Receiver with Airplay support but speaker connections for 7.1 + Zone 2 Speaker Connections ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-06-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm looking at possibly getitng a receiver, but want to setup a pair of speakers for outside. I'm also going to be wiring 7.1 Klipsch Reference in the living room. Are there any receivers (that won't break the bank) that allow 7.1 in main zone, and zone 2 outside speakers without requiring an external amp (i.e. speaker terminals, not RCAs)?

Ideally Airplay to Zone 2 as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 04:40 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1977 Post(s)
Liked: 1747
Depends on whether you want a true Zone 2 setup (w/independent source/volume control) which requires a 9.1 AVR (eg. Denon 4311CI on clearance) or whether you can live with the same source as is playing in the main zone in which case you can use an AVR with dedicated Front B speaker posts (eg. Marantz 5006).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 01-07-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgenius View Post

I'm looking at possibly getitng a receiver, but want to setup a pair of speakers for outside. I'm also going to be wiring 7.1 Klipsch Reference in the living room. Are there any receivers (that won't break the bank) that allow 7.1 in main zone, and zone 2 outside speakers without requiring an external amp (i.e. speaker terminals, not RCAs)?
Ideally Airplay to Zone 2 as well.

You should not try to chase down such a product, for it doesn't exist AFAIK.

Instead, buy a $99 AppleTV to use for Airplay, and add this for $25 to run analog for Zone2.

Now you can choose any 9.1 receiver you'd like that supports normal 7.1/powered Zone 2, with the additional $125 cost. Plus, a real AppleTV is going to be far less buggy than any receiver with built-in Airplay.

EDIT: The Denon AVR-4520CI may do what you need, and maybe one of the hi-end Onkyos as well. Regardless, those are going to be $$$$, and you should just spend the $125 as described above, to give you better flexibility at a lower price.