2013 4K Harman Kardon AVR 2700 & 3700 receivers - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 793 Old 01-30-2013, 02:13 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 5,674
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 2278
DTS Neo X supports matrixing and front height. To me, the effect wasn't worth anything so I gave it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T2k View Post

I have a question, people using Front Heights: beside ProLogic IIz can you use other matrixing like Logic 7 with Front Heights for music? I understand for movies PLIIz should be the best w/ FH but what about music etc?

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
imagic is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 793 Old 01-31-2013, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
T2k
 
T2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

DTS Neo X supports matrixing and front height. To me, the effect wasn't worth anything so I gave it up.

I see, thanks.
What do you think, how would, say, Logic 7 for music (stereo to 7.1) would sound if my physical speaker config is FHs? Obviously if you had a similar config and DTS Neo:X did let you choose music matrixing then it did take it into account - what would you say, just how did it sound? Worse than regular 7.1 (w/ rear surrounds), better or no difference?

I'm trying to decide whether it makes sense to set up for FH instead of my standard 7.1... if FH works out better for movies then the next issue will be whether HK's matrixing will take that into account ie will let me choose Logic 7 at all if I have a FH config set...?
T2k is offline  
post #33 of 793 Old 02-05-2013, 01:40 AM
Newbie
 
ethompson6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a pioneer elite 52.
I can get the 3700 for $600, is it worth upgrading? Is it even an upgrade?
ethompson6 is offline  
post #34 of 793 Old 02-05-2013, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
T2k
 
T2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethompson6 View Post

I currently have a pioneer elite 52.
I can get the 3700 for $600, is it worth upgrading? Is it even an upgrade?

It depends... that's from 2011, right? If you are crazy about badges like THX then it might not be - but if you want 4K, front heights, dual bass etc then it might be.

Where do you get it for $600?
T2k is offline  
post #35 of 793 Old 02-05-2013, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
T2k
 
T2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
M-Code,

look what I've found: http://www.avcesar.com/test/amplificateur/id-48/harman-kardon-avr-370/page-1.html

First sentence, according to Chrome's translation, says
Quote:
"The amplifier 7.2 Harman Kardon AVR-370 is a milestone in the range of U.S. manufacturer with the integration of a Class D amplifier instead of the usual Class A / B (until last year)."


So is it Class AB or is it not...?
T2k is offline  
post #36 of 793 Old 02-05-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
M Code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Joshua Tree, CA
Posts: 9,903
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by T2k View Post

M-Code,

look what I've found: http://www.avcesar.com/test/amplificateur/id-48/harman-kardon-avr-370/page-1.html

First sentence, according to Chrome's translation, says


So is it Class AB or is it not...?

Are you doubting M Code.. rolleyes.gif
That French publication is video oriented not audio, so they don't know the difference between an SMPS or Class D amplifier..confused.gif
Maybe you should double check with HK.. biggrin.gif

Just my $0.02... wink.gif
M Code is offline  
post #37 of 793 Old 02-05-2013, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jproy13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East of West, Canada
Posts: 1,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
mmhhh, for what it's worth, they were not impress with room correction, the fact that there is no "Pure Audio" mode, there is no parametric EQ???, really??, not very many DSP, who cares?, no "Cinema EQ" and they were not impressed with the GUI's layout (if I'm understanding correctly)

they did like the "warmth" and the "dynamic" or music playback, the way it handled "bass", multichannel stereo mode, more power than they could ever imagine, 4k passthrough, Airplay compability and the WiFi, the backlit remote and the receiver's general esthetics.

cheers


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jproy13 is offline  
post #38 of 793 Old 02-05-2013, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jproy13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East of West, Canada
Posts: 1,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The 3700 is starting to pop up at some retailers (etailers) here in Canada. Who's going to be the first "guinea pig"??biggrin.gif


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jproy13 is offline  
post #39 of 793 Old 02-06-2013, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
T2k
 
T2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jproy13 View Post

mmhhh, for what it's worth, they were not impress with room correction, the fact that there is no "Pure Audio" mode, there is no parametric EQ???, really??, not very many DSP, who cares?, no "Cinema EQ" and they were not impressed with the GUI's layout (if I'm understanding correctly)

They are wrong on many of them, I don't even bother listing them up, along with the fact that they have no clue about video either.
Quote:
they did like the "warmth" and the "dynamic" or music playback, the way it handled "bass", multichannel stereo mode, more power than they could ever imagine, 4k passthrough, Airplay compability and the WiFi, the backlit remote and the receiver's general esthetics.

cheers

Meh. French. biggrin.gif
T2k is offline  
post #40 of 793 Old 02-06-2013, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
T2k
 
T2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

Are you doubting M Code.. rolleyes.gif
That French publication is video oriented not audio, so they don't know the difference between an SMPS or Class D amplifier..confused.gif
Maybe you should double check with HK.. biggrin.gif

Just my $0.02... wink.gif

biggrin.gif not at all, I was just curious what do you say... they sounds rather clueless, I agree - with al lthat "video-oriented" review they apparently do not even have a clue WTH is Faroudja, they seem to think they are still the old chips (nowadays it is some technology leftover, owned by STmicro, integrated into their ready-to-go solutions.)

We should see more reviews popping up soon, I guess.
T2k is offline  
post #41 of 793 Old 02-06-2013, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
T2k
 
T2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jproy13 View Post

The 3700 is starting to pop up at some retailers (etailers) here in Canada. Who's going to be the first "guinea pig"??biggrin.gif

I'd but not at MSRP... that $600 ethompson6 mentioned sounds about right for being a guinea pig... cool.gif
T2k is offline  
post #42 of 793 Old 02-06-2013, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
T2k
 
T2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
T2k is offline  
post #43 of 793 Old 02-06-2013, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
M Code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Joshua Tree, CA
Posts: 9,903
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by T2k View Post

I'd but not at MSRP... that $600 ethompson6 mentioned sounds about right for being a guinea pig... cool.gif

The $600 is dealer cost, Harman employee accomodation cost is $384...

Just my $0.02... wink.gif
M Code is offline  
post #44 of 793 Old 02-06-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
M Code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Joshua Tree, CA
Posts: 9,903
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by T2k View Post

biggrin.gif not at all, I was just curious what do you say... they sounds rather clueless, I agree - with al lthat "video-oriented" review they apparently do not even have a clue WTH is Faroudja, they seem to think they are still the old chips (nowadays it is some technology leftover, owned by STmicro, integrated into their ready-to-go solutions.)

We should see more reviews popping up soon, I guess.

The 270/2700/370/3700 still use the previous processors from Cirrus Logic and Faroujda but they added the SMSC/BridgeCo processor used in the 7550HD/760/660...
Their next HK AVR lineup (Spring 2014) will move up to the latest available audio and video processors, too early to release too much info about these but they are a significant performance upgrade...

Just my $0.02... wink.gif
M Code is offline  
post #45 of 793 Old 02-06-2013, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
T2k
 
T2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

The 270/2700/370/3700 still use the previous processors from Cirrus Logic and Faroujda but they added the SMSC/BridgeCo processor used in the 7550HD/760/660...

As fair as I know neither was able to do 4K yet these units apparently do scale to 4K so please, elaborate...
Quote:
Their next HK AVR lineup (Spring 2014) will move up to the latest available audio and video processors, too early to release too much info about these but they are a significant performance upgrade...

Just my $0.02... wink.gif

Well, there's always a better one coming... wink.gif
T2k is offline  
post #46 of 793 Old 02-06-2013, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jproy13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East of West, Canada
Posts: 1,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
They are wrong on many of them, I don't even bother listing them up, along with the fact that they have no clue about video either.

Indeed, the review is pretty much a "cut and paste" of various other reviews. When I read about "musicality" and "warmth", I usually stop reading.

Quote:
Meh. French. biggrin.gif

yes, from France, I'm not, I'm french Canadian, I don't carry my loaf of bread under my arm:D


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jproy13 is offline  
post #47 of 793 Old 02-10-2013, 07:13 PM
Member
 
xftman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does 2700 or 3700 have pre-outs?
xftman is offline  
post #48 of 793 Old 02-10-2013, 07:42 PM
Senior Member
 
GaryWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington State
Posts: 342
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The 3700 does.
GaryWA is offline  
post #49 of 793 Old 02-11-2013, 01:46 PM
Newbie
 
brshoemak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

The $600 is dealer cost, Harman employee accomodation cost is $384...

I would have gotten in on the 3700 at accommodation pricing, but it wasn't available at the time. So I got a 1700 for $225 on the accommodation site - about 2 weeks before BB started selling them for $199 rolleyes.gif

Oh well, the 1700 sounds great with my new HKTS60 setup.
brshoemak is offline  
post #50 of 793 Old 02-13-2013, 07:08 PM
Newbie
 
Napalm007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I posted this on another thread but it appears this may have been the proper one. I have a quick question I was hoping to get some help with. I have a HK 7550HD avr and after 3 months it is cutting itself off frequently. HK tried to give me a 3650 which turns out to be a lesser model. I complained and was very vocal about my displeasure. After going up the chain and copying corporate on all my emails they have offered me a new 3700 instead of another refurb 7550. I only paid $600 for the 7550 and it is discontinued. Is the 3700 an upgrade or should i just get a replacement 7550? Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Napalm007 is offline  
post #51 of 793 Old 02-13-2013, 07:13 PM
Newbie
 
Napalm007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I should prob also say that I dont have any fancy speakers yet just some klipsch 5.1 entry level stuff and my main focus is movies tv and video games occasionally .
Napalm007 is offline  
post #52 of 793 Old 02-14-2013, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rnatalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 86
The 3700 is the best they offer right now, but the 7550 was a beast.
rnatalli is offline  
post #53 of 793 Old 02-14-2013, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
T2k
 
T2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napalm007 View Post

I posted this on another thread but it appears this may have been the proper one. I have a quick question I was hoping to get some help with. I have a HK 7550HD avr and after 3 months it is cutting itself off frequently. HK tried to give me a 3650 which turns out to be a lesser model. I complained and was very vocal about my displeasure. After going up the chain and copying corporate on all my emails they have offered me a new 3700 instead of another refurb 7550. I only paid $600 for the 7550 and it is discontinued. Is the 3700 an upgrade or should i just get a replacement 7550? Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

UI agree, 7550 is a beast but it lacks so many of the 3700's new features I'd definitely take the 3700 - hey, it's their new flagship, 4K, front heights (movies!) and all that jazz , not to mention there's nothing else to take... just get it. In case you don't like it/change your mind/whatnot I will take it over, for a fair price. smile.gif
T2k is offline  
post #54 of 793 Old 02-19-2013, 08:30 AM
Member
 
Musicmanlv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: LONDON
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I Purchased the Harman Kardon 370/3700, It looks a great peace of Kit, However there are a few problems with the installed software, If you use the Arc Feature, it some times stops working, then the remote won't function, so a full reset is required, you then have to set everything up again from scratch.

So a software update need to be available to solve this issue, the remote control function of using it as a remote control for your other products, does not seem to work either, also it is hard to find codes for non TV products such as DVR, Freesat box's ect. I tried all the codes within the manual and nothing seems to work.

In addition, what is annoying, because the HKTS 220 Wireless Subwoofer's block your wireless router connection, and cause noise disturbance from the router, you have to Hard Wire the Subwoofer, but that's not the issue, who ever designed the AVR 370 overlooked the fact, it only has 1 trigger out, since it boast being 7.2, you would think they would have 2 trigger outs for 2 Subs?

Considering the fact this is not cheap products, you would not expect such problems and them to be addressed at R&D stage. This is not what I would expect from Harman Kardon's product, considering the price they are asking for such products.

I have raised these issues with HK and I hope they will take these issues seriously and sort them out....

To the other persons question, it does have pre outs
Musicmanlv is offline  
post #55 of 793 Old 02-19-2013, 08:33 AM
Member
 
Musicmanlv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: LONDON
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I Purchased the Harman Kardon 370/3700, It looks a great peace of Kit, However there are a few problems with the installed software, If you use the Arc Feature, it some times stops working, then the remote won't function, so a full reset is required, you then have to set everything up again from scratch.

So a software update need to be available to solve this issue, the remote control function of using it as a remote control for your other products, does not seem to work either, also it is hard to find codes for non TV products such as DVR, Freesat box's ect. I tried all the codes within the manual and nothing seems to work.

In addition, what is annoying, because the HKTS 220 Wireless Subwoofer's block your wireless router connection, and cause noise disturbance from the router, you have to Hard Wire the Subwoofer, but that's not the issue, who ever designed the AVR 370 overlooked the fact, it only has 1 trigger out, since it boast being 7.2, you would think they would have 2 trigger outs for 2 Subs?

Considering the fact this is not cheap products, you would not expect such problems and them to be addressed at R&D stage. This is not what I would expect from Harman Kardon's product, considering the price they are asking for such products.

I have raised these issues with HK and I hope they will take these issues seriously and sort them out....
Musicmanlv is offline  
post #56 of 793 Old 02-19-2013, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
T2k
 
T2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Musicmanlv, yours is the first feedback, thanks for the review - can you work around ARC? Or do you use a TV-based cable/sat tuner so you must use ARC to have your audio decoded first? Hopefully they'll address your issue quickly...
That being said it seems we're having a better launch than the usual bugfest... well, I hope at least. smile.gif
T2k is offline  
post #57 of 793 Old 02-20-2013, 12:02 AM
Member
 
Musicmanlv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: LONDON
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you TV has an optical out or Audio Out, you can use that instead :-) Another point is, I discovered when watching some channels, Like CBS Drama, the AVR does not seem to decode properly in the rear speakers. Especially when the AVR is Set to Auto for the sound decoding, I find this strange and annoying, what I also find weird, no matter what channel, either from a TV or a Satellite Box, such as a Samsung SMT S7800 the AVR always put's it into Logic 7, even if the channel is transmitted in DOLBY.

I think this AVR has so many features, the product was launched to soon, before testing properly, the issue with all these company's is, they never take the products home and test them in an everyday environment, if they did, the problems would be detected much sooner, when they design them, they forget what is in an everyday household, that could effect the performance, or what the product can effect on other household products, such as a wireless router.

I also still find it amazing that they design a product to take 2 Subwoofers, but only have one trigger out... The is a big Boo Boo and the designers need to be rapped around the knuckles.

On reflection now, would I pay the price they are commanding or seek an alternative? Well with the current issues, not being able to speak to a person directly at HK in the development or technical department, I would probably seek an alternative. It's just not worth the headache, continuous emails and phone calls....
Musicmanlv is offline  
post #58 of 793 Old 02-20-2013, 02:10 AM
Member
 
Musicmanlv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: LONDON
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Instead of using the ARC connection, you can use the optical or Audio out if your TV has it. However what I also discovered yesterday was that from my Freesat Box, certain channels, I.e CBS Drama, the AVR does not decode the channel properly, you hear weird things happening in the rear speakers.

Another thing I noticed is, it does not matter what channel you watch, the AVR places it in LOGIC 7 Mode, when in auto select, even if transmitted in DOLBY.

On reflection, for the price Harman Kardon are commanding for these products, the problems I have been having, lack of speaking to a technical employee of HK, I would probably have looked for an alternative product.

The problem lies in the fact, all these companies don't take the products home and test them in a home environment, where everyday products are around the home, if they did that, they would detect the issues early and prior to launch. They released this product too early, it has many features, but what's the point if the software and attached products, I.e wireless subwoofers cause problems with your other products, like blocking a wireless connection to your wireless router.

The Engeneers and designers also need to be wrapped around the knuckles for designing a product that allows 2 Subwoofers, but only provide 1 trigger out, how redicioulas is that....

So only reflection I would have purchased an alternative product and spent that little extra cash, it would have been worth it, just not to have the hassle of emailing and calling HK to try and get these problems resolved...... smile.gif
Musicmanlv is offline  
post #59 of 793 Old 02-20-2013, 07:35 AM
Senior Member
 
ATWindsor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

Yup the 3700 is about 30 days behind the 2700, 1st production of 3700 has already been run.
Requires a TI DSP, the mentioned AVRs use a Cirrus Logic DSP so they need to have the S/W ported over. No biggee, just takes time and $..

Just my $0.02... wink.gif

Its quite a while ago that Ezset2 was sent to the market, shouldn't they have done this by know if they only need time? Could it be the tech has been imporved in the new 3700, but tey kept the old name?
ATWindsor is offline  
post #60 of 793 Old 02-20-2013, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
M Code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Joshua Tree, CA
Posts: 9,903
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATWindsor View Post

Its quite a while ago that Ezset2 was sent to the market, shouldn't they have done this by know if they only need time? Could it be the tech has been imporved in the new 3700, but they kept the old name?

Seems like they didn't pay the $... biggrin.gif
The Cirrus DSP processor used for the 1700/1700/270/2700/370/3700 doesn't have enough resources, they need to step up to the 49800 which HK is in their next generation...

Just my $0.02.. wink.gif
M Code is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Harman Kardon Avr 2700 7 1 Channel Av Receiver , Harman Kardon Avr 3700 7 2 Channel Av Receiver

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off