2013 4K Harman Kardon AVR 2700 & 3700 receivers - Page 31 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

Old 03-01-2016, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhHeaven View Post
Sooo I got the 7550hd.. I posted my experience so far, in another thread.

I'd like to tell you guys all about it BT I can't.. Me and my 7550hd is hanging out.. It's my new best buddy. :-) and he's got allot to say..

How does this receiver compare? I understand that it was built on the platform that the older AVR635 was built on. I had that receiver for years and really miss it. I too am considering going back in time. I currently run the Marantz SR7008, but I really miss that special dynamic sound of HK. Have you experienced any problems yet?

Main. Marantz SR7008, UD5007, Integra CD3.2 Paradigm Reference Studio 60v5 fronts, Reference Center, Rears, Def Tech Super Cube
Sony 46HX750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2016, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon Fan View Post
How does this receiver compare? I understand that it was built on the platform that the older AVR635 was built on. I had that receiver for years and really miss it. I too am considering going back in time. I currently run the Marantz SR7008, but I really miss that special dynamic sound of HK. Have you experienced any problems yet?

I'm scared you say that. My 3700 has underwhelmed since day 1 so I was looking into a 7008, what don't you like about it?
Old 03-01-2016, 11:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
The 3700, 2700, 1700 are a different chassis & design team than the 745, 645, 635, 435 series...
However the 7550HD is built using the 45/35 series tooling, the 3700/2700/1700 used a Cirrus Logic DSP and the 45/35 series used TI DSPs.

Just my $0.02...
Old 03-01-2016, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30cabrio View Post
I'm scared you say that. My 3700 has underwhelmed since day 1 so I was looking into a 7008, what don't you like about it?
Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the Marantz sound. It has a clear and dynamic sound, however there is only one sound that i feel was better and that was the HK AVR635. The distinctive sound is different to me. You will never want for more if you buy the sr 7008 or newer model. I tried 9 different receivers before settling on the Marantz. I decided against the HK AVR's because of a number of reasons including the dynamics and reliability of their new receivers. Anthem seemed to come the closest in sound, but I had other issues with video on those. The Marantz is a great receiver. Earlier, someone said on one of these pages that we should just let HK die and move on. It is hard to let go. My opinion.

Main. Marantz SR7008, UD5007, Integra CD3.2 Paradigm Reference Studio 60v5 fronts, Reference Center, Rears, Def Tech Super Cube
Sony 46HX750
Old 03-01-2016, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've had many H/K receiver in the past. When my last one quit working I came across a Sherwood Newcastle R-972. It was the closest receiver I had found that had a sound that was comparable to the sound from my H/K receivers. Unfortunately it is no longer in production so if it quits working I'm not sure what I will do. I've been told Marantz is good and has a warmer sound to it. I tried Yamaha's Aventage series and they were too bright for my liking. They lacked the warm full sound the H/K produced.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the Marantz sound. It has a clear and dynamic sound, however there is only one sound that i feel was better and that was the HK AVR635. The distinctive sound is different to me. You will never want for more if you buy the sr 7008 or newer model. I tried 9 different receivers before settling on the Marantz. I decided against the HK AVR's because of a number of reasons including the dynamics and reliability of their new receivers. Anthem seemed to come the closest in sound, but I had other issues with video on those. The Marantz is a great receiver. Earlier, someone said on one of these pages that we should just let HK die and move on. It is hard to let go. My opinion.

I miss my 645 it was my favorite AVR ever. The problem was HDMI inputs. I needed more. I loved the 7550HD WHEN IT WORKED.

HK "fixed" it several times finally after the 3rd failure I accepted the 3700. Even with the Emotiva amp which has lots of power it just does not do it for me.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
No problems what so ever. I cant even hear the fans unless I get about half a foot away from it. Only issue I have is, its no longer gonna be replicated. When it does die, Ill be super depressed cause I gotta tell ya, this unit is amazing. HK has gone another route and no longer wants to make this level of product. I realize a few people posted in here saying they had problems with there units but, think about this, HK probably made thousands of these, 10's of thousands. What percentage were bad? Probably a small percentage. Things break. I bought a MArantz a while back and it didnt work. I had to take it apart and fix it myself. It finally worked but the point is, things break for all kinds of reason.
I think my gamble was a good idea. I found a 7550HD, like new. Paid 750$ for it. Woulda paid more. But, I got lucky. I had Marantz, Pioneer, Sony, Nad, Yamaha, JBL Synthesis, Even had a HK 3700 or whatever there latest surround AVR is. Ill tell you with a straight face, none of um sound as good as this 7550HD. If someone offered me 2500$ I wouldnt sell it. Id have to probably buy a Lexicon MC12HD with there expensive amplifiers to get this kind of sound.
If you can ever find one, get it! I havent found one thing about this unit that sucks. The sound is so good that i think, IMO this unit will be a legendary peace like the HK990. Ive bought expensive separates that didnt sound this good. If I was you, Id start looking for a 7550HD and sell that Marantz cause its no competition. I wouldnt bull**** you...

Last edited by SeventhHeaven; 03-03-2016 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I have a bunch of Sony SS-K series speakers, the ss-k90ed and ss-k10ed. I have these connected to the 7550HD.
The minute I got it all connected, even in just plain stereo, no tweaking at all, using the pandora app on my TV with a optical connection, I smiled. I knew this unit was special.
I modified the passive crossovers in the speakers with all new Russian K73-16 caps and changed the L-padding. That increased the sound quality even more.
I download movies, dont have blueray player. I put all the downloaded movies on a thumbdrive and plug it into the TV. It plays 5.1 surround sound like this but cant do 7.1 so I havent been able to do 7.1 yet. No biggy. When I get to that level it will be like I have a new AVR. Well, I can say that even with crappy downloaded movies that are compressed down to just a few GB's, the sound is still amazing. This unit can play High Definiton True master Audio. I havent even gotten to that level it! and its still amazing. If an AVR could be sexy, this is the AVR. The sound is just "right" Whatever is in this unit, its not in any other brands. Its not in the newer HK units. You know that bass that makes the walls shutter, that surround sound that makes you move out the way cause it sounds like a wall of sound is headed in your direction? This is what it does but it does it the right way. It doesnt matter if you have 2 channel audio cause no matter what surround sound format, DTS Neo, Logic 7, Dolby PL II, it all makes it sound like your in a friggin movie theater. 2 channel stereo is just as impressive. The stereo music stage goes beyond the walls and over my head. I sometimes look to see if something or someone is next to me or behind me cause i hear things in music and movies that i aint never heard before.
I think hk is just retarded to quit making this level of product. Just consider that this 7550HD was the last great thing they made. The best they had to offer aside fromt eh HK990 stereo AVR. You would have to go with a Lexicon super high end MC12HD to get this level of sound and still have to buy a 7 channel amp with that !.....
The next upgrade for me will be a better TV and possibly a blueray player like an OPPO or some unit I can use to play 7.1 Master Audio with. At that point m sure Ill never leave home.. LOL..
Old 03-13-2016, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I have 2 working 645's. Paid a ton of money recently to one partially fixed (amp section works great, but switching between inputs is not working well, I set it to input and use it as an amp only). These were some the best units designed and made by HK. I have a 3700 also; and it going in for warrant repair.

The sound of the 645 far exceeds the 3700. Dread the thought of my 645's failing.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 745 recently fail on me right front channel.... Was told about 250 to repair. Do I DO IT or move on?
Old 03-19-2016, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

I never had any issues with my 645, I only replaced it because I needed more HDMi inputs. My 7550HD's issues were HDMI board and power supply related. If everything else is ok, and you are otherwise happy I'd fix it.

I'd have the shop give the rest of it a once over while they have it.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

My Adcom 7605 came yesterday125 WPC @ 8ohms all channels driven. It was a new old stock open box unit. The Emotiva 500 was good but this makes the 3700 very close to the 7550HD. Now if it would just stop shutting down for no reason.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
My Adcom 7605 came yesterday125 WPC @ 8ohms all channels driven. It was a new old stock open box unit. The Emotiva 500 was good but this makes the 3700 very close to the 7550HD. Now if it would just stop shutting down for no reason.

Are you using the optical input for audio?
Old 03-23-2016, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo72 View Post
Are you using the optical input for audio?
It is an amp, connected to the preamp outs of the AVR then the speakers are attached to the 7605 speaker outs.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
It is an amp, connected to the preamp outs of the AVR then the speakers are attached to the 7605 speaker outs.
So the external amp is shutting down? I mentioned the optical input as my 2700 would shut down after 30 minutes of use if I left it alone and didn't touch it. This only happened when I connected my source directly to the TV and ran an optical cable to my receiver. A firmware update which was supposed to have fixed the problem did not. I got rid of the HK.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member

No the 3700 sporadically shuts down, not after any specific time and not every day. The new amp just came, I wanted more power so I got another external amp to replace my Emotiva amp.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Fwiw since I got the Adcom no shutting down. It sounds better than the 7550HD but that may well be thanks to the ELAC speakers I got since the 7550 left.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Has anyone been successful using the IR in jack on the back of the 3700?

I have a table that blocks my remote and would like to put an IR receiver on the opposite end of the TV stand, where there is a straight line of sight path for the signal. As it is I have to really aim the remote to get the AVR to recognize the signal.

I chatted with H/K support and they indicated that "pretty much any" ir receiver would work, but the Monoprice receiver I had on-hand did not work.

I know there are numerous IR extenders that you can get that use the stick on emmitters, but I don't want to clutter up the front of the AVR with stick on solutions, unless this is the only option.

I noticed the H/K accessory that plugs into the IR port was powered and is no longer available, even on E-Bay.

Any success with using this back panel jack?
Old 05-16-2016, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post
Has anyone been successful using the IR in jack on the back of the 3700?

I have a table that blocks my remote and would like to put an IR receiver on the opposite end of the TV stand, where there is a straight line of sight path for the signal. As it is I have to really aim the remote to get the AVR to recognize the signal.

I chatted with H/K support and they indicated that "pretty much any" ir receiver would work, but the Monoprice receiver I had on-hand did not work.

I know there are numerous IR extenders that you can get that use the stick on emmitters, but I don't want to clutter up the front of the AVR with stick on solutions, unless this is the only option.

I noticed the H/K accessory that plugs into the IR port was powered and is no longer available, even on E-Bay.

Any success with using this back panel jack?
HK used to sell the HE1000 (supplied by Xantech) for that function, but this should work just fine..

http://www.amazon.com/IR-Repeater-Sy...n%3A2889592011

Note that to connect to the AVR, get a 3.5 m/m mono cable U from the junction box and plug into the AVR. U can use 1 of the included emitters but the cable is a kleener install.

Just my $0.02..
Old 05-16-2016, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks! I wasn't sure if a two ended 3.5 mm mono cable would work by plugging it into the junction box.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Watching Total Recall remake on my just installed Anthem MRX 720. difference is night & day!

Adios HK, this is my official divorce decree!

(anyone want a 3700)?
Old 05-21-2016, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll bet! There is a significant price difference as well, so the Anthem should sound very good.

Probably a combination of better room eq on the Anthem and overall design.

Enjoy the new toy!
Old 05-21-2016, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

I am still using my Adcom GFA 7605 for now until Atmos speakers arrive.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I had an HK AVR-247 that I loved, but the 2 HDMI inputs and no 3D or 4K support made me go looking. Ended up buying a Denon S900 to get all that. Well, it wasn't all that great! Nothing wrong with the AVR except that it wasn't long before HDMI and HDCP specs changed and it was no longer compatible with 4K.

I was missing that sweet HK sound, so I pulled my AVR-3600 that I got a bit back, out of the closet. Connected and really like having that sweet HK sound again. But it is getting older and it isn't fully compatible with 4K, nor is any HK these days. But I decided that I wanted a spare. Couldn't find one, but did find that harmanaudio had 3700 refurb'd for $349 and couldn't turn it down.

Yeah I know, it isn't 4K compatible either. But I've learned enough to know that is only an issue IF you are getting a 4K BluRay player. All the streaming and such is all DD or DD+ and optical can handle that with no issue. So since I don't have and probably won't buy a 4K BluRay player, that turns out to not be an issue.

I fully expect that the 3700 will be no better in most ways than the 3600, but it does have plenty of HDMI ports, and I need the spare since HK is out of the consumer AVR business.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lloyd
Old 05-26-2016, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lparsons21 View Post
I had an HK AVR-247 that I loved, but the 2 HDMI inputs and no 3D or 4K support made me go looking. Ended up buying a Denon S900 to get all that. Well, it wasn't all that great! Nothing wrong with the AVR except that it wasn't long before HDMI and HDCP specs changed and it was no longer compatible with 4K.

I was missing that sweet HK sound, so I pulled my AVR-3600 that I got a bit back, out of the closet. Connected and really like having that sweet HK sound again. But it is getting older and it isn't fully compatible with 4K, nor is any HK these days. But I decided that I wanted a spare. Couldn't find one, but did find that harmanaudio had 3700 refurb'd for $349 and couldn't turn it down.

Yeah I know, it isn't 4K compatible either. But I've learned enough to know that is only an issue IF you are getting a 4K BluRay player. All the streaming and such is all DD or DD+ and optical can handle that with no issue. So since I don't have and probably won't buy a 4K BluRay player, that turns out to not be an issue.

I fully expect that the 3700 will be no better in most ways than the 3600, but it does have plenty of HDMI ports, and I need the spare since HK is out of the consumer AVR business.

With my Adcom amp my 3700 was ok, I am glad to have it in my closet and love my new Anthem MRX 720.

Good luck with your 3700.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks.

Lloyd
Old 06-06-2016, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Got the 3700 today. Amazingly light compared to the 3600, hell, it is amazingly light compared to any previous HK I've had. Read up on class D amps which is what allows this jewel to be so light.

Setup was the usual breeze, took all of about 30 minutes to swap out AVR's and run the EZ/EQ. Had to reset the satellite speaker crossover as that set them very oddly. Kicked on some good music and movies for a bit and it still has that sweet sound that HK is so famous for. I was a bit concerned about that because of the Class D amps. I did notice that it does take a little more volume than the 3600 did for the same listening level.

Got the Harmony 1 programmed, but there are some issues it seems. I'll work on them tomorrow as well as naming the inputs properly. Sometimes when I use the Harmony 1 to change 'tasks' the AVR doesn't switch as it should, possibly I need to power up the source device first. Noticed this on the game consoles.

From an asthetics POV I'm not as fond of the appearance, but then I said that about the 3600 too! Really loved the soft blue volume light on my AVR-247, hated to see that go. And I really do NOT like the embedded volume control with its light!

I'm contemplating coupling this with the new Emotiva BAsx A-700 power amp. @80 wpc all 7 channels driven I'm not sure if it adds enough to really make a difference. A little feedback about that would be helpful. It is a shame that HK didn't keep rating them the old way with all channels driven.

Overall it was well worth the $350 it cost me, especially with the new AVR warranty!

Sent from my App Runtime for Chrome using Tapatalk

Lloyd
Old 06-06-2016, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:

Overall it was well worth the $350 it cost me, especially with the new AVR warranty!

Please keep AVS updated on your 3700...I Have debated about replacing my trusted Denon AVR-987 with a HK 2700...if the reliability is good on these I will...its hard to beat the price right now. Have you noticed any audio or video dropouts or any other odd problems? Thanks for your review and I hope the 3700 will be a keeper for you. Please keep AVS updated on your new HK!

<><

RTR
Old 06-06-2016, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Not noticed any real issues yet but I've only had it set up for a few hours.

Hmm... Yeah one issue, but it is one that I saw previously on a Denon. I have a 4K Sharp TV and if I let the AVR upscale to 4K instead of just passing through, sometimes the TV won't sync up properly. Not an actual problem since my TV does a superb job of upscaling itself.

I've read of that same issue on many of the upscaling 4K AVRs, so not peculiar to HK.

Lloyd
Old 06-06-2016, 07:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Got the 3700 today. Amazingly light compared to the 3600, hell, it is amazingly light compared to any previous HK I've had. Read up on class D amps which is what allows this jewel to be so light.

Setup was the usual breeze, took all of about 30 minutes to swap out AVR's and run the EZ/EQ. Had to reset the satellite speaker crossover as that set them very oddly. Kicked on some good music and movies for a bit and it still has that sweet sound that HK is so famous for. I was a bit concerned about that because of the Class D amps. I did notice that it does take a little more volume than the 3600 did for the same listening level.

Got the Harmony 1 programmed, but there are some issues it seems. I'll work on them tomorrow as well as naming the inputs properly. Sometimes when I use the Harmony 1 to change 'tasks' the AVR doesn't switch as it should, possibly I need to power up the source device first. Noticed this on the game consoles.

From an asthetics POV I'm not as fond of the appearance, but then I said that about the 3600 too! Really loved the soft blue volume light on my AVR-247, hated to see that go. And I really do NOT like the embedded volume control with its light!

I'm contemplating coupling this with the new Emotiva BAsx A-700 power amp. @80 wpc all 7 channels driven I'm not sure if it adds enough to really make a difference. A little feedback about that would be helpful. It is a shame that HK didn't keep rating them the old way with all channels driven.

Sent from my App Runtime for Chrome using Tapatalk
Correction...
The 3700 amplifiers are Class A-B not Class D, its power supply is a digital PWM design....

Just my $0.02...
haaaah700009 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Harman Kardon Avr 2700 7 1 Channel Av Receiver , Harman Kardon Avr 3700 7 2 Channel Av Receiver