci can do. Got mine for 1200
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page