Emotiva UMC-200 & XPA-5, or Pioneer Elite SC-65? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-05-2013, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 35
So I had been going back and forth between these choices, and the Audioholics review of the UMC-200 came out....and I'm still stuck.

I was primarily concerned about SQ and the ability to go loud without strain, but I decided on Wharfedale 10.2 monitors for the fronts and probably a PSA vented sub. With his config, I'm guessing both the Elite and the Emotiva could give me sufficient power and great SQ. At that point, it comes down to features and reliability, doesn't it?

Do you guys think there would be a big difference in sound quality or overall output between the two, especially considering I'll be sending all the low-end to a sub?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-05-2013, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Anybody have any opinions on this one?
post #3 of 12 Old 01-07-2013, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Bump.
post #4 of 12 Old 01-07-2013, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Both options would be good for different reasons, so it might depend on your priorities and expectations. The Pioneer would be quite feature laden compared to the UMC, and quite flexible. On the other hand, those Wharfdale's are not efficient and may need more power to fill your room to wanted levels. It might help to know the size of your room and the volume levels you're expecting.

If you have a larger room, you might want to go for the Emotiva option, depending on how loud you need to go. One other option is to get the Pioneer and then 6 months down the road, when Emotiva has their July 4 sale, pick up the XPA-5.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-08-2013, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

The room is 13x25. Do you really think the Pioneer would be underpowered? It's rated at 140w per each of the 9 channels. I don't care about the extra channels, so I was thinking I'd use the extra channels to biamp the mains. The Sc-65 allows for that.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-08-2013, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter

As for how loud, I usually listen at lower levels but I'd like the ability to go to 90db or so. I don't know how to figure out if that's possible using the speaker's efficiency and power rating for the amp.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-08-2013, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopianemo View Post

As for how loud, I usually listen at lower levels but I'd like the ability to go to 90db or so. I don't know how to figure out if that's possible using the speaker's efficiency and power rating for the amp.
90 db on the peaks only requires a watt or two so just about any amp would do. Now if the peaks are 10db or 20db greater than that then you would need 10 to 100 watts still easily handled by many amps.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-08-2013, 09:43 AM

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopianemo View Post

Funny, my room is almost exactly the same size, although the back is open into the kitchen(split level).

In that case, you'd be fine with the Pioneer, being as how you listen at lower levels. You could reach 90 db in your room without maxing out the Pioneer. A couple of years down the road you might get curious about an amp, and since that Pioneer has the pre outs to drive one, you'd be all set.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-08-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 255
SPL (loudness) calculator: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #10 of 12 Old 01-27-2013, 03:25 PM

Liked: 11
So what did you get? I'm pretty happy with the UMC-200.

Chris

post #11 of 12 Old 01-27-2013, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't purchased either yet. I have to redo my electrical service first and I'm dragging my feet because I'm pretty busy these days. I plan on buying the pioneer Elite. It is probably the less pragmatic choice due to the fact that long-term, the processor will be outdated before the amp(so an AVR purchase over an amp/pre-pro basically means having to upgrade both the amplification and the processing when the time comes).

Having said that, I think the Pio will more than drive my speakers, I really value the iPod interactivity, and I'm a new convert to the idea of a wifi-centric remote control app. I use my iPod touch to control my Roku and I love it. I've heard that like the Roku app, the Elite app is very user-friendly and has a LOT of functionality. The ability to control my HT from any wifi hotspot in the world is just freaking cool.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-06-2013, 10:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscpm View Post

So what did you get? I'm pretty happy with the UMC-200.

"Pretty happy"? What do you wish it could do better? or what is it missing? I'm looking to upgrade my Onkyo to seperates.

Living Room
*NHT ThreeC *NHT Classic Three's (4) *Denon 3313ci *Outlaw Audio LFM-1EX (2)

Game Room
*NHT Absolute Tower (2) *Denon E300
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page