2013 4K Harman Kardon AVR 2700 & 3700 receivers - Page 33 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #961 of 984 Old 06-24-2016, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
HK has the AVR2700/ AVR3700 refurbs listed at $199 & I think $300 ...

I was looking for 2 channel 3490 but those seem like good deals at those prices.

how is the 2700 for music? I have gotten rid of most of my speakers. I run 2 front mains and a sub on a different amp all together.

the 3700 is also $149 but its not enough power I dont think.

I am looking to replace a Sherwood Newcastle 863R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 984 Old 06-24-2016, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Guess that kills any hope I had of selling my 3700 for a reasonable amount.

It's currently sitting under a printer.
post #963 of 984 Old 06-25-2016, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Selling these AVRs is getting to be a royal PITA these days! I quit selling on EBay a long time ago as it was just getting to be too much of a hassle. Now even Craigslist is getting to be a PITA. Every time I list something and very specifically say "local sale only, sale will be done at my bank's lobby" I still get the scammers and they are getting better at it.

So I have 2 HKs and 2 Denons just gathering dust! The 3700 has been working just fine once I killed that screen saver. Only issue is it sometimes likes to ignore the Harmony One.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lloyd
post #964 of 984 Old 06-29-2016, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I switched from a hk avr 745 to hk 7550hd briefly and after finding it not that big an upgrade, I went with a NAD T775hd in 2011 on a big sale and still have it. Great receiver and love the sound. I love it even more than I loved the avr 745.
post #965 of 984 Old 07-02-2016, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Well these days there is good news and bad news, and most just so-so news. The only reasons that I would consider replacing an AVR these days is for actual working fully, 4K/UHD support. And after reading in a few threads here and at other forums, it seems that is an issue in one way or another, with all the AVRs out there.

Assuming that is so, and we sure know the full 4K 'experience' specs aren't really set in anything but mush, the only thing gained by switching to one of the AVRs that support 4K however good or bad, is just convenience and a little less cable planning.

IOW, I'll be waiting awhile to see how 4K finally gets fully implemented and working well and let others fight the good fight.

So in the meantime, I'll keep the 3700 connected or maybe put the 3600 back in place with an HDMI switch, and enjoy the sweet HK sound. Currently all my 4K sourcing is from my FireTV box with Netflix, Amazon and UltraFlix. It is connected to the TV via HDMI for video and optical to the 3600 for the audio. Probably not getting the full DD+ experience this way, but it is more than good enough at this time. If/when I get a 4K BluRay player, they are coming with 2 HDMI outputs, one for video the other for audio, my HKs will be just fine for that. Hell, even the AVR247 would be fine with all this if I added an HDMI switch to the mess.

All of this means that there isn't any compelling reason to be overly concerned that HK is out of the home AVR business.

Lloyd
post #966 of 984 Old 07-04-2016, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Yesterday the general twitchiness of the 3700 in my setup just became intolerable! So I broke out the 3600 and my HDMI switch and put the 3600 back into the mix. Immediately I noticed what I thought I saw and that was that the 3600 is more powerful than the 3700. On the 3700 most of my viewing was with volume set around -15, on the 3600 most viewing is with volume around -20. And the Harmony One gets along fine with the 3600, none of the random input changes that the 3700 was doing.

Since I diddled too long to just send the 3700 back I'll be in contact with them over the issues and see if they can actually fix them.

In the meantime I'm researching a replacement altogether. Currently considering the Onkyo SR757 and may very well just get one to try since my local BB has them in stock and has good return policies. Also on the list is a Denon 4200. While I've had Denons in the past and know the lower end of their line isn't 'warm', the 4200 supposedly is better at that.

The Onkyo 757 is an unknown other than marketing crap. Nothing here of value about it, probably because it just released last month from what I've read. I've no experience with Onkyo at all so it might be worth trying just because. And it is a rainy day today so golf is out of the question.

Lloyd
post #967 of 984 Old 07-06-2016, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by lparsons21 View Post
Yesterday the general twitchiness of the 3700 in my setup just became intolerable! So I broke out the 3600 and my HDMI switch and put the 3600 back into the mix. Immediately I noticed what I thought I saw and that was that the 3600 is more powerful than the 3700. On the 3700 most of my viewing was with volume set around -15, on the 3600 most viewing is with volume around -20. And the Harmony One gets along fine with the 3600, none of the random input changes that the 3700 was doing.

Since I diddled too long to just send the 3700 back I'll be in contact with them over the issues and see if they can actually fix them.

In the meantime I'm researching a replacement altogether. Currently considering the Onkyo SR757 and may very well just get one to try since my local BB has them in stock and has good return policies. Also on the list is a Denon 4200. While I've had Denons in the past and know the lower end of their line isn't 'warm', the 4200 supposedly is better at that.

The Onkyo 757 is an unknown other than marketing crap. Nothing here of value about it, probably because it just released last month from what I've read. I've no experience with Onkyo at all so it might be worth trying just because. And it is a rainy day today so golf is out of the question.

Just curious, but why are you shopping for a new receiver when you mentioned previously you have multiple spare HK receivers and no desire for 4K?

I like Denon but I’ve read a few instances stating the 2015 models (x200 series) run hot. I would strongly consider the Marantz slimline receivers as well.
post #968 of 984 Old 07-06-2016, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post
Just curious, but why are you shopping for a new receiver when you mentioned previously you have multiple spare HK receivers and no desire for 4K?

I like Denon but I’ve read a few instances stating the 2015 models (x200 series) run hot. I would strongly consider the Marantz slimline receivers as well.
I have 4K TV and some 4K sources, so I have been trying to decide if the convenience and neatness of not having cables running all over the place is worth it. With the HKs and Denons I have the only way to have 4K is to run the HDMI to the TV and get the sound via optical which is a reduction of audio since optical can only do DD.

I am testing an Onkyo TX-NR757 at the moment, probably will keep it but I have 45 days to decide. Assuming I do then I'll start playing the Craigslist game.

Lloyd
post #969 of 984 Old 07-06-2016, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
I have the only way to have 4K is to run the HDMI to the TV and get the sound via optical which is a reduction of audio since optical can only do DD.
I just bought my first AVR, doesn't have 2.2 HDCP, is the loss in audio that big of a deal? I'm on the fence about returning it and getting something better to go with my 4K TV. I'm not sure if I want to spend that much more for 2.2 HDCP and I'm looking for opinions out there.
post #970 of 984 Old 07-06-2016, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabrutis View Post
I just bought my first AVR, doesn't have 2.2 HDCP, is the loss in audio that big of a deal? I'm on the fence about returning it and getting something better to go with my 4K TV. I'm not sure if I want to spend that much more for 2.2 HDCP and I'm looking for opinions out there.
I fully understand where you're coming from. To me the more advanced audio codecs that optical won't handle are important. My setup is a 7.1 speaker arrangement and I like to get full use of it.

To me the audio is every bit as important as the video.

I don't know which AVR you have bought, but there are fairly inexpensive that do support 4K fully on at least some HDMI ports.

Lloyd
post #971 of 984 Old 07-06-2016, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
I fully understand where you're coming from. To me the more advanced audio codecs that optical won't handle are important. My setup is a 7.1 speaker arrangement and I like to get full use of it.

To me the audio is every bit as important as the video.

I don't know which AVR you have bought, but there are fairly inexpensive that do support 4K fully on at least some HDMI ports.
I bought the Denon X2000 for $300 refurbished. It has 4K, so it'll work for now, but when HDCP 2.2 is needed on everything it wont. I mainly stream netflix and game on my ps4 though, so I don't do a lot with Blu-ray, and I only have a 2.1 for now, which will upgrade to 5.1 in a few months.
lparsons21 likes this.
post #972 of 984 Old 07-08-2016, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Harman Kardon AVR 2700 . After several attempts to update BCO via USB and DMP user Interface, the " BCO update please wait " finally gone. But now all speakers has no sound coming out at all, same as headphone .I tried to reset and Automatic setup EZSet/EQ but still no luck. Since this unit is out of warranty, I don't know if its worth it to has a repair shop to fix it. Most likely I'll have to look for another receiver and bye bye HK for good.
post #973 of 984 Old 07-08-2016, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Yesterday was a very rainy day, so with time on my hands, as well as a few AVRs to twiddle with I decided to switch AVRs around and play a sequence of very good action with lots of strong audio as a test of the various AVRs in my setup.

The HK 3700 subwoofer output shot craps right out of the gate. So HK is replacing it and I shipped it today, probably take 2 weeks to get the replacement. I would have taken a refund, but I was outside that window. My reasoning is that I should have sent it back during that first 30 days. The HK AVR3600 is a much better unit that lacks some HDMI ports making the need for some creative connections important.

So I switched the HK 3600, Denon S900 and Onkyo 757 in the setup. Thank whoever suggested banana plugs! It only takes about 15 minutes to make the switch.

The Denon just doesn't have enough punch IMO. Bass is weak in comparison to either Onkyo or HK, even if I punched up the output level. Dialog is an issue at lower volume levels too.

Between the Onkyo 757 and HK 3600, the differences are there, but the really come up equal overall with one being a bit better in some things and the other better in other things. It depends on what I want to hear. With the HK the bass and lower mid-range is very, very smooth and refined, but dialog is a bit of an issue at lower volume levels. With the Onkyo the bass was more 'pronounced' I guess is a good way to put it, and dialog is very understandable at lower volume levels.

So the issue comes down to how much is having those 3 fully 4K compatible ports? With those ports I can connect the Dish receiver, FireTV box and coming soon, a 4K BD player and get the advanced audio codecs that FireTV and a 4K BD provide. That is important to me, but the question in the back of my mind is if it is worth $700 to have them? Fortunately I still have time to play 'swap the avr' before making that decision.

Lloyd
post #974 of 984 Old 07-15-2016, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

The other day, while the 3700 is off for replacement, I decided to connect the 3600 and check the speaker setup. Ran the autos and then did some checking and testing.

1. All distances were off substantially from measured ones. Set correct distances.
2. Crossover for satellites/center was 100hz, changed to 80Hz THX standard, changed sub to 120Hz
3. Used an SPL metering app on my iPhone 6+ to check levels, all very low. Adjusted for correct 75 reading for all sat/center speakers.
4. Sub was 'ear adjusted' after adjusting with the SPL meter. Just a little tweak there.
5. Adjusted levels of SL and SBL to compensate for my tinnitus in left ear.

Playing my preferred clips for this showed that because of the auto speaker setup settings being so off, it was hurting the overall performance of the 3600. I'll do this same thing with the 3700 when it returns as it doesn't take but a few minutes to do it all, including swapping the AVRs around.

After this I would rate the Onkyo 757 and HK AVR 3600 as equal for all practical audio purposes. The Onkyo gets an edge for 4K compliance on the 3 HDMI ports that support the proper HDCP. Assuming changes to the 3700 from an auto speaker setup hold similar to the 3600, then it too will be about equal.

So then the decision comes down to the 4K & audio issues.

With the 3700 there is a case to be made for doing some cable twiddling. For streaming boxes DD is generally good enough that DD+ isn't missed that much IMO. For 4K BluRay, they come with 2 HDMI outputs. One for video/audio and the 2nd is audio only. The idea being that you take the 'main' HDMI out to a 4K TV input and the audio to the AVR. With that in mind, the connections would be:

1. 4K BluRay - 'main' HDMI out to 4K input on TV, audio to one of the HDMI inputs on 3700
2. Dish Network Hopper 3 - Connect HDMI for video/optical for audio since it only puts out DD at best. There is only some VOD and Netflix on the Hopper 3 that has some 4K video, but that can be handled just fine from the next item.
3. Amazon FireTV Box - HDMI to 4K HDMI port on TV, optical from TV to 3700. With the FireTV there is Amazon Prime Video, Netflix and UltraFlix which have at least some 4K video, but no more than DD+ for audio.

I have noticed that I could use ARC instead of optical from the TV, but the optical cable is already there so there is no reason to do that. The disadvantage of using direct TV connections vice through the AVR is the loss of OSD and the loss of advanced audio codecs, in my case DD+.

With the Onkyo 757 it is straight connect all through the AVR, and of course, pay the $700 for that convenience.

Sent from my samus using Tapatalk

Lloyd
post #975 of 984 Old 07-18-2016, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 104
My 3700 lost that magic sound I remembered it having when I first powered it up. Re-ran set-up and still sound was not right.

Bass seemed to be diminished and treble was gone. Played with the 3 Dolby Volume settings, and even the Dolby Level control.

Fooling with the tone controls and turning the EQ on and off made some change, but something was lacking. When running the speaker test tones, they were very soft, even with the receiver set to a high volume level.

I ended up doing a processor reset via the front panel and that restored the magical sound I was used to.

Not sure what happened, although we did have a power outage for a few hours. The unit was in standby, so I didn't think it would be affected, but something made the unit perform more like an am radio than an AVR.

I'll run the eq again, once the house is quiet.
post #976 of 984 Old 07-18-2016, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 27
AVR 3700 Replacement?

The AVR3700 has been shown on the Harman Website as "unavailable" for a number of weeks.

Does this mean a new unit is imminent?
post #977 of 984 Old 07-18-2016, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Not unless they suddenly decide to re-enter the consumer AVR market.

There were some up a couple weeks ago, but they seem to go pretty quickly.

Sent from my samus using Tapatalk

Lloyd
post #978 of 984 Old 07-18-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichLinton View Post
The AVR3700 has been shown on the Harman Website as "unavailable" for a number of weeks.

Does this mean a new unit is imminent?
I have one I replaced with an Anthem MRX 720 I'll let go inexpensively.
post #979 of 984 Old 07-18-2016, 04:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 350
As I posted several weeks back..
Harman/Kardon has abandoned the AVR product category, and there are no new models in the pipeline...
They have shifted their resources to the product categories of BT speakers, multi-room systems and headphones..

Just my $0.02...
post #980 of 984 Old 07-18-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post
As I posted several weeks back..
Harman/Kardon has abandoned the AVR product category, and there are no new models in the pipeline...
They have shifted their resources to the product categories of BT speakers, multi-room systems and headphones..

Just my $0.02...
Don't forget cars!
post #981 of 984 Old Today, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Well this just sucks!!

Called HarmanAudio to find out why my replacement hadn't shipped. Found out they didn't have any 3700s and at this moment, don't know when they would get more.

They suggested I buy something else from them. I suggested that was not an adequate solution. I told them their two choices were:
1. Refund the purchase price of this less than 2 month old AVR.
2. Expedite the repair of the unit I sent them.

They won't refund since I've had it more than 45 days. Then they said they could return the defective unit and I could take it to St. Louis (about 100 miles) to have it repaired. I assume I could also ship it to that repair center. They will pay for that repair but will not call and ship the unit to them for repair and sending it to me. Of course, that is after I call one or both of the repair centers to see if they actually can fix the AVR.

That's where it sits from a phone call. Now I will generate an email to them explaining what I expect and the 2 options I'm willing to accept. I want everything in writing.

Since I'm retired I can devote exactly as much time to this as I need to, but in the end they will provide either $349.99 or a working unit. If they don't they won't like what I do next.

Lloyd
post #982 of 984 Old Today, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Well this just sucks!!

Called HarmanAudio to find out why my replacement hadn't shipped. Found out they didn't have any 3700s and at this moment, don't know when they would get more.

They suggested I buy something else from them. I suggested that was not an adequate solution. I told them their two choices were:
1. Refund the purchase price of this less than 2 month old AVR.
2. Expedite the repair of the unit I sent them.

They won't refund since I've had it more than 45 days. Then they said they could return the defective unit and I could take it to St. Louis (about 100 miles) to have it repaired. I assume I could also ship it to that repair center. They will pay for that repair but will not call and ship the unit to them for repair and sending it to me. Of course, that is after I call one or both of the repair centers to see if they actually can fix the AVR.

That's where it sits from a phone call. Now I will generate an email to them explaining what I expect and the 2 options I'm willing to accept. I want everything in writing.

Since I'm retired I can devote exactly as much time to this as I need to, but in the end they will provide either $349.99 or a working unit. If they don't they won't like what I do next.

Sorry that happened. I'd suggest calling corporate but that is a waste of time. I fell your pain but at least you didn't pay the 999.99 retail many (like me) did in 2013.

I hope you find a reasonable solution.
post #983 of 984 Old Today, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

...now 'the rest of the story'!

Just got a call back from HarmanAudio and they are refunding the payment since they cannot produce a working 3700 for me. While I would actually rather have gotten a working replacement, this will work for me.

The 1st line CSR worked to make this happen and I appreciate his efforts and the result.

I have an Onkyo 757 that I was trying out and it has been very good, still have 30 days to decide to keep it or not, but I think with this result tonight I will almost certainly keep it.

Lloyd
post #984 of 984 Old Today, 07:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30cabrio View Post
Don't forget cars!
Profits for Harman Internatonal from their OE infotainment group is pertinent...
The only reason they are still in certain consumer CE product categories are so that they can lever their heritage and brand reputation for their auto OE clients. Any substantial technology/product committment to their pro-audio and consumer categories went away with the retirement of Dr.Harman, the later management is focused totally on bottom-line financial performance.

Just my $0.02...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Harman Kardon Avr 2700 7 1 Channel Av Receiver , Harman Kardon Avr 3700 7 2 Channel Av Receiver