2013 4K Harman Kardon AVR 2700 & 3700 receivers - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #361 of 793 Old 01-05-2014, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hi. I've been lurking for a while after buying a 3700.
I finally figured out most features and have it working well with my Samsung un60f8000bf.

I can't figure out why the avr goes into standby mode after an hour when the input source is TV.
When I watch streaming video on a tv app, it'll go into standby every 60 minutes, i have to turn it back on and all is good for another hour.

It doesn't do this when the input source is cable or disc.
Disc to avr hdmi 1, cable box to avr hdmi 2 and only one hdmi to (arc) hdmi on TV.

I use the arc feature between my tv and avr. All of the cec/anynet is enabled and works as it should.
I disabled all of the TVs Eco stuff and turned off the avr's screensaver without any difference.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

Onkyo TX-NR929/11.1 | Outlaw 7125 | Polk:  CSi A6 C | RTi A9 powered by qsc gx5  L&R | tsx110b Ht,Wd,SS and SB | Sub - Rythmik FV15HP | Samsung 60" UN60F8000BF | Samsung BD-F5900 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 793 Old 01-06-2014, 01:24 PM

Liked: 11
Chris,

My 3700 does it once every 3 weeks or so. Have no idea what the issue is. Seems random. Hope other owners respond.
post #363 of 793 Old 01-06-2014, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I also had the problem with my 2700. I emailed HK support and this is the reply I received: 'Please check if the audio signals coming from the optical connection of your TV is variable. I mean to say whether the optical cable’s signal power is related to the volume level of the TV itself. If this is the case, then please keep your TV’s volume level as 60% of the maximum. Now check for the issue.'. I only used this for my XBMC Media Player which I had connected directly to my TV and ran the optical cable from TV to my HK 2700. I was using the volume on the media player. I then left it at max and was sending a full signal to my TV and to the receiver. I was also told if this didn't fix the problem to do a full processor reset. I did this just to make sure. Now I leave the volume on the media player at max and the problem seemed to be gone. I left it one for a few hours and it seemed ok. But I missed the on screen display and the video processing so I purchased from Best Buy a Rocketfish 2 way HDMI Splitter http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/pr...r/RF-G1182.htm. I wish it had pass through but wouldn't give it up so I found a solution. I love the sound. I have one output going to my TV and one to my av receiver. Works every time...

Update: 1 Aug 2014
HK released a firmware update which appears to have cured the problem of the 2700/3700 shutting off after 1 hour when using the TV input. Also appears to make going though the on screen menus quicker. Very easy to install, haven't had the receiver shut down since installing the update when using the TV input. I hardly use the TV input since I use the HDMI Spitter.

Last edited by Paulo72; 08-01-2014 at 02:00 PM.
post #364 of 793 Old 01-06-2014, 07:34 PM

Liked: 12

I have a similar question that I’m sure you guys could answer. I too have the 3700. This is my problem. When I turn the receiver off it is on HDMI 2 CAB/SAT. When I will Turn it back on to watch TV which is provided by DIRECTV hence the sat. It will say CAB/Sat for a second then switch to TV? I have to use the remote to switch it back to cab/sat. It’s kind of aggravating. I have an optical out going to the TV in on the 3700 for my Netflix on the TV (It’s a Samsung 7100) but I have tried with it hooked up and not and I get the same results. I only have the optical cable hooked up because I can’t get the Darn thing to work with ARC. So I have the use the optical for Netflix. I do use HDMI out to the TV and have my blue ray player hooked up to HDMI 5 I think it is. IF someone could help with the ARC not working or the receiver switching to TV when I’m trying to watch SAT that would be awesome!   I do have all the ECO stuff disabled on the TV.

post #365 of 793 Old 01-06-2014, 08:49 PM

The self-induced sleep mode seems to be controlled. It's predictable. Every 60 mins sleep will occur if the avr is in tv mode (when I'm watching Netflix on TVs app) and I don't command the avr to do anything .
If I do command it (volume change or menu request) it'll reset the hour count down.
It makes sense that a signal from the tv is adequate enough and allows the avr's firmware to put it to sleep. I use the ARC. There's no signal to adjust.

This is almost negligible since I tweak settings on the avr regularly, but it isn't right. I don't think a processor reset would do much if it's only reloading the same firmware.

I am really growing attached to the 3700 for it's no nonsense approach to awesome sound. I like the looks too.

My avr does return to tv input after I restart my htr system even if I was watching cable through hdmi 2 prior to shutdown. I think this has more to do with the tv and the cec comms then anything on HKs side.

Onkyo TX-NR929/11.1 | Outlaw 7125 | Polk:  CSi A6 C | RTi A9 powered by qsc gx5  L&R | tsx110b Ht,Wd,SS and SB | Sub - Rythmik FV15HP | Samsung 60" UN60F8000BF | Samsung BD-F5900 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #366 of 793 Old 01-07-2014, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckindt View Post
 I think this has more to do with the tv and the cec comms then anything on HKs side.

How can the TV be telling the receiver to switch to a different mode?

post #367 of 793 Old 01-07-2014, 07:06 AM

It's no different than if you turn on any other CEC enabled device attached to another input on the avr not currently selected as the input source.

The avr detects the device turning on and switches to that as the new source whether you like it our not - like when you turn on your BD player accidentally and the avr makes you view the signal.

post #368 of 793 Old 01-07-2014, 02:54 PM

I called HK today to ask about my avr's narcolepsy. They were quick to say that's a known problem and I should take it back to the place of purchase for an exchange for a better one.
Ok. confused.gif I asked how he knew there is a better one and it won't happen again. He just said mine probably got dropped or bounced a lot during shipping. Ok. Then he continued to explain how there are delicate electronics and boards in it that became faulty.

I just said ok and hung up.

There's no more in stock until next Monday so I'll wait til then to exchange it.

post #369 of 793 Old 01-07-2014, 03:29 PM

Are we talking about the shutting off problem? If so I think I'll return mine?
post #370 of 793 Old 01-07-2014, 05:11 PM

Yes, when it goes to sleep after an uncertain period or time. Although in my case, it is certain. Every hour when in tv input mode.

post #371 of 793 Old 01-08-2014, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 173
since 'sleep mode' is being discussed, i'll throw in my experience. sadly, i had to return 2 of the 3700 (both with build dates of september) because of this and the static dolby volume added to my tweeters. it would shut off just about every 2 to 4 hours. tried a second avr and it did the same thing. then thought it must be my speakers or cable. tried different ones, along with much other trouble shooting, and it still shut off so i gave up. (might also add this was at low volume levels, rarely above -45)

the marantz i got to replace it does not do this! (so its not a samsung caused issue.) its not nearly as easy to set up, but it stays on and sounds clear (no static.) i was so disappointed the h/k had issues, but after some tweaking i'm warming up to its replacement!

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. Emp Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
post #372 of 793 Old 01-09-2014, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmart View Post

since 'sleep mode' is being discussed, i'll throw in my experience. sadly, i had to return 2 of the 3700 (both with build dates of september) 

My 3700 is a sept build as well.  I don't think my problem is as yours though.  It only shuts off when it is on tv mode threw optical.  Since i only watch it on tv mode when i watch netflix im not that worried about it. If it were to shut off on DVD or Cab/SAT I would be returning it and going another route.  I hope they may fix any minor issues with this receiver threw firmware updates  

post #373 of 793 Old 01-09-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmart View Post

since 'sleep mode' is being discussed, i'll throw in my experience. sadly, i had to return 2 of the 3700 (both with build dates of september) because of this and the static dolby volume added to my tweeters. it would shut off just about every 2 to 4 hours. tried a second avr and it did the same thing. then thought it must be my speakers or cable. tried different ones, along with much other trouble shooting, and it still shut off so i gave up. (might also add this was at low volume levels, rarely above -45)

the marantz i got to replace it does not do this! (so its not a samsung caused issue.) its not nearly as easy to set up, but it stays on and sounds clear (no static.) i was so disappointed the h/k had issues, but after some tweaking i'm warming up to its replacement!

great. now i question whether I will try another 3700 or just bail and go a different route.

Mine only shuts off during TV w/ARC input, not with any other hdmi input selected.

It sounds so good though.  What are some other competitive avrs to the 3700?

post #374 of 793 Old 01-09-2014, 09:59 AM

I was bummed about my 2700 shutting off when using my xbmc media player (connected to tv using hdmi and then run optical to the receiver). I found a fix, I purchased from Best Buy a Rocketfish 2 way HDMI Splitter http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/products/home-theater/RF-G1182.html. I wish it had pass through but wouldn't give it up so I found a solution. I love the sound. I have one output going to my TV and one to my av receiver. Works every time. Now I see the volume dispay on the TV (don't see it using the optical cable), and will see the menu's and use the video processor ()which works pretty good). Yes, it is a pain, but I don't know if I could give up the sound and the dolby volume. Was thiking about a denon x2000/3000. I wonder if the audyssey multi eq/xt would make it better for movies?
idon't find any degridation in sound or picture using the HDMI Splitter.
post #375 of 793 Old 01-09-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo72 View Post

I was bummed about my 2700 shutting off when using my xbmc media player (connected to tv using hdmi and then run optical to the receiver). I found a fix, I purchased from Best Buy a Rocketfish 2 way HDMI Splitter http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/products/home-theater/RF-G1182.html. I wish it had pass through but wouldn't give it up so I found a solution. I love the sound. I have one output going to my TV and one to my av receiver. Works every time. Now I see the volume dispay on the TV (don't see it using the optical cable), and will see the menu's and use the video processor ()which works pretty good). Yes, it is a pain, but I don't know if I could give up the sound and the dolby volume. Was thiking about a denon x2000/3000. I wonder if the audyssey multi eq/xt would make it better for movies?

I read this a few times and I can't draw any parallels to the splitter and the sleep problem.  This sounds like a clever solution to the lack of pass through, but is irrelevant to the unwanted sleepy time problem.

This seems more like an add. I've read it on other posts...hmmm.

Thanks for the input.

post #376 of 793 Old 01-09-2014, 04:26 PM

I know the splitter didn't fix the problem. My 1 year warranty ain't up yet, thinking of returning the unit and getting a denon x2000/3000. I think the audyssey multi eq/xt would make a nice surround field with movies. I just hope I like the sound as much as I do the HK 2700. The sleep problem is certainly a defect Many other have complained of the same problem.
post #377 of 793 Old 01-09-2014, 06:02 PM

Does anybody know what size capacitors the 2700 has?
post #378 of 793 Old 01-09-2014, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckindt View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo72 View Post

I read this a few times and I can't draw any parallels to the splitter and the sleep problem.  This sounds like a clever solution to the lack of pass through, but is irrelevant to the unwanted sleepy time problem.

This seems more like an add. I've read it on other posts...hmmm.

Thanks for the input.

i, too, was instantly wooed by the h/k sound! it has taken me almost 2 solid weeks to get used to not having 'it.' from what i've read, the marantz also is more on the 'warm' side. at first it was underwhelming. running audyssey made a major improvement. yesterday i got my upgraded surround speakers and that made a huge difference as well. a little more fine tuning today and its getting better, or i'm just getting more used to it!

never tried just music or blurays for hours to see if it would turn off on its own that way. for all you owners i do hope its a simple firmware fix. seems like it might just be software related since it isn't going into protect mode.

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. Emp Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
post #379 of 793 Old 01-09-2014, 06:55 PM

Yea I think a firmware update would take care of this as well; however I think i read somewhere that HK was combative when told about this problem?  I think it was in this thread where someone said it was being talked about in forums and they basiclly told him they dont care what is said here.  And that's fine, but if a firmware solution is not offered this will be my last harmon receiver!!!   There are too many other good manufactures out there.  I will give them some time though because I understand sometimes issues take time.  I just hope they dont get the "I dont give a crap attitude." THey supposedly have with there JBL subs :)  I know i wont touch one with a 10 foot pole because of the reputation and I hope there receivers dont take that toll as well.

post #380 of 793 Old 01-09-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

^without looking back in the thread, i think you're correct. i vaguely recall reading something like that. its a real shame if they don't listen to their customers. i mean, how many returns can they take and still stay in business?!

post #381 of 793 Old 01-09-2014, 11:00 PM

Liked: 10
Hi
I'm trying to connect avr 2700 to klipsch RF 62 II and sw310 sub for the first time. I connected network and I do see my media server but no sound. I tried connecting to my old TV composite input, I see the picture but no sound. Essentially I tried HDMI input and composite inputs no sound. Not sure what the problem is? Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong here? Pls help.
post #382 of 793 Old 01-10-2014, 04:23 AM

Please email HK if your 2700/3700 shuts off when using optical inputs. Hopefully they will listen and provide a firmware update if enough people complain....
post #383 of 793 Old 01-10-2014, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veekayavs View Post

Hi
I'm trying to connect avr 2700 to klipsch RF 62 II and sw310 sub for the first time. I connected network and I do see my media server but no sound. I tried connecting to my old TV composite input, I see the picture but no sound. Essentially I tried HDMI input and composite inputs no sound. Not sure what the problem is? Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong here? Pls help.

Does it work if you listen to the Radio?  If so then there is probably a setting that needs to be changed.  Make sure you are using the right input.  For instance Cab/Sat is hdmi in #2.  Also as many have stated in this thread as me as well when you turn your receiver on it will prob default to TV.  There is no HDMI input for that so you may have to change it back to the source you have your hdmi cable hooked up too.   On the "set up source" mode you can change the output to the TV.  I think it also defaults to HDMI as well in your case you may need to change that to Composite.  Hope this helps you.

post #384 of 793 Old 01-10-2014, 08:04 PM

I returned my 3700 tonight.

While I was in line at customer service I saw a 2700 on the clearance rack, the only AVR there. Interesting I thought.

I already knew I was replacing the 3700 with an onkyo 929.

I told the salesman (different one) I just returned the 3700 and he told me he never recommends HK for the same reason i returned it. They have floor models to demo surround sound that don't start up and require full power cycles or fall asleep on their own. My same experience.  What a crummy AVR.  I thought HK was good.

On to the onkyo..... i type while I wait for it to finish downloading its new firmware that it found on its own on the internet - smooth.

Good luck! Update complete.

post #385 of 793 Old 01-11-2014, 05:12 AM

I wanted the 3700 to work. It didn't

I run plex on my home media server.  That didn't work with the 3700 either. I wasn't sure if it was the 3700 or some other issue, but after successfully connecting and enjoying streaming music without hiccups and pauses on the 929 I realized it was just another issue with the 3700.  What a shame.

I didn't even run the room correction, but I can say it does sound better, to me, than the 3700. There's more fullness in the mid-range. 

With the 3700 you sort of have to settle for the what the HK sounds like with minimal tweaking potential. I'm a tweaker as most probably are around here, so I appreciate all of the various audio manipulating features of the 929. Of course this is where the cost difference is realized.

post #386 of 793 Old 01-11-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian4274 View Post

Does it work if you listen to the Radio?  If so then there is probably a setting that needs to be changed.  Make sure you are using the right input.  For instance Cab/Sat is hdmi in #2.  Also as many have stated in this thread as me as well when you turn your receiver on it will prob default to TV.  There is no HDMI input for that so you may have to change it back to the source you have your hdmi cable hooked up too.   On the "set up source" mode you can change the output to the TV.  I think it also defaults to HDMI as well in your case you may need to change that to Composite.  Hope this helps you.
Hey Brian,
Thanks for the response. Well I tried hooking up to my living room TV. I have audio coming into my TV but nothing to the speakers. I turned the audio to hdmi option turned off too but no luck.
I have a old receiver, I replaced it with this one still no audio. I really ran out of options... tried network, dish inputs but still no sound. Just not sure what is wrong. Is it the receiver ? Or is it some option ( I think I tried all options ) ... it is really frustrating. And worst there is no test tone.... tried auto, manual options.
post #387 of 793 Old 01-12-2014, 08:53 AM

hello,

I want to buy a HK AVR 370. Can anyone tell me if i can control it or play music  from my laptop via wifi? 

Thanks

post #388 of 793 Old 01-12-2014, 09:03 AM

It can't be controlled from your laptop, but you can play music from your laptop.

I don't recommend buying it. There are known issues with it randomly going to sleep and not being able to switch on after it's been in standby mode for a long period of time.

post #389 of 793 Old 01-12-2014, 12:00 PM

Thank you for a quick answer. 

Can you tell me how can i play music from my laptop? I can't find on producer site.

Thank you

post #390 of 793 Old 01-12-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene2013 View Post

The iphone app also doesn't work. It crashes immediately on startup.

It's not a big deal, but when you contact HK they say they don't know about this problem, it should work.

I told them to look at the app reviews, because lots of people have the same problem. I got a reply back:

"Please understand that we will not dwell on private expression of opinions in Internet forums. Internet forums are a starting point for the exchange of personal opinions and should not be assessed.

There are no known issue with the HK Remote app."

After debugging and analyzing my network traffic, I found the reason why HK iPhone remote app immediately crashes on startup.

I have Synology NAS on my network with DLNA media server installed. Seems that Synology will listen to some broadcast from HK remote app and answers with reply, which crashes the app.

When I disconnected or shut down the Synology, HK remote app started working. Temporary solution was to add exception to Synology firewall, to block UDP port 1900 traffic from my iPhone and HK receiver IP addresses.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Harman Kardon Avr 2700 7 1 Channel Av Receiver , Harman Kardon Avr 3700 7 2 Channel Av Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page