Yamaha RX-V473 - airplay streaming + TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-05-2013, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been struggling to get this receiver set up properly. The latest issue is that I want to be able to put the tv on in the background but listen to music via airplay streaming. I can't figure out how to do this. I know how to map analog audio inputs to hdmi inputs but it illis like the receiver doesn't support the ability to listen to music and watch tv (or use any other input for video). The tv displays the stupid airplay screen from the receiver whenever I use airplay. Any thoughts on whether this is possible to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-05-2013, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I've never known mine to be able to do this, and the fact that in the manual (p.59) it says that while Airplay is going, selecting any other input will stop Airplay playback makes me think that it's not possible.

Workarounds would be to (a) buy an HDMI splitter and run one cable through the receiver and the other directly to the TV to bypass the receiver when Airplay is on (might cause handshake issues) or (b) use an external source to play iTunes music into the receiver. Neither of these is really a convenient solution.

If it's important to you, maybe ask a new, more general question whether any receivers have this capability. I'm not that any does.

post #3 of 6 Old 01-05-2013, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Makes sense although this seems like a very basic use case - listening to music and watching tv at the same time. I will probably end up running my cable box into two different inputs in my receiver -- one of which I will use for playing the cable box audio through, and then will likely just buy an airplay device that I can map against the second input from the cable box. Effectively bypassing the built in airplay in the receiver. Sigh. More cables to use and I guess I am not going to take advantage of the built in airplay support which is a real shame. This seems like such a stupid thing for the receiver to not support...
post #4 of 6 Old 01-06-2013, 10:46 AM

I ran into the same problem and my solution was simply to rearrange wires so the tv was directly connected to the video source and airplay was being used to play music on the speaker system. Obviously we wish that the receiver could handle the multitask but this way you don't need to buy extra accessories, it really only takes 10 seconds, and if you wanted to hear both audio sources at the same time you have the option of turning up the volume on the tv. Then I just switch the wires back when I watch tv normally. I know this post was made in hopes of not doing what I just explained but its not that bad. In the meantime we can hope for a firmware update that may solve this issue!
post #5 of 6 Old 01-06-2013, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Yea - totally. I guess I was hoping for something that didn't require me to switch cables or switch the hdmi input on the tv. Hopefully firmware will fix this. Any idea how frequently yamaha issues firmware updates? Probably not all that frequently... frown.gif
post #6 of 6 Old 01-06-2013, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Actually Yamaha has upgraded the firmware on the 473 a few times since I've owned it (five months or so). But don't hold out hope for the firmware enabling this--i.e., there could be a hardware issue preventing it.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V473 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V473 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page